Anger wasn't overdone

The “Overdone anger” editorial Jan. 20 seems to preach that confrontation is something that refined folks just don’t do, unless it is done in very civil, passive and yielding terms.

Being confrontational doesn’t translate into anger, as is suggested. Confrontation is not a dirty word. Sometimes it’s the best kind of journalism as long you don’t confront people just for the sake of a confrontation.

I do think CNN Chief National Correspondent John King confronted Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich on the topic of his ex-wife specifically to heat up the situation and boost the ratings. That he chose to do it as the initial question is even more of an indictment.

Bam! Gingrich responds – but unlike the editorial writer, he recognizes that the relationship between press and politician is designed to be happily adversarial. In rapid fire, Gingrich cuts off all lines of retreat for King – it’s old news from 1999 that is personally painful; his daughters called ABC to provide perspective; and his friends could have provided information about the relationship at the time.

And when the broken King mumbles that ABC first broke the story, Gingrich in a resplendent tour de force nails the coffin with, “John, it was repeated on your network; you chose to start the debate with it. Don’t try to blame somebody else.”

The editorial states a milquetoast preference by stating, “A little less indignation and a little more contrition might have helped his former wife’s charges blow over.” Sounds like the tone our present president may be using. I don’t think that’s what Gingrich has as a model for a strong president who is taking the lead and being responsible.

Ralph Angelo

Augusta

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/30/12 - 07:31 am
Funny how in 04, John Kerry

Funny how in 04, John Kerry being a divorced Catholic, on his second marriage was never brought up. Nor was the fact that his wife is worth BILLIONS! Dennis Kucinich, the Dem congressman from Cleveland who ran in 08, is on this THIRD marriage. Anybody remember the press bringing these subjects up for discussion? I sure don't. The Kennedy's are mulit-millionaires, and Jay Rockefeller (D-West Virginia) is from the BILLIONAIRE Rockefeller family. Even Obama has made MILLIONS from his books That's okay because they're Dems, eh? Wake up voters, THEY ARE NO BETTER!

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 08:34 am
Newt used the daughters from

Newt used the daughters from his first wife to convince people his second wife was lying about his third wife. And Newt flat out lied about how "his friends could have provided information about the relationship at the time."

So, confrontation isn't a big deal, but seeing how slimy Newt is- I struggle to see how the writer can defend him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/12 - 08:39 am
tparty....They all can get

tparty....They all can get slimy at times..

Bruno
Bruno 01/30/12 - 08:41 am
Your assertion that Newt

Your assertion that Newt "used" the daughter from his first wife rings false in the light of the fact that they are adults who simply put forth their own opinion of the issue voluntarily. Also, if allegations of rape, sexual abuse and sex with an intern in the Oval Office, and wasn't supposed to matter why would anything that Newt allegedly did while a private citizen matter now? Oh, that's right. It is ok if your chosen candidate does it but it isn't ok if it is an allegation against the other side.

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 08:47 am
Those adults you refer to are

Those adults you refer to are his children- again, children from his first wife to convince people his second wife was lying about his third wife. And that's the only people trying to put forth their own opinion, because Newt lied about having others give their perspective, especially one that is favorable to him. Besides- do you really think Newt informed his daughters about his desire to have an open marriage with his second wife? Not sure where the rape and sexual abuse comes from- but if you're referring to Clinton- it is wrong what he did. Who was it that went after him for those actions, while having an affair with an intern at the same time?

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 01/30/12 - 09:39 am
If you call yourself a

If you call yourself a Christian and you support and defend Newt Gingrich, then the rest of us have two strong indicators that you'll believe absolutely anything. You might want to Google the theory of the "authoritarian follower."

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/30/12 - 10:13 am
EEL, in 08, Obama's opponent,

EEL, in 08, Obama's opponent, now his VP, foot in mouth Biden, said that Obama wasn't qualified to be president. Didn't seem to hurt him. This is the process. And the Republicans WON'T lie down and let Obama win the way McCain did last time. On top of that, polls show Obama couldn't get elected dog catcher. Nope, more "change" coming.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/30/12 - 10:29 am
EEL, I agree with your 8:29.

EEL, I agree with your 8:29. This is the rough and tumble of primaries; but I think both Romney and Gingrich are making a huge mistake in attacking each other instead of promoting themselves in contrast to Obama. People's memories are short, but not THAT short. These primaries need to be over.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 10:57 am
Excellent letter. How many

Excellent letter.
How many times does anyone, even a Christian have to say, "I'm sorry for my behavior", before they are allowed to be forgiven and move on?

Newt has been contrite; he has admitted his wrongs; and he has apologized numerously. The ex-wife has had years to voice her feelings and yet she selectively chooses to do so on the eve of a major political event. How completely vindictive, manipulative and classless of her.

I've got a few more words for you: FDR, Dwight Eisenhower, JFK, & Bill Clinton. And IF we get 4 more years of Obama, we are likely to see his name added to the list as well, provided there is any media with the guts to break the story.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:13 am
You just have to love that

You just have to love that random righteousness!

Okay, EEL, where did you stand on old Bill Clinton? Were you jumping up and down waving your American flag and Bible demanding his impeachment? I highly doubt it.

As far as I can determine, God has not qualified forgiveness. He hasn't said, forgive them if they do this or do that or pay this sacrificie. Nope, forgiveness is free. Aren't you glad of that, because even you, can have it.

As to you referring to "people like me"; I have a very good idea that as long as I think and say what you WANT ME TO, I would be very accepted by you.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:28 am
EEL, If you want to engage in

EEL,

If you want to engage in comparative behaviors: I'll take a man who has made mistakes in multiple marriages ONE MILLION times over one who attends a church with a mentor/pastor/friend who stands in the pulpit and shouts, "GD, America"!

The Demos and their mediadogs can't maintain the same standards they seek to require from others. The only purpose they have in bringing it up is to DETRACT VOTERS FROM WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO DESTROY AMERICA.

Get real, being a Christian doesn't mean we are stupid and can't see their motivations.

If you think you can intimidate me, you have greatly misjudged me.

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 11:22 am
Did you know Willow Bailey

Did you know Willow Bailey that Newt has changed religions as many times as he has wives?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/30/12 - 11:22 am
I disagree with EEL's claim

I disagree with EEL's claim that Newt is doctrinaire Tea Party. To me, Newt is a Republican who has become more and more enamored with Big Government in the last fifteen years. The Tea Party wants smaller government.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/30/12 - 11:29 am
EEL, most of the people that

EEL, most of the people that are not on here at this time of day are WORKING. Many of the people that want Obama out of office are working or actively looking for work. They are not as likely to be online during working hours responding to newspaper articles.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:36 am
TParty, first, at least he

TParty, first, at least he has "some sense of religion" and his need for it.
So, I have no problem with him exploring. The bases of every religion that he has shown interest in is still God of the Bible, the creator, the savior.

It isn't our choice of theology that will count for anything. Religion is man-made. It's our choice of a savior and our relationship with him that is imperative.

I can't judge Newt's heart. And I don't know if I am voting for him or not at this point. But, what I do know is that I am sickened by those who are too cowardly to admit their own sins and want to nail him to a cross. Does the story sound familiar to you?

Who is your God? I like to know who I am conversing with.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 11:42 am
Did you know that everytime a

Did you know that everytime a man "knocks on the door of a brothel" (goes to a woman who is not his wife for sexual fulfillment) who he is truly looking for is God, not the woman? He just doesn't know it.

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 11:44 am
Religion is man-made. So I

Religion is man-made. So I have no god.

Also- I'm just trying to illustrate that Newt has no principles and will say anything it takes to put him in power. He recently called Mitt a “liar” who “misled the entire country” among other things- but then said he would still vote for him. He has tried to make Mitt look a lot like Obama, with the health care, pro-choice, pro gun control insults- but Newt would still vote for him?

I guess so long as a person says "I wronged god and I'm sorry, and I admit my sins" every thing is okay. Just like EEL already stated- what has Newt given up or sacrificed to show he is truly sorry? Nothing is the answer.

donna658
donna658 01/30/12 - 12:14 pm
Gingrich obviously expected

Gingrich obviously expected the question at the debate, that response was obviously well rehearsed. Perhaps it should not have been the first question, but, it was a valid question. I find Gingrich so slimy I would really hesitate to ever vote for him. His negative attacks in this election are generally either outright lies or massive distortions of the real facts. Romney's responses are much more factual. Gingrich seems to be desperate right now and reminds me Howard Dean's "scream" more than anything else. I personally don't care about the religion of the candidates but it seems to me that Romney has led an exemplary life and Gingrich has engaged in multiples episodes of moral lapses. Religion does not matter to me, character does. As far as forgiveness, that is left to God and the people that you offend, I am not perfect and I do judge a person by the manner in which they conduct themselves.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 12:14 pm
EEL, I don't have personal

EEL, I don't have personal knowledge of Newt's divorce. I do know that God has given adultery as a provision for divorce. As to his marriage with Calista, I also know of nothing bibical that requires them to divorce.
You don't have to worry about Newt and Calista, if God is unhappy with them, he will bring judgment on his terms. We don't have to.

Any divorces in your background? How about out of wedlock sexual relations? How about looking at another with sexual thoughts?
Judge Newt, but use the same standards to judge yourself.

And no one is telling you to forgive Newt. That's your choice. Your party could care less about Newt's walk with Christ or his relationship with the ex wife, the new wife, his heart or his sacrifices.

Setting his personal life aside, would you vote for him?
No, you wouldn't. You are using it to justify your own agenda. So, call it what it is!

How can we believe Obama when he said he would be a transparent president, yet he has been the most secretive man who has ever held office in America?

Your standards are one sided, friend.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 12:20 pm
@EEL, "I don't know whom I

@EEL, "I don't know whom I have less respect for, Newt for his obvious hypocrisy, or all those gullible right-wing Christians."

I would say that I have no respect for them, except for the fact that they are still made in the image of Christ, so therefore deserving to be regarded as valuable.

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 12:28 pm
TParty, regrettable as it is,

TParty, regrettable as it is, it's politics and they both want to be president. Look at how Hillary and Barack behaved, shamelessly and then kissed and made up and Hillary got to be Secretary of State. That's the system. You and EEL are trying to idealize it is, albeit one way and by separate and double standards.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/30/12 - 12:45 pm
"The decision isn't hard for

"The decision isn't hard for me at all, I have less respect for people who desire to measure a person's value by a different and much higher standard than they apply to themselves and their cohorts."

AMEN sista!!

Willow Bailey
20624
Willow Bailey 01/30/12 - 01:06 pm
And at last EEL, your true

And at last EEL, your true motivation is revealed. You worship at the altar of Barack Hussein Obama. Therefore you aren't interested in truth, just that which serves you to demonizes the adversary.

And here we thought you had concern about Newt and Calista's salvation.
I'll say again, you have just got to love that random righteousness.

Jane18
Jane18 01/30/12 - 01:21 pm
Willow, with commenters like

Willow, with commenters like TParty and eel, you are banging your head against a brick wall. "...kick the dust off ..................." and "..don't cast your pearls before...........". Remember, there are some that are in a stupor.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/30/12 - 01:25 pm
Given the divorce rate is so

Given the divorce rate is so high (even amongst christians), and after Clinton and numerous sexcapades- do you really believe anyone cares? People are more concerned about jobs, the economy, and freedoms. Barney Franks is finally marrying his dope dealing lover and I don't see that making major headlines-because no one cares!!!!! Keep your eye on the ball because this isn't the follow the bean under the cup routine. Clinton was accused of rape,etc. and still he is considered a great president. So I think the media attempt is lame at best.

Chillen
Chillen 01/30/12 - 01:28 pm
This will be my last post on

This will be my last post on the Chronicle.

After much consideration I have decided that I am spending too much time posting with no impact at all on the socialists, radical liberals, communists and progressives who have infiltrated this fine nation of ours. Their minds are made up and they will stop at nothing to destroy this formerly free and formerly prosperous nation.

It is a fact that these radicals have so infiltrated the government (both elected and unelected), big business, the schools & universities and the media that the train is going to be very, very difficult to stop. Even with a change in Administration this year I do not see much hope to stop it. Political correctness and political suicide will get in their way.

When you provide 25% of the population free income & food, then there is no longer any incentive to work. When you allow almost 50% of a population to pay no income taxes, they no longer have any "skin" in the game so what happens in politics & the govt is of no concern to them.

The federal regulations coming out of Wash DC are staggering. Big brother is taking over rapidly (just read the book 1984 and the more recent book, The Noah Option, for examples of what is HERE and also what is COMING). Our freedoms are slipping little by little, piece by piece. And most of the sheeple are totally oblivious (or more alarmingly - cheering it).

Just today I heard on the news that the Catholic Church has come out on the offense against the obama administrations latest govt "decree". Good for them. I hope you all stand with them and fight the fight even if you are not Catholic.

Our nation can be repaired but it will take a miracle. It will also take a determined citizenry.

I remain committed to the "fight" but I will do so in a different manner. I hope that some of the ideas I have touch your lives in the future. The online posting is a waste of my valuable time. The radicals are co-opting it also - as evidenced by the recent increase in liberals posting on political articles in the Chronicle who are clearly not even from this area.

I have enjoyed getting to "know" all of you and good luck. Where the heck is John Galt? We need a place to go if or when the crap hits the fan.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/30/12 - 01:32 pm
Clinton and Newt worked well

Clinton and Newt worked well together bringing about balanced budgets, etc. So if anything Newt has a proven record working with Dems and since so many Americans (of both parties) are frustrated with the stalemates I think he has a feather in his cap. I would love to watch a debate between the two dueling egomaniacs (Barak and Newt)-I can see both lecturing to the other about history, politics, blah, blah, blah. Did you read the article about a significant fraction of bosses (leaders) are psychopaths (sociopath probably more finite)? Both seem to fall in the category. The only thing that would make it perfect is to add an egomaniac like O'Reily as a mediator. OohYah!!!

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 01:38 pm
I'm not sure why anyone is

I'm not sure why anyone is talking about Newton Leroy Gingrich and his third wife's salvation- we are talking about how Newt is a liar, cheater, and self serving slimy human being who only cares about himself. His only defense to the question about the open marriage was that his close friends could provide a different perspective on the situation, and he tried to get the information out there- but the media refused it all.

Turns out he just lied. Made it up. Fabricated the entire victim scenario. In no way shape or form does that demonstrate that Newton Leroy Gingrich has learned from his cheating ways in the past. His adultery and his ethic violations. The fact he is attacking capitalism as an attempt to discredit Romney shows what this guy will do for power, and his ego.

But, some people are not interested in the truth, or can dismiss it all with the way god works and forgives. I don't believe in the man made religious stuff- but go look and see how many of the ten commandments Newton Leroy Gingrich has broken. Almost half of them are easy enough to fake with only believing in one god. I'll go ahead and front him the 5th and 6th commandments. That leaves the last four- which I don't think he has done so well on. That's 40% failure rate just by the basic Ten Commandments.

Newton Leroy Gingrich is terrible on every level.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/30/12 - 01:41 pm
Christianity is an evolved

Christianity is an evolved meme-no different than language, written word, or science. A third of planet is christian and a third muslim, then over a thousand other religions and few secularist. Get over it! Even man's cousins Homo erectus and neanderthals displayed ritual burial and signs of spirituality. Maybe there is a spiritual gene or biological substrate just like homosexuality.

donna658
donna658 01/30/12 - 01:41 pm
To Chillen: John Galt is all

To Chillen: John Galt is all around us, he lives in you and in me. I hope you can make a difference in our community. Hopefully we can stay right here and pick up the pieces when socialism fails here as it has in Europe. Communism and Socialism do not work, the 1% are enslaved by the 99%.