Ron Paul's ideas don't fly

I know that this letter will stick in the craw of many of those who are part of the cult of Ron Paul, but Ron Paul’s ideas don’t work – never have and never will.

Ron Paul is running as a Republican and not a Libertarian. He likes to couch his rhetoric with Libertarian talking points, but let’s be honest, if – and this is huge if – Ron Paul were to ever win the presidency as a Republican, you can bet his administration would find, just as the Obama administration has found, that change in the U.S. system of government doesn’t come in sweeping movements, and that individual actors – even the U.S. president, despite a strong desire – are not capable of creating rapid change.

Paul cannot point to one example of a working libertarian system of government – nor can he point to any system that partially uses libertarian economic theory. That is scary, folks, and it is puzzling why so many seem drawn to his ideas like moths to a flame.

Our political process is not perfect, but until we stop demanding from it what it cannot produce, we will not be able to focus on what is possible, and we will always be upset at what we have. Libertarianism doesn’t work. If you think it does, open your U.S. history books back to the 1890s and read why they called it the Gilded Age.

Also pick up a copy of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Do we really want to go back to a day when 8-year-old children were forced to work 15-hour days out of economic necessity? Do we want to go back to a system that allowed free enterprise a free hand in doing what it wants, with only the strongest public outrage serving as a check to their schemes?

I know many here in Georgia grew up learning politics from very conservative parents, and thus have from a very early age self-identified with conservative politics. I know this is why many feel naturally compelled to embrace Ron Paul – he is a conservative; he is safe. All I ask is for you to tune out the slogans and the rhetoric, and do something that you should be doing now – think for yourself.

Just because you believe that pot should be legalized or that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered folks should be free to marry whom they want, doesn’t mean that you have to get on board with a guy who ultimately supports kids working in the coal pits, polluters’ right to pollute and CEOs who act like the robber barons of old.

Shayne Felberg

Augusta

desertcat6
desertcat6 01/04/12 - 02:16 am
President Obama had a

President Obama had a democratic congress and actually succeeded in changing our country in ways the majority of the population did not want, and added trillions to our national debt in the process. I don't agree with Ron Paul much, but believe he and a few of the other republicans in the race have the courage to say no to budgets that are loaded with programs and grants we can no longer afford.

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/04/12 - 03:09 am
we've already got that system

we've already got that system Shayne. Except the 8 year olds who work 15 hour days are in CHINA. You can thank the lockstep lackeys in the republican and democratic parties for the various "free trade" legislation that allows for these cheap goods to be shipped over here, simultaneously decimating America's industry. Robber barons? We already have those too. However a good bit of people on this site have no problem with the CEOs making on average 475 TIMES what their workers make, do you? I'll totally agree with your 2nd paragraph that sweeping changes of policy are next to impossible in the course of a presidents 4 year term with a possible hostile (in ron pauls case it would be both parties) party in opposition.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/04/12 - 05:06 am
"The CULT of Ron Pul?" I

"The CULT of Ron Pul?" I don't agree Shayne.
8 year old children will never work in coal pits or anywhere else for that matter. We have laws against that stuff.
Actually I agree much more with omnomonms post than your letter.

SweetTea
SweetTea 01/04/12 - 09:43 am
This article is irritating.

This article is irritating. Have you read Ron Paul's proposals? He is the only true conservative running. Ron has a plan to cut $1 trillion dollars from Federal spending in the first year. It's humane, and because it is so concentrated on the executive branch and operational costs of the military, doable. Ron's policies often sound weird at a glance, but if you take time to look at them in detail, and think, they make a lot of sense.

The war on drugs. Why do we want to continue to pour money down the drain when our kids can already find drugs easily, should they choose to do so? We are running a budget deficit over 10% of GDP, and Federal debt has reached over 100% of GDP. These numbers are absolutely frightening. You should take the time to look into history. Most nations that come to these very high levels of debt, eventually fall apart.

If we do not make the difficult decisions to drastically cut spending in this electoral cycle, then when? When the debt is much higher? Japan is already in a black-hole, and I do not want to hand a situation such as theirs to our kids. We need to make difficult choices now. Ron Paul is the only candidate with a credible fiscal plan (one that can be implemented without totally destroying our economy). Romney doesn't cut much of anything, and Santorum has absolutely no specifics in his plan, so you can expect more of the same. Go look at his voting record.

I'm so sick and tired of being lumped into a group called a "cult". The cult seems to be everyone else. Those that cannot seriously cut spending. Doing more of the same will yield the same results.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 01/04/12 - 09:58 am
It's amazing that the

It's amazing that the letter-writer expects us to think Ron Paul wants our nation to return to the days of monopolies, trusts, and forced child labor. How absurd!

As to legalizing pot and other street drugs, I think we should wait until we figure out how to avoid the problems experienced by states and nations that have legalized these drugs or lowered the drinking age.

eagleblueblood
eagleblueblood 01/04/12 - 10:04 am
His ideals are the same as

His ideals are the same as our founding fathers. The truth is that the detractors and most of the Americans do not truly believe in personal liberty. The do not want freedom, they want the government to tell them what to do and how to live their lives. It is the only explanation.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/04/12 - 10:22 am
Shane.....I am not a Paul

Shane.....I am not a Paul supporter but I see nothing in his policies that would force 8 year olds to work or that would turn loose the robber barons. If we keep spending more than we make and continue to follow Democrat socialist policies, you may very well see 8 year olds working in the fields in your lifetime....after the collapse. So, Paul is not my pick but I will vote for any Republican nominee, any congressional candidate, any senate candidate who's sworn mission is to cut spending and balance the budget. I certainly understand why some people support Paul but I personally do not think he can beat Obama and that is my main concern. Of course, all of this presidential hullabaloo is moot if we do not turn the Senate around too. Harry Reid shares the Public Enemy No. 1 spot right along with Obama. He must be removed as Senate majority leader.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/04/12 - 10:35 am
Sweet Tea, FA,eagle and

Sweet Tea, FA,eagle and dichotomy----Great posts!!!

prov227
prov227 01/04/12 - 10:58 am
Shayne, these two following

Shayne, these two following paragraphs sure sound like Libertarian (Ron Paul) ideas ...

"These are people who call for making government inconsequential in our lives, unless you happen to make lifestyle choices they don’t agree with. They are all for letting people rear and educate their kids in religious-nutcase environments, but God forbid you want to smoke a joint in the privacy of your own home."

"They think it is perfectly acceptable to spend trillions of dollars on failed foreign policy and prop up dictators or people such as Osama bin Laden who eventually turn on us, but it is a travesty to use tax dollars to take care of our own people or rebuild our infrastructure."

What do you think? You wrote them.

Bruno
Bruno 01/04/12 - 11:10 am
The thing that Paulistinians

The thing that Paulistinians fail to acknowledge is that even if Paul became President he would be completely ineffectual since he would be promoting policies that run contrary to both parties. A few of his ideas are worth examining but even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Also, his racist and homophobic past will put him out of the running once the finish line gets close.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 01/04/12 - 11:47 am
which candidate is not racist

which candidate is not racist and homophobic? at least paul doesn't support policies that are, ie the war on drugs and the defense of marriage. who else?

impossible
impossible 01/04/12 - 11:59 am
The letter writer is quite

The letter writer is quite clever or quite uninformed. If he thinks Ron Paul is a conservative, he is uninformed - Ron Paul is as liberal as Barak Obama. The writer isn't really clever, but perhaps is trying to be clever by calling Ron Paul a conservative, thereby attempting to give genuine conservatives a black eye. Rick Santorum, of the three Iowa leaders is the only genuine conservative. Nice try, but no dice.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 01/04/12 - 12:01 pm
This nation needs its own

This nation needs its own analog of Holland's Pim Fortuyn, who wanted his lifestyle to be safe and legal, his government to be solvent and his culture to be protected from subversive elements. I don't expect to live long enough to see such enlightenment among the electorate, but that would be a great day for America if it came to pass.

Bruno
Bruno 01/04/12 - 12:07 pm
BSNM, the war on drugs policy

BSNM, the war on drugs policy isn't racist as drug use is not limited to one race. That charge is false. Also, none of the other candidates have run a newsletter promoting racism, bigotry and homophobia. Ron Paul did.

harley_52
harley_52 01/04/12 - 12:37 pm
impossible said "If he thinks

impossible said "If he thinks Ron Paul is a conservative, he is uninformed - Ron Paul is as liberal as Barak Obama."

I don't think Paul wants to bring down our government or replace capitalism with socialism as our economic system, but I do think Ron Paul is a lot more liberal than he is Conservative and he's a lot less knowledgeable about and focused on our national defense than a President must be. While I support many of his financial and economic policies, there are far too many major areas of disagreement and even above that, I think he's too old for the job.

ken8375309
ken8375309 01/04/12 - 01:45 pm
Ron Paul's views and policies

Ron Paul's views and policies are inspired by a document that is relatively unknown to our current and recent past leaders, as well as the other GOP candidates.. It's a rarely discussed document indeed, called the Constitution.. Something that our forefathers came up with to make this the great country it is. (or was) If you think that Dr. Paul's views are too liberal, then you must also believe that those same principles on which this country have been founded on are also too liberal..

harley_52
harley_52 01/04/12 - 01:51 pm
I do not believe the United

I do not believe the United States is responsible for the 9/11/01 attacks . Ron Paul does.

I am not in favor of legalizing crack cocaine and heroin. Ron paul is.

I support the death penalty. Ron Paul doesn't.

I do not believe Iran should be allowed to develop nuclear weapons. Ron Paul does.

I do not support homosexual marriage. Ron Paul does.

I like the guy. I think he adds a little spice to the campaign. I don't consider him a serious candidate. I think the only way he can hurt the Country is to run as a third party candidate and thereby assure Obama's reelection.

Besides.....he's way too old.

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/04/12 - 01:59 pm
Harley, Ron Paul has never

Harley,
Ron Paul has never said that he wanted to legalize all drugs. What he has said is that he would allow the states to make decisions rather than the Federal Government. It is obvious that the majority of people in a state would never vote to legalize heroin or crack. His point was that it should truly be up to the state to make decisions rather than circumvented at the Federal level. An example is the several states that have legalized the use of medical marijuana as a treatment for cancer, AIDS, etc. At this point, the Federal Government can come in to those states and arrest cancer and AIDS patients and send them to prison for using a treatment because the state and Federal law conflict. Ron Paul feels that a state’s law should be valid. This has nothing to do with heroin or crack as a treatment or recreation.

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/04/12 - 02:05 pm
Along the same lines... He is

Along the same lines... He is not advocating that gay marriage be forced to be legalized in the U.S. He is in favor of having true freedom and letting the states govern themselves without intrusive Federal intervention. Ideally, marriage should be by church contract and the government should not control marriage (but in reality this is not the case.) Imagine, instead of being dictated to by folks in Washington, Red or Blue, that you could vote for a policy that affects the area in which you choose to reside? The beauty of this is it respects the melting pot of culture and differing political ideologies that make up America.

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/04/12 - 02:08 pm
by the way Harley, I'm not

by the way Harley, I'm not out to change your mind, just doing my part for damage control against the misconceptions or outright lies being repeated ad nauseum by Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, Rush, Austin Rhodes and the Augusta Chronicle (at the behest of the associated press)

ken8375309
ken8375309 01/04/12 - 02:28 pm
omnomnom, Great posts!

omnomnom,
Great posts!

hotsaucemom
hotsaucemom 01/04/12 - 03:03 pm
The Republican Party is Anti

The Republican Party is Anti - Democoracy, and that makes them TRAITORS to our country! They are job - killing commercial communistst!!!!

allhans
allhans 01/04/12 - 03:10 pm
ken..'GReat posts!" Now if

ken..'GReat posts!" Now if they were only true. A typical liberal. There are liberal talking heads all over the internet and TV telling today attempting to tell conservatives what they should think and feel.

Thank GOD for FOX News, I don't know much about the others that are named.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/04/12 - 03:14 pm
Hotsaucemom, you got it

Hotsaucemom, you got it wrong. We're Nazis, y'all are the communists.

ken8375309
ken8375309 01/04/12 - 04:22 pm
Allhans, I am as fiscally

Allhans, I am as fiscally conservative as they get.. Calling me a liberal only puts you in poor light.. Typical..

You can go at it with Ron Paul all you want, but fact is that Ron Paul is a champion of the Constitution, a true hero. He is not someone that can be bought and paid for.. He is not someone who is not afraid to take on the crooks and liars of the establishment.. For some reason this really scares so many people..

harley_52
harley_52 01/04/12 - 04:29 pm
omnomnom said "I'm not out

omnomnom said "I'm not out to change your mind, just doing my part for damage control against the misconceptions or outright lies being repeated ad nauseum by Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, Rush, Austin Rhodes and the Augusta Chronicle (at the behest of the associated press)"

Don't worry, you won't change my mind. I've done my own study and I've listened carefully to what he has said in the debates and elsewhere. I don't believe the Federal government stepping away from drug enforcement would be a wise move, though I can see a philosophical aversion to it by a pure Constitutionalist.

As for the homosexual marriage thing, I agree it should be left to the states, but there's a problem with interstate recognition of marriages and so the Federal government must take a role.

My biggest problems with Paul have to do with what he has to say about foreign affairs in general and islamic terrorism in particular. I don't think he understands the issue and, therefore, I don't think he's adequately focused on what's happening, what's at stake, or what to do about it.

It's interesting you're convinced misconceptions and outright lies are being spread by Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, Rush, Austin Rhodes and the Augusta Chronicle and the Associated Press. That would make for quite a conspiracy. I suppose you could be right, but I'll bet they don't meet very often.

You're entitled to support Paul for President if you like. And I'm entitled not to. As I said earlier, I like the guy. I just can't see him as a President and I think the overwhelming majority of Conservatives would agree.

Besides....he's way too old for the job.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/04/12 - 04:52 pm
Harley52 wrote: As for the

Harley52 wrote:

I thought there was a federal law passed called the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) that stated that for federal purposes (income tax returns, passports, Social Security benefits, etc.) that a marriage was a solemnized contract registered with a state government between one man and one woman only. So it would appear that the federal government has already acted. The states are free to solemnize other types of marriages for state purposes, but they are not recognized for federal dealings.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can enlighten us further.

madgerman
madgerman 01/04/12 - 05:19 pm
Shrimp. The only reason the

Shrimp. The only reason the 8 year old kids don't work in coal mines are OSHA, DOL and unions. Prior to the establishment of those organizations 8 year old kids did work in mines but primarily in the slag heaps. Funny no one talked about kids working in the cotton factorys. I personally think we are not too many years from that very scenario in this country the way we idolize the rich.

allhans
allhans 01/04/12 - 05:34 pm
ken. Your post, "omnomnom,

ken. Your post, "omnomnom,
Great posts!"

I happen to disagree with the posts and I reckon you don't.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms