Help save Postal Service

It breaks my heart to see the U.S. Postal Service in such severe financial trouble. I have a computer, but I still mail my bills and mail lots of packages to help the USPS. They are a part of America’s history.

My mother once said computers were devils. I laughed, but she was wiser than I realized. Look at how many people have been put out of work and are still being put out of work because of computers. They should be for information, not for taking care of business such as paying bills.

People should step up and help save the USPS. Besides, where did the personal touch go? Write a letter to someone you love, not an email. They are worth it, and so is the USPS.

Delvia Streets

Augusta

Insider Information
Insider Information 12/27/11 - 11:50 pm
I agree computers shouldn't

I agree computers shouldn't be used for "taking care of business."

Computers are just a fad. They will come and go just like the cell phone.

Once we get tired of e-mails, we will be bringing the Pony Express out of retirement.

The Postal Service has just hit a rough patch. We need to fund it no matter the cost. Cut less important areas like Social Security and the military.

madgerman
madgerman 12/28/11 - 08:05 am
Maybe they ought to start

Maybe they ought to start charging for all the free items they have like boxrs, envelopes and tape. Or better yet, get out of the passport business, which should be a State Department project. They need to get back to what I remember as a kid, simply a place where you took a letter or package and sent it period.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 12/28/11 - 08:36 am
Sadly, this LTE comes too

Sadly, this LTE comes too late to save the Pony Express. And with the EPA on the prowl, smoke signals are a no-no.

avidreader
avidreader 12/28/11 - 09:07 am
The USPS has seen its

The USPS has seen its problems growing for years and years. Yet, the system kept fattening its payroll and expanding its services in an attempt to compete with UPS and FedEX. I'm still confused as to the identity of the USPS. Is it a private company or an aloof division of the federal government? UPS and FedEx are lean and cost-effective corporations, while the USPS remains cash-straped and bloated.

I understand that mailbox delivery and package delivery are two completely different services and that UPS and FedEX were never stupid enough to get into the mailbox business. However, the USPS should have taken on a different business model years ago -- one that would enhance their profits and productivity.

I feel bad for all of the postal employees who are going to lose their jobs, but the bottom line is, companies have to make a profit in order to survive. I only mail four or five letters a month. The vast majority of the mail I receive is junkmail. The computer age is engrained in our society, and we are simply going to have to accept this. It's fast and efficient, and I can contact just about anyone from the comfort of my livingroom. So it goes!

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/28/11 - 09:29 am
Let the gov't handle it and

Let the gov't handle it and run it. It does everything better!

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 12/28/11 - 09:33 am
LOL...

LOL...

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/28/11 - 09:39 am
For the life of me, I can't

For the life of me, I can't understand why people want to support obsolescence. Cut the postal service loose and let them compete on their own as a private business. Sink or swim.

Bruno
Bruno 12/28/11 - 09:42 am
Remember when you write that

Remember when you write that letter to use hand made parchment and a quill pen dipped in your own hand made ink. Don't use any of that newfangled store bought paper and God forbid a ball point pen. After all those people you love are worth it.

Chillen
Chillen 12/28/11 - 11:20 am
I'll help save the post

I'll help save the post office if they can deliver a package to me in less than one week (my last one sat in Oklahoma City for FOUR days).

I'll help save the post office if they can deliver the $100 birthday card my daughter had stolen by one of their employees.

I'll help save the post office if they can deliver bills to me in a timely fashion (I just had 2 of them from different companies show up together - postmarked......JULY?!?).

I'll help save the post office if they re-tool their pensions and generous benefit programs - models that are archaic and no longer work.

I'll help save the post office if they kick the demanding and taxpayer breaking govt union out.

willie7
willie7 12/28/11 - 11:58 am
I would like to see the post

I would like to see the post office survive. Although it has been semi- private for 20 years, Congress govern the policies. If the postmaster made the decisions, the post office would be self--sufficient. Congress want let him drop Saturday service because of the constitutents who want Saturday service. Plus the post office delivers mail and packages to rural towns and areas that Fed EX and UPS don' go. In fact, UPS and Fed Ex have contracts with the postal service to deliver their packages. I have always received good service from the post office. Mail service should be reduced to 4 or 5 days a week and i hope Congress will approve this proposal.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/28/11 - 07:38 pm
Fundamental_Arminian, good

Fundamental_Arminian, good points, guess PETA will pooh-pooh homing pigeons too?

scgator
scgator 12/29/11 - 07:05 am
I will agree, the USPS is

I will agree, the USPS is very much needed, and should be supported by us; however, knowing several people who have in recent years retired from the USPS; I have been told things like, "it's almost impossible to get someone reprimanded or fired for incompetence once they have passed their probationary period, irregardless of what they do or don't do."...."most of my day is spent trying to find something to do, my job duties are done usually in two or three hours; and I make almost $30.00 an hour as a supervisor".........and the ALWAYS classic.........."don't make waves, or you soon won't be here. Don't point out anything wrong or try to improve anything, as it will cause "others" problems up the ladder."
Yes, the USPS is a valuable asset, but with email, and electronic communications today...............we need to let them sink or swim on their own merit.

boats2c
boats2c 12/29/11 - 09:21 am
I recently attended a meeting

I recently attended a meeting in my hometown. Six execs were there, one of whom was flown in from Tx to open the forum, introduce speaker & carry a mic into the audience during question answer period. One gave a presentation that lasted about 15 mins & then he answered questions from audience while the others just sat there taking up space. I'm sure none came without being paid their salaries & I can only guess, per diem, mileage, etc. I can only imagine how much could be saved if only ONE exec attended these meetings especially if meetings are nationwide in cities where they are wanting to close the processing centers.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs