Let us choose on smoking

Concerning the proposed smoking ban in bars: How you feel about smoking is not the issue. We all know it is not good for you. What is at issue is our freedoms and liberty. If you are in favor of this ban, you are letting the government decide what is best for you, and you support government interference in your personal lives, your freedom of choice and your personal liberty.

This is just one step. What’s next? Why is it OK for the government to tell private business owners what they can do with a legal product in their bars? If some bar owners make their bars smoke-free, that’s great. It’s their business, not the government’s. So what is wrong with bar owners letting their customers smoke? No one is forcing anyone to go to a bar that allows smoking, and no one is forcing anyone to work there, either.

Your freedom is at stake. Let us choose. Don’t let the government choose for us.

Donnie Summers

Hephzibah

Haki
Haki 02/14/12 - 11:05 pm
If they government can limit

If they government can limit my driving speed for your safety, they should limit your smoking in public settings for my safety. People today are so funny. An infringement only when it adheres to you.

specsta
specsta 02/15/12 - 01:40 am
A ban on smoking around

A ban on smoking around others is not a question of freedom. It's a question of showing enough respect for others that you don't decrease their lifespan due to your own self-destructive addiction.

You are are free to smoke in your own home as much as you want, with no restrictions. How is that limiting a smoker's freedom? I'm quite sure that the good citizens of Eritrea who have suffered under the rule of dictator Isaias Afewerki or the folks in Uzbekistan that are tortured regularly would find a non-smoking law to be the least of their worries concerning freedom. A little perspective might be wise in this case.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 04:40 am
I understand where the letter

I understand where the letter writer is coming from. The government has no business telling a business owner his establishment must be smoke free.
On the other hand second hand smoke is bad for you and no one should be submitted to it in a public place.
I do believe that business owners should be allowed to make that judgement. You see if the government can get away with a smoking ban (Which it already has in many states) then what will they go after next?
I find it ironic that the government cares about our lungs but doesn't give a flip about our livers!

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 02/15/12 - 06:14 am
They are already trying to go

They are already trying to go to the next step. The commission is debating banning smoking in your car if your children are present. I have been smoke free for 20 years and now find it offensive, but I think it is a personal issue and no one should be telling me I can or can't.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 06:23 am
Your freedom is at stake. Let

That is the truth......freedoms are at stake......

We have common sense....I'm not a smoker but I realize i have some bad habits that others might want to curb.....like taking a drink now/then......hanging with the wild crowd on here at times...HEH....driving with the radio too loud.....etc.

Will the day come that detectors will tell them if there is smoking going on inside a home?? Do you see where this is headed ???

copperhead
copperhead 02/15/12 - 06:23 am
You folks are for legislating

You folks are for legislating RESPECT for others?!?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 06:27 am
I just don't want the

I just don't want the government telling me what I can put in my mouth...DO YOU?

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/15/12 - 06:27 am
Donnie, government has been

Donnie, government has been telling private business owners what they can do for YEARS now. Case in point, MINIMUM WAGE. Government tells private businesses what they must pay their employees. And it affects us all. That's what you should be upset over, not smoking.

copperhead
copperhead 02/15/12 - 06:42 am
BOY,y'all don't want the

BOY,y'all don't want the government ENFORCING laws that already exist BUT want them to enact more laws. Must have been studying cloward-piven very closely.

Rhetor
Rhetor 02/15/12 - 07:34 am
You have every right to

agustinian
agustinian 02/15/12 - 07:35 am
Dear Ms. Summers, Regarding

Dear Ms. Summers,
Regarding "freedom" -- what about my freedom not to breathe your smoke? You're right, it is about freedom -- you just didn't think about people who have the right to breathe air free from another's smoke.

By the way, I do enjoy a good cigar, but I recognize others may not like my smoke in their lungs.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 07:40 am
Agustinian when you mentioned

Agustinian when you mentioned a good cigar all of a sudden I got a craving! I too enjoy a good one. I havent had one in a while but I might have to get one today. It's too early at the moment though.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 07:47 am
I'd rather have a smoker

I'd rather have a smoker beside me on the highway than a drunk driver......are we banning alcohol?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/12 - 08:00 am
That post reminded me of a

That post reminded me of a country song title:

I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/12 - 08:03 am
Good point seenitB4

Good point seenitB4 (7:47am)

"You have every right to poison yourself with smoke in the privacy of your own home. Please don't poison the rest of us."

You have every right not to expose yourself to smoke by choosing an establishment that does not allow smoking, there are plenty out there. Why force your freedom on smokers when they are not forcing you to do the same. You choose to patron a smoking establishment. It should be up to the owner of that establishment if they wish to allow or to ban smoking.

If I choose to go to a neighbor's house and he allows me to smoke, and another neighbor comes over to visit.....does that non-smoking guest have a right to make the owner of the house forbid me from smoking?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 08:07 am
Thank you ICL...:) Funny

Thank you ICL...:)

Funny LLamb....who sings THAT?

jic
jic 02/15/12 - 08:19 am
So if you live upstream from

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 08:19 am
Great post ICL!

Great post ICL!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/15/12 - 08:20 am
Smoking is legal. Bars are

Smoking is legal. Bars are legal. There is a free enterprise market for bars that cater to smokers. I would assume that non-smokers would have enough common sense not to frequent a bar that allows smoking. I can think of nothing more depressing than trying to party in a bar that has nothing but greenie weenies, do-gooders, busy-bodies, and health nuts for patrons. Don't even sound like a fun crowd. Can I get a liquor license for a big smoking tent in my field out here in the country? I'd make a fortune.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/15/12 - 08:25 am
seenit, that really depends

seenit, that really depends on what I've been putting in my mouth.
I might be the kind of person who needs all the help I can get.

As an example, I don't need a law to tell me not to rob and kill; but some do. Society has shown they have no ability to control themselves regarding the smoking issue; so perhaps, they do need a little help.

Bizkit
Bizkit 02/15/12 - 08:31 am
We slipped down this slippery

We slipped down this slippery slope of losing freedoms by discriiminating for others freedom. We try to fight discrimination with discrimination-idiocy!. People are affronted by certain religions and have no tolerance so they just don't want to see it. Supposed environmentalist oppose hunters yet it is hunters and fishermen who really support the management and proliferation of game species. We need to recognize that all Americans have freedoms and we have to have tolerance for those beliefs we most oppose-because the same holds true for you. If some religion doesn't believe in providing birth control then reproductive freedom doesn't trump this religious tenet. People choose to hunt, smoke, adhere to a religion, own a gun, etc. The shining city on the hill seems to be running out of power. The constitution protects religious freedom and right to arms, yet some people feel "their" ideology trumps this and want to suppress it. Beware eventually it will backfire on your freedoms. Since nicotine aids memory loss in dementia and Alzheimer's then the patch and smoking maybe of greater benefit than any risk of cancer or cardiovascular disease. It has been known for years schizophrenics self medicate by smoking and drinking. I'd rather die of cancer or heart disease than lose my mind.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 08:27 am
I was surprised when the VFW

I was surprised when the VFW I joined and went to a few times voted on the smoking issue. They voted to stop smoking in the club. Before when I would go there it seemed like everyone at the bar, but me was smoking.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 02/15/12 - 08:32 am
Some anti-smoking advocates

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 08:39 am
Believe me I know the dangers

Believe me I know the dangers of smoking....I have a love one walking around with an oxygen tank....I lost my very best friend to lung cancer.....sooo I know the dangers ...BUT...enough regulation in my personal life....I can think of MANY habits that can kill me.....too many to list here.

allhans
allhans 02/15/12 - 08:46 am
So much posted here is about

So much posted here is about "me. me. me". Has anyone else noticed?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/15/12 - 08:50 am
People who are unaffected by

People who are unaffected by the smoke, really don't have the ability to understand the problems it creates for others, imho. It isn't just merely a preference, but a health problem. Many of us struggle to breathe in a smoking or smokey environment. If I knew, something, I had the power to control or change, brought illness or significant discomfort to others; I would willingly make adjustments.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/12 - 08:52 am
"So if you live upstream from

"So if you live upstream from me and pollute the water I drink I should just stop drinking the water or move, right? We have laws to serve the "public good." That's not communism or socialism. It's being a citizen. A privately owned bar that serves the public is subject to public laws. I have as much right to a public establishment as you do with the reasonable expectation that I or my kids won't be harmed by your actions."

Jic, polluting drinking water is a whole different issue (IMO). Water that flows in a stream is not contained and it’s pollutant exposure is unavoidable to the public. With a bar, the smoke therein is contained inside the establishment and is avoidable to those who choose not to be exposed to it by simply not entering into the establishment. That is YOUR right and who would expose their "Kid" to a bar? Last I heard, young kids were not allowed in bars.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/12 - 09:03 am
"Some anti-smoking advocates

"Some anti-smoking advocates say smoke-filled clubs put employees at risk of lung disease. I wonder if any of these employees who later suffer from lung disease will sue the club owners for damages. A few successful lawsuits might move these owners to make their establishments smoke-free."

"Many of us struggle to breathe in a smoking or smokey environment. If I knew, something, I had the power to control or change, brought illness or significant discomfort to others; I would willingly make adjustments."

I feel for anyone who has issues with cigarette smoke but why would someone who struggles with breathing in a smokey envirnoment even enter an establishment that they know is going to be smokey? There are many establishments that serve food and alcohol that are smoke free. Why does it have to be forced on those establishments that wish to cater to the smoking crowd. You have issues with smoke, don't patron those places. If someone loves to smoke, don't patron places that are smoke free. Why is this such an issue?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/15/12 - 09:06 am
ICL: "That is YOUR right and

ICL: "That is YOUR right and who would expose their "Kid" to a bar? Last I heard, young kids were not allowed in bars."

One of the very few times I agree with ICL; anytime the argument boils down to a last line of defense that it's, "for the children," there is no merit in their argument.

mike1sc
mike1sc 02/15/12 - 09:18 am
So many people miss the point

So many people miss the point of all this. This has nothing to do with taking away a so called freedom. It is instead about education and liability. In the 1950's, doctors were in advertisements for Camels saying all the "smart" doctors smoked them. In the 70's, if you were a patient in a hospital you could smoke. You could also smoke on a jet. All these things didn't go away because of loss of any freedoms. They went away because as time passed, statistics became more and more obvious that smoking was a killer, and not only to the person smoking, but for the folks unlucky enough to be situated around them. And if the statistics showed this, which they did and do, then doctors and hospitals and airline companies realized if they allowed smoking to continue in areas they were responsible for, in the end they were going to have to pay.

Freedom? This has nothing to do with freedom....but instead about living. When the long time tobacco lobbyists which included elected officials in tobacco country all began dying off, the tobacco industry lost its stranglehold on Congress, which resulted in the multi-billion dollar judgement against the tobacco companies....yes, multi-billion.

And this is only the beginning. If you are in your 20's and maybe even early 30's, you will actually see the next step, and that is where tobacco becomes illegal. If you ask any hospital administrator what the dangers of tobacco are, most will point to the majority of their business is from tobacco use.

Not convinced? Here is one for all you pretty young women out there who smoke. There is physical damage done to the body when someone smokes over a period of time. You can pick the smokers out in crowds of people, and I'm not talking about how they smell, but it is how they look. The complexion changes, the facial skin, especially around the nose and lips, loses elasticity. And that nice little smoker's cough or hack which shows up at some point is real appealing.

I was a smoker. Only smoked in my back yard at home. Only smoked in my truck to and from work every day. I didn't want anyone telling me about the ills of smoking. I was a grown man who could make my own decisions concerning myself, right?

I got throat cancer in 2008 and 9 months later after the radiation treatment failed, I had full laryngectomy surgery, which removed my larynx and vocal cords, and I now breathe through a hole in my throat. Smoking did this....period.

So when people talk about a loss of freedoms when the subject of smoking comes up, I go look in the mirror and think.....what?