Oppose abortion logically

Regarding Craig Douglas Albert’s defense of Obama’s yielding to pressure from the Catholic Church over birth control (“Mandate has silver lining,” Feb. 19):

The only thing standing between us and World War III is birth control. Our planet cannot sustain its more than 7 billion people for long with current technology. We already are beginning to fight over water rights, CO2 output, oil and housing. Overpopulation begets war and destroys nature.

Without birth control, world population would at least quadruple within two generations. Attempting to use abstinence, the average woman would have her two or three children by age 20 and then be asked to not have sex anymore. This is simply not possible. It is a complete disregard for human nature to ask this of us.

There is no biblical opposition to contraception. Birth control was not an issue during biblical times. Family size meant wealth in agrarian society. Genesis may say “go forth and multiply,” but that was 7 billion people ago.

Abortion also is not covered in the Bible except, if we stretch it a bit, by a brief mention of a fine imposed for causing a woman to miscarry – clearly not punished as though it were murder. And Deuteronomy 21:18-21 tells us to stone our rebellious children to death. Abortion apparently is biblically permitted up to age 18.

If you don’t like abortion (and I don’t like it myself), you have to argue against it logically, rather than invoking God’s will by pulling ambiguous biblical references out of context. You cannot impose legal restrictions based on religious belief in a free nation that plays host to all beliefs as equal citizens.

It is irresponsible of the Catholic Church (and any church of any religion) to deny its followers access to contraception. Please don’t destroy my planet. I have no where else to go.

Joseph Klar

Evans

copperhead
copperhead 02/26/12 - 07:53 am
It is sad when the MAJOR

It is sad when the MAJOR issue for the election of our president is abortion! Shows that Americans are easily distracted. But,the oldest rule in the book still applies-DIVIDE AND CONQUER don't y'all see that EVERY word out of EVERY candidate's mouth is propaganda? IF these people were half way competent,we would not have crisis after crisis after crisis!

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/26/12 - 09:01 am
Mr. Klar, let me first say

Mr. Klar, let me first say that I agree with you that birth control is necessary for families and do not think there is anything morally wrong. I would prefer young women who are unmarried refrain from having premarital sex, but we are living in the real world, and would much rather a young woman use birth control, than bring a child into the world whom they don't want or can't support, or abort.

That being said, I believe you have the wrong information concerning Catholics (which I am not) and birth control. You said "Attempting to use abstinence, the average woman would have her two or three children by age 20 and then be asked to not have sex anymore." Catholics are not advocating abstinences, they are NOT saying, have your children and then no more sex. They advocate "natural family planning" which IS a form of birth control, but does not mean that a married couple can not form their marital duties. They just choose when the appropriate time would be when the opportunity for conception of a child would be most unlikely.

As for your opinion that abortion is not covered in the Bible. That is a whole different subject, and YOU ARE WRONG, but that is your opinion, you have a right to your opinion, but your statement is not factual.

Techfan
Techfan 02/26/12 - 09:17 am
What do you call people who

What do you call people who practice "natural family planning"? Mom and Dad.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/12 - 09:27 am
That's funny...Mom &

That's funny...Mom & Dad...hheheh

Yep a good statement....some things are not possible..

copperhead
copperhead 02/26/12 - 10:03 am
I wonder if we could get the

I wonder if we could get the undocumented immigrants to practice birth control?

itsanotherday1
42042
itsanotherday1 02/26/12 - 10:08 am
Just repeal the law that

Just repeal the law that allows their offspring to be citizens because they were hatched on this soil.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/26/12 - 10:25 am
Techfan, maybe so, but it's

Techfan, maybe so, but it's really up to God. I call people who practice "natural planning" accurrately and with knowledge, responsible. After all it is their religious belief whether we agree with it or not. If you think birth control is responsible and a necessity, then by all means, practice it, just don't expect the Catholic faith to supply the necessary funds to buy your pills.

Seenitb4, why would this be against human nature....where does it say in the Catholic faith they can not have sex unless they wish to procreate? Natural family planning is just that, plan to have relations when the woman is less-likely to conceive. It is a mutual understanding between a husband and a wife who follow the same faith.

Bruno
Bruno 02/26/12 - 10:36 am
"The only thing standing

"The only thing standing between us and World War III is birth control. Our planet cannot sustain its more than 7 billion people for long with current technology."
This statement has no back up in data. We already produce more food than we can eat. Technology is not static. It is always advancing. You wish people to discuss abortion logically but fail to use sound logic in your article.

alumna
alumna 02/26/12 - 10:49 am
Of course the Catholic Church

Of course the Catholic Church can tell its followers not to use birth control! The Catholic Church does not have a monopoly on Christianity or religion at all, for that matter. If a Christian doesn't want to live by the basic tenants of the faith, of which the avoiding of murder of the unborn is one, then that person has the freedom and right to choose a different denomination that allows contraception and abortion - there are plenty to choose from!

impossible
impossible 02/26/12 - 11:01 am
Alles nicht Klar. Let's use

Alles nicht Klar. Let's use some logic: Fetus is defined as a "little one;" A "little one" what? Not a tree, flower, elephant, [filtered word] or puppy, but a little human being - a person. A human being's right to life should not depend upon age, size, location or disability. Bible? Yes, the Bible, God's word, says that you shall not kill.

As for having "no place else to go?" By our own choice, we each have a place to go. That's biblical too.

Techfan
Techfan 02/26/12 - 10:55 am
"The day after pill is an

"The day after pill is an abortifacient which kills the little person by denying her implantation."
As does an IUD.

impossible
impossible 02/26/12 - 11:02 am
Thanks for the logical

Thanks for the logical addition.

Jane18
Jane18 02/26/12 - 11:09 am
Thank you impossible! One

Thank you impossible! One thing though, the Hebrew wording is "Thou shall do no murder". Terrible word, isn't it?...murder, murder..........

carcraft
carcraft 02/26/12 - 11:27 am
If anybody wants birth

If anybody wants birth control they can get it. Just don't force religious institutions that object to it to pay for it. Isn't that why planned parent hood exists and gets federal funding? the federal government now defines what is a religous institution. If you work in the Church office you are a religious employee. If you work in the soup kitchen you are not a religious employee even thought the soup kitchen employees are paid for from the same check ledger!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/12 - 12:01 pm
Ohh pleeeze icl.... I started

Ohh pleeeze icl....

I started to type a long answer here but hey....why waste my time.....
I will say this....That rhythm method you are talking about works everytime heh...I'm laughing....all humans have differences...I'm sure you know that though....some females have more than 1 period a month....didya know that....
I'll just say this...I will consult with my doctor about MY BODY & listen to him.....a religion/church/voodooman/witch/etc. WON'T be in my decision making....now get the clickers going here because I'm not convinced a church knows what is best for me......& btw....yall are free to believe any ole way you want to....you won't see me telling YOU what to do..:)
I won't respond any more on this....

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/26/12 - 12:20 pm
I never could figure out why

I never could figure out why sex was related to having babies. I mean who wants to even think about that during sex? It's like two totally unrelated activies. A cuddly little baby has something to do with sex? I refuse to believe it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/12 - 12:40 pm
impossible...Thanks for

impossible...Thanks for calling me baby.....but I just like men....but thanks anyway...:)

bjphysics
bjphysics 02/26/12 - 12:48 pm
Natural Birth Control doesn’t

Natural Birth Control doesn’t work: Bill & Monica practiced natural birth control but ended up conceiving a baby blue dress.

My bad.

userwords
userwords 02/26/12 - 01:04 pm
I totally agree. Im Christian

I totally agree. Im Christian and i see as a mistake to consider abortion a form of contraception (free abortion, as medical abortion for health issues is acceptable for humane reasons). But overpopulation is making cancer rate rise and is already 44%. Quality of life, human rights, children access to healthy nature, engrossing population below poverty limits, and many other reason make overpopulation the root issue for all the rest. Even situations like terrorism or war for resources, or some goverment collapse, causes can be traced to overpopulation easily.

So at this point contraception is a must for any responsible highly educated person. A that must be pushed with education programs into the rest of the population with less access to them. Specially in developing countries.

I personally would also pass tax policies rewarding those who have one child for their contribution. I would also reward in some way those who did not have a child a decided to undergo sterilization surgery. I find it fair as we are already putting overpricing in may products because of the increasing scarcity of them upon their increasing demand above the limits caused by overpopulation. So people doing something about that by themselves deserves some reward.

Ive assisted all my academics in catholic education centers, but at this point this is more of a surviving situation and not a dilemma. We must use the most ethical methods to move world population below 3.500 million or people will keep dying from cancer, starvation, lack of edible water, and many other overpopulation created pandemias.

allhans
allhans 02/26/12 - 02:33 pm
bj..and now we have an adult

bj..and now we have an adult blue dress?

museofsatie
museofsatie 02/26/12 - 04:27 pm
NFP is good for women whose

NFP is good for women whose cycles are regular all the time. It's not good for those of us who have irregular cycles. So, for many, many people, NFP is a horribly unreliable method of "birth control" that ends up making lots of new parents out of people who would rather not be. Knowing that I have irregular cycles, I've never even considered attempting NFP and, instead, have used the birth control patch and (now, after having two kids with my husband) an IUD.

"More logic: Birth control pill? The day after pill is an abortifacient which kills the little person by denying her implantation. "

The morning after pill is not an abortifacient since it does not cause an abortion. Stopping implantation is not an abortion. You may not like the notion of a pill stopping implantation, but that doesn't mean you get to change the definition of what an abortion (or an "abortifacient") is.

"Fetus is defined as a "little one;" A "little one" what? Not a tree, flower, elephant, [filtered word] or puppy, but a little human being - a person."

Fetus is derived from "fetus", which meant "the hatching/birthing of young". It became "the young while in the womb/egg form" from that. The "young" in these meanings applies to humans and other animals. And, if you want to get really technical and nitpicky, "fetus" is also used by some in reference to plants (e.g. the fruit of the tree).

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/26/12 - 04:25 pm
seenitb4, I am very aware of

seenitb4, I am very aware of the bodily functions of a female. Been one for over 50 years.

"...I will consult with my doctor about MY BODY & listen to him.....a religion/church/voodooman/witch/etc. WON'T be in my decision making"

I would hope that you consult your doctor about issues with your body and it's not religion/church/voodooman or a witch who should be in the decision making.....but if you are a child of God and put your faith and belief in Him, then only He should be the one who guides you in the decisions you make, although even then you don't have to listen to His guidance.

The issue isn't about telling you or any other woman that they can or cannot use articial birth control. The issue is telling a religious institution that does not biblically believe in birth control, they have to fund it. It would be no different than telling the Christian church they have to provide funds for their employees to have an abortion. No one is saying you can or can not have one, but don't expect someone else to pay for it.

If you believe in birth control and abortion, then that is your right, pay for them yourself.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/26/12 - 04:42 pm
@3:25. I believe the

@3:25. I believe the President agreed that churches that opposed offering contraceptives did not have to do so. Too bad that did not end it for those who wanted to make this a political football. The other issue is that some use these drugs for reasons other than contraception. I agree with an earlier post that questions why the Catholic church does not seem to be equally opposed to contraceptives used by men. If it is opposed, it sure isn't getting the same press.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/26/12 - 04:44 pm
museofsatie, I believe you

museofsatie, I believe you are confusing the Rhythm Method and Natural family planning method.

NFP is completely different than the "Rhythm Method."
The Rhythm (or Calendar) method was developed in the 1930s. It was based on the theory that the time of ovulation could be determined by calculating previous menstrual cycles. This method often proved inaccurate because of the unique nature of each woman's menstrual cycle: some women have very irregular cycles and almost all women have a cycle of unusual length once in a while.

The effectiveness rates of the modern NFP methods skyrocket to 99% in postponing or planning a pregnancy because it is based on the observation of biological markers of fertility, not on the length of cycle as used in the Rhythm method. NFP works for women of any age, and even for women with irregular cycles.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/12 - 04:49 pm
USAFVET just died icl.....for

USAFVET just died icl.....for some reason debating with you just doesn't matter right now....have a good evening icl..... peace

impossible
impossible 02/26/12 - 05:00 pm
Those to whom truth matters

Those to whom truth matters actually tell the truth. The Catholic Church teaches that all artificial contraception is contrary to God's law - to natural law. Obviously, the irregular woman doesn't understand the meaning and method of NFP.

Ok "muse," then use embryo. It it's an embryo in the female of the human species, it's not a plant, etc., but a little human being entitled to live. Once it is determined that the right to live is based upon age, size, location or degree of disability or ability, then the flood gates are wide open for one person for personal convenience to snff out the life of another person.

If you deprive someone of food, sustenance, oxygen etc. causing them to perish, how does that differ from killing them?

museofsatie
museofsatie 02/26/12 - 04:58 pm
ICL: Yes, you're right, I

ICL: Yes, you're right, I was confusing the terms NFP and Rhythm Method. That was my bad.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/26/12 - 04:59 pm
It was announced on Jan. 20

It was announced on Jan. 20 that parishes and houses of worship would be exempted from the requirement, but that other religiously affiliated employers, like Catholic hospitals and universities, would still have to pay for the coverage. It said that the Catholic institutions would not have to pay for the birth control coverage or refer their employees to it, but that it would all be covered directly by the insurance companies. The issue now is what to do about Catholic institutions that are “self-insured,” meaning that they act as both the insurer and the employer.

madgerman
madgerman 02/26/12 - 05:02 pm
Are Catholic hospitals only

Are Catholic hospitals only hiring people of catholic faith? BTW if it is a hospital and enjoying the set aside of property taxes - where do they hold services? To me a church should be exempt only for the structure where services are held, not the preachers house the pizza joint down the street or the investments in wall street or the private jet the cardinals fly in.

Bonk
Bonk 02/26/12 - 08:30 pm
NFP requires periodic

NFP requires periodic abstinence. Most people would not want to put their sexual activity on a schedule. However, I agree that there are probably a few out there who wouldn't mind.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...