Women's role is invaluable

In celebration of Women’s History Month:

Forty- to 90-year-old white guys are tenaciously holding on to a cultural and divine ideology that they alone are the leaders and determinants of this country’s shaping.

Yet in spite of their unwillingness to share the reins with people other than themselves, changes continue to occur slowly but surely. We are now in a period where women are prepared for leadership. Women and minorities are securing leadership positions in government and private industry, and that is how it should be.

For those who would refer to biblical readings to “prove” that women only can bear children and follow others, they misinterpret the thoroughness of its many meanings. For women who like this role of following, then this, too, is perfectly acceptable. The Bible’s teachings are designed to uplift people spiritually and morally, but certainly not to retard all other progress. If things were meant to be the same, we’d still be dragging our knuckles and clubbing women over their heads.

We are not puppets whose strings are being pulled by the Creator. We have free will, for better or worse. Free will, however, does not express or imply that one group should hold back the development of another. This is not enlightenment; it is simply selfishness and self-serving.

Men see themselves as being whole and complete within themselves. They are not the whole but the half. The other half of the human race is women – and where decisions are made in their absence, groups, institutions and processes suffer with deleterious effects.

There is an imbalance in the world. Women have the intellectual capability to work alongside men in the thinking endeavors that men do. While some wives and mothers might not share this view, you can bet that most of your daughters do!

Sameera V. Thurmond

Augusta

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/17/12 - 12:16 am
Great pro-life letter! "Free

Great pro-life letter!

"Free will, however, does not express or imply that one group should hold back the development of another. This is not enlightenment; it is simply selfishness and self-serving."

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 03/17/12 - 03:18 am
I'm all for women being in

I'm all for women being in charge. Personally as a man I do believe that women are the stronger sex. I know I'm walking into a minefield here but it's my opinion that women are much more organized, and as far as diplomacy I believe women are far superior than men. Thier ego's aren't as big, they have a much higher threshold for pain and a million other little things. I may be a man but I'm man enough to know that I agree with this letter. Plus my wife said I had to agree with it.

allhans
allhans 03/17/12 - 04:32 am
Yes, I can see Hillary

Yes, I can see Hillary instead of Barack today as our president.
Women..let them forever rule. -:)

david jennings
david jennings 03/17/12 - 08:22 am
I am closer to 70 than 40.

I am closer to 70 than 40. I'm a white guy and I am obviously a rarity. I do not let gender or race sway my decision on who I like or respect. So if I say I am not too fond of Nancy Pelosi, Carol Mosley Braum or Pres. Obama, I have my reasons. In fact, I'm probably less gender biased than the letter writer.

wbbh
wbbh 03/17/12 - 10:23 am
Great letter, about thirty

Great letter, about thirty years ago. Sure there are some folks that want to keep women, 'barefoot and pregnant' but women are all over the workplace in the USA. We are are way more successful today than the folks that invented Algebra, because we don't discard half our intelligence.

Sameera
Sameera 03/17/12 - 12:00 pm
Insider Information, I don't

Insider Information, I don't get what you mean!

Pu239
Pu239 03/17/12 - 06:30 pm
Funny how a LTE can bash a

Funny how a LTE can bash a certain sector of the populace due to their gender, and even further denigreate a subset of said gender. Yet call for equality in the same breath. Amazing!

raul
raul 03/17/12 - 09:56 pm
@wbbh. Ha. I had the same

@wbbh. Ha. I had the same thought. I looked for a date on the letter or an explanation when it was written, thinking is was around the 60s.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.