Collectors' image scrapped

After much publicity about metal thieves, I thought I would add my two cents.

Being retired and on Social Security disability, I am one of those “scrap haulers” you see running up and down the road. My issue is that local media seem to take the position that we are all thieves and up to no good. Not only does this give us a bad image, it also makes the public paranoid as if we were all thugs ready to rob them.

Making some extra money during the course of the month helps me out, and keeps me from having to become deeply involved in the number of welfare recipients. When I haul some scrap metal, I always get paperwork signed by the alleged owner or agent, and also take a digital photo of the individual to keep with my paperwork. This is only good common sense.

I’m just asking the media to reconsider just blatantly branding everyone so dramatically. It seems that they are only doing this to sell news and for the shock value of it. I would really love to see a story on someone doing this the right way.

William Miller

North Augusta, S.C.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/22/11 - 09:49 am
Mr. Miller, for everyone like

Mr. Miller, for everyone like you there are more of the other. Keep doing it the right way and put a business sign on your truck, get the propere license and credentials and you will set yourself apart like you seem to do. Keep up the good work and off the demenaing welfare rolls. Bravo to you for an honest days work.

burninater
burninater 12/22/11 - 10:35 am
If I were collecting

If I were collecting disability checks, I'm not sure that I would publicly identify myself as getting cash on the side in a business that requires heavy lifting and operation of a motor vehicle.

scgator
scgator 12/22/11 - 11:12 am
burninater............SSD

burninater............SSD will allow you to make up $720.00 per month without effecting your rating,; and I know this guy and he uses an electric winch on his trailer, so there is no heavy lifting. What would you have him do?.........sit in his rocking chair until he dies?? A major heart attack and stroke disabled this man, and while he cannot work "consistently" anymore, when he does feel good and get out and make a little cash to help buy food and pay utilities......then I say leave him alone; at least he is trying to keep from being a burden on the system. And for those who think he is because of being on SSD, he worked and "paid his due" for 47 years.

scgator
scgator 12/22/11 - 11:28 am
put a business sign on your

That all sounds well and good. IF you are a business; hauling scrap to the recycler once or twice a month hardly qualifies as a business. While it is true technically, it is not true practically. If the guy was making $400-$500 a week hauling every day, then yes he needs to be a business. As I said in another post, this man is a friend of mine, so I know him well. He will pay someone for a junk car ($3-400) and by the time he sells it at the recycler, he has profited $60-100 for his efforts. Not a lot for his efforts, but it keeps gas in the car, and extra money for his wife's medicine (she cannot get health coverage). With your philosophy, the kid in the neighborhood that cuts a few yards to earn spending money needs to also become a business; and what if your kids go over to help grandma to do a few chores and she PAYS them, then they ARE a cleaning business. All of this sounds ridiculous, and it is.....but, the point is that most of these things are often called "money making hobbies" and do not even come close to being stable or lucrative enough for business status. You figure someone who can make say, $200 on the side during a month; it will cost more for him to become a business, and will cost Richmond County more to try to keep up with than it is worth.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 12/22/11 - 09:07 pm
All HONEST small business

All HONEST small business like this should be given our respect and the bad guys run off.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/23/11 - 10:00 am
scgator. I am happy that your

scgator. I am happy that your friend can do this. The reason for the sign and license is so the police will not bother him. It sets him apart.As crime says he should have our respect and he certainly has mine. I do not like welfare or unemployement cheats anymore than the next person.