Music should praise God

In case you missed it, on the front page of The Augusta Chronicle Jan. 13, here was a quote from one of the stories:

“We are thrilled to announce, that after more than 13 years, the incomparable Elton John will once again grace the stage of the James Brown Arena.”

One night after work, Brent, my 23-year-old son, and his girlfriend were at our house. So was Bradley, my 15-year-old, who is quite a good drummer. I made a big deal saying, “Have you guys heard the big news? Elton John is coming to Augusta in March!”

The reaction was quick from all three: So what? Who would want to go to that? I had a good laugh with them and was pleased. Wow, Mom and Dad have done all right.

Then with prompting in my spirit, I told Bradley that when I was his age, Elton John was my favorite artist, and that I had an album called Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and that I listened to it so much that I knew all the words to all the songs. One of those songs talks about homosexuality. That was in 1974.

Bradley said, “Why did you listen to junk like that?” I could only say that I was blind. Instead of memorizing Bible verses, I memorized mainstream music 40 years ago.

So I can officially say that I am not going to the Elton John concert, and my family isn’t either. But I might just go to Winter Jam next month where the groups on the same stage will be praising and worshipping the one, true, holy God. One of those artists is Kari Jobe, who came to The Sanctuary last year.

I thank my Lord who opened up my eyes and has done the same for my boys! And we should pray that a bunch of young people go to Winter Jam and not to Elton John.

Tracy Carter

Evans

Bruno
Bruno 01/18/12 - 05:53 pm
I wonder what song she thinks

I wonder what song she thinks mentions or is about homosexuality on that album. Also, if you don't like his music, stay home and don't go.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/12 - 05:56 pm
Bruno, can't answer the

Bruno, can't answer the question about the song because I don't listen to his music. As for if you don't like his music, stay home and don't go..... I believe that's just what her letter was saying she would do and also her children and encouraging others who believe Christian music is better for you to do.

Cadence
Cadence 01/18/12 - 06:40 pm
Oh my goodness you guys crack

Oh my goodness you guys crack me up. I'm trying to think which song on the album (what we had before CDs) referred to homosexuality. I am a born again bible thumping Christian and I love Elton John. He is a very talented lyricist, pianist, and singer. My salvation is based on grace; I'm not scared of losing it if I listen to a pop artist. (Did you know he played at Rush Limbaugh's wedding?) No doubt the writer's kids feel Elton is for us old fogies but would wait overnight on the sidewalk to hear...well I don't even know who is popular these days. I'm far too spiritual to know about such things.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/12 - 07:27 pm
Colosians 3:2 "Set your minds

Colosians 3:2 "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."
Romans 12:2 "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Phillipians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. "

Over and over and over again we as Christians are warned to think on spiritual things and not worldly things. Listening to secular music won't make you loose your salvation but it sure can prevent you from being an effective witness for Christ. You listen to the world long enough you become like the world. That is what's wrong with so many in the church today.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/18/12 - 08:42 pm
"Music IS the language of

"Music IS the language of God".....unless it's gangsta rap...

burninater
burninater 01/18/12 - 09:18 pm
Over and over and over again

---------
Good heavens I wish people would abide by this. Stop obsessing on our worldly blue laws, music, sexual liberty, politics, etc etc etc and leave us to live our worldly lives however we please. You say your scripture demands it? Then start living it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/12 - 10:36 pm
burninater, some of us are

burninater, some of us are living it. We may listen to the things of God, pray daily, and keep His Word close to our hearts, but we also must deal with the worldy sinful stuff that is expose to us since we do live on this earth along with you. These scriptures mean we are not to purposely ponder or dwell on sinful stuff so we are not tempted by the things of this world, not to get numb and begin to think like the world does. I never said scripture demands it, but God does command it. We still have the choice to listen and obey or ignore it.

eagle
eagle 01/18/12 - 10:55 pm
Don't like his music...don't

Don't like his music...don't go. Simple as that. His lifestyle has nothing to do with his music.

Bruno
Bruno 01/18/12 - 11:17 pm
Once again, if you don't like

Once again, if you don't like his music, don't go to his concerts or listen. Doing so does not make you any better nor worse than the person who does. It is exactly the writer's holier than thou attitude that, in my opinion, turns more people away from rather than toward Christianity.
Listening to his music isn't condoning nor supporting his homosexuality. Also, Bernie Taupin wrote most if not all of the lyrics on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Elton, in my opinion, isn't nearly as good a lyricist as Taupin was.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/18/12 - 11:18 pm
You are beating your head

You are beating your head against the wall Bruno. This part of your post bears repeating: " It is exactly the writer's holier than thou attitude that, in my opinion, turns more people away from rather than toward Christianity."
Dittos and AMEN!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/18/12 - 11:19 pm
Y

Y

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/19/12 - 07:30 am
I guess it's in how you read

I guess it's in how you read the letter Bruno. Personaly I found the letter just a statement of her view between secular music and music that praises her God and her opinon on which one is better for you. If you are offended by it maybe it is because it speaks some truth. I see nothing "holier-than-thou" about it. She never put anyone else down for planning on going and didn't condemn anyone.

Techfan
Techfan 01/19/12 - 08:13 am
Everyone know's that if Jesus

Everyone know's that if Jesus was alive today, he'd be a derivatives trader, drive a Lexus, only listen to country music, and carry a Glock.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/19/12 - 09:05 am
Definiton of derivative: A

Definiton of derivative: A financial security such as an option or future whose value is derived in part from the value and characteristics of another security, the underlying asset.

Well Techfan, you might be right on this one. Christ is our financial security and our value is derived from His characteristics. He is the underlying asset we all need. As for driving a Lexus, I think He'd be more frugal with his spending, as for the country music....nah, He has the heavenly angels to sing for Him, and carry a Glock.....not likely when He can take or give you life with just the sound of His voice. No need for a firearm.

billcass
billcass 01/19/12 - 02:06 pm
So am I to assume the letter

So am I to assume the letter writer does not patronize the businesses of any sinners? I am an evangelical Christian, and frankly I find your letter sad. It is a terrible misapplication/misunderstanding of scriture. I simply have never understood why some Christians have elevated homosexuality to the level of some "uber sin." It is a sin like any other, and requires repentance and God's grace. If we are not going to patronize the businesses of sinners, we are going to all become monks.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/19/12 - 02:12 pm
Thank you billcass! You made

Thank you billcass! You made the best point of all on this whole thread.

" If we are not going to patronize the businesses of sinners, we are going to all become monks."

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 01/19/12 - 02:37 pm
I agree that music should be

I agree that music should be used to glorify God. However, I have to wonder how many of these "Christian" artists truly have a relationship with Christ vs. using "Christian" as a marketing tool to sell music. The Bible says we should be transformed, and be different from the world. I find music that is labeled as "Christian" but sounds like AC/DC to be just as offensive as AC/DC (just an example). The reason being is that it still appeals to the flesh...just with a different label. I guess the point I am trying to make is that labeling something as "Christian" does not necessarily mean that it glorifies God. If you question teens about rock music, they will usually say "I listen to it for the beat...not the words". However, if you interview people who listen to Christian rock, they will say, "I listen to it for the words, not the music"...so....which is it? and if Christ were to appear at a Christian rock concert, would He be able to tell that He was not at a regular rock concert? For entertainment, I see no harm...but to say that it glorifies God....I seriously question that.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 01/19/12 - 02:43 pm
So Elton John's music does

So Elton John's music does not praise God...which he doesn't claim that it does...but Skillet's fireworks, head-banging, screaming and shouting "music" does glorify God? hmmm...makes me wonder.....

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.