Music should praise God

In case you missed it, on the front page of The Augusta Chronicle Jan. 13, here was a quote from one of the stories:

“We are thrilled to announce, that after more than 13 years, the incomparable Elton John will once again grace the stage of the James Brown Arena.”

One night after work, Brent, my 23-year-old son, and his girlfriend were at our house. So was Bradley, my 15-year-old, who is quite a good drummer. I made a big deal saying, “Have you guys heard the big news? Elton John is coming to Augusta in March!”

The reaction was quick from all three: So what? Who would want to go to that? I had a good laugh with them and was pleased. Wow, Mom and Dad have done all right.

Then with prompting in my spirit, I told Bradley that when I was his age, Elton John was my favorite artist, and that I had an album called Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and that I listened to it so much that I knew all the words to all the songs. One of those songs talks about homosexuality. That was in 1974.

Bradley said, “Why did you listen to junk like that?” I could only say that I was blind. Instead of memorizing Bible verses, I memorized mainstream music 40 years ago.

So I can officially say that I am not going to the Elton John concert, and my family isn’t either. But I might just go to Winter Jam next month where the groups on the same stage will be praising and worshipping the one, true, holy God. One of those artists is Kari Jobe, who came to The Sanctuary last year.

I thank my Lord who opened up my eyes and has done the same for my boys! And we should pray that a bunch of young people go to Winter Jam and not to Elton John.

Tracy Carter

Evans

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 01/18/12 - 06:05 am
I would venture to say that

I would venture to say that quite a few church choir directors may well be at that show.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/12 - 07:34 am
You are exactly right Evil

You are exactly right Evil Queen. Not everyone thinks or believes like Ms. Carter, nor does everyone like the same kind of music. You have implied that Ms. Carter's letter is due to homophobia, I don't see where you would come to that conclusion. Remember your own words, not everyone thinks like you, not everyone believes like you, and not everyone is a fan of secular music. It's wonderful that we all have our opinion and I see Ms. Carter's letter as nothing more than her voicing hers and offering a diverse kind of music.....Winter Jam. Augusta is a very muli-cultural and diverse town. We have many festivals and events exposing us to those and see no reason that one person's opinion who be proof that we are in need of more.

agustinian
agustinian 01/18/12 - 08:44 am
Oh please! When Elton John

Oh please! When Elton John plays, I know God's gonna be tappin' to the music -- She enjoys her creations using their talents (which are supposedly "God-given"). And God is big enough that She doesn't need every musical rendition to be about Her. And when it's over She'll "Still be Standing."

burninater
burninater 01/18/12 - 10:00 am
ICL, evil queen probably came

ICL, evil queen probably came to the homophobia conclusion because the letter writer states two specific things in her letter about what's wrong with John's music: 1) he doesn't praise God, and 2) he sang about homosexuality. It's right there in the letter, ICL.

ITALIAN
ITALIAN 01/18/12 - 10:07 am
I'm sure if she had said The

I'm sure if she had said The Black Eyed Peas or Adele was coming she would see them run to get tickets! Elton John has done extensive charitable works in his lifetime!

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/12 - 11:10 am
And that makes her a

And that makes her a homophobic burninater, because she mentioned one of Elton John's songs is about homosexuality and I reread the letter and don't see where she says he doesn't praise God. I don't see any irrational fear or hate towards homosexuals in her words. I took it as her opinion on which genre of music she think is best to listen to, and that she hopes young people will fill their ears with spiritual music instead of secular music. It's right there in the letter, burninater.

soldout
soldout 01/18/12 - 11:55 am
When you go to his concert

When you go to his concert you support him and give a vote for his lifestyle. We sow and reap all our life and many choose not to sow into the support of the homosexual life style. They will reap good things for not doing so. We are all a product of our sowing and reaping and the heart judgements we make on others. There is a reason for the position in life each one of us has this very moment. God said we can choose blessings or cursings. Christians should be more concerned about Elton John's future than his music. A thousand years from now his music won't matter but his choices sure will. Tracy made a good choice and is already being blessed.

burninater
burninater 01/18/12 - 11:57 am
ICL, are we reading the same

ICL, are we reading the same letter? She will not go to see John. The single specific observation she gave about his music is that he has a song about homosexuality. She will go to see Winter Jam. The one specific observation she gives about performers there is that they praise God. I really don't see how it is strange to conclude that she doesn't want to see John because 1) he sang about homosexuality, and 2) he doesnt praise God.

Did I say the letter writer was homophobic? I pointed out what in the letter could lead someone to that conclusion. Does fixating on the fact that a song is about homosexuality make someone homophobic? Not in my opinion. Is it hypersensitive to a fact of nature in my opinion? Yes. To me, it's like saying a song is secular because it's about rain. It's not homophobic, but it IS silly.

soldout
soldout 01/18/12 - 12:12 pm
If someone hates Elton's sin

If someone hates Elton's sin but loves him is that person homophobic? .......That person would be Jesus. Jesus walking around today would have lunch with Elton John but would also tell him to sin no more. If that would make Jesus homophobic then everyone needs to be homophobic.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/18/12 - 12:29 pm
Why is Elton John's private

Why is Elton John's private life anyone's business? I can't believe that in 2012 we are still debating about someone's sexual "choice" when it is clearly a biological situation. I say "situation" because some may categorize it as a genetic accident, while others may say genetic "difference" to imply that homosexuality is normal. I won't stray off into that particular debate, but to say someone "chooses" to be homosexual is just backwards thinking totally unsupported by any science.

Bonk
Bonk 01/18/12 - 01:12 pm
The hate the sin but love the

The hate the sin but love the sinner arguement is still being played in the year 2012? Really? Fact: homosexuality is present in every species on earth, but homophobia is only present in one of them.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/12 - 01:27 pm
Before 1973, homosexuality

Before 1973, homosexuality was classified as a mental illness by the APA. Studies changed that examining the "nature vs nurture" argument. Both sides have found strong correlations with social environment, but also strong correlations with it as a sex-linked trait passed by Mom, differences in hypothalamic nuclei (some larger some smaller),etc. Basically the process of science doesn't have a firm conclusion and both camps (genes or environment) vehemently oppose each other. So you can "believe" it is biological (as most people do) but there is really no strong case to support biology over environment (at least presently). I like what Buddy Rich said about music:"There are two kinds of music-good and bad". That pretty much sums it up. I know many classically trained musicians hate jazz. Many church goers hate drums and guitar, etc. It really takes all kinds doesn't it. I like all music but I often struggle with rap and country music (and if you mix the two of them together you get "c-rap". hee,hee,hee. Oh homosexuality isn't present in every species on earth-take a biology class.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/12 - 01:30 pm
Bonk, hate the sin but love

Bonk, hate the sin but love the sinner is not a game to be "played" but a standard by which Christians should live by. As for homosexuality being present in every species on earth, so is cannibalism, what's your point. Just because something is present does not make it acceptable.

It's better to hate the sin and love the sinner than to love the sin and hate the sinner.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/18/12 - 05:24 pm
Either way Biz, biological,

Either way Biz, biological, environmental, or some combination of both; it isn't a "choice". If so, I would like for the enlightened to tell me when they "decided" they would like the opposite sex instead of their own. If they did "decide", it must mean they felt an attraction for both, but "decided" which way they wanted to go. How many of you "choosers" out there had homosexual attractions but "chose" heterosexuality over homosexuality?

Edit: I see there are still no takers. Come on now, fess up. You are anonymous, so tell us what experiences you had that led you to choose between the two... WHEN did you know?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 01/18/12 - 01:35 pm
Biz is correct. "Scientific"

Biz is correct. "Scientific" evidence for a genetic basis of homosexuality has been pretty much debunked.

As noted in AC articles a year or so, there are a significant number of "former" homosexuals who are now practicing heterosexuals. Bottom line: if there is a genetic predisposition to homosexuality, it can be overcome (if the person wants to). Others have proven that fact.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/12 - 01:43 pm
Well the gene and environment

Well the gene and environment issue also applies to pedophilia, schizophrenia, or even cancer, but I don't think anyone thinks they are all hunky dory. Violent behaviors definitely have a biological substrate so do we give violent criminals a pass because it is in their genes and they can't help? I don't know the answer and I'm glad I'm too old to worry about it. Really tough issues that our youth will have to deal with.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/18/12 - 01:49 pm
"She's got electric boobs, a

"She's got electric boobs, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magazieeeeeeeennnee...Ba, Ba, Ba, Bennie and the Jets...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/18/12 - 02:07 pm
I always thought it was

I always thought it was boots. But then again I don't hear so good.

Jane18
Jane18 01/18/12 - 02:08 pm
I'm with you soldout(and I do

I'm with you soldout(and I do worry about the eternal souls of people).

swcohen
swcohen 01/18/12 - 02:32 pm
So I suppose the upcoming

So I suppose the upcoming Black Sabbath reunion tour is REALLY a no-go-show round these parts?

allhans
allhans 01/18/12 - 02:52 pm
Elton John and his wife

Elton John and his wife Donald is upset with Madonna, I hear. Thought They deserved the award.

specsta
specsta 01/18/12 - 03:42 pm
Augusta is truly stuck in a

Augusta is truly stuck in a 1950's time warp.

There are more churches per capita than any other city I have lived in, yet there has been a murder here every 4 days, since the year began. I see churches in former liquor stores, in former nightclubs, on expansive plots of land - everywhere I look. Aren't things supposed to be better with so many church folk around?

What's the point of "purifying" yourself (as a Christian) from secular influences if your own influence over the conditions in this city are so poor? Augusta should be one of the wealthiest, crime-free, enjoyable places to live, based on the number of God-fearing folk that reside here. Why isn't it?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/18/12 - 04:15 pm
howcanweknow, when did you

howcanweknow, when did you "decide" that you would be heterosexual? What homosexual attractions did you have that let you say "Hmmmm; I think I will go for the heterosexual lifestyle?"

Edit: Just to be clear to readers. I am not suggesting that HCWK actually had any such tendencies, and I apologize if anyone took it that way. I'm just trying to make a point that we don't choose our attractions, they are natural. You can say they are abnormal, but they are still biological.

Also, those who have "converted", are probably living a lie just to avoid the stigma.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/18/12 - 03:56 pm
Biz, as to your post about

Biz, as to your post about schizo's and pedo's; do you think it is really fair or rational to draw that parallel considering homosexuality in and of itself has no negative implications to the individual or others beyond what society and the uninformed bestow upon them?

soldout
soldout 01/18/12 - 04:15 pm
sin never has a defense;

sin never has a defense; just a guaranteed result.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/18/12 - 04:17 pm
specsta, Although our area

specsta, Although our area may have the high rate of churches, does not mean that all those churches are teaching the Word of God. Most are only a social gathering place for people to feel good and pacify themselves into thinking they are living well. They are living no different than the non-believer who lives next door.

Those who are trying to live according to the standards God set before us are speaking out but most times are drowned out by the evil influence of the one who is currently the ruler of this earth. So it will be until the Lord's return....God never promised his people material wealth, crime free, easy lives. That's a lie that the master of lies has convinced everyone. My Lord promises joy within Him and peace only provided by Him. It's a wonderful thing.

Bizkit
Bizkit 01/18/12 - 04:53 pm
Some cultures actually made

Some cultures actually made their young men have homosexual relations as youths before manhood-they didn't have a choice. But in regard to comparing homosexuality and pedophilia-it is what scientist are saying that many of the same factors that correlate with homosexuality also correlate with pedophilia. It is not saying they are the same but their biology may have similarities. Actually it isn't true that homosexuality may have no negatives. The original Science articles on the HIV-AIDS epidemic found ground zero to be a gay flight attendant and the initial vector was gay activity and then later IV drug use. At first health departments wanted to go and address activities in gay bath houses, but the gay community balked at the infringement on their rights. A few years later they started dropping like flies and the gay community begged for health departments and scientist to come to their aid. Now AIDS is considered a treatable disease. The X-linked trait ideas also has an evolution slant because it is proposed homosexuals have an abundance of recessive genes that may not be healthy for a population so nature is selecting against them progagating the unhealthy genes. But it has to have some evolutionary significance just like memes such as a religions have an evolutionary significance. I personally don't buy the gene idea. But nothing occurs in a vacuum so there may be unintended consequences to an increased acceptance and prevalence that we won't figure out till decades from now. So it is absolutely FAIR and RATIONAL (at least by deductive reasoning), at least according to scientist who puruse this line of research. But science is a process so 10 years from now it may found to fantastic too.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/18/12 - 05:02 pm
LL, Your hearing is just

LL, Your hearing is just fine...it's electric boots...the hint should be that it is followed by a "suit".

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/18/12 - 05:16 pm
specsta, just think what it

specsta, just think what it would be like if we didn't have all the churches and the church folk around....pure hell, huh?

Think about when Jesus had his ministry here on earth, wouldn't you have imagined that of all ministries, His, should have really created some greater numbers of followers. Here was both the Son of God and Son of Man right here, face to face, teaching, encouraging, loving, saving, preaching, healing, casting out demons, demonstrating miraculous miracles before their very eyes.... and yet?

And yet, His Word declares the gates to heaven are narrow and there shall only be a REMNANT of those who will be saved.

I don't know about you, but I want to be counted in the REMNANT and allowed to pass through the gates to live out my eternal life with the Lord.

belle
belle 01/18/12 - 05:37 pm
I always thought it was "she

I always thought it was "she had electric boobs...her ma did too...you know I read it in a magazine......yah.
Anyway, everyone is entitled to their beliefs ...and they are varied..like our understanding of the lyrics.. but we are all singing this song to the same tune.