HPV vaccine bill is wrong

Have we arrived to a place where we have no sanity left – where no fiber of conscience causes us to say “This is not right!” and with no red flags or voice of opposition to the permissiveness of our society? Should parents give in and say it is just fine for their beautiful 13-year-old daughters to be promiscuous?

A South Carolina House panel has passed a bill that would give free vaccines to sixth-grade girls to prevent them from getting a sexually transmitted disease that would cause cancer.

State Rep. Bakari Sellers is quoted in the March 30 issue of The Augusta Chronicle: “(His) bill is about saving lives and money. The cost of providing the vaccine would be less than taxpayers might pay later for Medicaid and emergency room visits to treat cervical cancer. (Sellers said) ‘Being preventive is very important.’”

The thinking behind this is that your 12- or 13-year-old daughter is going to have sex anyway, so let’s protect her.

Maybe it would a good idea to stop giving condoms to the students in school, and perhaps even start teaching morals and clean living. Of course this would be difficult because, in so doing, we would be teaching exactly how the Bible tells us to live, and that would be against the law.

Since we can’t do that, how about teaching all the bad things that can happen when we don’t live according to the Bible? How about the broken hearts, like those of parents who are crushed when their children turn away from them to enter lifestyles that are against parents’ wishes?

How about teaching the horrors of drugs? Something must be missing because their use is rampant on our high-school campuses.

Are we just to give up? Could it be that we made a very big mistake in America when we took God and His Word out of our society?

Gil Ward

Evans

Comments (30)

specsta
specsta 04/10/12 - 12:04 am

Mr./Ms. Ward, you are

Mr./Ms. Ward, you are applying your moral agenda to a very real problem that affects both men and women.

According to the CDC, 12,000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer every year and 4000 women die from it. On top of that, HPV can cause other cancers that affect both men and women, including throat cancer, penile cancer and vaginal cancer. It can also cause genital warts.

The idea behind early vaccination is to induce immunity against HPV before sexual activity takes place. The HPV vaccine is not recommended for women over 26 years of age, due to reduced benefits of the vaccine.

For a parent to be proactive about their daughter's health is the best parenting imaginable. There is a vaccine that can PREVENT a cancer! How anyone can throw some sort of moral objection to ensuring a young girl's health in almost unbelievable to me.

I would suggest that the letter writer do some research before jumping on a moral bandwagon because he/she is uncomfortable with discussing human sexuality on an unbiased and scientific level.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 04/10/12 - 04:56 am

I agree with you

I agree with you wholeheartedly specsta. We're talking science not morality.

Jane18
Jane18 04/10/12 - 07:55 am

Too bad ethics and morals

Too bad ethics and morals aren't taught. Of course, that would put parents and teachers on the spot, wouldn't it?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 04/10/12 - 08:09 am

I agree with you too Jane.

I agree with you too Jane. Ethics and morals should be taught. The problem is we have parents that have no business having kids. Times have really changed since I was a kid. There was accountability and consequences for one's actions. Nowadays with all the filth on TV and movies and everything is sex sex sex. It makes me want to throw up. I don't know what the answer is but if we don't start making some changes in our child rearing we're going to have a nation of idiots and when that happens we're through.

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/10/12 - 08:27 am

This is a health issue and

This is a health issue and should be addressed as a health issue. It is now true that girls are thinking of sex at a much earlier age and are willing. Protection for them against certain cancers is good. Morality znc ethics should be taught at home but is a given fact that so many parents could care less. Notice that Mr. Sellers said Medicaid and emergency room visits-He has to be talking about the poor among us.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 08:56 am

Specsta wrote: There is a

Specsta wrote:

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/10/12 - 09:49 am

One way or another if we pay

One way or another if we pay taxes and/or pay for health insurance, we are paying for the health care of the uninsured. I’d rather see HPV vaccinations and birth control pills paid for with taxpayer dollars than pay for the consequences.

deadline
deadline 04/10/12 - 09:50 am

"The moral objection is

"The moral objection is against forcibly making me pay for someone else's medical costs."

Understandable, but since you are paying into medicaid/medicare, you already pay for smokers, drinkers, drug users, baby factories...

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 04/10/12 - 09:50 am

It looks like it's "Gil-time"

It looks like it's "Gil-time" again. This cat has a letter in The Chronicle about every other month, doesn't he?
If I'm not wrong, the title of GW's letter is "HPV vaccine bill is wrong" - correct?
That's interesting because GW spends about 20% of his letter "sort of" telling us why the vaccine bill is wrong and about 80% of his letter going on a Biblical crusade - hmmmmm?
But, that's exactly what I've come to expect from The Chronicle. If you print anything "pro-religious", it's got at least a shot of being printed.
I quote from Gil's last sentence:"..............we made a very big mistake in America when we took God and His word out of our society?"
Just where and when did that happen? I can only think of two examples. One is called seperation of church and state (ex. No ten commandments at court houses) and the other is the removal (if that's the word) of creationism from science curriculum (and rightly so because when you have zero evidence.....well, it's hard to plead your case). Yet, the word God is still in The Pledge of Allegiance and In God We Trust is still on U.S. currency. Interesting?
Why I waste my break time on here is beyond me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 10:06 am

Pearl said..... Why I waste

Pearl said.....

Why I waste my break time on here is beyond me.

Ya funny this am....you are addicted to this crazy house....that is why!

Well well....ole Gil....Just telling kids to stay pure til marriage just ain't working--now is it......we will pay for babies---jails----housing---medical care...soooo why not do something B4 these things happen.....I for one will agree to birth control pills...medical exams...teaching the young about their body & how to prevent pregnancy........please come out of the dark ages....our kids are out already.

allhans
21956
allhans 04/10/12 - 10:07 am

What on earth has happened to

What on earth has happened to people? Have they no morals left at all?
Teaching CHILDREN how to have safe sex...MY..MY

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 10:14 am

No DUH DUH....let us pretend

No DUH DUH....let us pretend we don't have kids having babies & keep puting our HEADS in the sands....
Keep filling our jails with these kids having babies....let's just play stooopid....if it doesn't happen in OUR LITTE world it couldn't be REAL...GEEEZ

think outside your cubicle for a change

allhans
21956
allhans 04/10/12 - 10:31 am

More one parent

More one parent children--just exactly what we need.

Not trying to be disagreeable but we can't have it both ways. Having sex will make babies..You can't change that. Hand out all the bc in the world and it won't stop pregnancies (except of course sterilization). Children are just that - children. They don't see the danger in unprotected sex, (note: they think oral sex is "safe")...

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 10:41 am

You know what allhans....I

You know what allhans....I debated corgi on this very thing we are discussing now.....I said grammar school kids need lessons in bc??? I couldn't believe it....She said (she sees it first hand) wake up & smell the coffee....that kids in todays world...know about sex---see sex at home--see it in tv--they are in THE KNOW.....they try it---she said some young boys even approach her with suggestive motions at school...
SOOOO my thinking changed when she explained how MUCH kids know now....this is NOT the 50s---or 60ss...or even the 70ss...what we learned at 13....kids now know at 7 or 8 years of age...believe it or not....
So what is your solution ????.....Just say don't do it--IS NOT WORKING!!

DaddyFrog
DaddyFrog 04/10/12 - 10:47 am

The HPV Bill is probably a

The HPV Bill is probably a good thing. The only problem I have is with the vaccine. What will be the long term effects ? Hopefully there have been enough trials with it to know. But still if it were me I couldn't help but wonder, am I doing the right thing for my daughter, especially when it comes to her reproductive system.
I have not heard of any public schools in this area giving out condoms to students. There is nothing to prevent parents from teaching their children morals according to their beliefs. The home is the place to instill faith and belief. The Supreme Court decisions on school prayer did not say a child cannot pray in school.They said there cannot be a state mandated prayer or Bible reading.Do you really want a teacher teaching a religious belief that is contrary to yours ? Pupils and teachers do not have to leave their religion at the door. There are guidelines that are online. Know your rights and exercise them. Schools have Fellowship of Christian Athletes clubs that meet on campus, and there are Bible study groups that meet before and after school also on campus. As far as teaching about the evils of drugs there is D.A.R.E.. The only way God will be taken out of society is if believers allow it to happen by not knowing and exericising their rights and not teaching their children the Way.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/10/12 - 10:54 am

Because we live in such a

Because we live in such a degraded society where nothing is sacred anymore, I have to tend to agree with seenit on this. Although there are some parents who try and instill morals and personal responsiblity in their children, they are exposed daily to those who have not. You can guard your children, teach them the best you can, but ultimately, I'd rather have a child protected who did not listen, than to have a dead one or an unplanned pregnancy.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 11:07 am

You know, every drug ever

You know, every drug ever invented has some side effects. And every drug ever invented causes allergic reactions in a small population that takes the drug. Here we would be vaccinating a large population with a drug to prevent a disease that affects only a very small population. The side effects and the allergic reactions might impact more people than the disease does.

Remember, HPV is not the only cause of cervical cancer, so you will still have a certain number of cervical cancer cases even if every girl is vaccinated.

The ones behind this "free" vaccination drive is the maker of the vaccination drug. If this drug is so great, parents would be crowding doctors offices and public health clinics to have their girls vaccinated. I think you would find that if they make this drug available in schools, that many parents would still opt out.

The only way to make the program successful would be to force sixth graders (girls and boys) to take the drug (unless parents sign a waiver that they are opposed to all vaccinations by reason of religious conviction).

Bizkit
21954
Bizkit 04/10/12 - 11:45 am

Now pediatricians are giving

Now pediatricians are giving the vaccine to boys and girls. Why is legislation discriminatory against males. HPV associates with cervical, oral, anal and penile cancers too. Right now parents can opt out of vaccination for religious reasons. Now of all of medicine vaccinations are probably the greatest contribution to preventive medicine (second only to antibiotics which is losing an arms race against bacteria). It only takes advantage of the human response to a pathogen where you get sick but it leaves you with memory T and B cells that will immediately fight a reoccurence preventing illness. The pathogen has just been attentuated or the pathogenic genes removed so you don't get sick just immune. It is no drug just antigenic epitopes of the pathogen This is to create a herd immunity before they become sexually active. Once that horse has left the gate it likely too late. It is a vaccine that every child should take but I don't understand the government intervention in the issue.

msitua
msitua 04/10/12 - 01:11 pm

Goog Grief-forget the

Goog Grief-forget the religious/moral/monetary issue in the HPV vaccine. It has never been tested properly, nobody knows if it even works because the time period hasn't been long enough and it's just plain dangerous. If you check our the CDC's VAERS reports(even very under reported by families) there are over a hundred deaths of young girls since its inception, and thousands have been injured from it and many peermanently. Educate before you vaccinate.
Maurine Meleck

Bizkit
21954
Bizkit 04/10/12 - 01:23 pm

Free vaccines. No, (thanks

Free vaccines. No, (thanks Lamb) tax payers are paying for it. You know that evil 1% the OWS keep ranting against.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 01:20 pm

Hey, Bizkit, I think you

Hey, Bizkit, I think you might want to go edit your comment to put a comma after the word "no."

Bizkit
21954
Bizkit 04/10/12 - 01:26 pm

Actually a 4 year study of

Actually a 4 year study of American girls immunized 14-16, and similar studies in Australia and China found the vaccine is well tolerated with little adverse reactions. The VAERS data isn't cause and effect it is just a report. As of September 15, 2011, approximately 40 million doses of Gardasil® were distributed in the U.S. and VAERS received a total of 20,096 reports of adverse events following Gardasil® vaccination: 19,075 reports among females and 569 reports for males, of which 504 reports were received after the vaccine was licensed for males in October 2009. VAERS received 452 reports of unknown gender. Of the total number of VAERS reports following Gardasil®, 92% were considered to be non-serious, and 8% were considered serious. %he VAERS gives the data but it may be coincidence with another cause or it maybe the Gardisil-you don't know. There have been 71 death after 40 million doses but still you don't know if it the vaccine or another cause.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/10/12 - 02:05 pm

@ Misitua: "Goog

@ Misitua: "Goog Grief-forget the religious/moral/monetary issue in the HPV vaccine. It has never been tested properly, nobody knows if it even works because the time period hasn't been long enough and it's just plain dangerous. If you check our the CDC's VAERS reports"

Bizkit posted some of this report, but see for yourself:

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/10/12 - 02:56 pm

Do you people realize that if

Do you people realize that if they are vaccinated NOW that when they do become active maybe even after marriage that they will still be protected? The ignorance of the moral police. BTW I know many bible toting and church every Sunday men and women who have had affairs which put their husbands/wives at risk for HPV and whatever else they brought home. Do you think that marriage is safe??? Really look at our countries divorce rates and extra maritial affairs. Many of them fine Christian folks! I am not knocking Christainity at all because I am a Christain myself but I am not an ignorant one that is for sure!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 02:21 pm

I found this in a Chronicle

I found this in a Chronicle article from 2006, when Gardasil was just being introduced:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, . . . by age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection.

That sounds pretty high to me. Are there symptoms?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 02:33 pm

scooby said.... BTW I know

scooby said....

bible toting folks sometimes drop their bible.....& theeengs happen..LOL
yall are killing me today....:)

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/10/12 - 02:36 pm
jessica127
jessica127 04/10/12 - 02:47 pm

Protecting your children from

Protecting your children from cancer is not immoral. I still have a look of bewilderment at this letter. I was a test subject for Gardisil at MCG for 3 years and even got interviewed by a leading health/science magazine about the study and why I chose to participate. Which was cool I might add. The interviewer asked me why I chose to be a participant and my answer was because God has blessed me with 3 beautiful children and if i can in some way prevent them AND ANYONE ELSE to not have cancer in their body then I am all for being a test subject. My 14 year old daughter was vaccinated at 12 and my son just received his first round of 3 shots of the gardisil. Never in my mind did I ever have a thought of them becoming promiscuous!

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/10/12 - 02:57 pm

Seenit thanks for the laugh

Seenit thanks for the laugh lol.

Bizkit
21954
Bizkit 04/10/12 - 06:43 pm

The vaccination against human

The vaccination against human papillomavirus (HPV) reduces the risk of a renewed HPV-associated illness in patients who have already had diseases as a consequence of an HPV infection. That is the result of a study being led by Elmar Joura from the University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the MedUni Vienna and which has now been published in the British Medical Journal. It had previously been the view that the HPV vaccination had a purely preventative effect and was also only effective in young women and men.