Picture ID vital for voters

The U.S. Justice Department rejected South Carolina voter ID law as unconstitutional. They claim it discriminates against the poor and minorities.

I guess it should be unconstitutional for any check-cashing business and bank to require picture ID. I guess it should be unconstitutional for airlines to request picture ID before boarding a plane. By the Justice Department’s argument, the poor and minorities are discriminated against by these practices.

In certain European nations, it is required for all citizens over a certain age to possess a national ID. I know we are not Europe, but these nations must believe it is in their best interest to require citizens to have some form of picture ID.

Voting should be considered an important part of being an American citizen, and every step should be taken to ensure that those who are eligible to vote are properly identified. I am not naïve enough to believe that any voter ID program will prevent all voter fraud, but we should use the ID method to help combat it.

Politicians and civic leaders could work at the local level to ensure that all citizens have a valid picture ID to use for voting, banking or just about any other transaction in which we need to know who the person is.

George J. Weber

Augusta

robaroo
robaroo 12/31/11 - 12:55 am
Do you know how much it costs

Do you know how much it costs for each vote in a national election? Based on just the advertising, it is around $200. That doesn't count the full time propaganda TV.

You have to show ID to cash a $200 check. Shouldn't you be required to to show ID to vote?

faithson
faithson 12/31/11 - 04:09 am
believe that any voter ID

believe that any voter ID program will prevent all voter fraud, but we should use the ID method to help combat it. " why is it so hard to get across to these people that voter fraud is a NON issue by any and all standards out there. I understand the ID issue, but using 'voter fraud' as a motive is being disingenous

Techfan
Techfan 12/31/11 - 07:58 am
The last time I checked,

The last time I checked, cashing a check or boarding an airplane aren't Constitutional rights. Interesting that in SC you can register to vote online and "must attach a copy of a current valid photo ID or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address in this county." The voter fraud argument is bogus. If you vote in person, you're required to show a picture id. Vote absentee, and you can get away with using a utility bill. I wonder which party absentee ballots favor and which method makes it easier to commit voter fraud.

catfish20
catfish20 12/31/11 - 08:21 am
To me it seems people don't

To me it seems people don't mind showing their IDs to receive free items such as toys, turkeys, food, etc...but somehow have an issue showing that same ID to vote.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 12/31/11 - 08:33 am
Techfan: Your comments are

Techfan: Your comments are spot-on.

Do children who fly solo have to show a photo ID? Just asking...

Again, this is not about the need to ensure that voters are legitimate. I will gladly show my photo ID each and every time I vote. But if I were a cheat, and I am not, what’s to stop me from showing it at three different polling places? When a voter is 90 years old as one Tennessee voter, and has voted for more than 20 years and was denied the opportunity to vote recently because she can’t get a birth certificate to get a state issued ID, it is clear that the intent is to disenfranchise the voter.

After the 2000 presidential election debacle when the US Supreme Court declared that George W. Bush was the winner, the president had the DOJ to take an in depth look into voter fraud. Perhaps his reasons were self-serving in that he wanted to silence his detractors who said the election was stolen for him by his brother, Jeb. Nevertheless, the outcome of that investigation revealed that there was less than one percent of voter irregularities.

So, we know that voter fraud is not the real issue here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/11 - 08:35 am
Short and sweet. It's a very

Short and sweet. It's a very real possibility illegal Hispanics could be persuaded to vote for Democrats. That's the worry.

southern2
southern2 12/31/11 - 08:48 am
The reason it is so hard to

The reason it is so hard to grip the challenges to Voter ID is that the ruling is backwards and against fundamental beliefs of our founding. The order of power is suppose to be CITIZEN-STATE-FEDERAL not FEDERAL-STATE-CITIZEN. This is why it doesn't make sense.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 12/31/11 - 09:12 am
Truth Matters says: "If a

Truth Matters says: "If a voter has a utility bill to show, one can assume that the utility company has done some level of vetting to ensure that the individual lives at the residence where services are provided. So why can’t only a utility bill be adequate proof?"

Do you know how many accounts are opened using a stolen identity?

scgator
scgator 12/31/11 - 09:15 am
THIS REALLY CALLS FOR A

THIS REALLY CALLS FOR A REBELLION IN THIS COUNTRY BY ITS CITIZENS!!! There is nothing wrong with asking someone to prove they are who they say they are. EVERYTHING ELSE YOU DO PUBLICLY REQUIRES THAT YOU SHOW YOUR ID; First things FIRST........remove the liberal judges, get rid of judge "appointments", and if the US Justice system is going to hold state's responsible for accurate and fair election procedures, then let them do it.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 12/31/11 - 09:25 am
Can anyone explain why, after

Can anyone explain why, after eight years of republican rule in the White House, there is suddenly so much concern about voter fraud? During the years of President Bush's tenure, I never heard a peep about voter fraud at the national level. What changed?

It wasn't Acorn because we know that Mickey Mouse never showed up to vote!

allhans
allhans 12/31/11 - 09:35 am
Truth Matters. You would

Truth Matters. You would have a big problem trying to vote at 3 different polling places. The polling place has a list of those in the district and your I.D. need to match the registration chart.
To vote three times you would need to have 3 different sets of I.D. (2 which of course would be fake) and register in all three districts.
Trust me, trust matters, it is not that easy - not when I.D. is required.
It has been required in GA for past elections and with no complaints...check it out. You present a photo ID every time you vote in GA.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/31/11 - 09:54 am
Truth Matters, Louisiana

Truth Matters, Louisiana passed it in 1995 and and Indiana in 2005.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/31/11 - 11:02 am
I show mine everytime I vote.

I show mine everytime I vote. Does not matter to me because I think I should prove who I am and at the place where I vote no one seems to get upset.

RogerDavis
RogerDavis 12/31/11 - 11:10 am
If you aren't bright enough

If you aren't bright enough to figure out how to get and keep an ID (in some states they are virtually free), then maybe you ought NOT vote anyway.

Bruno
Bruno 12/31/11 - 11:14 am
Truth Matters, were you

Truth Matters, were you asleep during the Bush/Gore debacle? There was much talk of voter fraud then. There is no logical reason not to have to show ID to vote.

studmuffin1533
studmuffin1533 12/31/11 - 11:35 am
Let's just cut out all the

Let's just cut out all the jibber-jabber and go ahead and have a barcode tattoo placed on the back of the neck and a sub-dermal chip implanted.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/31/11 - 11:49 am
Stud, I wouldn't want a tramp

Stud, I wouldn't want a tramp stamp.

allhans
allhans 12/31/11 - 12:05 pm
Obama won in 2008 and Photo

Obama won in 2008 and Photo I.D. was required in many of the states that he won. Suppose there had been no restrictions on voting. He might not have won. I would have voted several times :)

allhans
allhans 12/31/11 - 12:06 pm
JRC..I agree, NO tats on my

JRC..I agree, NO tats on my body.

harley_52
harley_52 12/31/11 - 03:04 pm
I can think of only one

I can think of only one plausible reason why a political party would object to a requirement for voters to produce a picture ID after having announced the requirement well in advance.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 12/31/11 - 03:36 pm
What harley 52 said...only

What harley 52 said...only those wishing to benefit from lying and cheating.

Jane18
Jane18 12/31/11 - 04:02 pm
You hit THAT nail right on

You hit THAT nail right on the head, harley_52!!

specsta
specsta 12/31/11 - 04:11 pm
It would be so nice if we all

It would be so nice if we all lived in a world where everyone had plenty of money to go around, free transportation on our subways, trains and buses, free birth certificates, free IDs, etc. What a nice dream.

But these things cost money.

Most folks have the ability to place themselves in someone else's shoes - so it's hard for me to understand why folks think that EVERYONE in this country has extra money to pay for a new birth certificate and money for a state-issued ID. Shockingly, there are some folks in this country for whom $10 would take a meal away from their children or cause the electricity to be shut off. Folks with money do not understand this - hence, this push forward that anyone should be able to get a state ID.

Voting should be one of the easiest duties that we exercise as citizens. But those on the political right think it should be harder. By harder, they mean filter out the poor and the uneducated from voting.

And I think it is abhorrent that anyone would try to make it harder for the most neglected folks in our society to vote. There's a reason we have a Voting Rights Act, because of these sort of tactics from the Republicans and conservatives.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 12/31/11 - 04:31 pm
specsta, Wouldn't it also be

specsta, Wouldn't it also be ever so nice, if people didn't need rules and laws to force them into doing the right things?

As to money, people pay for WHAT they want to. It's priorities. If one is so extremely impoverished, have no fear, there would be a liberal sponsored government program to provide their ID. And hey, Bill Ayers, and Company will send the bus for them, too.

eagle
eagle 12/31/11 - 04:43 pm
Harley/Willow...well said!!!

Harley/Willow...well said!!!

harley_52
harley_52 12/31/11 - 04:54 pm
It's a red herring, Willow,

It's a red herring, Willow, as you well know. There's nobody too poor or too stupid to get a picture ID. Democrats want the ability to game the voter registration systems around the Country with imposters representing somebody they aren't (alive or dead) to inflate vote tallies in close races.

It's a tradition with democrats, especially Chicago democrats, and especially Union democrats. It's a lifestyle kind of thing.

allhans
allhans 12/31/11 - 05:20 pm
An awful lot of stores now

An awful lot of stores now ask for photo ID before processing a credit card. Thank goodness. I never fail to tell the clerk that I appreciate the fact that if someone stole my card they would not be able to use it at that location.

A potential voter can call any candidate and they will make arrangements for obtaining I.D. - and transportation to the polls. Try it, you'll like it.

specsta
specsta 12/31/11 - 06:42 pm
Title of User wrote

Title of User wrote "Honestly, I don't know of anyone who doesn't have photo ID...and I know quite a few people who aren't that well off that manage to have IDs. What is the big deal?"

Exactly, what is the big deal about NOT requiring an ID to vote? Forcing people to show an ID to vote is a solution in search of a problem. This rampant "voter fraud" as trumpeted by the right-wing cabal is non-existent.

GaStang22
GaStang22 12/31/11 - 07:10 pm
Most of the poor and

Most of the poor and minorities that have a problem with the ID to vote, sure have no problem proving who they are to get government assistance. They have no problem getting to the places to get the required documents or even finding a way to have said documents sent to them to get said assistance, they have no problem getting to the place to apply for assistance, so why cant they get the documents and get to a place to get an ID??? What is their real problem with having to prove who they are???? Nada!!! Just something else to complain about because they want to complain becuase they have to put forth a little effort and they arent getting anything in return on the spot! How fast do you think they would have this stuff if their assistance or benefits were cut off????? Do you think they'd protest and go without until a court makes a ruling or do you think they'd have it licky split??

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/31/11 - 07:21 pm
Gastaaaang ...I'll vote

Gastaaaang ...I'll vote for licky split!