Occupy a job and succeed

My sons, ages 26 and 23, left home some time ago to join the “Occupy” movement. They didn’t go to an Occupy Wall Street site in some distant city. Instead, they discovered a new “Occupy” group.

They joined the “Occupy a Job” movement. One occupies a TV production job with a nationally ranked college football program. The other occupies an accounting position at a major medical university. According to their explanation, “Occupy a Job” is relatively easy, has many benefits and fulfills their desire to truly serve humankind.

To occupy a job, all you do is to wear your sharpest clothes, and with a positive, energetic attitude, visit every business in town. You introduce yourself, and inform the owner or manager of all the skills you possess and how, if given the chance to occupy a job, you will perform your best every day.

Also express a willingness to occupy any job the business is willing to share, because if you occupy your job long and work hard enough, you will occupy more important jobs. The greatest thing, though, is that you are serving others.

You may be serving people food, or greeting them at the door. You might help in building cars so parents can have transportation to take their children to school. You may even occupy a job at the school, where you teach children how to occupy jobs for themselves. You could occupy a job in a bank, giving home loans to people, or delivering newspapers.

The possibilities are endless. You will discover that people pay you for occupying a job. You don’t have to survive on donations or soup kitchens, because you can buy and prepare your own meals. Neither do you have to worry about living accommodations. You no longer have to occupy a tarp in a park, or your parents’ basement. You can occupy your own house or apartment, and live how you choose.

More young people need to join the “Occupy a Job” movement. Mine did, and are happy for it.

Robert Lyons

Evans

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/20/11 - 04:59 am
Good for yur sons Mr Lyons! I

Good for yur sons Mr Lyons! I think I'd change the name to Occupy an Occupation though. I like the sound of it.!

Techfan
Techfan 12/20/11 - 06:06 am
While improving, the job

While improving, the job situation in the US is that there are over 4 applicants for each available job.http://www.epi.org/publication/ongoing-lack-job-openings-means-jobs-unemployed/

TParty
TParty 12/20/11 - 07:23 am
With all the jobs so readily

With all the jobs so readily available, and endless, I wonder why unemployment rate is so high.

Chillen
Chillen 12/20/11 - 10:12 am
Excellent letter! Many of

Excellent letter!

Many of the OWS protesters could get a good job if they didn't have 15 tatoos on various visible body parts, multiple piercings in various visible body parts, dreadlocks or greasy hair and a "blame others" bad attitude.

A good job history would also help them - you know a reference from a former boss who says that the individual is reliable, has a good attitude, is hard working, trust worthy and friendly. Characteristics certain young people are seriously missing these days.

When jobs are scarce, only the best candidates find a job. Many young adults who have skated through life so far are finding that out.

Fortunately, some of our children have lived good lives and made good choices so that they are at the top of the employment pool. You reap what you sow.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/20/11 - 10:33 am
Nobody said jobs were

Nobody said jobs were endless, but they are out there. Ads in the paper every day. The question is, why are there ANY jobs available when we have all of these people claiming to be unemployed. Maybe it's because we keep extending unemployment checks and paying them not to work. If you pass out free money, a line will form to take it. I hear the farmers cannot seem to find any of these unemployed people when they need to hire folks to pick their crops. That's because they are all at home, watching cable TV, waiting on their checks and complaining about illegal aliens. Oh, I'm sorry, you only meant high paying good jobs. I know where there could be about 20,000 or more of those. And the project would have enormous positive economic impact when completed. But our president won't approve the shovel ready, EPA approved, State Department approved, Canadian pipeline for the sake of offending a few left wing greenie weenie voters. He had much rather keep paying those folks unemployment with our taxpayer dollars and also keep us buying as much Arab and Venezuelan oil as possible. We certainly don't want a guaranteed supply of oil from someone who is friendly to us.

KSL
KSL 12/20/11 - 10:50 am
My spouse, who had been the

My spouse, who had been the highest paid undergrad the company had hired ever, in 1969, got laid off in 1971. Partly in due to returning Viet Nam vets. Partly because they had a tendency to overhire. He had 2 weeks severance pay and 2 weeks unpaid vacation. And while our tax rate for the year of income was less, the Feds took double, based on him earning that much every two weeks. They are really greedy. Unemployed and needing the money, the Feds were penalizing us. No unemployment for him. No food stamps. He went to work for less than he had been making the next work day after his last day. His boss turned over his supplemental job teaching at Augusta Tech at night to my husband 2 nights a week, so we were able to cover the gap in income. My point is, that you need to do the right thing and fend for yourselves. Maybe I just don't understand the mindset of "I beat the government out of this money" mindset.

KSL
KSL 12/20/11 - 10:55 am
Tparty, you know the answer

Tparty, you know the answer to that question!

RogerDavis
RogerDavis 12/20/11 - 01:26 pm
My mom always told me, "Jobs

My mom always told me, "Jobs grow on trees if you are willing to work". This from a woman who raised four kids on minimum wage. Her point was that it may not be the job you WANT but it could be the job you NEED to get you by until you find something better.

Haki
Haki 12/20/11 - 06:53 pm
The writer sounds like my

The writer sounds like my parents. Retired, pension, collecting Social Security and think finding a living wage job is a matter of getting dressed up and applying. My grandparents think we should all farm for a living.

KSL
KSL 12/20/11 - 07:28 pm
Do you have a job? Haki, I've

Do you have a job? Haki, I've left two comments for you. You sound just like an occupy somewhere person. Do you not have a talent you can market and make a living or are you waiting for someone to just hand you something that you just lull you way through for pay?

KSL
KSL 12/20/11 - 07:31 pm
Haki, it sounds like your

Haki, it sounds like your parents and grandparents have the right idea. What's wrong with you?

Haki
Haki 12/21/11 - 11:27 am
Ksl, yes I am gainfully

Ksl, yes I am gainfully employed. As a matter of fact, I have 3 degrees, a full-time job, part-time job and work on contract. The difference in you and I is, I don't get fired up only when a subject affect me personally. The first thing you should do is really research OWS. Now where is your comment?

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...