Real conservatism eroding

Today, if the Devil ran against the Antichrist, modern “conservatives” would vote in the Antichrist as the “lesser of two evils.” The relative definition of what it means to be a conservative has eroded to the point that “good” is no longer the rule or frame of reference, but “evil” is.

Compromise is the fuel to catapult the conservative where old-fashioned liberals had never been. Absolutes are now evil, and old-time conservatives are demons.

Alcohol has become the Kool-Aid of conservatives, even though it was treated as poison by earlier America. Capitalism is now out of the question, as greedy conservatives consider whose pockets to pick. Money, which used to be established as something of intrinsic value, such as gold and silver created by God, now is created and confiscated by the all-powerful, central government.

Old black-and-white movies reveal typical American women far more conservative than the ones sitting in most conservative churches today. The liberals keep moving the standard toward evil, and the conservatives keep accepting the new definitions.

The old-fashioned American conservative had an infallible Bible in one hand and the Constitution in the other. He had one wife and plenty of God-fearing children. He worked for real money by the sweat of his brow. He honored God and respected his fellow man. He fought against all forms of evil and rewarded good – which is the purpose of government.

The modern “conservative without a cause” has rejected the standard, the Bible, and redefined the Constitution. For the past 100 years or so, the pattern has been consistent that the “liberal” of today will be the “conservative” of tomorrow.

Timothy Fellows

Aiken, S.C.

(The writer is pastor of The Church of Philadelphia in Aiken, S.C.)

allhans
allhans 01/27/12 - 11:02 pm
We have to pray, Rev Fellows.

We have to pray, Rev Fellows. There are lots of true American conservatives left. And yes, Christians also.

Have faith.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 01/28/12 - 06:33 am
Well, the GOP sure can't

Well, the GOP sure can't compete with President Obama on the family values front without either excusing Mitt Romney's history of vulture capitalism, Ron Paul's peculiar brand of libertarianism or Rick Santorum's rationalization of rape. You can only accept Newt Gingrich as a conservative if you let him lie to you one more time. So what's a true conservative to do, but to open his mind to those critics of the sitting president who, on the basis of his actual record, call him "Bush lite?"

copperhead
copperhead 01/28/12 - 06:39 am
Jon Lester,is there ANYTHING

Jon Lester,is there ANYTHING about hussein that you disagree with? Just curious.

copperhead
copperhead 01/28/12 - 06:40 am
Jon Lester,is there ANYTHING

carcraft
carcraft 01/28/12 - 06:47 am
Jon Lester, Maybe not, but

Jon Lester, Maybe not, but Republicans can beat Obama based on Obama's incompetance and corruption. As they used to say at the dirt track, you run what you brung

Techfan
Techfan 01/28/12 - 07:24 am
"Alcohol has become the

"Alcohol has become the Kool-Aid of conservatives, even though it was treated as poison by earlier America."????????????
In 1797, Washington's Scottish farm manager James Anderson encouraged him to build a whiskey distillery adjacent to the gristmill. The distillery was the largest in America, producing 11,000 gallons of whiskey in 1799, making it one of the most successful economic enterprises at Mount Vernon. mountvernon.org

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/28/12 - 07:55 am
About the alcohol comment.

About the alcohol comment. You know I've gone long periods in my life without drinking alcohol when I would be on various diets. I recently did a year sans booze. During those times, I've observed folks who drink and don't drink in many types of social environments. I don't think you can trust a person who doesn't drink some. It's like they don't want to let their guard down. Maybe that's why Jesus drank a little.

Ava Gardner once said, ""I never met a man worth a damn who didn't drink too much."

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/28/12 - 08:55 am
I don't even know what

I don't even know what liberal or conservative mean anymore. Historically, Liberal use to mean a belief in the importance of liberty and equal rights, constitutionalism, free and fair elections, small government, human rights, capitalism, and freedom of religion (this synospsis has references in Wikipedia). I guess since liberals aren't really liberal they changed the name to "progressive". Progressives beliefs are now antithetical to every posit of liberalism.

charlesaiken
charlesaiken 01/28/12 - 09:00 am
lester, 'So what's a true

lester, 'So what's a true conservative to do, but to open his mind to those critics of the sitting president who, on the basis of his actual record, call him "Bush lite?"'
I'm not a big fan of Bush but it is an insult to Bush to compare him to the Marxist in the whitehouse.
If Hussein had been vented as he should have been by the press he would never have beaten Hillary.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/28/12 - 09:07 am
It is weird that Obama (in

It is weird that Obama (in his book) admits drug usage, grand theft auto, and talks about all the socialist influences that molded him. He blew off his association with his pastor (although he dedicated his book to Wright) and everyone just accepted it. He definitely was't vetted and scrutinized like others. Kinda of creepy when you think about it. Look at the scrutiny amongst the Repub candidates. Seems hypocritical.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/28/12 - 09:16 am
You have to admit that Obama

You have to admit that Obama is the most arrogant president we've ever had (from his condescending lectures to all the hoopla about his supposed intellect). After reading the "Bell curve" it makes you wonder about that proposition. Did y'all read the article about the study examining prejudice and racism. Studies have long supported that low IQ and education were associated with racism (I guess that indicts the black community too so more "research" was needed). Now the association is with low intellect and education and "CONSERVATISM". Man this plays well in an election year.I can see it now: NYTimes headlines. "LOW IQ IGNORANT RACIST CONSERVATIVES RALLY AGAINST OBAMA". Kinda makes you wonder if the cards aren't stacked.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/28/12 - 09:20 am
Notice the rev doesn't say

Notice the rev doesn't say anything any more either. I am sure he will find a place in the change soon but with a tempered voice.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/28/12 - 09:26 am
I will be glad if the term

I will be glad if the term conservative ever gets to the point where it only means someone who believes in small government, balanced budgets, low taxes, and a strong military. I personally don't care if our nominee dances naked in the moonlight with a female roller derby team as long as they believe in those things. Part of the problem with the Republican party recruiting true political conservatives is that they have to pander to the religious right in order to get the nomination. The religious conservatives keep voting for those candidates who profess to be good Christians, whether they are or not, since the beginning of this country. How has that worked out for you? Take a look at our bloated, intrusive government, our out of control debt, and all of our wasteful socialist programs. How have those good Christians worked out as stewards of our tax dollars and fundamental founding principles of freedom FROM government interference in our lives? Any Christian who votes for somebody who says they will do away with abortion and put a nativity scene in every government office is automatically voting for a liar. Voting for people who pander to your personal beliefs is your right Rev. Fellows but right wing religious conservatives who try to force their beliefs on the rest of us is what keeps the liberals in power......and we all lose. You are correct that things have changed Rev. Fellows. What you fail to realize is that are more "true" political conservatives and liberals that are afraid of you than there are that support you. And by alienating the rest of us, in the long run, you hurt your own cause by forcing the election of liars and panderers.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/28/12 - 09:37 am
Dichotomy, there is a lot of

Dichotomy, there is a lot of merit to that argument. I have been taken more times by christians than any secular business. I often think it seems a license to steal. Not saying there aren't plent of honest christian business people but those who profess it on their cards and trucks-be wary. Apparently it is a lot easier to talk than walk. Words really do come cheap. Look at our president and the disconnect between his words and actions (he is a self professed christian). In my experience real christians prefer to be judged by their actions and not by their words (they don't try to cram it down your throat with threats of burning in hell too). Their witness is their life and how God has changed it. Now that is real change. I guess Obama wasn't talking bout that.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 01/28/12 - 10:10 am
And yet, ANOTHER

And yet, ANOTHER "pro-religious" letter gets printed in The Augusta Chron....uh, excuse me, I mean, The Augusta Bible 2.0. This country is easily, most likely, about 75% conservative (clearly a "majority"), yet, the proselytizing prelate of a pastor is unhappy - most likely because that number isn't 99.9999999999999999999%. The only thought I can come up with is.....whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!! As Michael Shermer states: "Being tolerant when you are in the majority means you have a greater chance of being tolerated when you are in the minority." God and The Bible - the conservative religious are not happy unless they can imbibe that corrosive cocktail 24/7/365.......and by the way, that's a drink I'll never drink.

allhans
allhans 01/28/12 - 10:16 am
I get the message from

I get the message from Democrats. They LIKE and look up to those who fail.
If a person is successful, then they are BAD!
My goodness...How did liberals convince so many that bad is good.

harley_52
harley_52 01/28/12 - 10:31 am
I support Rev. Fellows' side

I support Rev. Fellows' side of this argument that American society loses when God is removed from the political consciousness and our focus becomes purely economic.

I don't support dichotomy's willingness to support a candidate who "dances naked in the moonlight with a female roller derby team" as long as they "believe in balanced budgets, low taxes, and a strong military." It's not that those three issues aren't important in a candidate I support, or not that they aren't at the top of my list, they're just not the only ones on that list.

Personally, I prefer a candidate whose life is guided by the hand of God AND who believes in those things dichotomy mentioned AND MORE. I want a President whose moral and ethical underpinning is founded on Christian values and who understands the importance of religion and family to a healthy American society.

Like it or not, the President is a role model not just to American citizens, but to the rest of the world as well. To many people around the world, the President IS America. I want a President who can be trusted to make the right decisions for the right reasons and to do what he/she says they'd do when they got elected.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/28/12 - 10:58 am
With purely secular reasoning

With purely secular reasoning and examining Christ's words as a philosophy and not a religion, it is hard to find fault with the mans word. What an unbelievable altruist-those who are least are greatest. wash your neighbors feet, love your neighor and even further love your enemies, don't judge others with the 2X4 sticking in your eye, be willing to give everything including your life (that is a tuffy you have to admit yet so many have done so), be slow to anger, forgive everyone, if your blessed with wealth share it with a cheerful heart, be a servant not a king. Being the greatest is being the least, always help the least,love your enemy-I have trouble forgiving so loving is my lament. People of faith continually give more than any group all the studies indicate. I have problems with organized religions myself but I praise the altruism it teaches our population-because we often do act like a bunch of animals. If christian missionaries are willing to go to Africa and muslim countries where they get killed every year for trying to teach love and altruism then more power to them.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/28/12 - 11:13 am
Ooops it did it twice. so i

Ooops it did it twice. so i deleted. Well I change course.
I'll go ahead and say it. The logic is that only conservatives are christian-I think that is a fallacious statement. Given that a large majority of the US claim christianity it would be difficult to argue they are all conservative republicans. So the problem isn't christianity but perhaps the minority fundamentalist christians. Just like the Dems now have their problem that a minority of radical progressives are driving their train. I think the Dems will lament that choice as the GOP the fundamentalist choice. Most americans run center to center right so conservative still trumps progressives.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/28/12 - 11:03 am
True conservatives have, for

True conservatives have, for years, been called closed minded, evil, greedy, racist, bigoted, homophobes (and these are just the ones that can be written in a family paper!) by the left AND the media in particular. These people have looked down their noses at true conseratives for years. Now we are beginning to see the fruits of their efforts. That being that even though every one of those terms describes NO conservative I know, it's the perception.It will take another couple of generations to erase this mis-conception. But only if those of us who ARE true conservatives speak up, speak out and call out those who truly are destroying this country one generation at a time in order to further their "Utopian Socialist Workers Paradise"...And it ain't conservatives...

Bruno
Bruno 01/28/12 - 01:00 pm
"Today, if the Devil ran

"Today, if the Devil ran against the Antichrist, modern “conservatives” would vote in the Antichrist as the “lesser of two evils.”
So, Mr. Fellows, given those choices which one would you vote for?

Jane18
Jane18 01/28/12 - 01:00 pm
I'm sory Pastor Fellows, but

I'm sory Pastor Fellows, but your first statement stopped me. Satan(the serpent, that old dragon, Lucifer, etc.), will be the antiCHRIST. Also, in your fourth paragraph, second sentence, we know from the Bible that our leaders(politicians, judges) would have the minds of children(no common sense) and would make wrong seem right, and right seem wrong. Everything we need to know about what is going on can be found in That Book. I only wish more people would realize this.............................

harley_52
harley_52 01/28/12 - 01:26 pm
Somehow I doubt that sentence

Somehow I doubt that sentence is what Rev. Fellows really meant to communicate.

Bruno
Bruno 01/28/12 - 01:56 pm
Start with a faulty premise

Start with a faulty premise and all that follows is flawed.

specsta
specsta 01/28/12 - 09:03 pm
I think this quote by Rev.

I think this quote by Rev. Guy is an appropriate response to Mr. Fellows letter - "There is no better argument for the separation of church and state than the introduction of fundamentalist Christianity into our politics."

America is not, nor ever has been, a Christian nation. Religious beliefs have no place in creating public policy. The idea of legislating by morality is unconstitutional and just downright harmful.

Religion and politics is a bad mix. America is not a theocracy, but a democratic republic. Our Constitution forbids our representatives from making any law that respects an establishment of religion - and people have the right to worship as freely as they want, whether that form of worship takes an ultra-liberal view or a strict conservative view.

For Mr. Fellows to come to a conclusion that liberals press this country toward evil - is just...wrong. Liberals have fought to feed the poor, overturn racist ideology and protect the rights of women. Liberals have demanded the end of unjust wars and demanded accountability from thieving corporations. Liberals have marched in the streets, shed their blood, and given their lives - all in name of justice and equality for all.

This is evil? Absolutely not.

If you want to define evil, look no further than those with an agenda that embraces wars, rejoices at suffering of the poor, preaches condemnation of those that live a different lifestyle, and is more concerned about a zygote than actual human beings - that's your evil right there.

Turkeys taste own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.