Easter is about new life

Why are we afraid of death?

There are natural fears about dying, because we like the familiar and the ordinary. Earth is a nice planet, and our homes are nice and our way of life is nice, but we really would not wish to end it. So there is a real fear and that is OK for all human beings.

However, for those with faith – and I pray that all reading this letter are people of faith in God and the son of God, Jesus Christ – we have a deeper perspective based on the Gospels by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as well as the whole New Testament. There, fear gives way to a faith in the afterlife, resurrection and love of heaven, where we shall be with Jesus, Mary, the angels and the saints of God forever.

With this faith in mind, dying is not so scary, threatening or fearful – believing that there is a better world not made by human hands where our souls shall be forever happy. With this Easter faith in mind, we shall go to church April 8 with people of faith worldwide to celebrate the resurrection of a Savior who died on the cross to liberate us from the sins of the world and redeem us to gain the inheritance of heavenly glories and heavenly existence with Him.

Thus, we who believe in the afterlife come to share an Alleluia of praise to God for our deep faith in His salvation to eternal life.

Death, at times, is scary to face and deal with. However, when you have the gift of faith in God, you shall look at death with new eyes to know heaven is real, and really our eternal goal and destination is where God grants us eternal happiness.

So, this Sunday, April 8, go to a church where songs of Alleluia will be sung. Praise the risen one whose love for us is personal, life-giving and redeeming. Go to a church with much joy that there is a place called heaven where we shall again be with the ones who have gone before us in death. This will be a home-going to our eternal home, and God is the One whose lovely plan of sharing it with his sons and daughters makes all the difference in our faith. Amen!

The Rev. Michael Lubinsky

Augusta

(The writer is parochial vicar of the Church of the Most Holy Trinity in Augusta.)

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/05/12 - 05:22 am
Wonderful letter! Every day

Wonderful letter! Every day should be a celebration for the sacrifice Jesus Christ gave and we should continuously sing praise and honor to Him who loves us so much.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 08:23 am
Kinda unreal that people in

Kinda unreal that people in the twenty-first century still believe in the sky god and all the superstitions that go with it. But, hey, it's a free country and we "non-believers" wish you well. Just please, pretty please, don’t try to force it on the rest of us. Especially using our tax dollars to do it!!!

Go to the following link for a truer story of easter:

burninater
burninater 04/05/12 - 08:42 am
And with a heavy heart

And with a heavy heart Princess Popple returned to Castle Paradise mourning her lost friends. But lo, when she entered the castle gates, who did she see? Bumblesnitch the Hedgehog, Mr. Tibbles the cake man, her devoted servant Yam Sam, and all the rest of her friends thought lost to the battle against the evil witch MugPug! Wizard Grumbledorf did it! He brought all her lost friends back to life! Oh joyous day! And they all lived happily ever after, except of course for Widow Schumpert, who despite caring for all the foundling children, and despite giving free meals to those that lost their farms in the great Dragonstorm, and despite climbing the seven Ogre Peaks and banishing the evil Trumgoffers, had neglected to declare Wizard Grumbledorf her lord and savior. Widow Schumpert was sent straight to the Jargle ore mines for an eternity of pain and suffering as her just reward. The End.

Now sleep easy wee babe, safe in the knowledge that the Wizard Grumbledorf will always protect you from the evil bogeyman. Oh, and don't forget to give me 10% of your allowance and support Goodman Parsnip in the upcoming election.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 09:17 am
soapy 725, I believe in

soapy 725, I believe in living the "now" (which I believe is all we have) and not living for the "hereafter". I care deeply about my fellow human beings and try to treat them as I would have them treat me. I don’t believe in heaven or hell; therefore, I try to do good because it is the correct thing to do. I understand it’s hard for xians to fathom that you can be good without god or the fear of being punished forever in “hell”. As to everlasting life – that’s never appealed to me. I believe that most likely I’m just going back to star dust from whence I came. Since neither of us can prove nor disprove the existence of a god, what’s the point in condemning people that don’t buy off on your god beliefs? I respect your right to think what you wish.

FYI: Over 50% of the people in prison in the USA profess to be xians . Non-believes, assumed to be agnostics and atheist, account for about 10%.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/05/12 - 09:26 am
"I care deeply about my

"I care deeply about my fellow human beings and try to treat them as I would have them treat me". I guess that would include never missing the opportunity to mock fellow human being because they feel different than you.

Jane18
Jane18 04/05/12 - 09:38 am
Nice letter, but-------it is

Nice letter, but-------it is not easter, it is Passover. JESUS became our Passover. The one time easter is written is because "someone" mistranslated it, the Greek word is pascha, pronounced pas'khah. I really was hoping someone would teach where the word and ritual of easter came from.............................

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 10:49 am
I really was hoping someone

Jane 18, I did alread. Go to the following link for a truer story of easter:

burninater
burninater 04/05/12 - 11:03 am
"I care deeply about my

----------
If somebody convinced me to believe a fairy tale as truth by exploiting my deepest fear, and then used that belief to dictate how I should behave and request cash from me, I would hope that my fellow human beings would stage an intervention.

TParty
TParty 04/05/12 - 11:40 am
I thought we celebrate Easter

I thought we celebrate Easter so we can eat candy. If not for Easter, when else could people eat chocolate rabbits filled with peanut butter? I don't know why people are hating on easter, they must not enjoy peeps, or Cadbury Creme Eggs, or all the wonderful shapes that reese's candy puts out this time of year.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 11:42 am
burninater, well said!!!

burninater, well said!!!

PS: Y'all don't eat too many chocolate bunnies, y'all hear!

burninater
burninater 04/05/12 - 11:52 am
TParty, you may not have

TParty, you may not have received the memo that criticizing religion means you are at War With Religion. As such, the loss of innocents, like peeps and peanut butter bunnies, while tragic, is 100% moral. Plus, everyone knows War is good for the economy which essentially trumps morality anyway.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/05/12 - 12:07 pm
Frog, I never get into these

Frog, I never get into these discussions, to each his own. But, as with this current article, you invariable make disparaging remarks in order to draw a reaction and then complain when you get "judged". As stated, you can't wait to mock the Christians on here. Doesn't seem very "Golden Rule" to me, but whatever....

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/05/12 - 12:19 pm
LOL ForeverFrog

LOL ForeverFrog "justthefacts, people in these post have condemned me to “boil” and tell me I’m going to hell. They judge my "soul"??? Thought only their god could judge my "soul"??? I don't mean to mock them - just stating what I believe."

Frog, you appear paranoid. No one on here has condemned you or said you are going to hell. Please post the poster's name and time of their post. Soapy said "I fear you have been "boiled". " meaning your goose is cooked (or in this case, your frog legs). It may have appeared sarcastic but is definitely not condemnation.

There is no doubt that you can be good without being a Christian according to man's standards. Christians are not perfect, you have good and bad behavior in Christianity. Salvation through Jesus Christ is not about being good or being bad, it's about having a relationship with an Almighty God who loves you. If you choose not to have a relationship with Him, just as you can choose not to have a relationship with man, that is your choice. He loves you anyway.

Good luck with the here and now, I plan to enjoy the here and eternity.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 12:40 pm
ICL, I’m definitely not

ICL, I’m definitely not paranoid but I recognize condemnation when I read it. I respect everyone’s right to their opinion but I don’t have to respect or buy into their beliefs. I can no more have a relationship with an imaginary god that I can have a relationship with the Easter bunny or Santa. And (this isn’t meant sarcastically) good luck to you too on that “eternity” thing.

TParty
TParty 04/05/12 - 12:53 pm
I'll have you know

I'll have you know ForeverFrog, it is a FACT I have a tasty relationship with the Easter Bunny. And you can too if you just open up your taste buds.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/05/12 - 01:17 pm
ForeverFrog, it is a shame

ForeverFrog, it is a shame that you read condemnation from such a sarcastic comment. I suppose with as many sarcastic comments displayed on this article, most Christians should feel condemantion also, but we are taught that there is no condemnation in Jesus Christ.

If you truly respected everyone's right to their opinion then you would have never posted a comment on this Christian article. Sometimes our opinions are better kept in our head than to post YOUR condemnation. Your reference to an imaginary god proves my point and I don't need luck with eternity, I have assurance from Almighty God Himself. That's good enough for me.

TParty
TParty 04/05/12 - 01:24 pm
ICL: Did Almighty God Himself

ICL:

Did Almighty God Himself send you a confirmation email or something? Is there a way to prove he gave you his assurance in case he doesn't follow though and you need to take him to court?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/05/12 - 01:31 pm
TParty, His confirmation came

TParty, His confirmation came direct from the Holy Spirt which lives inside me. It gives me comfort, peace, love, assurance, guidance, everything I need in life so that I can make right choices (not that I obey all the time). There is no way to prove to you He gives this to me because it is from within my very soul. I don't have to worry about Him following through, His promise is sufficient for me and He has always kept His word.

TParty
TParty 04/05/12 - 01:35 pm
Oh, okay, just wondering.

Oh, okay, just wondering. Thanks, ICL.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/05/12 - 01:38 pm
Your welcome TPary.

Your welcome TPary.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 02:10 pm
If you truly respected

ICL, is what you're saying that only people that agree with the writer of the letters to the editor can comment or more precisely only the likeminded can comment? Wow, that's very kind of you! I'm not condemning your right to believe in a mystical being. I'm just voicing my opinions as you’re voicing yours. Last time I checked the Constitution allowed freedom of speech for all not just the majority. I don't care what anyone thinks concerning religion or the lack thereof. Just don't do it using my tax dollars.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 02:29 pm
TParty, I'll have you know

TParty, I'll have you know that I had a very tasty relationship with the chocolate Easter Bunny after lunch today. Umm, umm good! Love me some pagan religion! :)

john
john 04/05/12 - 02:56 pm
Frog, you acknowledged

Frog, you acknowledged peoples right to faith as a caveat to the insult. I know it sounds juvenile, but you started it. It’s kind of silly to throw an insult out there then claim to be the victim.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 03:08 pm
john, what insult?

john, what insult?

TParty
TParty 04/05/12 - 03:09 pm
ForeverFrog: Good. The Easter

ForeverFrog: Good. The Easter bunny died for our sins and it's important you know how much the bunny loves us. I have assurance from the Easter Bunny that this is true. That's good enough for me.

It's good to know you have a relationship with the Almighty Bunny. You can just fill yourself to salvation. This confirmation came direct from the Peanut Butter filling which lives inside me. It gives me comfort, peace, love, assurance, guidance, everything I need in life so that I can make right choices. It makes me crave more!!

And before people comment on this fact, those who want to mock or doubt me, let me just say there is no way to prove this to you. The Bunny gives this to me because it is from within my very soul. I don't have to worry about Him following through, His promise is sufficient for me and He has always kept His word. Easter Bunny.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/05/12 - 03:14 pm
ForeverFrog, my apologies. I

ForeverFrog, my apologies. I am not saying you don't have the right to speak your mind, just that sometimes it's better not to. I find it curious that if you are so inclined to let others believe what they wish, then there would be no need to comment on this article since it really isn't necessary. I believe anyone who has been posting on here long enough is well aware of how you feel about religion and God. It appears that your comment was only done to instigate a debate and if not, then the simple insults could have been disregarded and your point still made.

Using your tax dollars??? Last time I checked salvation doesn't cost us anything, it cost Christ everything.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 03:37 pm
TParty, I had a plain

TParty, I had a plain chocolate Easter Bunny. And you believe in the Peanut Butter Bunny! Wow. Guess I haven't had true salavation till I have a Peanut Butter Bunny. On my way to be saved now!!! LOL

I love, love, love your posts. :)

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/05/12 - 03:37 pm
ICL, what insults???

ICL, what insults???

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/05/12 - 04:28 pm
It's a difference in world

It's a difference in world view.One believes that a God became man(the Hindu had a similar incarnation), died for eveyones "sins" (which separated them from God) ,rose on the third day from his grave and began visitin around, then thousands watched as he ascended into heaven. They believe he has a special place for them in place called heaven (which eventually will fuse with the destroyed earth to make a new heaven and earth hybrid) in the afterlife (lots of religions have an afterlife). People who simply claim him (works don't get it) will then be claimed by him (grace) and given eternal life, peace, and a renewed spirit. The other believes in science and science will solve all our problems (well and it has created a few too on the way but the goal is good) . Now science soothsayers like Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, and Richard Dawkins basically say we are doomed as a species and very likely the planet maybe in peril as well. Basically we as animal can't evolve fast enough for our technology and we are self-destructing. Well I looked in my Pandora's Science box and found an empty box (of couse we don't believe in the supernatural goop like faith or hope), I looked in the Pandora's Christian box and found faith and hope (two supernatural phenomena that science can't address). Reality or Myth-tough choice. It is all in your world view.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/05/12 - 05:05 pm
Science can't address God

Science can't address God because God is a supernatural spirit and science doesn't address supernatural phenomena (despite the ghost buster idiots on TV). Science can address the life of Jesus the Christ. He definitely lived by numerous scientifiic accounts. They believe they found his family tomb of late too. The accounts of miracles he performed isn't suspicious as others of the period claimed as well. Whatever the event it had a huge impact on the population as in Corinthians the Holy Spirit had all the people in one mind giving away all their possessions and one heart. Numerous people have been declared "Saints" for making the ultimate sacrifice for their faith-death. Whatever the precipitating incident that many claim as myth it sure changed people like Paul and all the original disciples who withstood imprisonment, torture, and death for this silly myth. Perhaps all these people through history are just suicidal throwing their lives away for some silly myth-makes perfect sense. So you can believe we are just another animal (not very diverse or successful like other mammals like rodents)and life and death are just phases of a life cycle, OR, you can believe you are SPECIAL and created in the image of a God (wow I like that!) and not just another animal but the master and steward of all ife and the earth (dang make me king), that life is one phase and their is a another spiritual life of eternity (wow who needs aging research). Christ promises you can move mountains (superman is a wimp). Well call me the myth master. Im joinin that crazy train to heaven, we are all filled up with crazy. No fear of death, peace, spiritual gifts. De plane de plane-Thats me heading to Fantasy (aka Myth) Island. The proof of the Chrisitan faith is the witness of all the millions of christians who have and will attest to the significance of Christ in their lives. In many ways Jesus has become immortal by the two thousand year old "myth" that won't die. Peoples of all walks are now walking with Christ. Even scientist such as Theodusius Dobzhansky (a father of the Modern Synthesis of evolution ) and Francis Collins (human genome). Really remarkable in many ways-a religion that promises you will suffer and be persecuted for your faith and people still flock to it!Teaching an altruistic message of love (even your enemies) and service (be servant not master) that seems against human nature.

Kettle donations rise in 2014