Can our violence be terror?

Jacob Burris, an Arkansas Democratic campaign manager, came home one very cold day this past January to find his cat mutilated on his doorstep with the word “liberal” etched into its body. Democrat Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis’ Fort Worth office was firebombed by Molotov cocktails several weeks ago. Former Arizona Democrat Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was gunned down in a Tucson parking lot in January 2011. And Oscar Ortega was sentenced to 25 years in prison for firing a semi-automatic assault rifle at the residential quarters of the White House in November 2011.

It’s interesting – and, of course, good – that I haven’t seen any comparable national headlines about Republican politicians.

Every assassin or terrorist involved in these atrocities has been labeled mentally unstable or insane. So, insanity has driven these recent attacks on Democrats. They weren’t politically motivated at all, apparently. Nevertheless, I still wonder if the current rhetoric against Democrats might also have had the slightest little something to do with them.

I frequently hear high-ranking Republicans say President Obama is the single greatest threat ever to this country. That Democrats are baby killers who want to take all your money, confiscate your guns and murder your grandparents with Medicare death panels. When respected political leaders are relentlessly saying the current president and his party are basically worse than Hitler, why is it impossible that this kind of vitriol might scare or influence people into committing mentally unstable acts?

Despite being branded worse than the 9-11 terrorists by the Republican leadership, as a Democrat the most important thing to me is that any legally elected politician remain safely in office until they are lawfully voted out. After all, if we kill or terrorize our political opponents, how are we any different from what Syrian President Bashar Assad or the Myanmar military junta are currently doing to theirs?

Nathan Kirby

Augusta

faithson
faithson 04/13/12 - 12:42 am
Thanks Nat, well said. Words

Thanks Nat, well said. Words do have consequences; on both sides.

omnomnom
omnomnom 04/13/12 - 02:38 am
I would not doubt that if

I would not doubt that if what you sat Mr. Kirby hasn't already happened, it will. The whole kinder-gentler-nation thing sorta went down the tubes before baby Bush was elected. Ugh.

desertcat6
desertcat6 04/13/12 - 05:15 am
Dig a little deeper and you

Dig a little deeper and you will find physical violence is occuring on both sides. Shots were fired at the Bush Whitehouse in 2004. More recently Republican organizers were beaten in New Orleans, and a mug of beer was thrown at a Republican politician. Union activists have contributed with violence and intimidation too. Of course, the glitter and white powder bomb, and pie attacks by liberals are continuing. Liberals are just as guilty of raising the hate level in speech and tone against conservatives.

Techfan
Techfan 04/13/12 - 07:00 am
I would consider glitter and

I would consider glitter and pie attacks as more political theater than terrorism.

TParty
TParty 04/13/12 - 07:25 am
It's called a glitter bomb,

It's called a glitter bomb, Techfan. A BOMB!! Much more dangerous.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/13/12 - 07:27 am
amnesia is a wonderful

amnesia is a wonderful gift.....

Techfan
Techfan 04/13/12 - 08:19 am
Ishtar was a bomb too. Very

Ishtar was a bomb too. Very dangerous.

faithson
faithson 04/13/12 - 08:47 am
President Obama is “trying to

President Obama is “trying to destroy the free enterprise system.”
“I believe if Barack Obama is re-elected, I’m not sure this country can survive.." Rep Broun (republican). Running against instead of running for, all these guys can do is come up with the Apocalypse to support their arguments. A whole lot of 'sick' people out there see the elimination of the source of 'evil' by acts of violence instead of the voting booth as OK. remember well the cheering at school when the news of JFK's death came down, we are not as civilized as a lot would think.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/13/12 - 09:24 am
faithsom--your memory is

faithsom--your memory is faulty ---i'm 57 and all i remember is saddness at kennedys death...and the prez is trying to fundamentally change this country..his words...and it is against all traditional values of hard work etc..again amnesia is a wonderful gift for dims

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/13/12 - 09:26 am
If you have enough rhetoric

If you have enough rhetoric eventually the nuts will come out of the woodwork. I think every instance of "terror" against a Democrat has been by a lone wolf nutcase. The attack on Gabrielle Giffords does not appear to have been a Democrat/Republican motivated crime and has no bearing here. And there has been a few cases of the same kind of thing against Republicans. One difference is that the violence and property damage committed by union protesters and OWS is organized, intentional and sanctioned, and even endorsed, by members of the Democrat party. I have not seen any organized violence or property damage from any conservative group.

faithson
faithson 04/13/12 - 10:51 am
nofan; being an irish

nofan; being an irish catholic, there was much 'sadness and lamenting' at my house. On the other hand, at a public school in a very fundamentalist community, there was a certain amount of 'god's will being done'.

faithson
faithson 04/13/12 - 12:40 pm
Friess told Fox Business

Friess told Fox Business News' Lou Dobbs on Wednesday. "Now that they've kind of trained their barrels on President Obama I'm afraid his, I hope his teleprompters are bulletproof." twisted minds agree with this statement and not in the way it was meant. enough said

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/13/12 - 12:48 pm
i was living in the country

i was living in the country in IOWA and was sitting in the local town at a busy barbershop when it was learned..everyone was shocked saddened and in dsibelief. i'm sorry i do not believe it to be the norm that it was god's will in the fundamental community concerning kennedys assisnation.

faithson
faithson 04/13/12 - 03:43 pm
nofan; lived in a terribly

nofan; lived in a terribly anti catholic area (menannite, church of christ, etc.) in the Ohio Amish country. Only two catholic families in the whole school district, ours being one of them. Interesting experience when it came to having my school yard friends over to the house... NOT!

Techfan
Techfan 04/13/12 - 05:03 pm
I don't see anyone endorsing

I don't see anyone endorsing violence and property damage. There have been quite a few stories about OWS that are made up. I also haven't seen police in riot gear beating and pepper spraying peaceful right wing demonstrators.

Smoke On The Water
Smoke On The Water 04/13/12 - 05:50 pm
Where it all began,in a

Where it all began,in a campaign speech Sept.18,2008.

"I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face."~Barack Obama

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/13/12 - 06:15 pm
Good posit dichotomy. Plenty

Good posit dichotomy. Plenty of violence all around-remember Kent State. I remember being tear gased at the 1972 Rep Convention in Miami. I couldn't believe the attempt to suppress free speech and basically we were just standing around one minute (doing nothing as I recall) and next being gased. Chaos. Went home. You do have to wonder how old Nathan is when he makes such naive statements. Reagan was shot and nearly died. I think there were attempts thwarted on Obama and the last 7 or 8 presidents. Nixon, Ford, Carter, both Bushes, Clinton, bunch of em. We need to call Nathan Rumpelstiltskinarro because he likes to take straw and weave strawmen rather than gold.

KSL
KSL 04/13/12 - 06:45 pm
We were on our honeymoon

We were on our honeymoon during the Democrat convention in 1968. Plenty of violence there, as well. At the Convention, not on our honeymoon. LOL.

KSL
KSL 04/13/12 - 06:51 pm
First sentence of this

First sentence of this idiotic letter: Jacob Burris, an Arkansas Democratic campaign manager, came home one very cold day this past January to find his cat mutilated on his doorstep with the word “liberal” etched into its body.

More than likely it was done by a liberal to implicate so-called conservative hatred.

To understand the mindset of normal conservatives versus liberals, like the ows'ers, just take a look at the aftermath pictures and the arrests made.

Techfan
Techfan 04/13/12 - 07:01 pm
And Rep. Giffords shot

And Rep. Giffords shot herself.

Pu239
Pu239 04/13/12 - 07:08 pm
Reagan shot himself

Reagan shot himself too...right techfan?

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/13/12 - 08:53 pm
Your on a roll Tech. ROFL.

Your on a roll Tech. ROFL. Ishtar and now Gifford. Reminds me of the movie Walk Hard where his brother and later his father cut themselves in half with a machete.

KSL
KSL 04/13/12 - 08:59 pm
Bizkit, I have no idea of

Bizkit, I have no idea of what you are talking about, but the beauty in your comments, as always, is that I know there is reason enough when you intend humor to make me laugh! And knowing you, you made me laugh.

KSL
KSL 04/13/12 - 08:59 pm
One crazy person acting

One crazy person acting alone, Tech, leads to dissing a whole movement? That's saying that person was a conservative? So far, we only know he was a kook.