Trust Paul's policies

Syndicated columnist Samuel Francis coined the phrase “Stupid Party” for the current-era Republican Party. Most true conservatives would agree with him.

We have Mitt Romney, who ran as a moderate, pro-choice Republican for U.S. Senate against Ted Kennedy and lost. We have Newt Gingrich, who sat on a sofa with Nancy Pelosi and spouted platitudes about global warming. And we have Ron Paul, a physician and a libertarian conservative who many Republicans want to put in the closet as if he is the crazy uncle in the family.

Of the three men listed, Ron Paul is the only candidate who is saying the same thing today that he said 25 years ago. He is being taken more seriously in this election than in others. Why? Look at the state of our federal government under the leadership of our so-called smart politicians.

The argument I hear from friends against Ron Paul is they fear his foreign policy. My response is that for the past 20 years, we have been closing military bases in America only to build new ones abroad. Ron Paul wants to bring troops home from Europe, Japan and Korea. These countries/regions are economically strong enough to defend their borders and pay for their own defenses, while we are not.

Regarding Israel, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s statements on the House floor in May last year coincide with Ron Paul’s desire to bring American troops home and end foreign aid. Netanyahu said that America doesn’t “need to do nation-building in Israel. We’re already built. You don’t need to export democracy to Israel. We’ve already got it. You don’t need to send American troops to defend Israel. We defend ourselves.”

People will say for political expediency that Ron Paul will ignore Israel in her time of need. People say all kind of things about Ron Paul. I will say this: I do not believe that Ron Paul, as president, will ignore Israel in her time of need.

Carl Mixon

Martinez

Stop The Censorship
Stop The Censorship 01/23/12 - 11:25 pm
Ron Paul may not be a liar,

Ron Paul may not be a liar, but he wants to return this country to an 18th century agrarian republic because he imagines things were better back then. Not only were things NOT better for most Americans in the 18th century, but how do we expect to compete with a growing China that embraces technology and modernism, not to mention the rest of the world, if we go backwards instead of forwards? Ron Paul hasn't thought things through...

He is so caught up with the way America used to be that he completely disregards the changes that have gradually taken place the last 200+ years.

Ron Paul wants to abolish Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Food Stamps, Welfare, public education, the post office, public parks, public streets and HIGHWAYS, the EPA, OSHA, USDA, FDA, etc. He wants the government to ONLY do the military. He wants all else privatized, so it would all cost you more, and deregulation of all industries.. He is against government regulation of any kind. Paul has said more than once he believes the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional. The USA would quickly become a third world country if he had his way.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 01/24/12 - 06:16 am
Fine letter! My sentiments

Fine letter! My sentiments exactly about Ron Paul.

In last night's debate, Dr. Paul noted that Iranians would be hurting their own economy far more than ours if they closed the Strait of Hormuz; so they have have plenty of incentive not to destroy their oil business. We don't need to start another war.

Bringing home our troops would help our economy because the soldiers would be spending their earnings here rather than abroad.

Like the writer, I think Ron Paul would never turn his back on our ally Israel. I also think Israel is far better prepared to wage a nuclear war than Iran is.

Only Ron Paul has proposed cutting our budget by a trillion dollars. That's what's necessary to end our deficit spending and save our currency from further dilution.

wtinney
wtinney 01/24/12 - 06:30 am
First, yes, you are right,

First, yes, you are right, "Of the three men listed, Ron Paul is the only candidate who is saying the same thing today that he said 25 years ago". But, the problem is, most people, not just republicans, did not like what he was saying 25 years ago and equally do not like what he is saying now. Yes, he has his strengths on a number of fiscal points - but that is it. Can't be just a fiscal president when the government involves itself in the social fabric of this country at so many levels. Paul will continue to place three or four as long as he remains in the race. I predict a third place finish for him with roughly 14% of the vote in Florida. At that point, he should know his campaign is done.

Now we come to Florida - one week out. Gingrich already has over come Romney's supposed early lead. Now Gingrich has an 8 point lead on average in most polls in Florida. Although, again, I disagree with this line of thinking, it will be a stronger anti-mormon vote in Florida, mirroring South Carolina, than I previously thought. In my earlier post, I said Florida may be the exception. It is now clear that the large evangelical center of Florida, significant Jewish population, and the Miami-Dade Hispanic Catholics will not vote for Romney squarely because he's a Mormon. Watch it happen again. Romney gets 25% of those claiming to be religious voters which will be 55% of those casting votes in the sunshine state. Prediction: Gingrich 38%, Romney 25%, Paul 14%, and the rest spread around to whoever is allowed to be on the ballot. Now, let's see if I am as close as I was last time - even though Florida is not considered "cultural south" or "cultural midwest", I believe many of the same problems will follow him into that contest - notably, Mormonism which he will not address in such a way that helps make the connection of deeply felt conviction and faith within the very fabric of this country. As long as everybody ignores the problem, it will continue to fester and infect Romney's hopes of winning the primary and instead - an adulterous, TARP loving, Obamacare individual mandate supporting, illegal immigration supporting disaster will win in a year that any of those policy supports should be a campaign killer. There you have it. Watch it happen.

wtinney
wtinney 01/24/12 - 06:47 am
Oh, one other thing, I do not

Oh, one other thing, I do not believe any syndicated columnist or columnist in any fashion has brains enough to judge any party or members of any party. Anyone that does think so, is really, really, challenged. :)

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 01/24/12 - 06:53 am
Wtinney, your political

Wtinney, your political analysis looks sound, but it amounts to supporting whatever the population favors. Ron Paul's strength has been his message, which is gradually gaining acceptance as more people sense the disaster we're heading for if our government keeps involving itself inthe social fabric of our country at so many levels.

In last night's debate, Romney bloodied Gingrich over Gingrich's lucrative role as a "historical advisor" to Fannie Mae. In that regard, Romney stands head and shoulders above Gingrich; for while Gringrich's wealth has come from lobbying and influence peddling, Romney's has come from hard work and business insight.

Gingrich is vulnerable. As Christopher Warren remarked, Gingrich is an internationalist and globalist in good standing with the Council on Foreign Relations. His conservativism is just talk, and his infidelity is a disgrace.

I prefer Ron Paul. After him, Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney seem far more trustworthy than Gingrich.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/24/12 - 08:22 am
wtinney wrote: [There] will

wtinney wrote:

[There] will be a stronger anti-Mormon vote in Florida, mirroring South Carolina, than I previously thought. In my earlier post, I said Florida may be the exception. It is now clear that the large evangelical center of Florida, significant Jewish population, and the Miami-Dade Hispanic Catholics will not vote for Romney squarely because he's a Mormon.

I was thinking Florida would be less anti-Mormon than South Carolina, but you make a good argument, Mr. Tinney. I was hoping that Romney could overcome religious bigotry in 2012. Now I'm worried.

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/24/12 - 08:52 am
Romney passed a healthcare

Romney passed a healthcare bill in Mass. that is almost identical to Obamacare, and didn't release his tax records until he got his butt kicked in SC. Newt has lots of baggage. RP looks like the tired old uncle you only see at family reunions. Even with all of this, given the disaster we've experienced in this country for the past 3 years called the Obama Administration, polls show whoever the GOP nominates will probably win. Yup, more "change" coming liberals.

Chillen
Chillen 01/24/12 - 11:32 am
I love 90% of Ron Paul's

I love 90% of Ron Paul's platform. His % of support in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina has doubled in 2012 (vs 2008 percentages). That right there should tell you something about the shift in American politics.

The winds are a changin' in the USA. And I don't mean obama's version of "change" either.

Whether Paul wins or loses, he is changing politics and for that I wholeheartedly thank him.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/24/12 - 11:38 am
I agree Chillen. Paul is

specsta
specsta 01/24/12 - 11:48 am
Ummm...it seems as if folks

Ummm...it seems as if folks have conveniently forgotten a certain amount of baggage that Ron Paul is dragging around, namely those newsletters he published about "race wars", "scary" black criminals, and Hitler being a positive initial force in Germany. And that's just a handful of the racist views he espoused in his newsletters.

Trust Ron Paul's policies? I don't think so...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/24/12 - 11:56 am
First off, Specsta, I have no

First off, Specsta, I have no personal knowledge of Paul's feelings vis a vis people of races different from him. But I do not find any relationship between a person's racial feelings and his "policies." It is possible for a non-racist to have bad policies; and it is possible for a racist to have good policies. There is no correlation between the two things.

Chillen
Chillen 01/24/12 - 02:07 pm
specsta. Ron Paul has denied

specsta. Ron Paul has denied direct knowledge of those letters.

Does it bother you that your current president and his appointment - Eric Holder are racists? That they favor the black panthers over our voting law of the land? The sided with the unlawful blacks instead of the lawful whites.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 01/24/12 - 05:30 pm
It doesn't bother me for

It doesn't bother me for candidates to change their beliefs on issues if they have done so because new or different information or experiences have taken place; it's what thinking people do.

socks99
socks99 01/24/12 - 07:14 pm
Though it sounds like a

Though it sounds like a cliche, I think it's true to say: Ron Paul needn't win the Presidency in order to have a dramatic effect on American politics. If Bill Clinton was the ultimate hypocrite and dissembler -- just full of you know what -- then Paul is the straight shooting trooper gently pointing out that sound economics are not rocket science except in their rareness when practiced by modern political leaders. Across the globe, spendthrift, thoughtless and reckless leaders are fading from power and influence as others who've heeded the lessons of finance and economics grow in stature. Paul's the "I-told-you-so" go to guy, and I am glad so many or our ex-presidents, economists, and other leaders are still around to hear, see and feel the "painful truth" all around us!

ken8375309
ken8375309 01/24/12 - 09:02 pm
"I agree Chillen. Paul is

"I agree Chillen. Paul is unelectable, but his continued presence is making a difference."

Yes, the lamestream media tells us over and over and over and over that he is not electable, so this must be true... Maybe they are right.. Look at the debates, the obvious censorship.. They will make sure that he will not be elected.. I wonder why they are so threatened by him?

Bruno
Bruno 01/24/12 - 09:34 pm
I don't like Paul's

I don't like Paul's isolationist foreign policies nor do I like his racist past. He is not electable. He will simply be the Ross Perot of this election.

ken8375309
ken8375309 01/24/12 - 10:55 pm
Dr Paul has received more

Dr Paul has received more contributions from active duty military for his non intervention policies than ALL OTHER CANDIDATES COMBINED...... What does this tell you?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/25/12 - 01:10 am
I don't need the media to

I don't need the media to tell me he is unelectable, it is apparent to anyone paying attention to politics. Unfortunately, presidential elections are beauty contests, with people hopping on band wagons for one reason or another; but most importantly, ignoring policy positions and voting for someone like they would in a popularity contest.
Paul may get 40% of the vote against Obama, but that would only be because so few "anti-Obamas" went to the polls. A significant number will stay home before voting for him because he is so uninspiring.

NFL probes Falcon 'fake' crowd noise

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons are being investigated for piping in fake crowd noise through the Georgia Dome's sound system for the past two seasons.