Welcome back, Tiger

I’d like to welcome Tiger Woods back to Augusta, and thank him for raising interest in the Masters Tournament and golf itself.

Many in America think we here are a bunch of Gullahs, rednecks, boondockers and backwoods funny-talkers. They’re right. We know pine trees and peaches; pastures and ponds; and chicken and pigs – and we’re proud of it. We also know churches and clubs; fairways and greens; and azaleas and roses. We are the new South.

I’m glad Woods and all the great players will come. Georgia and South Carolina bloom and boom every year during Masters Week. A victory here lifts not only Woods’ standing but pride and excitement among many who otherwise consider golf elitist. I hope Woods surprises us with a win.

We understand the past couple of years have not been Woods’ best. Altercations, separation and rehabilitation has brought him challenges and change. I thank him for making it through. Difficulty and uncertainty visits all. That’s life. Controversy and conversation is inevitable when you’re in the spotlight. Whether he likes it or not, he’s considered a black man, not half-Asian or some other persuasion. He must live with it.

We can’t solve all our own problems, and neither can Woods. However, for all the pride and joy he brings, we extend appreciation and hope he enjoys everything we have to offer. Good luck, Tiger!

Tunk Martin

Edgefield, S.C.

peace4784
peace4784 03/23/12 - 05:07 am
Well said. The letter writer

Well said. The letter writer has a grasp of reality. Mr. Martin understands what the Tiger haters refuse to acknowledge. Tiger Woods has proven he is ordinary golfer. Furthermore, Tiger will will win the Masters, US Open, British Open, and PGA Championship.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/23/12 - 09:39 am
Is there any evidence the

Is there any evidence the accusations were true?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/23/12 - 09:45 am
Back on topic. I have never

Back on topic. I have never liked Woods on a personal level because of his public attitude. I understand he is his own biggest critic and beats himself up on the course when not playing well; but it comes across as sour and primadonna-ish. Even at his press conferences he comes across as arrogant. I recall well when he stood up a group the year he first played the Masters. "I didn't FEEL like going" was his excuse.

That said, he may very well be the greatest ever to swing a club.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 03/23/12 - 01:37 pm
"Whether [Tiger Woods] likes

"Whether [Tiger Woods] likes it or not, he’s considered a black man, not half-Asian or some other persuasion. He must live with it" (Tunk Martin).

Is race or national origin a type of persuasion?

SCV Sam
SCV Sam 03/23/12 - 07:09 pm
More like good riddance to

More like good riddance to bad news. "Tiger" has ruined a once great sport, and dishonored a sacred Augusta institution. Not to mention his attitude. He is so smug and arrogant and superior acting. He is an avowed adulterer, a divorcee and an insult to a sport once reserved for decent and respectable gentlemen.

Everytime I see or hear him it makes me want to vomit, what with his smug, down talking ever so high sounding tone. Perhaps it's because we hear the same arrogant smug superior tone from that fellow illegally occupying the White House if you ask me.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/24/12 - 10:26 am
SCV Sam, I will agree that

SCV Sam, I will agree that "Tiger" has cast an unfavorable light as far as the reputation of golf being a repectable gentlemen's game but no more or less than John Daly. I think the difference is the arrogant attitude that has come along with the disrespect that has made "Tiger" seem worse. When wanting redemption, humility goes a long way. I've seen no humility in "Tiger".

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms