Get picture IDs now

I don’t see what all the flak is about when it comes to showing a picture ID to vote.

The same people who are raising complaints about the issue have no problem showing a picture ID to buy alcoholic beverages or cigarettes, pickup medications, cash a government check or apply for welfare. So what’s the problem showing an ID to vote?

Too much voter fraud goes on in Georgia and South Carolina. Some are registered to vote in both states! No more “dead people” votes. My advice is get over it and get an ID. The people of South Carolina are on to that scam!

Rick Bernardi Sr.

North Augusta. S.C.

specsta
specsta 02/03/12 - 12:14 am
The "flak" is that being

The "flak" is that being forced to produce a picture ID makes it harder to vote. All of the activities you listed (buy alcohol, buy cigarettes, pickup medications, cash a check, apply for welfare) have absolutely nothing to do with exercising a right guaranteed by the Constitution.

Voting should be one of the easiest things we do as citizens. The right to vote in this country was garnered through much bloodshed and civil disobedience, both for minorities and women. Those days can never return to the US. To require a "hoop" to jump through to vote, is a throwback to those days when people were killed for exercising their right to vote.

The amount of actual voter fraud is so miniscule that it is nonsense to use that scenario as justification to produce an ID. Voting should be easy, and must be easy for all.

bjphysics
bjphysics 02/03/12 - 01:31 am
The voter ID issue is a

The voter ID issue is a double red herring.

scoobynews
scoobynews 02/03/12 - 05:08 am
You need a license to drive,

You need a license to drive, college IDs if your enrolled, ID for using your debit or credit card, ID to buy certain products, and so many other things. I don't have any problem taking out my ID so why should anyone else. I don't feel my rights are being voilated nor do I feel intimidation or fear that the "good ol" days that were not so good will return. Get over the fear people and pull out your dang card. Takes only a few seconds so what do you have to hide? Maybe the fact that you are committing fraud.

copperhead
copperhead 02/03/12 - 05:38 am
specsta,where do you find the

specsta,where do you find the actual numbers on voter fraud? Do you consider voter fraud a crime? If so,are you endorsing "just a little crime"? Kinda like the murder rate is so miniscule that we need no enforce the law? What other laws do you propose we just ignore?

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/03/12 - 06:22 am
How can asking for a photo ID

How can asking for a photo ID make it harder to vote? You just take it out of your wallet or purse and show it just like you do at a bank when you cash a check or at the cashier when you are paying for you groceries, alcoholic beverages or cigarettes. What is so hard about that? Personally, my opinion is, if showing an ID is too difficult a task for someone to handle, to be responsible and exercise one of your most valuable rights, then either you are trying to hide something or just maybe it's a lack of common sense. Either senario is not good.

copperhead
copperhead 02/03/12 - 06:58 am
specsta, when you say "voting

specsta, when you say "voting should be easy for all",are you including non-citizens in the "all" part?

stillamazed
stillamazed 02/03/12 - 07:45 am
Thank you InChristLove!

Thank you InChristLove! Everyone who votes needs an ID card, period.....it isn't that hard to get an ID card or to present it when you vote. People complain about the cost but I bet the very ones who complain about a 10 or 12 dollar ID card most likely throws that much away on frivolous things all the time. As a legal US citizen I want to know that everyone who is voting is a US citizen and that they are voting legally and in the area where they live. What American would not want that????? I believe that the people who are fighting the issue are fighting it because they have something to hide.

OJP
OJP 02/03/12 - 08:05 am
@specsta: Couldn't have said

@specsta:

Couldn't have said it better myself. The "threat" of voter fraud does not justify undue burdens on the exercise of a fundamental constitutional right.

allhans
allhans 02/03/12 - 08:42 am
If you can operate a voting

If you can operate a voting machine then you sure the heck can pull out an ID card.
I am surprised that the complaint is they have to fill out a slip of paper. After all, not everyone knows how to write or knows English. Shee!

Bruno
Bruno 02/03/12 - 09:06 am
There simply is no "undue"

There simply is no "undue" burden, OJP.

kmb413
kmb413 02/03/12 - 09:37 am
Possilbe that standing in

Possilbe that standing in line to get your ID is an undue burden, or is showing your birth certificate to get the ID the undue burden?

raul
raul 02/03/12 - 09:43 am
@specstra. If it were up to

@specstra. If it were up to me, every voter would have to pass the same citizenship test that is required for immigrants to become a U.S. citizen. How many do you think could pass that test? IMO voters should at least possess that requisite knowledge. Of course this would be just another "hoop" they would have to jump through, right?

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/03/12 - 10:15 am
In a nation with 12 million,

In a nation with 12 million, give or take, illegal aliens, showing an ID at the polls becomes a necessity. There is no "undue burden" since everyone has some form of ID. You cannot function in this society without ID. It is ridiculous to argue that having to show ID is, in any way, burdensome or discriminatory.

Even if it wasn't for the illegal alien issue we should still require ID. The "rest of us" are entitled to know that our elections are not being skewed by voter fraud. That is as much OUR right as the right to vote.

I do believe that all of the Constitutional Amendments that address voting begin with the words "The right of citizens of the United States".
I would think that implies that before you vote you can be required to prove that you are in fact a citizen of the United States. The Constitution does not say "anybody that shows up can vote.....several times......under different names.....at different polling places". It says "citizens of the United States". Every citizen is entitled to know that everyone who voted met the requirements of the Constitution.

Everyone is encouraged to vote.......ONCE......if they are "citizens of the United States". The Constitution protects our right to vote......if we can show that we meet ONE qualification. It does not say that "everyone who shows up can vote". All "citizens of the United States" should cheerfully and proudly pull out that ID that we use to cash our checks, open bank accounts, get a cell phone, rent an apartment, buy a car, apply for SS and Medicaid, check in at the probation office, and almost everything else we do. Oh wait....I forgot....the probation office already has your picture ID. I think I am pretty safe in calling anyone who says they do not have any form of ID, or cannot easily get an ID, a liar. Just ask for a copy of your probation or parole record.

carcraft
carcraft 02/03/12 - 10:16 am
BJ Physics says it is a red

BJ Physics says it is a red herring what about this http://www.peopleunlikeus.com/?p=33909&share=email

GuesS_wHU
GuesS_wHU 02/03/12 - 10:26 am
This can only add a level of

This can only add a level of confidence in who is actually placing votes and will serve to lower the voter fraud numbers.

OJP
OJP 02/03/12 - 10:46 am
@Bruno: The burden is undue,

@Bruno: The burden is undue, almost by definition, if it is put in place to combat a nearly non-existent problem.

This is the right to vote we're talking about here (the foundation of small "d" democracy) - not driving, or buying booze or smokes.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/03/12 - 11:05 am
OJP, voting is a right for

OJP, voting is a right for every American Citizen but where is it written that just because it is a right that some responsiblity does not go along with that right? Every natural-born citizen has a right to run for the seat of the President but I'm sure every president has to produce some form of ID.... why should it be any different for the right to vote for one?

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 02/03/12 - 11:47 am
No where in the Constitution

No where in the Constitution is it written that we have a right to vote in a Presidential election. We vote by state to elect "electors" who THEN vote in the Electoral College to elect the President...

raul
raul 02/03/12 - 11:53 am
@Conservative Man. You must

@Conservative Man. You must listen to Neil Boortz. Did you hear him stump Wolf Blitzer with that question a few days ago?

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 02/03/12 - 12:08 pm
Did not hear that, but

Did not hear that, but anytime anyone can "stump" Wolf..I smile...

carcraft
carcraft 02/03/12 - 12:34 pm
InChristLove- You are right,

InChristLove- You are right, we can not have freedom with out responsibility and sensible restrictions on our freedom. I may have freedom of speach but I have a responsiblity to not yell fire in a crowed theater. I may have a right and freedom to fornicate with a willing partner but then I have the responsibility to provide for and help raise any children. I HAVE THE FREEDOM AND RIGHT TO VOTE BUT I ALSO HAVE THE REPONSIBILTY TO UNDERSTAND OUR GOVERNMENT AND ECONOMIC SYSTEM SO I AM NOT VOTING TO GET SOME OF OBAMA'S STASH!

allhans
allhans 02/03/12 - 12:55 pm
It is rather embarrassing to

It is rather embarrassing to think that there are adults in this country with no ID. Doesn't say much for the ingenuity of us as a country.
And yet, they want to cast a ballot?

It could be worse..you could live in a European country

"Existing legal obligation to carry:
Most EU countries require everyone, including British citizens, to carry a travel document at all times. For citizens of European Economic Area countries, in practice this means a national identity card, except for British, Irish and Danish citizens, who must carry a bulky passport instead because their governments don't issue ID cards....."

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 01:27 pm
KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 01:28 pm
Also for OJP.

Also for OJP.

OJP
OJP 02/03/12 - 01:54 pm
@KSL: There's no explicit

@KSL:

There's no explicit right to freedom of speech or assembly, either. The 1st Amendment assumes their existence (just as the 15th, 19th, 24th, and 26th Amendments assume the existence of the right to vote).

For KSL's edification: the definition of "implicit" and case law.

P.S. Arguing that there is no right to vote in the greatest republic the world has ever seen is asinine.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/03/12 - 01:53 pm
I agree that everyone should

I agree that everyone should have a government issued ID to vote.I have to show mine when I vote.Iread about an old lady in Sc who can't register to vote, because she has no birth certificate. She was born with the help of a midwife, and for some reason she could not get a birth certificate.she has no drivers license either.I don't know how situations like that should be handled.

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 01:57 pm
She must not have a Social

She must not have a Social Security card either.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/03/12 - 01:58 pm
What certain people?

What certain people?

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 03:22 pm
Getting a birth certificate

Getting a birth certificate is not that difficult if you know how to go about it. My parents did not receive a birth certificate for me when I was born in NYC. I don't know exactly why. But when I was 12 years old, I received an abstract of birth certificate, based on my baby book contents and my father's sworn testimony issued by the State of Georgia.

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 03:24 pm
And I wasn't even born in

And I wasn't even born in Georgia. Hmmmmmm!

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.