Back Peebles for sheriff

I am so tired of the race issue in politics. When it comes to the best-qualified candidate, it shouldn’t matter what race the candidate is.

I am proud to say I’m black, and I will support Capt. Scott Peebles in the race for Richmond County sheriff. Sheriff Ronnie Strength’s shoes will be hard to fill; that’s why Scott is the only candidate qualified. He has earned the title. Let’s give him what he has worked so hard for.

Scott had a vision to be a sheriff when he was 5 years old. The time has come.

Willa Hilton

Hephzibah

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 05:03 am
I'm supporting the lone

I'm supporting the lone conservative Republican candidate, Freddie Sanders, but from the revelations that have come out about Peebles and Roundtree, it would appear Silas or Ivey would be better choices for the Democrats. I've heard absolutely zero negatives about those two.

americafirst
americafirst 04/09/12 - 09:13 am
RM1, I have been out of town

RM1, I have been out of town for the Masters. What revelations about Peebles?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/09/12 - 08:02 am
I think Sanders would be the

I think Sanders would be the best choice too......I hope the people in South Augusta can see that also......he cares about the area....he certainly won't be doing this for the money......if you want to feel safe in your own home again...pls give him a chance.

allhans
allhans 04/09/12 - 10:54 am
This election is for Richmond

This election is for Richmond County residents, is that right?

And RM..yes, what about Peebles. We need all the information we can get..
You already know I am not a Freddie fan..so he is not even in the running for me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 11:19 am
Allhans and America...read

Allhans and America...read the comments under Sylvia's column of 24 March. Don't feel bad guys, I was a Peebles supporter and probably the last person to find out. Austin knows about it and offerred to fill me in, but a RCSO officer began to email with me about the story. It's not one of those things I can specifically state here until it breaks somewhere in print. Supposedly, Roundtree's people are going to break the story soon.

But let me go into generalizations here about RCSO rules. To my surprise there is no regulation I learned about married employees having affairs with other employees. Many of those who commented said that was basically no one's business. Now we have the U. of Ark. considering whether to fire Bobby Petrino for having an affair with an Athletic Dept. employee. So what is the right policy, written or not? Should it matter?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 11:21 am
Allhans, I don't know what

Allhans, I don't know what county you live in, but you can contribute to candidates in other counties as I've done previously. Augusta is the hub of the CSRA and what happens there affects the entire region.

americafirst
americafirst 04/09/12 - 11:34 am
They do have a policy

They do have a policy concerning "conduct unbecoming an officer."

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/09/12 - 12:40 pm
allhans asked This election

allhans asked

This election is for Richmond County residents, is that right?

Yes but just as RM said there are ways to contribute....I do....my family-grandkids & many friends live in Richmond county....what happens there does have an impact on me...I really want a better & safe Augusta.....
If I posted how many have been hit with crime in just the last 5 years...I would be posting longer than I have time right now.....most of this happened in Richmond county.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 04/09/12 - 01:58 pm
Yep...RM was contacted by

Yep...RM was contacted by someone with an agenda, and he went for it hook, line, and sinker. I offered to give him the facts, and he did not care to hear them.

So...anonymous tattletales with axes to grind get to have their way.

Welcome to the internet.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 02:24 pm
Austin, I take it after your

Austin, I take it after your comments on the 24th, you don't think there's anything wrong with a married RCSO officer messing around with another female employee? That's basically what you said, I THINK. You went into it would be impossible to have such a rule because people could be manipulated into having affairs and so on? So did he or didn't he? Heck, I really don't know. Exactly what are you saying?

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 02:25 pm
Sanders is by far the BEST

Sanders is by far the BEST candidate who will be the most independent sheriff. Look at it folks.. he is not doing this for the money.. in fact it will be a big pay cut for him. It's no secret that The Cabal is backing Peebles.. and they never back anyone without expecting something in return. It's also no secret that The Southside Mafia is backing Silas. So if you want to go back to those days then go right ahead. The Old Guard black political establishment is backing Ivey. And you have the usual race baiters pushing Roundtree as the "black" candidate. To me the top two choices would be Sanders and then Ivey.. but Sanders seems to be the most independent of them all. And yes, Peebles does have his own personal baggage, but that's not the reason not to vote for him.. the people who are pulling the strings behind his back are the reason not to vote for him.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 02:33 pm
Austin, if you are saying as

Austin, if you are saying as on the 24th that, yes, it's true, but it just doesn't matter because everyone does it or something like that, I don't buy it. Not one bit. It wasn't just Austin, but a few of you said that it just didn't matter.

What if an officer had a pattern or such behavior, would that make it any different in your mind? Afterall, we all agree in Roundtree's case, it mattered.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 02:35 pm
Bougan, I'm totally with the

Bougan, I'm totally with the one who doesn't have any strings attached and that's Sanders. Maybe Ivey doesn't either, but I don't know as much about him. Although, my RCSO contact says Ivey is a good man.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 02:39 pm
I think Sanders and Ivey are

I think Sanders and Ivey are the most independent with the least baggage and I think either would make good sheriffs. I dont know alot about Ivey, but I do know a lot about Sanders and know he is not doing this for the money or because some political machine is pushing him into it. Sanders would truly be an independent sheriff and thats what we need. Peebles would be owned part and parcel by the cabal just like Silas would be owned by the Southside mafia. And you gotta love the guts Sanders is showing by running on his true convictions as a republican and instead of pretending to be a democrat.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 02:44 pm
Let's look at how it all

Let's look at how it all plays out. I suspect the second place candidate in the Democratic primary will end up winning the run-off. That's usually the pattern. They usually unite against the first place person. IF Freddie can pull this off in the general election, it will be an amazing feat, but he is an amazing person. Who knows, maybe he can do this?

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 02:45 pm
I think Freddie can beat

I think Freddie can beat whomever wins the Democratic run-off

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 02:56 pm
Freddie is Ready! And He's in

Freddie is Ready! And He's in it to win it!

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/09/12 - 04:13 pm
I'd like to hear more about

I'd like to hear more about this axe to grind and agenda that Austin keeps talking about that someone has. Please do tell us more.

Oh I remember now, it must be that everyone (who is employed by RCSO) who is against Scott Peebles is jealous of him. Weren't those your words from a few weeks ago? And correct me if I am wrong but I believe you said those were the words of Sheriff Strength.

And what years in the past 20 were you employed by RCSO? You sir are indeed hilarious with all of your FIRST HAND knowledge.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/09/12 - 04:16 pm
I had a VISION of being rich

I had a VISION of being rich and famous at age five. I guess that makes me qualified to be rich and famous.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 04:32 pm
For years the Sheriff's

For years the Sheriff's office was controlled by The Southside Mafia political machine. So is it any better to vote for a candidate who is controlled by The Cabal political machine? Lets not elect any machine candidate and instead elect a real independent for Sheriff. That man is Freddie Sanders.

Bulldog
Bulldog 04/09/12 - 05:34 pm
I know that it's going to be

I know that it's going to be very difficult for some of you "muck rackers" to deal with this, but it occassionally happens that some of us back a candidate because we believe that they are the only one who has the required philosophy to bring about the needed changes in the agency. Like most current Law Enforcement Agencies, Richmond County has a reactive policing philosophy. IE, you do something wrong and they go after you. That was the approach being taught 30-40 years ago. It doesn't work anymore in urban areas like Augusta/Richmond County. It hasn't worked in 20 years and we have the crime statistics to prove it. We also have the tax base that reflects the crime concerns of people who have moved out of Richmond County because of that crime. Community Policing is the only approach that offers a glimmer of hope and Scott Peebles is the one candidate espousing this approach who actually knows what he's talking about. I suggest that everyone who has questions spend a little time educating yourselves about Community Policing philosophy and figure it out for yourselves.

EyeMaeNoYOU
EyeMaeNoYOU 04/09/12 - 06:01 pm
Question: What if a person

Question: What if a person who hid behind an anonymous name and made up whatever scenario they thought fit their agenda/opinion best?

Answer: It wouldn't make it factual or true.

This insider thinks that "insider" is full of it. Would make a heckuva soap opera writer, though.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 06:14 pm
Bulldog, just so you'll know,

Bulldog, just so you'll know, I and others here, were the ones who first brought up the concept of community policing. I wrote extensively about the experiences of the Charleston City Police Department. Lori Davis and others called for community policing with her community in Harrisburg and offered many examples and ideas. Preventive policing and enpowering officers to make decisions of all kinds is what will work.

The whole concept was met with derision by the RCSO and Scott Peebles on Austin's show in particular. His theme was they only shoot each other and Strength's mantra was he is not a social worker. So I'm glad to see Peebles now on the band wagon, but I must say it took long enough. I've got mixed feelings when Peebles now claims to be the leading proponent of the concept when we all asked so long for the techniques to be implemented.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 06:11 pm
Eyemaeno, those are the same

Eyemaeno, those are the same events an officer in the RCSO told me about. I don't get it with Austin either or for that matter with the Chronicle not asking hard questions. If the plan is to simply ignore it all, it's not going to work because Roundtree has been grilled for similar behavior.

I suggested here that Austin have Peebles on the show to address the situation and let him answer calls from the public. That was met with silence.

I think the public outrage at Bobby Petrino's behavior is going to make us in Augusta start to think objectively about why you can't have conduct as has been reported.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 06:28 pm
I'm even going to take up for

I'm even going to take up for Roundtree as far as treatment in the press goes and I sincerely hope he comes in dead last. His past infidelities with other officers were brought up in Sylvia's column in a humorous way. Some said joking about that was okay because he had actually played around while at work and the info was in his personnel file. I disagree.

Jokes about personal conduct in a political column should be evenhanded. No one can seriously condone or say it doesn't matter if married officers are carrying on with female employees in the RCSO. To me that attitude by some in the media shows me they are totally in somebody's pocket because it's an asinine premise.

csraguy
2085
csraguy 04/09/12 - 08:00 pm
Riverman1, Sylvia did not

Riverman1, Sylvia did not discuss infidelity with employees within the department, she discussed Roundtree violation policies and stealing time from the taxpayers by having sex numerous times with different individuals while on duty and the fact that he took a female prisoner out of the jail without justification on numerous times. However, you and EyeMay are discussing rumor and speculation. As for EyeMay's comments, there is specific mistruth within her statements which can easily be proven as a lie so I doubt it will go much further than a comment board. If you (and I think you do) actually care about the truth then pick up the phone and call Austin or call Capt. Peebles directly vs. believing crap and trying to make something from nothing. If you haven't heard anything bad about the other candidates then you aren't listening because plenty of rumors are out there about most of them but since Peebles is considered the most likely to succeed he of course will have the most spread about him.

As for whom the best candidate for Sheriff is, Captain Peebles is by far the most prepared, educated, and ready to take the Sheriff's Office to the next level. With over 20 years of dedicated service and with many commendations, etc. rising through the ranks over the years combined with being instrumental in many of the positive additions to the agency in recent years, he will make a great Sheriff. His proven leadership in 3 major operations placing many criminals behind bars and off of our streets combined with the reduction in violent crimes in our area each year for the past several years as well as a major reduction in burglaries due to the implementation of the community policing burglary task force, he has done far more that talk the talk.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/09/12 - 09:29 pm
Imitation is the greatest

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Can we get an eyemaenoYOU2?

Seriously, unless you worked at RCSO in CID in 2005/2006 what you have to say on this "scenario" is irrelevant.

BTW, I never said I am a SHE.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 07:50 am
This is getting tooo funny

This is getting tooo funny here....some say comments aren't important----some say private life doesn't matter....some say they KNOW how 90% of the RCSO will vote---WOW-WOW

Funny theeeng some have been posting only a few weeks & mainly on this subject.....since Freddie jumped in maybe....
can we say----RUNNING SKEEERED....LOL,,LOL

I will be glad when the candidates answer some questions in a public debate......let that happen.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 07:54 am
Kinda makes me hum the song

Kinda makes me hum the song running bear.....:)

I will make a prediction...The state of Ga will vote for a REP. in November......I would have predicted Couples would win the Masters...sooo I'm not "perfect"......lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 07:59 am

Look at this song as the Savannah River....& politics as usual in Augusta---GOING DOWN!

Mother tries to conceal newborn's birth

Cierra Y'Kesia Simms, 22, initially told Richmond County Sheriff's deputies about 7 a.m. Wednesday that she had discovered the baby on the ground behind the Masonic Temple on Wrightsboro Road, ...