Take time today to repent

What a chilling statement to come from anyone’s mouth, – “Crucify him! Crucify him!” – directed toward the humiliated and scourged Savior headed for the cross, soon to die the most cruel death the Romans and barbarians could impose. Even the worst criminal known was released so Jesus could be so vilified and nailed up for public scorn and ridicule.

This One battered and ripped apart had, with the Father, co-created the universe and was called to a greater task. What a request – and what a response! We know that Jesus had left His position beside His Father to come to Earth for our sake. Even though He walked Earth performing signs, wonders and miracles, healing the sick and delivering the oppressed, even showing them He was the Son of God wasn’t enough.

The world wasn’t buying it. The Father called Jesus to give Himself as a ransom for each of us and for our personal sins. From the Book of Isaiah: “If He was willing, God was pleased to crush him, that we might go free.”

Certainly Peter never said, “Crucify him,” but by his actions and statements denied Him three times. Surely, Peter must have repented over and over for those moments of weakness and wanted to make up for them. Jesus, his friend and Savior, knew Peter’s contrite heart, and forgave and restored him and raised him to the highest place in the church.

I also never said, “Crucify him,” but I had 25 years of denial and rejection of Him. Surely, I thought, “I don’t know the Man” – but He knew me. Now, I know Him. I still repent for those years and actions, but Jesus forgave and accepted me. Many millions of others could attest to a similar forgiveness and acceptance.

Every Good Friday, we get to take up a cross and, like Simon, carry it a ways toward Calvary, just for Jesus. It’s not much, but it’s our little offering – and it’s not over yet.

This rejected man who suffered the most despicable death at the hands of the unbelieving, arrogant scoffers now presides as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Surely none of us would say, “Crucify Him,” but to deny or reject what He says or teaches is to deny Him. By God’s grace we’re still alive, and Jesus knows each of us and gives us opportunity to repent. Any life may yet be redeemed, no matter what we have said or done in the past.

May this Good Friday find each of us well and repentant.

Gary Garner

Augusta

TParty
TParty 04/06/12 - 06:47 am
This is what I'll never, ever

This is what I'll never, ever understand. Christianity is suppose to be a monolithic religion, but then I read things like this:

"This One battered and ripped apart had, with the Father, co-created the universe and was called to a greater task."

This co-created means two. Add in the holy spirit, that's three- but let's ignore the holy spirit just for the moment.

I'll never understand how people can worship Jesus AND god while claiming they are the same, and Christianity.

I'll never understand how people say Jesus is god, but there is team work between the two to create the universe, and how Jesus was called to a greater task. WHo called him to the task? And if people do believe Jesus is god, than I'll never understand how one of the commandments is always broken, the 'Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above'. I can only assume Jesus is in heaven above, and if Jesus is god- then that commandement is always broken.

But I'm not buying it that Jesus is god, because he always prayed to god- seeking strength, and forgiveness for others.

And if anyone answers- saying "Well Jesus was god in flesh form" - I'll go ahead and suspend my disbelief and say "okay". But Jesus would still be god, just in flesh form. Is it necessary to mention or follow Jesus, when he is just god in the flesh? Cause Jesus is no longer here, right? He's in heaven with god, or as god... I can't keep track....

Anyways, you guys enjoy your holiday.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/12 - 06:53 am
TP, not complicated at all. I

TP, not complicated at all. I learned about all that in Mrs. DeHay's third grade class in a SC public school when she used to illegally read us Bible stories. You should have been there.

glorycouple1
glorycouple1 04/06/12 - 07:14 am
TParty Very simple all

TParty

Very simple all Christianity is based on: ONE GOD- THREE DIVINE PERSONS- Father, Son, Holy Spirit-Yes it is a mystery!! Read the bible and you will see all three persons doing their "thing". God Bless You

KSL
KSL 04/06/12 - 07:18 am
That's exactly what I was

That's exactly what I was going to say to TParty, glory. And heck, I'm probably agnostic. I haven't decided.

TParty
TParty 04/06/12 - 07:34 am
Glory: Do you worship three

Glory: Do you worship three divine persons?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/12 - 07:36 am
For God's sake, let's not get

For God's sake, let's not get into THIS!!!

KSL
KSL 04/06/12 - 07:42 am
Three in one.

Three in one.

KSL
KSL 04/06/12 - 07:53 am
Which one, RM? God the

Which one, RM? God the Father, God the Son, or God the Holy Ghost?

Just jawing with you, RM. I totally agree with you!! I don't think religion needs to be discussed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/12 - 07:52 am
KSL, like I said, Mrs. DeHay

KSL, like I said, Mrs. DeHay made it all understandable to me in the third grade. I completely got the concept as an 8 year old and have left it at that.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/06/12 - 08:11 am
I'll wait on the empircal

I'll wait on the empircal evidence from both sides.

Jane18
Jane18 04/06/12 - 08:21 am
One day, all will understand.

One day, all will understand.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/06/12 - 08:36 am
Well then palmetto, if

Well then palmetto, if experience and observation is what you are waiting for I pray God reveals himself to you in a mighty and powerful way.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/06/12 - 08:48 am
Like a bolt of lightning?

Like a bolt of lightning?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/06/12 - 08:52 am
I understand, completely, why

I understand, completely, why you'd say that, LL. But I would not wish the same for you. Who would I have to get riled up over?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/06/12 - 08:58 am
No Little Lamb, a bolt of

No Little Lamb, a bolt of lightening can be explained away. We always think of mighty and power in loud shocking terms but He can reveal Himself in the most quietest of circumstances, which can be just as mighty and powerful.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 04/06/12 - 09:04 am
"Crazy talk."

"Crazy talk."

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/06/12 - 09:11 am
Good to see you back

Good to see you back questioning things, TParty. Read any of Strobel's books yet? That will help some of your questions.

You say that Christianity is "monolithic". I think you mean "monotheistic". It's about one God, not one rock.

You admit you don't understand the trinity. You're in good company. I don't either. It's certainly beyond my comprehension. But, just because I can't comprehend something doesn't mean it's not real. There is far more about the universe that I do not comprehend, than I have a handle on. I've never seen an atom, but I believe in them. Science doesn't understand what caused the Big Bang, but that does not mean I deny it happened. Heck, I don't even understand gravity, but I'm thankful that I don't fly off into space.

Thankfully, reality is not dependent upon my puny ability to understand everything. I accept my limitations, and gladly.

The "Trinity" is not a Christian invention. If you read Genesis, the Hebrew word there for God is a plural noun. Now, we all know a cornerstone of Jewish faith is that there is only ONE God, yet their own scripture conveys a plural nature to the one God. If you don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

The best historical evidence we have indicates that Jesus claimed to be God incarnate (that's why he was murdered). We know that Jesus' earliest followers died defending their belief that Jesus was God. That's very strong eyewitness testimony that is extremely difficult to refute logically. The New Testament is replete with scriptures stating point blank that Jesus was and is God.

How could there be a God in three persons? Got me. But, I don't question that water, ice, and steam are all different -- yet are the very same in nature (i.e., 2 atoms of hydrogen and 1 atom of oxygen). That's an imperfect analogy, I realize, but demonstrates that having 3 very different things be identical in basic nature is not foreign to our thinking at all.

I'm very glad that God is beyond my comprehension. Otherwise, why would I worship Him? Where would be my sense of awe and wonder if I understood all things about God?

The message of Good Friday and Easter is that God loved me enough to come to earth in person and die for me so that I could enjoy a personal relationship with my creator. That's why Christians celebrate this season.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/06/12 - 09:11 am
HCWK, your last paragraph

HCWK, your last paragraph states it all.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 04/06/12 - 09:58 am
Missing from this

Missing from this conversation is the fact that we are actually observing Passover, and it's no coincidence that the Crucifixion happened at this time of year, as it had been ordained from the beginning. I hate to break it to anyone who believes the King James version of the Bible is inerrant, but "Easter" comes from the name of Ishtar, a pagan holiday. This is an error on the translator's part, and this is why the name only appears once, in the book of Acts. None of the gospels use the word.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/06/12 - 10:03 am
Good points, JL. In a real

Good points, JL. In a real sense, Jesus was our Passover Lamb --and the "Lamb of God". When you examine the internal consistency of scripture and how all things point to Christ, it's pretty amazing.

allhans
allhans 04/06/12 - 10:04 am
God said "Let Us create man",

God said "Let Us create man", or something like that. HE was not alone it appears.
For more than 50 years I was taught that Jesus was/is the Son of God and I am now told that I am all wet.
We each have our own beliefs and they often differ. (You know"You go to your church and I'll go to mine. But lets walk along together.")

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/06/12 - 10:07 am
A+ for diplomacy, Allhans.

A+ for diplomacy, Allhans.

faithson
faithson 04/06/12 - 10:07 am
'die for me'.. nahhh, Jesus

'die for me'.. nahhh, Jesus was killed like a common criminal. His death on the cross shows His love and mercy of for all his creations, ours only one among many. The sacrifice idea comes from the jewish authors of the time who saw the temple sacrifice as necessary for their own salvation.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/06/12 - 10:11 am
I know TParty meant to state

I know TParty meant to state monotheistic instead of monolithic. However, one of the meanings of monolithic is: characterized by massiveness, total uniformity, rigidity, invulnerability, etc.: a monolithic society. Sounds like Christianity to me. They do seem to be a massive group, uniformly rigid in the belief that their god is invulnerable and very rigid in their belief that if you don’t believe what they believe, you’re wrong. And as evidenced by comments in this post, most Christians are uniformly rigidly against anyone questioning or commenting on their beliefs.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/06/12 - 10:11 am
Uh, Faithson, I really don't

Uh, Faithson, I really don't get what you are saying. At least it's clear your ideas are not derived from the Bible. If that's your opinion, then great. More power to you.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/06/12 - 10:14 am
Frog, I'm certainly not

Frog, I'm certainly not rigidly against anyone questioning Christianity. That's what we do here, and I'm all for it. Even the New Testament commands Christians to QUESTION EVERYTHING, but then to hold on to what you find is true. That's all we're doing here. Open dialog on issues is always appreciated and even encouraged. That's how we all learn.

If sticking up for the truth is "rigid" to you, then I'm sorry. I think doing so is admirable, and not something to be condemned -- unless you are so rigidly committed to disbelief that you don't want to honestly consider the facts.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/06/12 - 10:49 am
RM states: For God's sake,

RM states: For God's sake, let's not get into THIS!!!

ICL stated yesterday: If you truly respected everyone's right to their opinion then you would have never posted a comment on this Christian article. DO WHAT??? I could go on but. . .

Howcanweknow, I am speaking my truth as I see it. I too was taught Xian religion in grammar school and I was raised Xian. Trinity thing didn’t make sense to me as a child and still doesn’t. I’ve just never been into mysticism or superstitions.

I am inclined to side with burninator – reference yesterday’s posts concerning Easter. Taoist and Zen philosophy appeals to me - no gods to fear, question EVERYTHING, try to do good on Earth. Wish I were as intelligent and articulate as buninator!

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/06/12 - 11:22 am
Frog, I hear you. Many

Frog, I hear you. Many Christians can, at times, be somewhat overbearing. I try to avoid that, yet stick to the truth.

You have an interesting statement: "My truth as I see it." I think this may be the crux of the issue. If your "truth" differs from mine, then one of us must be wrong in our belief. That's logic, according to my way of thinking.

I realize I may be steeped in Western thought and not Eastern tradition, so you can understand why I consider truth to be truth, and not up to popular vote or person opinion. I mean, if your truth is that Washington is the capital of the U.S., but my truth is that Augusta is the capital, there comes a time when the facts must supercede any "personal truth". There are absolute truths in the world, and not everything is relative.

But, I realize that in Taoist and Zen thought, reality might not be so "black and white". Perceptions and opinions may be on a more equal plane with truth. If that is your perspective, I can better understand your position on God.

You say you do not want any God to fear. I agree. I love and worship God. There is no fear there. Respect, yes. Of course. But, no fear.

You agree with Christianity that we are to question everything. That's great.

You say that you seek to do good on earth. Well, here we go again: What is your concept of good vs. my concept. What if we differ? Which one of us has the correct concept of good, and which of us is wrong? I mean, to an Islamic terrorist killing infidels is "good". I would strongly disagree. But, in a world where truth and goodness are relative (i.e., up to personal whim and preferences), which truth is accepted?

I think that ultimately a world without absolute truths and absolute goodness dissolves into anarchy. This is where I see that this type of philosophy fails us.

It is truth that Jesus Christ existed as history verifies. It is truth that he died on a cross (despite Islamic claims to the contrary). It is absolute truth that either Christ was God incarnate (as claimed) or he was a deceitful liar. That is the issue that cannot be sidestepped. Carefully question that one claim, and decide what is the real truth about Jesus.

I believe you'll find there is real absolute, everlasting truth in Christ, and far less such in the humanistic philosophies of Lao Tzu, Buddha, or Confucius.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/06/12 - 11:24 am
For the Faithful Enjoy this

For the Faithful Enjoy this Blessed Day. For the rest ignore the religion and celebrate the philosophy of Jesus. It is very similar to other religions and philosophies which promote humility, service, love, peace, etc-all the good stuff. The Hindus have their trinity and their diety was also personified in human form as well as other animals, etc. There is an altruistic commonality to all them. Have you read Tolstoy's opus The Kindgom of God is Within-great reading for those who support non-violence like Taoism. Don't miss the message because of religiosity. Jesus preached the same message to the Sadduccees and Pharisees because they were missing the message because of religiosity.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/06/12 - 11:57 am
Read the Sermon on the Mount

Read the Sermon on the Mount and the reference to the Beatitudes. Then you will then see what this Jesus fellow is all about and where he is coming from-love and humility. The sermon ends with an encouragement to seek "perfection". His message of non-violence resonated with Martin Luther King jr so we see the fruit of such efforts.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...