Neighborhood goes to dogs

Our neighbors have two basset hounds. We cannot walk out in our driveway or back yard without the dogs howling, barking, growling and trying to get through the fence. They bark and howl incessantly, day and night.

We have asked the neighbors to calm the barking, but they say their dogs don’t bother anyone. We have contacted Columbia County Cares, the sheriff’s department and animal control. No help. The sheriff’s department will go talk to them, but nothing is done.

These dogs are so loud with their howling that they drown out the television. On top of that, their dog house is at the corner of our fence and the odor is horrible. These animals seem to be treated like livestock, not pets. I never see them walked or played with – just locked up in a small yard, hot or cold.

We always had such a quiet neighborhood that it was like living in a peaceful country setting. No more.

Can someone please give me a solution before I go mad? When did common decency cease to exist?

Linda Gregory

Martinez

madgerman
madgerman 12/28/11 - 09:09 am
And the answer is, about

And the answer is, about fifty years ago. Does anyone remember their neighborhood back in the 50s or 60s? If you do then you know the difference and why we have to lock everything at all times.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 12/28/11 - 10:31 am
benadryl

benadryl ??...........................

agustinian
agustinian 12/28/11 - 10:48 am
Lock and load?

Lock and load?

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/28/11 - 11:14 am
Offer to buy them the

Offer to buy them the training collars that stop the barking.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/28/11 - 01:23 pm
Columbia County has a quiet

Columbia County has a quiet time ordinance. Not sure about the hours, but I believe it starts at 11pm. Call and call and call complaining. Everyone deserves the right to have a peaceful home. I wouldn't put up with it for one minute. I stay quiet, and expect my neighbors to give me the same consideration. If they don't, don't be surprised when I call the police.

Chillen
Chillen 12/28/11 - 03:26 pm
I think there is also an

I think there is also an ordinance about continuous barking - even before 11pm. Sounds like some research needs to be done and you need to become the very squeaky wheel Ms. Gregory.

You could always spray your water hose at them to shut them up. Or you could set up a super bright floodlight system that goes on at 9pm - aimed directly at your neighbors bedroom or family room.

Also, if the fence wall they are using is yours (on your property), then simply tell your neighbors that unless the barking stops, you will remove the fence (costing them about $750 to replace that section).

Missing teen's body found in woods

Nicholas Charles Dunn, 18, missing since Friday, was found in the woods behind Cross Creek High School, according to a statement from Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen.