Writers too conservative

This is regarding Michelle Malkin and Walter Williams, syndicated columnists for your paper. Why are they so right-wing conservative? Don’t they realize that the CSRA is composed of liberals, conservatives and middle-of-the-road folks? Michelle Malkin and Walter Williams are anti-government. Republicans, Democrats and independents are not all ultra-conservatives.

Since these columnists are syndicated, I don’t believe they echo the feelings of a majority of the folks in this area. The old saying “love it or leave it” still applies.

Art Williams

Aiken, S.C.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/28/12 - 05:04 am
I tend to agree with this

I tend to agree with this writer. I would go a step further and say that Malkin has got to be the most unhappy being on God's green earth. Confession: When attempting to read her column, I find myself so turned off by the overwhelming negativity that I fold the pages or scroll to another post. Maybe there is something positive in the parts that I miss, but she does little to pull in those of oppositie views by using her name call, vitriolic flame throwing, "they are all bad" approach.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/12 - 05:15 am
Ha, want to bet on the number

Ha, want to bet on the number of conversatives v. liberals in the area? Y'all would lose that one as bad as Sheriff Roscoe chasing the Duke boys.

carcraft
carcraft 02/28/12 - 05:30 am
Riverman- They just don't

Riverman- They just don't like the fact that Malkin has Obama pegged and continually exposes his corrupt behind the door dealings. Williams is a pew of physcal sanity in the church of the insane!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 02/28/12 - 06:35 am
national polls continue to

national polls continue to show the majority of americans are conservative..the CSRA is at best a mirror of the national mood probably more than less..as far as your protrayal of conservative writers you are wrong..and the vast majority of papers are liberal..do you complain about the atlanta paper not being balance????

agustinian
agustinian 02/28/12 - 07:27 am
Well, I don't like rutabaga's

Well, I don't like rutabaga's but it doesn't bother me that the grocery stills carry them. If you don't like their views, don't read them.

The newspaper, like the grocery store, carries lots items to appeal to lots of people. Pick out what you like and move on.

impossible
impossible 02/28/12 - 08:08 am
If someone complained about a

If someone complained about a Black liberal columnist, they would be denounced as racist. Perhaps letter writer Art Williams is really a racist when he criticizes an Asain and a Black columnist. No, he's just a liberal, and the light of truth hurts his eyes.

He should consider them to be Christ-like because they write amidst tax collectors and sinners. Whoops, now I have given Obama and supporters some grist for their spin machine - Obama can say, "Well, if Jesus sat down with tax collectors, I must certainly be on the path of righteousness as the premier tax collector, and being for infantacide I must qualify as a preeminent sinner." So there Rick Santorum, see what a wonderful Christian I am!

How did Williams miss Star Parker, Thomas Sowell, etc.?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/28/12 - 08:49 am
As has been said many times

As has been said many times before, the quickest way to silence a liberal is to simply state the truth. Invariably, they'll shift focus from the issue at hand, and start criticizing (even attacking) the integrity of the person expressing an opposing view.

Look at the words of Mr. Williams. There are no real specifics regarding issues. Instead, he just attacks the people who express a view he opposes. He disagrees with them, so they are "bad" and should be silenced. Very typical. No surprises here.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 02/28/12 - 09:39 am
Since the 1960s I have heard

Since the 1960s I have heard liberals complain about the 'conservative' Augusta Chronicle. Can't those who value liberty and a free market have at least one page where they can read articles extolling liberty and free enterprise?

The rest of the paper is brought to you by the Assaociated Press, UPI or McClatchey (SP?) Press. And on tv you have CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, TNN, and so on. Conservatives have Fox, which has more viewers than all of the other news channels combines. As the sage of Rayle, Georgia, Ma Hardin, used to say, "THink about it, it means something." Or, just think.

And, the accompanying letter on the page goes further to make my point. You might think about that, too.

specsta
specsta 02/28/12 - 11:18 am
Yes, the CSRA is composed of

Yes, the CSRA is composed of both liberals and conservatives and middle-of-the-road residents - however, the Chronicle would like for you to believe that right-wing conservatism is the normal way of thinking. So they stack the deck with extreme commentators for the right.

"Unbiased" reporting is a term unknown to these folks.

iLove
iLove 02/28/12 - 11:26 am
What is a liberal? What is a

What is a liberal? What is a conservative, what is a this? What is a that?

Society loves to place HUMAN BEINGS in catagories.

TParty
TParty 02/28/12 - 12:30 pm
nofanofobama: Conservatives

nofanofobama: Conservatives in America are not the majority according to polls, it's a plurality.

As a conservative I feel Michelle Malkin is full of ignorance and feigned outrage, and thus the reason I don't pay attention to her.

Walter Williams, I've never heard of him, so I did a quick google search for some of his quotes. These were the top ones:

"There are people in need of help. Charity is one of the nobler human motivations. The act of reaching into one's own pockets to help a fellow man in need is praiseworthy and laudable. Reaching into someone else's pocket is despicable and worthy of condemnation."

"One of the wonderful things about free markets is that the path to greater wealth comes not from looting, plundering and enslaving one's fellow man, as it has throughout most of human history, but by serving and pleasing him."

"Government officials, if given power to control us, soon become zealots."

I don't know who this guy is and it's shame. I'll be looking into him deeply this evening, and I hope this paper promotes his words more and posters do the same.

Thanks Art Williams for introducing me to Walter.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/28/12 - 12:57 pm
Walter Williams makes a lot

Walter Williams makes a lot of sense -- at a time when many folks don't want to hear sensible advice.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/28/12 - 01:12 pm
Art Williams wrote: Since

Art Williams wrote:

They may not echo the feelings of a majority of the folks in the CSRA, but the Chronicle is doing us all a favor, liberal and conservative alike, by educating us with information from its columnists. Don't kill the goose that provides education.

Hey, Art, while you're getting educated, take a look at this web site.

impossible
impossible 02/28/12 - 02:45 pm
speesta. When are you going

speesta. When are you going o publish your dictionary? Call it deformnitions.

david jennings
david jennings 02/28/12 - 04:22 pm
How can one be too

How can one be too conservative?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/28/12 - 05:09 pm
I don't find Michelle Malkin

I don't find Michelle Malkin negative at all, nor unhappy. I find her to be a person that thinks for herself and is determined to improve the United States of America by speaking up.

Bruno
Bruno 02/28/12 - 05:57 pm
Mr. Williams complaint is

Mr. Williams complaint is that a couple of nationally syndicated columnists who are writing for a large segment of the country are not narrow enough in their writing for the CRSA. Seems to me that the problem isn't with the authors but rather with Mr. Williams.

Retired Army
Retired Army 02/28/12 - 08:43 pm
What really scares the

What really scares the avatars of "dead tree journalism" AKA the Augusta Chronicle editorial staff is the advent of the modern news format AKA the Internet.

I read their "editorials" daily and happen to be an ardent critic of the selfish-self serving thinking that emanates from the Broad street ivory tower. They are aware that they can be called to task for poor journalism because the information age gives all of us the ability to get to the truth quickly. What I don't get is the lack of any sense of responsibility or hubris, if you will, to straighten out the record and even apologize on occasion.

Does this publication even have an ombudsman to call errors of opinion, mis-representation of facts or willful omissions of mitigating factors to task? Such a position might do well to improve the integrity and quality of the service the Chronicle provides.

This is America, where unlike many places, the exchange of ideas and the free flow of information is largely unfettered not because of corporate owned media of any stripe, but because of concerned and unafraid citizens, armed as never before with the ability to seek truth. Thus truth will always out or as one pundit so well said "you are entitled to your opinions, but not your facts".

Bruno
Bruno 02/28/12 - 09:22 pm
RA, you call for an ombudsman

RA, you call for an ombudsman to call errors of opinion but then recognize that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think that for the most part what most see as "errors of opinion" is simply an opinion that they don't agree with. If you see the AC making errors in facts then feel free to call them out.

Retired Army
Retired Army 02/29/12 - 12:05 am
Good try Bruno. but there are

Good try Bruno. but there are others who are better at digging up facts than I who have pointed out factual errors to this editorial staff on numerous occasions without a single retraction or apology that comes to mind.

I just finished reading the editorial in today's paper calling for civility. I'm all for civility when it is combined with an honest effort at humility. Otherwise it's just garbage.

yakirz
yakirz 03/04/12 - 12:41 am
I gave up on expecting

I gave up on expecting anything but right-wing propaganda from this paper years ago...