Students deserve protection

There is a fundamental change in the works regarding personal responsibility of our own safety with the introduction of Georgia House Bill 55, introduced by Bobby Franklin from the 43rd District. The current law on carrying firearms restricts carries on all educational campuses.

With the introduction of this bill, the wording regarding secondary educational campuses is removed. The laws for carrying, however, remain the same. A person wishing to carry must still be at least 21 years old and a responsible, law-abiding citizen who has obtained a carry permit through the county of their residence.

As an Augusta State University student senator and chairwoman of the Libertarian Party of the CSRA, I wholeheartedly support this bill. Being on campus every day, I recognize that a public safety officer cannot be in every location that students are at every second of every day, just like outside of campus a police officer would not always be able to respond at a moment’s notice. No matter how safe our campus may currently be, there will always be an inherent risk, as proven by several highly publicized examples.

Just because I am a college student does not make me a second-class citizen, and the same rights should be afforded to me, whether I am at school or not.

People who plan to do harm find safe haven in places where firearms are forbidden. Signs do not stop criminals from doing what they desire to do.

Self-defense starts with yourself. Whom better to trust with your own life than yourself? There are many classes – reasonably priced, some even at no cost – that teach gun safety and how not to be a victim. There are resources available for those with no experience with firearms to help citizens safely defend themselves.

With an open campus such as Augusta State University, anyone willing to hurt someone with a firearm or other means can. A firearm is nothing but a tool, with a user deciding the intents and purpose of its use. As it stands now, the advantage is in the court of those who can potentially hurt students.

I urge those who think that is an injustice to promote this bill’s passage. My rights to self-protection do not stop at my desire for higher education. Please support this bill.

Amanda Bryant

Augusta

specsta
specsta 03/08/12 - 12:47 am
Support a bill to increase

KSL
KSL 03/08/12 - 01:04 am
How about recently, in our

How about recently, in our decaying society?

faithson
faithson 03/08/12 - 02:10 am
you do realize that using the

you do realize that using the argument given for allowing guns on campus, you undermine your libertarian philosophy. By the same argument, that something has happened before and thus we must protect ourselves from it happening again (even though the chances are statistically insignificant), we could legislate innumerable protections that would in fact be anti-libertarian. Be careful what you ask for.

copperhead
copperhead 03/08/12 - 04:16 am
ONLY the government should

ONLY the government should have guns! Anyone else caught with a gun(or trying to obtain a gun) should be shot! This will make it so much easier to enforce laws.

copperhead
copperhead 03/08/12 - 04:35 am
The government should take

The government should take all guns from law abiding citizens so they can be our protector. As the criminals shoot and kill the unarmed law abiders, courts would deal with them. We could accept the loses of law abiders as collateral damage. Of course the only ones killed would be conservatives since liberals are anti gun ownership. The liberals know that once the government takes all legal guns,the criminals will gladly turn theirs over to law enforcement and we will all live in peace and harmony singing and holding hands. We must depend on the government AND the criminals to do the right thing and i am sure they would.

Techfan
Techfan 03/08/12 - 06:56 am
Why do some people make

Why do some people make things up in their heads? Who said no one should own guns? The issue is whether students should be allowed to carry them on campus. In my opinion, the answer is no. Take the incident at Va Tech. Word gets out that there is a shooter on campus. All of a sudden hundreds of students start pulling guns. How do they know the perpetrator from just another student? When law enforcement arrives, how do they know? It sounds like a great way to escalate a dangerous situation. There are many things you a legally allowed to do in your personal, but not allowed to do on campus. This should be one of those instances.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 03/08/12 - 08:33 am
Waffle House customers

Waffle House customers deserve protection, too.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/08/12 - 08:57 am
Copper. YOu forgot. Only the

Copper. YOu forgot. Only the guvment should carry guns to carry out the Obama hit list against American citizens (accused of being terrorist) being executed without due process.

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 03/08/12 - 10:53 am
Free guns for students.

Free guns for students. Along with free contraceptives.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/08/12 - 02:19 pm
Why not free vasectomy and

Why not free vasectomy and sterilizations too, then take the gunpowder out of bullets. We will all be shooting blanks. Or perhaps take the saltpeater from the gunpowder to treat the libido's of males.

allhans
allhans 03/08/12 - 03:24 pm
bizkit..good ideas , there.

bizkit..good ideas , there. )- :

bpirtle2008
bpirtle2008 03/08/12 - 10:52 pm
"Support a bill to increase

"Support a bill to increase the presence of firearms in our society? Nope, I don't think so.

I have been on college campuses in several states over the years and strangely enough, have never felt the need to keep a Glock 17 strapped to my side. Maybe I'm just silly like that..."

Or naive to think that you would never need one. Naive to think that you are safe just because you're on property occupied by an educational facility. Naive to think that whenever you need emergency assistance from the police that they will be there immediately. Better to be safe than sorry.

For those of you against guns because they kill people, lay off the drugs. I've never seen a gun run down the street firing off bullets. Criminals are criminals because they don't follow the law. They're not going to hand in their firearms. Those of us who do are left to knives or whatever else we can find--you have heard the phrase, "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight,"? Firearms are also used to save lives. Crime rates are higher in areas where legal gun ownership is low or non existent. They tend to be lower in states where the majority of the population carries. Would you be dumb enough to pull a gun out on someone knowing that 2+ would be pointed back at you?

You don't know how many people on a day-to-day basis you come into contact with who are carrying legally and illegally.

Though I'm biased as my father raised my sisters and I around gun safety and proper handling/shooting. My first job was at a gun range and I met tons of wonderful people including doctors, lawyers, surgeons, soldiers, professors--men and women, black and white, democrat and republican (though more-so Rep. ;)).

After being approached several times by sleazy-looking men asking me if I was single in broad daylight in very populated areas, I got my license to carry as soon as I turned 21. I haven't had to use my pistol yet but that doesn't mean I will never have to.

bpirtle2008
bpirtle2008 03/08/12 - 11:05 pm
"Why do some people make

"Why do some people make things up in their heads? Who said no one should own guns? The issue is whether students should be allowed to carry them on campus. In my opinion, the answer is no. Take the incident at Va Tech. Word gets out that there is a shooter on campus. All of a sudden hundreds of students start pulling guns."
Well only those aged 21+ would legally be carrying and I doubt every single one of those persons is going to be carrying/present around the shooter, but yes, a large majority could draw their weapons. I'm no detective but I'm sure the shooter is not going to hide themselves really well and is going to be pretty obvious about shooting.

"How do they know the perpetrator from just another student?"
It is likely that the perpetrating student would be quickly identified by a large enough group of people for him or her to be no problem for others to zero in on.

"When law enforcement arrives, how do they know?"
The shooter is either dead or being held at 2+ gunpoints and a good bit of witnesses.