'And forgive us our debts'

Amid today’s financial crisis, both Republicans and Democrats claim they have the solution to cure our financial ills. Consequently, we can all agree that not one of their ideas has worked thus far or has provided the economic stability that so many desperately desire.

The reason why their ideas have not worked is because their proposed solutions lack pure altruistic motives.

Therefore, we submit to you a concept straight from the Bible that is most likely foreign to many because it beseeches humanity to deny self for the greater good of society. This concept is outlined in Leviticus 25:10-14.

For those who are unfamiliar with Scripture, we will gladly paraphrase it for you: “The 50th year shall be holy … a year of jubilee, liberty … where every man’s possession shall be returned to him.”

In essence, God’s stimulus and economic relief package involves a year of liberty when every person is released from his or her debts at least once in his or her lifetime. Wow, what a concept! What would that do to the economy if everyone was released from mortgages, student loans, credit cards, car loans, medical payments, etc.? What would happen if businesses were released from their debts and the government was released from its debt?

Everyone would have a fresh start with the funds they currently have.

Instituting a year of jubilee would expand our economy in ways beyond comprehension. At least God, the maker and creator of the universe, believed that such a concept would boost the economy. It has been mankind’s greed that has prevented the continuation of this practice. However, if we would relinquish our greed by randomly instituting a year of jubilee every 50 years, perhaps we would have the divine solution that everyone is hoping will restore our financial health.

Bob Hamlin and Shaunda Tucker

North Augusta, S.C.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/08/12 - 11:50 pm
The problem Bob and Shaunda

The problem Bob and Shaunda is that it makes too much sense. Plus the greedy people outnumber the rest of us a million to one. The main problem is that man worships the dollar. He makes love to the dollar. The dollar means more to him than anything else. He will kill for the dollar. He will kick his brother to the curb in order to acquire the dollar. He will lie, cheat, steal and trade his soul in order to secure the dollar. He will deny God is almighty in order to get his hands on the almighty DOLLAR.

specsta
specsta 02/09/12 - 02:24 am
Bob and Shaunda, I agree with

Bob and Shaunda, I agree with you.

It would be even better if a year of jubilee happened every 25 years. A restart button for everyone.

But as "shrimp for breakfast" noted, there is to much greed and money worship for that idea to happen. Heck, I couldn't even get a utility company to credit my account for the 10 cents they owed me for a clerical mistake.

soldout
soldout 02/09/12 - 06:51 am
it would work because

it would work because everything would be geared to it coming and the lenders would plan for it in the last few years of the 50 year cycle. It would be easy to get long term big loans in the early years of the 50 and impossible during the last few years. Once again God knows best.....somebody would think he might be the creator of the universe or something silly like that. Surely He isn't right about avoiding sin and the celebration of it too?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 02/09/12 - 07:42 am
as in all things in scripture

as in all things in scripture versus have to be taken in contex with the rest of scripture..scriptures constantly warns about the love of money and posssessions versus love of GOD. it also warns about debt constantly..debt is a master ...debt is accrued by love of possessions and lack of self controll..to me those who wish for that year of forgivenss are looking at it wrong..the emphisis seems on themselves and not GODS total word.. if we followed GODS recipe for our personnel lives there would be little or no debt...this i believe was set up for catrastrophic events..as a way of forgivessness..its not a open credit binge..

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 02/09/12 - 09:53 am
The Jubilee proposed in this

The Jubilee proposed in this letter doesn't seem workable in a religiously pluralistic nation such as ours. The letter writers want to nullify all debts, but say nothing about starting the Jubilee on Yom Kippur, suspending all farming for at least a year, and praising God for making the fallow ground provide plenty of food.

The Jubilee, which was never observed from what I've read, was established by God before the Israelites ever entered the Promised Land and ran up debts in it. So, debtors and creditors knew beforehand what would be the terms and conditions of loans. God, who is honest and just, was never one to play games with borrowers and lenders by changing the rules in midgame.

Something else: the Jubilee concerned land that was to be divided and assigned according to tribes and clans; thus, there would be no confusion which land permanently belonged to which family. Our nation lacks such a system and therefore has no idea what is meant by the returning of every person's possession.

Please look at the Jubilee passage below and show me where it pertains to anything besides real estate. I see nothing about credit card balances, student loans, car payments, etc. Don't we already have a bankruptcy system to take care of those debts?

>>8 “You shall count seven weeks of years, seven times seven years, so that the time of the seven weeks of years shall give you forty-nine years. 9 Then you shall sound the loud trumpet on the tenth day of the seventh month. On the Day of Atonement you shall sound the trumpet throughout all your land. 10 And you shall consecrate the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you, when each of you shall return to his property and each of you shall return to his clan. 11 That fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you; in it you shall neither sow nor reap what grows of itself nor gather the grapes from the undressed vines. 12 For it is a jubilee. It shall be holy to you. You may eat the produce of the field.

13 “In this year of jubilee each of you shall return to his property. 14 And if you make a sale to your neighbor or buy from your neighbor, you shall not wrong one another. 15 You shall pay your neighbor according to the number of years after the jubilee, and he shall sell to you according to the number of years for crops. 16 If the years are many, you shall increase the price, and if the years are few, you shall reduce the price, for it is the number of the crops that he is selling to you. 17 You shall not wrong one another, but you shall fear your God, for I am the Lord your God.

18 “Therefore you shall do my statutes and keep my rules and perform them, and then you will dwell in the land securely. 19 The land will yield its fruit, and you will eat your fill and dwell in it securely. 20 And if you say, ‘What shall we eat in the seventh year, if we may not sow or gather in our crop?’ 21 I will command my blessing on you in the sixth year, so that it will produce a crop sufficient for three years. 22 When you sow in the eighth year, you will be eating some of the old crop; you shall eat the old until the ninth year, when its crop arrives (Leviticus 25:8-22 English Standard Version).<<

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 02/09/12 - 10:28 am
"Instituting a year of

"Instituting a year of jubilee would expand our economy in ways beyond comprehension. At least God, the maker and creator of the universe, believed that such a concept would boost the economy" (Bob Hamlin & Shaunda Tucker).

Here's the most dangerous part of this letter. It attributes economic prosperity to a principle (the Jubilee) instead of to God. God is the one who made the rain fall in good season and the fields bring forth abundantly. No system or principle can work without his blessing. "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD" (Psalm 33:12).

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/09/12 - 10:58 am
How did this letter get

How did this letter get published? And why are people actually discussing it? Some of you really scare me.

KSL
KSL 02/09/12 - 11:18 am
I'm with you, dichotomy. The

I'm with you, dichotomy. The whole concept is ridiculous.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 02/09/12 - 11:35 am
Uh..........I

Uh..........I mean..............really....................seriously? Rhetorically asked nonetheless - Did The Augusta Chronicle actually print this letter?Well, of course they did - it has a "pro-religious" slant and point of view. WOW !!!!!! Oh my God.....uh, I mean, Oh my Darwin ! Double WOW !!!!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 02/09/12 - 11:43 am
"How did this letter get

"How did this letter get published? And why are people actually discussing it? Some of you really scare me" (dichotomy).

We're in an election year, so we must brace ourselves for some bad theology. This letter smacks of Marxism:

"Therefore, we submit to you a concept straight from the Bible that is most likely foreign to many because it beseeches humanity to deny self FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF SOCIETY. This concept is outlined in Leviticus 25:10-14" (LTE).

This letter came from the left.

twolane
twolane 02/09/12 - 11:54 am
yeah the people that got us

yeah the people that got us into it know exactly how to get us out bahahahaah

twolane
twolane 02/09/12 - 11:56 am
well just like george carlin

well just like george carlin said God is a great wonder can perform miracles but he is just bad with money because he always NEEDS MORE MONEY

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/09/12 - 11:56 am
Whether you agree with the

Whether you agree with the letter writers or not, whether you view it as "pro-religious" or not , this is the opinion page and anyone who wishes to write a letter for the opinion page, has the right to post their opinon. That's what the opinion section is for.

David Parker
David Parker 02/09/12 - 11:57 am
very communal concept

very communal concept outlined. But I don't see where burying the middle class in the majority of debt works either. a boat without a hull cannot be bailed and when the economy tanked, we lost the hull. The answer sadly is that we will die at some point in our lives and our debt will be transferred in some way to someone other than ourselves. This I'm sure of.

allhans
allhans 02/09/12 - 05:58 pm
This letter sounds backwards

This letter sounds backwards to me. If the bank owns your home or car, then they, the actual owners would take possession and free you from the debt, I don't see how else it would work.

garner49
garner49 02/09/12 - 02:43 pm
What a crock of crap letter.

What a crock of crap letter. Misinterpreted the verse too. The Bible says many things, one is that if you work, you eat.

Socialism has and will never work.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/09/12 - 03:16 pm
I'm so relieved to see that

I'm so relieved to see that some posters besides me see the folly of doing what the letter suggested. It would be a catastrophic financial disaster. Do you know how many businesses would collapse if the people that owed them money did not pay their bills? Most of them.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/09/12 - 09:05 pm
Hey, I'm all for it! Let's do

Hey, I'm all for it! Let's do it tomorrow!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/09/12 - 09:06 pm
Dang, I forgot! I just paid

Dang, I forgot! I just paid the last of my monthly bills! Let's do it on the 29th of Feb.!

allhans
allhans 02/09/12 - 09:27 pm
I am on my way out the

I am on my way out the door..gonna use my Visa $22,000 balance NOW!

KSL
KSL 02/09/12 - 09:42 pm
Can you imagine all of the

Can you imagine all of the the debt that would be run up right before the forgiveness?

Durned right I'm greedy. I have money, hard earned money, invested in the stock market, some in bank stock. I've paid taxes on the dividends (twice) and have not seen the gains since the dividends were reinvested. The stupid government forced lenders to lend money to people who should not be buying houses. And I'm supposed to see the banks loose even more money to forgiveness of people's debts. Totally asinine.

SGT49
SGT49 02/10/12 - 12:42 am
Wow, Bob and Shaunda, this

Wow, Bob and Shaunda, this sound like a really good idea. The only thing is, when all this debt forgiveness happens, then poof, there goes all the money in your bank accounts, 401(k)'s and IRA's. You do know where the money that banks lend out comes from, right?

soldout
soldout 02/11/12 - 08:49 am
It is amazing that 99% of the

It is amazing that 99% of the comments show a lack of understanding of how this works. It is amazing how many people think they are smarter than God. How many worlds have any of you created? It works because debt gets reduced near the end of the 50 years. This all happens anyway to some extent ; can we say Greece? In every area where we think we are smarter than God I see death and destruction. Whether it is unborn babies being killed, disease being spread by gay sex, drunk drivers killing people or people addicted to drugs. Please show me an area where going against Gods ways is working out for the good instead of playing into the hands of satan. Your 401K would be fine since your investments would be in companies who were forced to get debt free before the end of the 50 years. To start it now this would need to be year one; not year 49. God is always the answer; no matter what the question.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/12 - 08:52 am
Soldout, I wish God would

Soldout, I wish God would take over my 401K. He has to be better at it than I am. I mean he could just sell right before the tsunami hit or something.

Bruno
Bruno 02/11/12 - 09:04 am
See this is the problem with

See this is the problem with paraphrasing the Bible. The authors got this one wrong. It does not say that every man's possession will be returned to him. It says that every man should return TO their own property.

10 Consecrate the fiftieth year and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you; each of you is to return to your family property and to your own clan. 11 The fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you; do not sow and do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the untended vines. 12 For it is a jubilee and is to be holy for you; eat only what is taken directly from the fields. 13 “‘In this Year of Jubilee everyone is to return to their own property. 14 “‘If you sell land to any of your own people or buy land from them, do not take advantage of each other.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/11/12 - 10:10 am
nofanofobama 6:42 p.m. I

nofanofobama 6:42 p.m. I completely agree. It is the same principle as mercy. Romans 6:1 "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?" Those who were being forgiven of their debt were feeding themselves, not living and spending beyond their means and seeking to deliberately cheat others out of their money. This is yet another left wing angle for promoting socialism in an effort to sway Christian conservatives. We should remember ....The devil used God's words out of context to fool Eve into sinning.