Anger wasn't overdone

The “Overdone anger” editorial Jan. 20 seems to preach that confrontation is something that refined folks just don’t do, unless it is done in very civil, passive and yielding terms.

Being confrontational doesn’t translate into anger, as is suggested. Confrontation is not a dirty word. Sometimes it’s the best kind of journalism as long you don’t confront people just for the sake of a confrontation.

I do think CNN Chief National Correspondent John King confronted Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich on the topic of his ex-wife specifically to heat up the situation and boost the ratings. That he chose to do it as the initial question is even more of an indictment.

Bam! Gingrich responds – but unlike the editorial writer, he recognizes that the relationship between press and politician is designed to be happily adversarial. In rapid fire, Gingrich cuts off all lines of retreat for King – it’s old news from 1999 that is personally painful; his daughters called ABC to provide perspective; and his friends could have provided information about the relationship at the time.

And when the broken King mumbles that ABC first broke the story, Gingrich in a resplendent tour de force nails the coffin with, “John, it was repeated on your network; you chose to start the debate with it. Don’t try to blame somebody else.”

The editorial states a milquetoast preference by stating, “A little less indignation and a little more contrition might have helped his former wife’s charges blow over.” Sounds like the tone our present president may be using. I don’t think that’s what Gingrich has as a model for a strong president who is taking the lead and being responsible.

Ralph Angelo

Augusta

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/30/12 - 07:31 am
Funny how in 04, John Kerry

Funny how in 04, John Kerry being a divorced Catholic, on his second marriage was never brought up. Nor was the fact that his wife is worth BILLIONS! Dennis Kucinich, the Dem congressman from Cleveland who ran in 08, is on this THIRD marriage. Anybody remember the press bringing these subjects up for discussion? I sure don't. The Kennedy's are mulit-millionaires, and Jay Rockefeller (D-West Virginia) is from the BILLIONAIRE Rockefeller family. Even Obama has made MILLIONS from his books That's okay because they're Dems, eh? Wake up voters, THEY ARE NO BETTER!

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 08:34 am
Newt used the daughters from

Newt used the daughters from his first wife to convince people his second wife was lying about his third wife. And Newt flat out lied about how "his friends could have provided information about the relationship at the time."

So, confrontation isn't a big deal, but seeing how slimy Newt is- I struggle to see how the writer can defend him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/12 - 08:39 am
tparty....They all can get

tparty....They all can get slimy at times..

Bruno
Bruno 01/30/12 - 08:41 am
Your assertion that Newt

Your assertion that Newt "used" the daughter from his first wife rings false in the light of the fact that they are adults who simply put forth their own opinion of the issue voluntarily. Also, if allegations of rape, sexual abuse and sex with an intern in the Oval Office, and wasn't supposed to matter why would anything that Newt allegedly did while a private citizen matter now? Oh, that's right. It is ok if your chosen candidate does it but it isn't ok if it is an allegation against the other side.

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 08:47 am
Those adults you refer to are

Those adults you refer to are his children- again, children from his first wife to convince people his second wife was lying about his third wife. And that's the only people trying to put forth their own opinion, because Newt lied about having others give their perspective, especially one that is favorable to him. Besides- do you really think Newt informed his daughters about his desire to have an open marriage with his second wife? Not sure where the rape and sexual abuse comes from- but if you're referring to Clinton- it is wrong what he did. Who was it that went after him for those actions, while having an affair with an intern at the same time?

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/30/12 - 09:29 am
All this back and forth about

All this back and forth about Gingrich is great theater, and great news for the left. The longer Newt gets any support in the primaries, the more ammo he will provide for Obama's reelection team. Can't you just see
it now, the Dem ads quoting Gingrich on Romney?--"pro abortion, pro gun control, pro tax increase!"--over and over. Ought to be fun. Gingrich will no doubt flame out tomorrow in Florida, and even though he may try to keep going, his campaign will essentially be over. History will record that social and Christian conservatives in 2012 finally ended up with one candidate to coalesce around, but unfortunately for them, that candidate was a blustering, self-promoting, overweight, nearly 70 former serial philanderer whose transparently opportunistic efforts to channel and stoke Tea Party anger are mostly pathetic. It's been great, Newt!
I expect President Obama will sent you a personal "thank you" card next January.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 01/30/12 - 09:39 am
If you call yourself a

If you call yourself a Christian and you support and defend Newt Gingrich, then the rest of us have two strong indicators that you'll believe absolutely anything. You might want to Google the theory of the "authoritarian follower."

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/30/12 - 10:13 am
EEL, in 08, Obama's opponent,

EEL, in 08, Obama's opponent, now his VP, foot in mouth Biden, said that Obama wasn't qualified to be president. Didn't seem to hurt him. This is the process. And the Republicans WON'T lie down and let Obama win the way McCain did last time. On top of that, polls show Obama couldn't get elected dog catcher. Nope, more "change" coming.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/30/12 - 10:29 am
EEL, I agree with your 8:29.

EEL, I agree with your 8:29. This is the rough and tumble of primaries; but I think both Romney and Gingrich are making a huge mistake in attacking each other instead of promoting themselves in contrast to Obama. People's memories are short, but not THAT short. These primaries need to be over.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 10:57 am
Excellent letter. How many

Excellent letter.
How many times does anyone, even a Christian have to say, "I'm sorry for my behavior", before they are allowed to be forgiven and move on?

Newt has been contrite; he has admitted his wrongs; and he has apologized numerously. The ex-wife has had years to voice her feelings and yet she selectively chooses to do so on the eve of a major political event. How completely vindictive, manipulative and classless of her.

I've got a few more words for you: FDR, Dwight Eisenhower, JFK, & Bill Clinton. And IF we get 4 more years of Obama, we are likely to see his name added to the list as well, provided there is any media with the guts to break the story.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/30/12 - 10:57 am
What has been especially

What has been especially interesting is that ACES, no doubt at the behest of the corporate conglomerate Morris Media, are backing the so-called establishment candidate Romney. This must be particularly galling to
the many Tea Party types who regularly post in this forum (and who are conspicuously silent this morning). They've assumed they had an ally in the ACES, and for most of the past two years, ACES has promoted Tea Party interests. Those interests are now represented by Newt Gingrich, and that is too much even for ACES, so they've bailed.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/30/12 - 11:05 am
Willow Bailey: "before they

Willow Bailey: "before they are allowed to be forgiven..." How very convenient! Talk about manipulation. Newt has a past that highlights personal behavior that Christians call sinful, but hey, that's OK because he has "seen the light" and asked for forgiveness. And folks like you are falling all over themselves to give Newt a pass! Pretty slick of ol' Newt.
Newt is living with Callista, after all; he still enjoys the fruit of his sins.
Pretty easy to "seek forgiveness" when you haven't given up anything!
And as for his change of character, the man is nearly 70! He's got a wife 28 years younger and probably doesn't have the time or energy to chase women like he used to....

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:13 am
You just have to love that

You just have to love that random righteousness!

Okay, EEL, where did you stand on old Bill Clinton? Were you jumping up and down waving your American flag and Bible demanding his impeachment? I highly doubt it.

As far as I can determine, God has not qualified forgiveness. He hasn't said, forgive them if they do this or do that or pay this sacrificie. Nope, forgiveness is free. Aren't you glad of that, because even you, can have it.

As to you referring to "people like me"; I have a very good idea that as long as I think and say what you WANT ME TO, I would be very accepted by you.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:28 am
EEL, If you want to engage in

EEL,

If you want to engage in comparative behaviors: I'll take a man who has made mistakes in multiple marriages ONE MILLION times over one who attends a church with a mentor/pastor/friend who stands in the pulpit and shouts, "GD, America"!

The Demos and their mediadogs can't maintain the same standards they seek to require from others. The only purpose they have in bringing it up is to DETRACT VOTERS FROM WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO DESTROY AMERICA.

Get real, being a Christian doesn't mean we are stupid and can't see their motivations.

If you think you can intimidate me, you have greatly misjudged me.

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 11:22 am
Did you know Willow Bailey

Did you know Willow Bailey that Newt has changed religions as many times as he has wives?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/30/12 - 11:22 am
I disagree with EEL's claim

I disagree with EEL's claim that Newt is doctrinaire Tea Party. To me, Newt is a Republican who has become more and more enamored with Big Government in the last fifteen years. The Tea Party wants smaller government.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/30/12 - 11:29 am
EEL, most of the people that

EEL, most of the people that are not on here at this time of day are WORKING. Many of the people that want Obama out of office are working or actively looking for work. They are not as likely to be online during working hours responding to newspaper articles.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:36 am
TParty, first, at least he

TParty, first, at least he has "some sense of religion" and his need for it.
So, I have no problem with him exploring. The bases of every religion that he has shown interest in is still God of the Bible, the creator, the savior.

It isn't our choice of theology that will count for anything. Religion is man-made. It's our choice of a savior and our relationship with him that is imperative.

I can't judge Newt's heart. And I don't know if I am voting for him or not at this point. But, what I do know is that I am sickened by those who are too cowardly to admit their own sins and want to nail him to a cross. Does the story sound familiar to you?

Who is your God? I like to know who I am conversing with.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:42 am
Did you know that everytime a

Did you know that everytime a man "knocks on the door of a brothel" (goes to a woman who is not his wife for sexual fulfillment) who he is truly looking for is God, not the woman? He just doesn't know it.

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 11:44 am
Religion is man-made. So I

Religion is man-made. So I have no god.

Also- I'm just trying to illustrate that Newt has no principles and will say anything it takes to put him in power. He recently called Mitt a “liar” who “misled the entire country” among other things- but then said he would still vote for him. He has tried to make Mitt look a lot like Obama, with the health care, pro-choice, pro gun control insults- but Newt would still vote for him?

I guess so long as a person says "I wronged god and I'm sorry, and I admit my sins" every thing is okay. Just like EEL already stated- what has Newt given up or sacrificed to show he is truly sorry? Nothing is the answer.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/30/12 - 11:44 am
LL: Let me clarify. I said

LL: Let me clarify. I said TP interests are now represented by Gingrich. I do not mean to suggest he represents them honestly and unhypocritically.
In fact I assume he has taken up TP interests out of cold political calculation.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/30/12 - 11:52 am
Willow Bailey: Still waiting

Willow Bailey: Still waiting for you to explain why we are to believe Newt on the subject of his so-called redemption when he continues to live with Callista, the woman he cheated with on his second wife, the woman he had cheated with on his first wife. Doesn't your Christianity say anything about walking away from the fruit of your sin? Isn't a redeemed drug addict supposed to give up drugs? A redeemed gambler supposed to give up gambling? What about a "redeemed" adulterer? Seems to me like Newt has it both ways!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/30/12 - 11:57 am
TParty: Good points. To me,

TParty: Good points. To me, Newt's very public "redemption" reeks of opportunism. He has calculated that the pose of repentant sinner is good politics, and with many Christian conservatives, his ploy seems to be working. I don;t know whom I have less respect for, Newt for his obvious hypocrisy, or all those gullible right-wing Christians.

donna658
donna658 01/30/12 - 12:14 pm
Gingrich obviously expected

Gingrich obviously expected the question at the debate, that response was obviously well rehearsed. Perhaps it should not have been the first question, but, it was a valid question. I find Gingrich so slimy I would really hesitate to ever vote for him. His negative attacks in this election are generally either outright lies or massive distortions of the real facts. Romney's responses are much more factual. Gingrich seems to be desperate right now and reminds me Howard Dean's "scream" more than anything else. I personally don't care about the religion of the candidates but it seems to me that Romney has led an exemplary life and Gingrich has engaged in multiples episodes of moral lapses. Religion does not matter to me, character does. As far as forgiveness, that is left to God and the people that you offend, I am not perfect and I do judge a person by the manner in which they conduct themselves.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 12:14 pm
EEL, I don't have personal

EEL, I don't have personal knowledge of Newt's divorce. I do know that God has given adultery as a provision for divorce. As to his marriage with Calista, I also know of nothing bibical that requires them to divorce.
You don't have to worry about Newt and Calista, if God is unhappy with them, he will bring judgment on his terms. We don't have to.

Any divorces in your background? How about out of wedlock sexual relations? How about looking at another with sexual thoughts?
Judge Newt, but use the same standards to judge yourself.

And no one is telling you to forgive Newt. That's your choice. Your party could care less about Newt's walk with Christ or his relationship with the ex wife, the new wife, his heart or his sacrifices.

Setting his personal life aside, would you vote for him?
No, you wouldn't. You are using it to justify your own agenda. So, call it what it is!

How can we believe Obama when he said he would be a transparent president, yet he has been the most secretive man who has ever held office in America?

Your standards are one sided, friend.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 12:20 pm
@EEL, "I don't know whom I

@EEL, "I don't know whom I have less respect for, Newt for his obvious hypocrisy, or all those gullible right-wing Christians."

I would say that I have no respect for them, except for the fact that they are still made in the image of Christ, so therefore deserving to be regarded as valuable.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 12:28 pm
TParty, regrettable as it is,

TParty, regrettable as it is, it's politics and they both want to be president. Look at how Hillary and Barack behaved, shamelessly and then kissed and made up and Hillary got to be Secretary of State. That's the system. You and EEL are trying to idealize it is, albeit one way and by separate and double standards.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/30/12 - 12:45 pm
"The decision isn't hard for

"The decision isn't hard for me at all, I have less respect for people who desire to measure a person's value by a different and much higher standard than they apply to themselves and their cohorts."

AMEN sista!!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/30/12 - 12:47 pm
Willow Bailey: Of course all

Willow Bailey: Of course all this is totally irrelevant, since very shortly Newt Gingrich will start his descent into becoming a forgettable footnote i American history. He will have company. All about the $$$ Sarah, The Hermanator, Slick Texas Rick, and Sanctimonious Santorum will join him as pathetically unqualified and undeserving Republican presidential aspirants for the 2012 election that saw Barack Hussein Obama elected for a second term.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 01:06 pm
And at last EEL, your true

And at last EEL, your true motivation is revealed. You worship at the altar of Barack Hussein Obama. Therefore you aren't interested in truth, just that which serves you to demonizes the adversary.

And here we thought you had concern about Newt and Calista's salvation.
I'll say again, you have just got to love that random righteousness.