County officials have failed

The construction of Magnolia Trace is an open invitation to import poverty, drugs, crime and other despicable behaviors into Columbia County.

It is bad enough we have a government run amok at the federal level, dictating what we should eat, our health care and the type of cars we should drive. We in Columbia County expect better of our elected officials. Yes, we the taxpayers – the ones who get out of bed every day, go to work, pay our taxes and go about our business. And this is how you treat us in return!

I guess the parents of Columbia County officials never taught them the Golden Rule. Maybe trips to the woodshed were ineffective as a teaching tool. Or perhaps they missed the church services when the minister preached on Matthew 7:12: “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.”

Regardless, Columbia County officials failed to perform their civic duties to serve and protect the people in Columbia County. To that, I say shame, shame on you!

Perhaps they needed one more trip to the woodshed to fully learn and understand the Golden Rule!

Harvey Reif

Evans

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 02/20/12 - 01:27 am
Mr. Reif, Don't for one

Mr. Reif,

Don't for one moment think that our CC doesn't have more poverty, drugs, crimes and other despicable behaviors- including some by county politicos, than both you and I wish our county had.

specsta
specsta 02/20/12 - 01:44 am
"...an open invitation to

"...an open invitation to import poverty, drugs, crime and other despicable behaviors into Columbia County."

It seems as if the writer has made an assumption that wealth negates all negative behaviors. In Mr. Reif's world, the wealthy live in a fairy-tale land where everyone is decent, drug-free, crime-free and sing happy songs by the campfire.

Conversely, it seems as of the writer believes that those of lower incomes, who might reside in Magnolia Trace, are the scourge of humanity.

Let's just get this straight - money does not equal decency. There are some folks with money that are the most soul-less, corrupt, greedy, selfish individuals you could ever meet. Trust me, I've met a few...

allhans
allhans 02/20/12 - 08:55 am
I don't know specta..

I don't know specta..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/20/12 - 06:21 am
spec said... Let's just get

spec said...

well...just name 1 why doncha....heh...we have all met them......look at the national news everynight.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/20/12 - 06:43 am
Give me the economic

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/20/12 - 06:47 am
Yeh RM...but can you predict

Yeh RM...but can you predict the weather??

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 02/20/12 - 08:07 am
seenit - the weather!!! I

seenit - the weather!!! I don't think there is anyone that can predict the weather right. I have been watching it for weeks now - guess we'll have to watch the weatherman out of the Chicago area - he hits the nail right on the head, every time!

harley_52
harley_52 02/20/12 - 08:12 am
Riverman1 said "Give me the

Riverman1 said "Give me the economic demographics of a neighborhood and I can accurately predict crime rates and school rankings."

And I can predict their voting party of choice and their most likely primary source of income.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/20/12 - 08:17 am
Harley & Riverman..the 2

Harley & Riverman..the 2 great predictors on here...:)

Who will win in Nov.....Mr predictors!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/20/12 - 08:24 am
I'm kind of predictulous on

I'm kind of predictulous on the election. That's when you know the outcome you're predicting is going to be ridiculous.

twolane
twolane 02/20/12 - 08:57 am
bahahahah what color is the

bahahahah what color is the sky in your world as a former lakeside graduate the only thing different between an affluent neighborhood and a ghetto is the quality and quantity of the drugs....

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/20/12 - 09:00 am
Well, yeah, Lakeside does

Well, yeah, Lakeside does have a few. How are you a former graduate? Did they take your diploma away?

corgimom
corgimom 02/20/12 - 10:12 am
No, there is NO difference

No, there is NO difference between the quality and the quantity of the drugs. None.

Patty-P
Patty-P 02/20/12 - 11:24 am
Specsta is right.

Specsta is right.

David Parker
David Parker 02/20/12 - 02:44 pm
I just watch Freddy's

I just watch Freddy's forecast and he's got a winning %

People and homes = good
drugs and crime = not good

harley_52
harley_52 02/20/12 - 03:43 pm
Specsta, is partially right.

Specsta, is partially right. That's often the case with specsta.

He's right when he says "money does not equal decency. There are some folks with money that are the most soul-less, corrupt, greedy, selfish individuals you could ever meet." No argument from me and I doubt none from Mr. Reif.

Specsta is wrong when he says "It seems as if the writer has made an assumption that wealth negates all negative behaviors," and then goes on to talk about "fairy-tale(s)" and campfire singing. I don't think Mr. Reif is saying ALL poor people are bad and ALL wealthy people are good, which is what specsta accuses him of saying. You're rarely accurate when you use words like "all" of "never" to describe anything outside the realm of mathematics or science, especially opinions or behavior.

I don't think there's any doubt you can use demographics, including income levels, to make some reasonably accurate predictions about crime statistics, neighborhood appearance and other issues important to property owners.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 02/20/12 - 04:47 pm
There is a brand new "poor"

There is a brand new "poor" in town. It isn't the same as the "old" poor. We've had this discussion several times now. Think back, what poverty did look and act like and what it looks and acts like now. Nope, it's not the same, and it's neither pleasant or safe to be around.

I think we might find specsta to be less wrong at times, if we were all singing from the same hymnal. There's a reason for the page numbers.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 02/20/12 - 04:53 pm
specsta, no family is without

specsta, no family is without some dysfunctional behavior to some degree or another. What we are talking about is the level of it, the legality of it and the overflowing of it to the degree that it adversely and greatly affects others who did not cause it, have no control over it, and have no power to either manage or cure it.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/20/12 - 07:05 pm
No, it is not about income

No, it is not about income levels. I've lived in the county since 1977; at that time we were the "poor relations" to Richmond County. Fully half the homes were mobile homes; and the majority of roads like Columbia and Belair were two lanes.

Growth of the community took place mainly because of genteel flight. This to be distinguished from stereotypical 'white flight' in that the people fleeing the collapse of the old city of Augusta, and later, consolidation, were doing so because of economics rather than race.

Most of the hard feeling in the Magnolia Terrace debacle is the perception a deal was made by people who are unaccountable and have theirs --not exactly in the sunshine-- to bring the very element many people fled right into the heart of their refuge. Are they the harbinger of our own Gilbert Manor? Time will tell.

OJP
OJP 02/20/12 - 08:29 pm
Am I the only one who wonders

Am I the only one who wonders how Mr. Reif attacked the poor AND quoted the Bible without the Cognitive Dissonance police throwing him in a deep dark hole?

I suppose its yet ANOTHER time when a Christian feels justified in completely ignoring Jesus when it runs contrary to his own self-interest.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 02/20/12 - 09:28 pm
OJP, please inform us as to

OJP, please inform us as to what Jesus either said or modelled regarding living beyond one's means, relying on the government to get one's needs met, participating in illegal behaviors, the care of children, fatherless families & work ethic.

Our God is truly one of mercy and love, but it doesn't happen separately from truth which encompasses accountability, responsibility, reality, and consequences.

We are called as the Church to feed, clothe, and minister to the poor, but first we must define who is truly poor and secondly, they must be willing to come under the ministry and teaching of the Church. If you will remember, Jesus didn't fish for others, he taught them to fish for themselves.

Furthermore and very specifically, a home in Magnolia Trace is not a need, it's a desire. The Church (God's people) has no obligation to meet desires, nor should they seek to enable poor choices.

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...