Legal guns aren't problem

In response to the Rev. Paul Cook’s Feb. 4 letter (“We need stricter gun laws”): We already have enough gun laws on the books already. The problem is that they are not enforced. The law-abiding people are not the ones committing the crimes. It is the criminals.

A question for the Rev Cook: Where did the perps who shot and killed two police officers get the guns? They couldn’t have gotten them legally because they were felons. One of them had two federal gun violations. Why was he out free?

The judicial system is at fault. A felon with a federal violation should have been locked up with no chance of getting out. If you want to blame someone, blame the bleeding-heart lawyers and the judges who let the felons walk the street instead of putting them in jail. I am a death-penalty advocate, and I hope those two felons pay the ultimate penalty.

Privacy was the main culprit in the shooting of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. The shooter has mental problems. Why was it not known by the authorities? Privacy of his medical records. Had they known, it might have been prevented.

Woodrow Short

Aiken, S.C.

Retired Army
Retired Army 02/27/12 - 12:17 am
Mr. Short writes"In Great

Mr. Short writes"In Great Britain, they have strict gun laws. The people have no guns to protect themselves, but the felons have them."

One wonders what the homicide by firearm rate is in Great Britain as compared to the USA? You opened this door Mr. Short. Let's get the experts in today and see where it leads. Just the facts please. How many people die from gun violence in Great Britain per capita as opposed to the USA.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 02/27/12 - 12:43 am
Who cares? I don't live in GB

Who cares? I don't live in GB and they don't have our constitution. Maybe if there weren't so many felons walking the streets we wouldn't need our guns. Judges that let these convicted felons walk the streets without doing any real prison time are the biggest problem. That and the prisons are not nearly tough enough. Hard labor should be brought back and 2 time gun offenders should get life sentences and I mean FOR LIFE!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/27/12 - 12:50 am
I notice the question you ask

I notice the question you ask is: How many people die from gun violence in Great Britain per capita as opposed to USA? Fair enough IF you also include how many murders per capita as opposed to USA, regardless of weapon used to commit the crime. I have no idea what the result would be, but personally, I wonder how many murders would be successful in Britain if the citizenry had weaponry to protect themselves? I suppose that is harder to track, isn't it? (Rhetorical question).

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 02/27/12 - 03:06 am
"All men are created

"All men are created equal."

"Col. Colt made them effectively equal."

And now, out of the other side of my mouth: Folks who traffic in, sell or possess illegal guns should get their ***** burned.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/27/12 - 08:16 am
I have had guns in my house

I have had guns in my house for over 30 years. Would you believe not a single one of them has shot anybody. I guess people just need to train their guns better. Some of them are even loaded and still they haven't gotten out and shot somebody. I must have trained them right.

Pu239
Pu239 02/27/12 - 08:35 am
According to "The Telegraph"

According to "The Telegraph" violent crime rate in the UK is 4 times what the violent crime rate is in the US. I guess with no guns for the general public, the crooks feel comfortable commiting a violent crime.

meginlea
meginlea 02/27/12 - 08:53 am
In college, my friend studied

In college, my friend studied abroad in Wales. All of his friends there kept asking him if in America, people just walked around on the streets with guns out. They were all terrified to come here because they thought they'd get shot. It was their stereotype of Americans because of how easily we have access to these weapons here. I am not stating whether that is right or wrong. I am just sharing the interesting/humorous/ironic story. The people who were native to where my friend studied ACTUALLY thought that if they came to visit America they might get shot b/c people carried guns with them all the time.

Retired Army
Retired Army 02/27/12 - 10:07 am
No takers I see on my

No takers I see on my question-one dissembler-Autumleaves. Maybe I'll go looking for the answer later. My guess is that those who do have the answer and are ardent NRA types wouldn't want that information published.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/12 - 10:14 am
The reason you had no takers

The reason you had no takers on your question, RA, is because the question is meaningless. Comparing rates of anything between countries answers no question and provides no insight.

Carleton Duvall

Country Sources 2010 2011 Most
recent
Honduras [7][8][9] 78 86 86
El Salvador

madgerman
madgerman 02/27/12 - 10:59 am
Mr Shorts letter says it all

Mr Shorts letter says it all in the first para. We are a "country of laws" unfortunately we don't impose them on criminals like England does. Isn't it ironic that we all know our legal system is totally broke and yet as a collective voice, every time there is an election for someone to be our representative in Atlanta we vote another lawyer into office. And who does our laws favor for monetary gain???? Pretty simple really, if you want laws that the public understands, vote for someone who will not have a direct connection between their bank account and the laws they enact.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/27/12 - 11:05 am
And BTW, I would probably be

And BTW, I would probably be what you termed "an NRA type".

Rhetor
Rhetor 02/27/12 - 11:22 am
Seung-Hui Cho shot up

Seung-Hui Cho shot up Virginia Tech with legally obtained firearms.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/12 - 11:48 am
Yeah, but he won't do it

Yeah, but he won't do it again.

TParty
TParty 02/27/12 - 11:52 am
A shooting at a high school

A shooting at a high school in Ohio just happened. Four students were shot. How many school shootings do other nations have? I know Stuttgart Germany had a bad one a few years ago, but how many nations have these many school shootings? I guess we should blame the bleeding-heart lawyers and the judges for this school shooting as well.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/27/12 - 12:20 pm
So, you are saying it is

So, you are saying it is legal for a student to have a gun?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/12 - 12:23 pm
As long as he is over 18, a

As long as he is over 18, a student can own a handgun. Of course, to purchase a firearm he has to meet additional background requirements.

Jane18
Jane18 02/27/12 - 12:49 pm
My Dad, my husband, my

My Dad, my husband, my brother, my son, my stepson, my exhusband, my friends, are just like Roadkill, they trained their guns too!!

Common.sense
Common.sense 02/27/12 - 01:04 pm
Riddle me this, what is a

Riddle me this, what is a legal gun?

Common.sense
Common.sense 02/27/12 - 01:12 pm
An 18 year old can purchase a

An 18 year old can purchase a long gun, but they have to wait until they are 21 to purchase a handgun.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/27/12 - 01:36 pm
Well, we don't want to be a

Well, we don't want to be a socialized medicine England and we don't want to be a gun banned England.

We are a free country and owning weapons is a constitutionally protected right, like it or not. With freedoms come responsibility. If our judges would rigorously enforce the laws already on the books about commission of a crime with a gun, and if they would lock the violators up for, oh say, 25 years minimum with no chance for parole, then the number of firearm related crimes would nosedive. Funny, the anti-gun Nazis never crusade for enforcing existing laws. Put the pressure on the judges and prosecutors, not legal gun owners. Liberals always seem to want to punish the people who are doing things legally and responsibly. There is a way to reduce gun crimes without violating the constitutional rights of legal gun owners but you might have to actually lock some criminals for extended periods of times. I know your liberals hate to do that, but it is a thought.

David Parker
David Parker 02/27/12 - 04:53 pm
In all seriousness, if one

In all seriousness, if one day we woke up and guns were prohibited, there would be another war. I think most could agree on that.

Bruno
Bruno 02/27/12 - 06:03 pm
TParty, it is illogical to

TParty, it is illogical to blame the inanimate object for the actions of a sentient being. But here you go: March 13, 1996 Dunblane, Scotland; March 1997 Sanaa, Yemen;April 28, 1999 Taber, Alberta, Canada; Dec. 7, 1999 Veghel, Netherlands; March 2000 Branneburg, Germany; Jan. 18, 2001 Jan, Sweden; Feb. 19, 2002 Freising, Germany; April 26, 2002
Erfurt, Germany; April 29, 2002 Vlasenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina; Sept. 28, 2004 Carmen de Patagones, Argentina;Sept. 13, 2006 Montreal, Canada; Nov. 7, 2007 Tuusula, Finland; Sept. 23, 2008 Kauhajoki, Finland; March 11, 2009 Winnenden, Germany.
That was just a quick search. I am sure that there are more. My point is that it isn't the weapon that kills the people it is the person.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/27/12 - 09:10 pm
Dichotomy and others are

Dichotomy and others are correct, it is the criminal element in this country (make your own conclusions as to WHY we have such a large share) that commit gun crimes. If there were no guns they would still commit them with whatever weapon they could find.

Bizkit
Bizkit 02/27/12 - 11:40 pm
Well it is simple. It is one

Well it is simple. It is one of the those "constitutional" rights (like freedom of religion and speech) you just aren't going to be rid of for the near future. A threat to any one (constitutional right) is a threat to all so resistance will be great. A gun is a projectile firing weapon (it can be an air-rifle or gunpowder), we made this progress from the primitive bow and arrow, swords, knives , and stones, so apparently the history of man is littered with death by weapon (not particularly a gun). The solution is simple don't get rid of guns-get rid of people. After all guns don't kill people-people kill people (mostly crazy ones which is no excuse). I was in London and saw weapon carrying police and soldiers. Most countries have a standing army with guns. You aren't going to get rid of guns-perhaps just create a blackmarket. What is sad is so many Americans remain quiet when they know or work with some psychopath they fear maybe a nutcase-seems most of the stories always have flags.