Picture ID vital for voters

The U.S. Justice Department rejected South Carolina voter ID law as unconstitutional. They claim it discriminates against the poor and minorities.

I guess it should be unconstitutional for any check-cashing business and bank to require picture ID. I guess it should be unconstitutional for airlines to request picture ID before boarding a plane. By the Justice Department’s argument, the poor and minorities are discriminated against by these practices.

In certain European nations, it is required for all citizens over a certain age to possess a national ID. I know we are not Europe, but these nations must believe it is in their best interest to require citizens to have some form of picture ID.

Voting should be considered an important part of being an American citizen, and every step should be taken to ensure that those who are eligible to vote are properly identified. I am not naïve enough to believe that any voter ID program will prevent all voter fraud, but we should use the ID method to help combat it.

Politicians and civic leaders could work at the local level to ensure that all citizens have a valid picture ID to use for voting, banking or just about any other transaction in which we need to know who the person is.

George J. Weber

Augusta

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/31/11 - 07:01 pm
Yes, I'll put $500 on lickety

Yes, I'll put $500 on lickety split.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/31/11 - 07:04 pm
specta, if there's nothing

specta, if there's nothing to hide, then there's nothing to fear, agreed?
Do you have photo ID?

southern2
southern2 12/31/11 - 07:16 pm
The South Carolina

The South Carolina legislation has provided for a "free" ID card. How much more affordable can they make it. Maybe the opposition would like to get paid to go get one.

allhans
allhans 12/31/11 - 07:25 pm
One thing is for sure. If a

One thing is for sure. If a person doesn't care enough to have a valid ID, then they will have no interest in voting.

carcraft
carcraft 12/31/11 - 07:48 pm
Voter fraud is not just some

Voter fraud is not just some pie in the sky Republican make believe. There were enought fake signatures in Indiana to allow Obama to qualify to be on the ballot in Indiana, with out those sigatures he may not have qualified.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/31/11 - 08:41 pm
Voter fraud? Naaaaa, not in

Voter fraud? Naaaaa, not in this country!

madgerman
madgerman 12/31/11 - 08:48 pm
Lets see what is reality. I

Lets see what is reality. I live about 5 miles from my voting place. Now how do I get there if I don't have a car? Well there is no busses or wstreet cars and the cost of a taxi would be about $15.00 each way. So guess what I have to drive to that location. Additionally any poll worker who has to give instructions in spanish should be fired. I believe one of the first requiremenmts for obtaining citizenship is to be able to read and write in english = no english should be no vote period.

madgerman
madgerman 12/31/11 - 08:53 pm
I forgot to add something

I forgot to add something about the european ID. Don't forget that most countries are about the size of Georgia and the ID if kinda like a mini passport. And if you loose the ID you must pay for a new one. My Brother-in-law had his last time he was here, he was 62 and the ID was ewhen he was 27 so good luck with using it for identification. The Europeans are just like us in that they have ridiculous programs to enhance the treasury without calling it a tax.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/31/11 - 08:53 pm
Madgerman, don't forget,

Madgerman, don't forget, voters must register. They have to produce proof of address and show a driver's license to verify registration. Only then, can they vote, speake de espanole or not!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/11 - 09:31 pm
Sarge, nine times out of ten

Sarge, nine times out of ten what you post is correct. This time, however, you missed the mark. Sargebaby posted:

. . . don't forget, voters must register. They have to . . . show a driver's license to verify registration.

This is absolutely incorrect. No one even has to have a driver's license, much less, produce one to register to vote. There are plenty of legal voters who do not have driver's licenses.

If you doubt me, call your local Board of Elections and find out the truth.

allhans
allhans 12/31/11 - 09:40 pm
The thing is, if it is

The thing is, if it is allowed in GA, why not S.C.
Aren't they entitled to the same protection?

Haki
Haki 01/01/12 - 03:51 am
Republicans. Change the rules

Republicans. Change the rules in the middle of the game. Won't work in 2012.

RonRoberts
RonRoberts 01/01/12 - 04:46 pm
Before the advent of Civil

Before the advent of Civil Rights legislation, blacks were not welcome in every hospital (especially in the south); so many pregnant black women bore their children in a private setting (theirs or a midewife's home). The "free" identification cards a state might issue would STILL be a problem to obtain without authenticated birth certification - which is extremely difficult to obtain from city, county and/or state governments with such poor record-keeping practices for their black citizenry in that era.

Photo I.D. voting an only be enacted when citizens are given enough time and opportunity to obtain a valid photo I.D. to begin with.

RonRoberts
RonRoberts 01/01/12 - 04:50 pm
Incidentally, I moved to S.C.

Incidentally, I moved to S.C. from Louisiana - which is still a U.S. state last I checked - with a state-issued driver's license and my social security card; but because I couldn't for the LIFE of me find my birth certificate, I couldn't get my SC-issued driver's license until I'd obtained a copy from the state of Georgia (where I was born). That took two weeks - and I paid a good bit to get it rushed to me, too.

If the state wants to enact photo I.D. voting legislation, they HAVE to make sure any citizen lacking a photo I.D. can obtain one free of charge. Period. Otherwise, they're posting a 'poll tax.'

RunningMan
RunningMan 01/01/12 - 09:21 pm
The voter ID argument as it

The voter ID argument as it relates to voting is nonsense. Voting is a right granted to all Americans, and to now suggest that we require IDs to carry out that right is another failed attempt by the so called real Americans to denied others their basic rights. Our justice system will not allow that to happen. Next you will be asking for IDs to enter all public buildings. This coming from the same group that believes other groups are receiving the majority of government assistant in the country.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/01/12 - 10:01 pm
RunningMan wrote: Voting is a

RunningMan wrote:

Sigh, RunningMan, you are wrong, wrong, wrong on so many levels.

Voting is a right akin to the right to keep and bear arms, the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, right to free speech, right to a free press, etc. Those rights come with restrictions!

In the first place, you have to be above a certain age to vote.

In the second place, you have to be free of any court conviction removing your civil right to vote.

In the third place, you must vote only once. Here is where the voter I.D. comes in. You cannot vote in one precinct under one name and then in another precinct under another name. Hence, the voter I.D. laws seek to close this loophole in order to prevent voter frauld. Do you understand?

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/02/12 - 03:45 pm
Is voter I.D. required to

Is voter I.D. required to vote in the primaries? If not, should it be and why?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/02/12 - 04:42 pm
BJ, you unknowingly hit on a

BJ, you unknowingly hit on a pet peeve of mine. First, let me offer my opinion on your questions:

Is voter I.D. required to vote in the primaries? It is a state-by-state thing, but in Georgia, the answer is yes.

Should it be? Why or why not? My answer is, it should be up to the parties. I think it is entirely wrong and self-serving for the parties to enlist the strong arm of government to run their party nominating process. It puts the taxpayer on the hook to pay for the things, and it calls out all those local workers (full-time and part-time) to man the polls.

There was a time when parties controlled and paid for their own nominating process. Some used caucuses, as Iowa still does. Some used nominating conventions in regional meetings across the states, usually on Saturdays. Only a handful used primaries. When the parties started moving more and more to primary elections, they saw the expense and suckered the Georgia legislature into paying for the primaries. This year we have to pay for two — the presidential primary in Feb. or March (I can't remember right now) and then the local primaries in July. If there is a run-off in July we may have to pay for three primaries. To me, it is wrong, wrong, wrong. :-(