Don't gloat over loss of life

Watching a year-end news commentary New Year’s Eve, I was saddened by the gloating over the death of Osama bin Laden.

He was a murdering terrorist, and deserved to die. Justice was done, and that is a good thing. It was necessary, right and just that he died. All kudos to our
government, our intelligence agencies and the brave members of our military who carried out this righteous mission.

Having said all that, I must still say that, as a Christian, I do not delight in the death of another
human being. Osama was evil and dangerous, and I
do not grieve over his passing, but neither do I delight in it. It was necessary, but let us not celebrate it. Let us
regard his death as an unfortunate and painful necessity.

In rejoicing over the death of another human being, we descend to the moral level as Osama himself. And I, for one, do not care to be on the same moral level as Osama bin Laden.

George R. Clark Jr.

North Augusta, S.C.

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/06/12 - 12:31 am
your sentiments resound with

your sentiments resound with many Mr. Clark

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 01/06/12 - 12:39 am
Mr. Clark; it is not so much

Mr. Clark; it is not so much a rejoicing of a death as it is a celebration of the removal of a threat. It is but one big step in the defeating of a philosophy that would have you, me, and most everyone reading this DEAD! I can't help but take some satisfaction in that.

david jennings
david jennings 01/06/12 - 07:41 am
From when I first heard the

From when I first heard the news of Bin Laden' death I felt it just, but I knew there was no need for celebration, good letter Mr. Clark.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/06/12 - 08:13 am
Yes, very good letter Mr.

Yes, very good letter Mr. Clark.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/06/12 - 09:45 am
Yes, a good letter, Mr.

Yes, a good letter, Mr. Clark. Before sitting in judgement, however, of those that might gloat remember that you don't know what emotions are pent up in those people that might encourage them to gloat when otherwise they wouldn't. In other words , don't criticize those in whose shoes you have not walked.

blackindependent
blackindependent 01/06/12 - 11:00 am
While we are at it, let us

While we are at it, let us also not confuse happiness or relief with gloating.
If a serial killer is killed by the cops or a home owner, can we be happy that the danger is past or do we cry over the death of a human being?

I am a Christian too, and I was overjoyed that Osama was killed, not gloating, just glad that a menace to the Earth had been removed forever. I hold no shame nor do I apologize for my feelings.

Jane18
Jane18 01/06/12 - 01:41 pm

Thank you blackindependent, I share your feelings. Bin Laden was a cancer, a cancer on and in the world, and as any cancer that can be removed, he was, permanently. Is that a time to be thankful and to rejoice? I would say yes. Ask anyone that has had cancer........................The main thing to remember is sometime not all of the "cells" can be removed or cured.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/06/12 - 03:19 pm
Frankly, the only gloating

Frankly, the only gloating that I have seen in this battle against terrorism took place in an Arab country shortly after 9/11. What I saw take place in the US of A was celebration which as the two posters above pointed out was justified. I won't say that there was none but I can say that I did not see it.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 01/06/12 - 07:06 pm
There is an old saying that

There is an old saying that goes; "Anyone's death diminishes me." I will admit, I was not "diminished" by the deaths of OBL, or Saddam Hussein and his son's. However, I am happy to see evil squashed, no matter where, or how.

Animal protest called off

Animal activists cancelled a scheduled protest today at Augusta Animal Services after the city's Thursday announcement the department would begin working with a rescue group and will refrain from ...