Are nursing moms exposed?

I read with interest the story about the “nurse-in” at the Columbia County Justice Center (“Courthouse advocates defend public breast feeding,” March 5), where nursing moms hoped to raise awareness of the challenges facing women who need to nurse their babies when they are in public.

The issue is a little unclear to me. In my years as a nursing mom, when I couldn’t find an out-of-the-way corner in which to nurse when I was out, I threw a blanket over my shoulder to cover baby and breast. Do these indecency laws apply to those situations as well, or just women who don’t cover with a blanket or nursing bib?

Sharon Mondragon

Evans

Retired Army
Retired Army 03/19/12 - 11:27 pm
A man made attack on women at

A man made attack on women at best. Men who cannot control themselves at the sight of a female breast ought to be ashamed of themselves.

God did not make a woman with a towel to hide the feeding of her husband's child. So petty! But then so are many of the sexual taboo's of society.

burninater
burninater 03/20/12 - 01:00 am
For the love of God. Now

For the love of God. Now nursing women are "indecent"?

We seriously need to increase mental health funding in this country.

desertcat6
desertcat6 03/20/12 - 06:38 am
I have no objection to open

I have no objection to open breast feeding in public places, but any ban is not just a man made attack on women. Its simply a long held cultrual taboo in our country based on the customs, beliefs and practices of our forebearers - men and women.

Techfan
Techfan 03/20/12 - 07:30 am
Simple solution: A burqa. The

Simple solution: A burqa. The right wants to take us to being a theocracy anyway, maybe that'll make 'em happy.

burninater
burninater 03/20/12 - 10:22 am
Urination is a natural body

Urination is a natural body function. Are we to begin another public display?
--------
I'm guessing you've never been in a men's public bathroom.

David Parker
David Parker 03/20/12 - 01:32 pm
The law says "Indecent

The law says "Indecent Exposure" no? How is that anywhere applicable to a woman feeding her baby? If she's purposefully revealing herself in a manner not consistent with breast feeding then maybe we talk but this is a boob and only in fleeting glimpses if that much. Is there really an issue here and who on this Green Earth is weighing in on the side against the Moms? I don't really care why you'd be against it, I'd just like to know who you are.

deadline
deadline 03/20/12 - 02:59 pm
Just as I said in the

Just as I said in the "contraception" letter, we are returning to the Dark Ages.

Why should our women and mother of our children be subjugated to nursing in a bathroom stall?

caylasmommy
caylasmommy 03/20/12 - 06:39 pm
I breastfed my daughter, and

I breastfed my daughter, and I always felt uncomfortable doing it in public. I always used a blanket or a towel to cover us both, but it was not always easy! Sometimes it was too hot, or maybe she moved so much that the blanket fell, or whatever. I understand that some people may be uncomfortable seeing a woman breastfeed, but they should get over it. Breastfeeding moms should be praised for making a healthier decision for their child, not reprimanded for it.

copperhead
copperhead 03/20/12 - 08:47 pm
I would rather see a mother

I would rather see a mother breastfeeding than a teenager with his pants half way to his knees.

swinter05
swinter05 03/21/12 - 03:46 pm
I think it's disgusting and

I think it's disgusting and most of the women fighting this probably get more security out of their babies sucking on them than the babies do. Come on folks. This is ridiculous. It's not a rights issue, it's a decency issue and YES, if a woman gets hot and can't take her bra off in public b/c it is indecent, then pulling your breast out for all to see your baby suck on, is indecent also. People are disgusting these days.

missvluvu
missvluvu 04/03/12 - 01:00 pm
This whole article just

This whole article just caught me off guard, “Anyone caught nursing in public now faces charges of indecent exposure and a maximum fine of $1,000.” Seriously!
I have some issues with the mindset of some of you and issues with the person who wrote this article. 1st of all, this is not Georgia’s Law of breastfeeding. While breastfeeding laws vary from state to state, Georgia’s law is not stated above. I genuinely believed those moms, and me, just wanted it to have more clarity. Correctly, Ga. Code An. § 31-1-9 states:
The breast-feeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. A mother may breast-feed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be.
Whereas, a more understandable law from South Carolina Code Ann. § 63-5-40 (2005) states:
.S.C. Code Ann. § 63-5-40 (2005) provides that a woman may breastfeed her child in any location where the mother is authorized to be and that the act of breastfeeding is not considered indecent exposure.
People in today’s society need a better understanding of breastfeeding. 1st of all it is not a lewd act to nurse, whether it’s in public or private. Why should a mother be forced to leave an area she desires to feed her baby. How would you feel if you had to eat in a bathroom every time you go out in public? How would you feel if people looked at you in a bizarre way every time you eat? How would you feel if someone passed a law stating that how you eat in public is indecent exposure and if caught you would be fined? When you are ready to eat, you are ready to eat. If you are in a place where you can eat, you will eat there. So if the mom and baby are out in public and baby is ready to eat, baby is simply ready to eat, and she should be able to feed her baby/child without being under attack. The mom shouldn’t have to find a disgusting, unsanitary bathroom to go to, an undisclosed private corner so (You) wouldn’t get offended, or all the way home to feed her child. Come on, “It's just breastfeeding people”.
People in today’s society need to get off the mindset that breast are only made for a man’s pleasure, to market wings, and/ or to amuse people. They have the capability to serve dual purposes as well some of our other body parts. When you are using your breast for your husband’s desire, that usage is a sexual component of foreplay. However, when you are using your breast to nurture, comfort, and feed your child it’s different. We are giving our child vital components only found in human milk, we are simply providing our child with the best nutrition for them. Why not give them something that is easier on their little tummy and that is so valuable in healthier growth and development of their body and brain? That is simply what it is used for at that moment. The two functions of breast do not cross. Think about it. On the other hand, for the negative minded people, just leave it alone.
It’s sad to see that in the United States, we just don’t get it. We are missing all the benefits of breastfeeding for our babies, our women, and our environment because people can’t get pass the sexual connotation that our society has placed on a woman’s breast. It’s sad that we continue year after year to miss the benefit to decrease obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cancers, for our babies because our society put the title “Shameful” or “Indecent Exposure” on the act of the most preferred way on infant feeding. We also miss the environmental benefits of less tin, paper, aluminum and plastic in landfills and/or less water and air pollution from the formula making factories. Oh and not to mention the $13 billion annually in medical hhealth cost that America could have saved if we breastfed our babies. Sadly because of situations like this, the once a proud breastfeeding mother was probably ridiculed for nursing in public or breastfeeding period and never tried or gave it up way too soon.
The uninformed says it’s a lewd act, it’s disgusting, its uncivilized, and/or its attention seeking to nurse in public. I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but as a former breastfeeding mom of 2, for 2 ½ and 2 years, I wasn’t thinking like you. I was thinking hey this is FREE, this is lowering certain cancers for my baby and me, and I’m decreasing my child chance of having respiratory issues, digestive issues, and/or ear infections. I’m also protecting them from SIDs, becoming obese later on in life, and developing Type 2 diabetes. I was thinking that I’m helping in my child’s Brain development, Vision development, and Oral development. It didn’t cross my mind that by me discreetly breastfeeding my child in public offended you. While on the other side of the park or church, this DD woman, wearing a deep cleavage shirt exposing 75% of her breast got praised for “Rocking that shirt!” As they would call it.
I hope you remember the reasons for breastfeeding and don’t inconvenience a mother and child cause of your personal opinions. Just turn your head and let a mom and child be. Not only do I recommend breastfeeding, but according to CNN, the Center for Disease Control, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist, and our 1st Lady Michelle Obama recommends it exclusively for the 1st 6 months of an infant’s life. After that, AAP recommends at least 1 year and the WHO recommends it up to 2 years and beyond. As a breastfeeding mom of two that nursed everywhere my kids and I went with no shame, I encourage moms to continue to stand up and the unsupportive people to step down. America we need to stop insulting, troubling, and discouraging breastfeeding amongst our society and in public. Together lets support, promote, and encourage our more breastfeeding and the moms that chose to do so.

Board rejects fine arts charter school

Organizers behind a proposed fine arts charter school in Columbia County said they are optimistic state officials will approve their plan to open a school in 2015 - a plan that was unanimously ...