Enforce student discipline

As a school bus driver for Columbia County, I have seen and heard a lot of things in the past 16 years.

When we have problems on our buses, we are instructed by the CCBOE Department of Transportation to write up a discipline report and turn it in to our administrators. The DR is handled mostly by assistant principals.

Most of the time, DRs are handled without any punishment to the precious little snowflakes because the administrators are so scared to make a parent mad or bruise a child’s self esteem. In one recent week, I have had a child cuss me, stick another child with a pencil, refuse to listen to me, refuse to stay in the seat and more. One of my DRs was returned to me with, “The child was told to respect adults,” and a message was left for the parent. Another one stated the child was told to keep his hands to himself, and the school spoke to a parent – and that is all!

This may sound petty to some, but with more than 45 kids behind me, yelling, sticking one another with pencils and cussing me, I am expected to make sure they are safe; behave; stay seated; be Mama, Daddy and counselor; be cheerful; and obey all traffic laws. Sadly, you see the support we get from our administrators.

Regarding to the Charlie Rape Gang, I can understand why some children do not report a problem at school. They may see things the way I see them – it is a waste of time to expect some administrators to “have our backs.”

To initially assign two days of suspension in this incident was a joke. The juvenile justice system in Columbia County has been a joke statewide for decades. Many children on my bus are very well-behaved and are exceptional children. The others? I hope their favorite color is orange, because I am afraid some of them may be wearing it often in years to come.

I love my job, and I pray I am able to continue for many years! This is a plea to our administrators: Listen to the peons sometimes. We may be able to help you do your job better. The small voices in the back row may be the only voice you hear.

Pamela Sullivent

Harlem

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 03/02/12 - 09:05 am
Ms. Sullivent and

Ms. Sullivent and (B)elieve,

KUDOS to you for standing up in a public venue and informing your fellow citizens about problems you are facing.

As a forty-year-plus veteran of public schooling as a teacher and an advocate, I see the prime cause of our disciplinary problems as not lack of backing at the school-level or even at the county office-level. Rather, the lack of backing occurs at the BOE level. BOE members, in both Columbia and Richmond counties, are being provided legal advice by an overly paid counselor who's more afraid of lawsuits and courtrooms than my cat is of a bath.

Public education in Columbia and Richmond counties will be led into a future of excellence by the bold and the civic-minded, not by the effete and the greedy.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 03/02/12 - 09:06 am
I'm having a problem and I

I'm having a problem and I need my fellow readers to help me out. Should I chip Mrs. Sullivants letter in granite or marble before I hang it up on my wall? Finally, finally, somebody with a set of stones (well, other than me) stands up and speaks the truth - the whole truth - and nothing but the truth! Damn - that letter is straight-up bad-[filtered word]! If I could hand out a Nobel Peace Prize, I would give P.S. one! If I could give P.S. a week off WITH pay, I would. If you read my posts, I guess this letter once again gives steam to my 45 / 45 / 10 hypothesis. And for those of you unfamiliar with that, it goes a little sumthin' like this:
45% of the problem is parental.
45% of the problem is the student.
10% of the problem is "anything else."
Lets be honest - public education is no longer run by "administration or the teachers." Public education is controlled by the p/c, whiney, snot-nosed, punk-a** student. Admit it - it's ok to admit it - because it's the truth. You know, I've got a funny feeling that Mrs. Sullivant and I would get along real well - real well!
And this just in - for all you people that think Columbia County education is "da' bomb".....well, you better take a good look at your first-line, genetic, sanguinary offspring and start asking yourself some deep, introspective, contemplative questions about your "little Johnny or little Suzy."

impossible
impossible 03/02/12 - 09:44 am
pearl, you make some good

pearl, you make some good points, but give "debit" where "debit" is due. Start with the federal Department of Education, then the teachers unions, then secularism in schools/society and their sources -whoops, that leads to redundancy. It sure ain't God's fault, because they have taken Him and communications with him out of the schools. Don't forget the empty-headed folks that don't want anyone telling them what's right and wrong, because they hold that morality is strictly a personal thing - whatever floats their boat.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 03/02/12 - 09:51 am
What happened to the very

What happened to the very first post that was up here? Where is it? An excellent post that is now gone........where is it?

wise ole man
wise ole man 03/02/12 - 12:56 pm
I see this as maybe Mrs

I see this as maybe Mrs Sullivent is unable to control her bus. Maybe she needs a bus aide or a new route. I am sure the parents on her route may want a new driver especially after they see how she feels about them. snowflake- really? How mature on Mrs sullivent's part!

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/02/12 - 01:06 pm
"They may see things the way

"They may see things the way I see them – it is a waste of time to expect some administrators to “have our backs.”"

Of course you are right. The kids see the hypocrisy of the whole thing. They know there is no meaningful discipline in the system. It's a big joke to them. In fact, when I read the results of the faux-punishments handed out by the "tribunals", it's a joke to me too. They might as well put up an unmanned booth in the hallway somewhere and ask ill-behaving students to drop by once a day and say three Hail Marys or something.....oh wait......can't do that in school.

allhans
allhans 03/02/12 - 01:28 pm
dichotomy .Great post on "A

dichotomy .Great post on "A teachable moment" today.

Jane18
Jane18 03/02/12 - 01:40 pm
wise ole man, you should go

wise ole man, you should go out and talk to other other school bus drivers. Better than that, why not find out if you would be permitted to do a "ride along"?

wise ole man
wise ole man 03/02/12 - 03:09 pm
I have a very good friend

I have a very good friend who drives a bus- loves it. Never complains! I've been on field trips and have heard and seen the way bus drivers talk to and treat teachers- deplorable! I'm sure there a some children needing special attention but this letter was the furtherest from professional as you can get. if Mrs. Sullivent is unhappy with her route change.

PutaForkinIT
PutaForkinIT 03/02/12 - 06:47 pm
Good thing you drive a bus

Good thing you drive a bus and are not an administrator if 45 kids make you nuts!

concernedccmotherof2
concernedccmotherof2 03/02/12 - 08:19 pm
an administrator may care for

an administrator may care for more than 45 students but at least they don't have to keep 2 hands on the wheel, both eyes on the road and watching rude disrespectful children at same time. Administrators also have several other adults to assist, a bus driver is usually the only adult on the bus. I know for a fact bus drivers are not heard by administrators and take my hat off to any person that can drive a school bus in this day in age. Columbia County administrators need to open their eyes.

wise ole man
wise ole man 03/02/12 - 10:12 pm
Mrs. Sullivent is very

Mrs. Sullivent is very unprofessional. In most companies there are chains of command and after reading this letter it seems this disgruntled driver failed to follow the chain of command. No where does she mention she notified the principal or her supervisor. Penning this letter only alienated parents and the assistant principals. Resorting to petty name calling just shows Mrs. Sullivent is not as mature as her bus riders. If my child rode her bus I would worry- not because of these so called juvenile delinquents but worry the driver did not have the mentality to cope with the pressures of being a bus driver.

charlesaiken
charlesaiken 03/03/12 - 07:46 am
These kids are the results

These kids are the results the entitlement mentality that has been taught by the progressives/liberals, democrats and many black leaders for the last 30 to 40 years.

wise ole man
wise ole man 03/03/12 - 10:43 am
How sad that people would

How sad that people would side with a someone as unprofessional and immature as this bus driver! Do you really believe an assistant principal would jeopardize the lives of 40+ children over 1 or 2 disruptive children? Those ap's would be held libel if something happened on that bus and they had not taken actions. No- Mrs. Sullivent is too immature or stressed to effectely do her job. She has destroyed any working relationship she may have had with those ap's & she had allienated her parents. in ethereal world she would be dismissed for insubordination and for not following the chain of command- no where in this rant does she mention she contacted the principals or her supervisor before she decided to publish her opinion.

PutaForkinIT
PutaForkinIT 03/03/12 - 02:05 pm
Personally, I’d like to thank

Personally, I’d like to thank the teachers/educators/administration/bus drivers, office workers, the people that feed the children, etc - they are all so dedicated to their mission – the children - they work day and night to educate, etc our children. In my day, we had EG and Sue and many others and do you think for a second they wouldn’t deal with an unruly child – not in a heartbeat. Let the children have a great experience in school and let them learn! Something must be done – whoever is responsible – the parents, the care giver – the system!

Bruno
Bruno 03/03/12 - 02:24 pm
Pearl leaves out the largest

Pearl leaves out the largest problem. It is the teachers and their union.

wise ole man
wise ole man 03/03/12 - 05:19 pm
Teachers don't have a union-

Teachers don't have a union- unlike the bus drivers!

DHL49
DHL49 03/04/12 - 07:24 am
Wise up, old man! Pamela

Wise up, old man! Pamela Sullivant signed her letter. Sounds like a stand up gal to me. The administration is failing to handle the discipline reports and the student's misbehaviors continue. She demonstrated courage under fire and told the truth about a dangerous situation. A ride to school is a privilege. The opportunity for an education is a privilege. Like snowflakes, each student is unique, but I believe every student needs to be held 100% responsible for their behavior. The first infraction loses bus privileges for one week. The second infraction loses the privilege for the rest of the school year. A third, anytime after, no more rides, ever, including field trips.

school bus driver
school bus driver 03/05/12 - 06:16 pm
To wise ole man-you were

To wise ole man-you were wrong in more ways than one! 1-NEA (Teachers Union) is the largest union in the USA...2-As I see it, she followed procedure to the tee. Procedure calls for the DR's to be turned into the Administrators, that is following PROCEDURE! As for unprofessionalism and maturity, which were mentioned 8 times, certainly illustrates a lack of vocabulary and mentality. Your syntax could be a little more professional and mature.
Wise ole man, this letter, in no way, is insubordination! We do live in America, where FREEDOM Of SPEECH is guaranteed by the first amendment of the Constitution. Read the letter again, senile ole man. She did not mention any names, schools, Administrators, parents, etc....just her opinion!

concernedccmotherof2
concernedccmotherof2 03/07/12 - 03:30 pm
I have a relative that is a

I have a relative that is a school bus driver and I can say that procedures are followed by the drivers, It overlooked and put aside by the "chain of command". Without an administrator taking the chance to drive a bus with 45-60 children on the bus, I really don't think they know what a bus driver goes thru. I again respect any one person that will drive a school bus full of children they are willing to take all those childrens lives in their hands and make sure they are safely delievered to school or home. AGAIN THANK YOU COLUMBIA COUNTY BUS DRIVERS FOR ALL YOU DO and that goes for Pamela Sullivent as well, I back you 100%!!!!!!

concernedgrandmotherof5
concernedgrandmotherof5 03/07/12 - 05:51 pm
First ,Let me start off by

First ,Let me start off by saying Thank You to concernedccmotherof2 for your appreciation. Now to the (UN)wise ole man, I would like to ask you, Do you or Have you EVER driven a School bus?? From your comments I would guess not. I have for many years and each year the discipline problems worsen and the work for the drivers increase. A drivers first concern is for the SAFETY of his or her students. Trying to do that with 45 plus students is not an easy task. Not only do you have those kids screaming, throwing things,standing, calling your name to tattle on someone or sticking other kids with pencils, pens, and paper clips (that have been stretched out), You also have crazy drivers who are in a hurry, or on their cell phone, or just aggravated that you are driving 40 MPH and stopping every few feet. You know there is a law against texting on your cell phone while driving because just a split second taking your eyes off the road is dangerous and could cost you your life. I agree with that law 100%. Well when you are driving a school bus you have to make sure all the kids are behaving and safe and not being poked or stuck or slapped or hair pulled or ......on and on. To do that (UN) wise ole man a driver has to look in a mirror to see what the screaming and yelling or crying is about, which means eyes off the road for a second. The same second that is being talked about with texting that could get a driver killed could also be the split second that took a bus drivers eye off the road and killed those 45 or more kids. So a driver must rely on the System and Administrators to make these kids understand the seriousness of their actions, no matter how small they may seem. Most of the time a driver does all he or she can do to handle the discipline on their own but after awhile its time to take it the Administrators to handle it . If its gotten to that point , a phone call home or a talking to is not enough!! A driver is hired to drive these kids to and from school safely. One point you made I DO agree with,,A monitor or aide is NEEDED on EVERY bus!! So before you accuse someone of not being able to control or handle their bus maybe you should know all the facts or maybe you should try doing it yourself!! and one more thing if your friend that drives tells you they NEVER have discipline problems, maybe you should find more truthful friends!

school bus driver
school bus driver 03/07/12 - 07:29 pm
to concernedmotherof2 and

to concernedmotherof2 and concernedgrandmotherof5.....Thank you from the bottom of my heart, as a driver myself, I appreciate the positive comments and the support of you and others who have given us drivers the support we need and appreciate! again, thank you! as for the others, all i can say, is get on a bus for 1 full day, after a pep-rally, on Friday and then see who needs support and who don't....us drivers in the Richmond County and Columbia County really love our job because if we didn"t, we would not be so concerned about the children that depend on us for the love and support they get from us!