Handle immigration properly

Gabino Sanchez, 27, from Ridgeland, S.C., faces deportation as an illegal resident after being arrested on a traffic violation. This story with front-page implications was on Page 5B of the Metro section Dec. 1 (“Legislator protests man’s deportation”). The future of our country will be affected by how these issues are resolved.

I have complete empathy for Sanchez. If I was young and poor, I would want to come to the land of milk and honey to make my life. Being in the United States for 13 years without incident is commendable. He probably is an ideal citizen that anyone would love to have as a neighbor: hard-working, tidy, taking care of his family’s needs, nondisruptive and so forth.

And if you think about it, most illegals, unless you catch them at the moment they cross the border, become hard-working laborers who have to hide below the radar to escape deportation.

Now add the fact that Sanchez has a wife and two children who are U.S. citizens. Can we really send him back to Mexico? Can we really send anyone else in a similar situation back to where they came from? My suggestion is to fine them, charge them a residency fee and exempt them from taxpayer benefits (food stamps, housing assistance, etc.).

If they want to stay in the United States, they would also have to pay estimated back taxes. For illegals who came forward on their own, the penalties should be less than if they got caught.

We have enough people who disparage our country that I would welcome with open arms – anyone who wants to live in our great country. The one concern is that our country has limited funds to help the needy, and newcomers should not place additional burdens on our capacity to remain a solvent nation.

This in no way suggests that our Border Patrol should be weakened. We must have complete control of access to our country. The use of returning military to aid in this endeavor could be a helpful solution.

We should stop illegal immigration at the source, and do it better than we have been doing, but be more understanding and flexible in our dealings with those who have already established themselves in our country. One day, they may be in the majority – and in charge!

Steve Saffron

Aiken, S.C.

copperhead
copperhead 12/11/11 - 11:51 pm
After 13 years of nonpayment

After 13 years of nonpayment of taxes or 13 years of using false id to work and/or vote. Yep,very commendable! AMNESTY!

KSL
KSL 12/12/11 - 12:10 am
Agree, copperhead. The writer

Agree, copperhead. The writer doesn't tell us how much freebie stuff he and his family got from us taxpayers while we taxpayers were picking up his tab for being here for those 13 years. Did he always pay their own medical bills, for example? Hey, were we educating his children for free? What other benefits did he enjoy? Perhaps he should pay for the price of the education of their children, their medical costs and what ever else expenses they have cost us, plus the cost to our ss and tax system. I'm thinking it's a lot more than he is going to want to pay in penalty. So, send him back them all back.

The real problem we have is the liberal laws around children being legal citizens. The Constitution never meant for people who sneak into this country and have children to have children at the age of 5 to be able to adopt their illegal parents.

hacimo
hacimo 12/12/11 - 12:40 am
Each year tens of millions of

Each year tens of millions of foreign nationals apply for permission to immigrate to the united states. Unfortunately we can only legally admit about 1.5 million of these people. Like disappointed shopper at a black Friday sale, the Green cards they ardently desire are in short supply and the line is long. Some of these disappointed individuals take it upon themselves to jump the line and disrupt the orderly process we have established for admission. These line jumpers are the so-called "illegal immigrants" that sneak into our country and avail themselves of amenities that others, the honest applicants who obey the rules, are denied. Those who propose amnesty for these illegal immigrants are essentially making a mockery of rules we ourselves have established. How can be expect people to wait patiently and accept the fact that there is no place for them when others are given a free pass? It cannot be! It is just not right! It is unamerican! We simply have got to treat all people who come knocking on our doors in a fair and impartial fashion. That means that illegal immigrants cannot be allowed to get any benefit from their illegal acts. They cannot advance there cause any more then someone who cheats on an exam can be given a higher grade that someone who plays fair but fails. Even if an illegal immigrant is very repentant and even if he or she is otherwise a very nice person, they still have to pay the price for what they did. That is the only way to be fair to the other immigrants. The american people cannot support a corrupt system that gives special favors to rule breakers.

KSL
KSL 12/12/11 - 01:03 am
Well said, hacimo. How on

Well said, hacimo. How on earth can we deny very well educated and productive immigrants in favor of laborers and pay unemployment to Americans? My husband got laid off in 1971. The company he had gone to work for had over hired. And they were having to take back Viet Nam vets. He had a job to go to the very next day. His unemployment benefits from his company lasted 2 weeks plus unused vacation minus the tax withdrawals as if he was making that amount of money during the same time period the whole year (about double the tax rate when he was losing his job. Where is the fairness in that, fed's?) We didn't apply for food stamps. He went to work immediately for a lower salary. That is the difference is us and the entitlement society. We climb back out of diversity on our own.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/12/11 - 02:32 am
He was not living a

He was not living a commendable life for 13 years.He was a lawbreaker for 13 years...Illegally in the country..fraud..I bet he never filed a tax return...I have no problem with someone wanting to better themselves or seek a better life for their family. When they start out in a criminal way they do not earn the right to any benefits this country has to offer...there is a huge difference between immigrant and ILLEGAL immigrant!!

desertcat6
desertcat6 12/12/11 - 02:56 am
If properly means legally,

If properly means legally, I'm with you. He could have returned to his native country at any time before or after marrying his US citizen wife and applied for residency depending on her legal status.

allhans
allhans 12/12/11 - 03:06 am
Can you stay in the country

Can you stay in the country that long with a work permit. How long are they for and how many times can you get them renewed? There has to be something like a social security number for him to be able to find work ..This entire thing makes no sense at all. A person comes here illegally, works illegally, evidently somehow got married here, illegally I guess, since he would have no proper papers. (His wife and child are citizens it says).C'mon now!.

What difference does it make if the child is a citizen. A child stays with their parents, a wife with her husband, and if that is across the border, then so be it.

seabeau
seabeau 12/12/11 - 07:45 am
Change the 14th Admendment to

Change the 14th Admendment to eliminate the "Anchor Baby" clause which was intended to include, all Negro slaves born in the US as citizens ,not children of foreign nationals.

david jennings
david jennings 12/12/11 - 07:51 am
While Sanchez can be called

While Sanchez can be called parasite, at least he sounds like a working parasite. I'm talking about the millions of Americans that were born in this country and will not lift a finger to take advantage of the land of opportunity. All I hear is how hard it is to find a job, yet every Hispanic, Asian, or any immigrant for that matter seem to manage to stay busy.
Not advocating illegal immigration, just saying I think we have a large group of Americans that are being quite a drain on the taxpayers. I wish we could deport some of them somewhere.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 12/12/11 - 08:06 am
You know what else we can do?

You know what else we can do? We can end corn subsidies, which not only contribute to American obesity and an unfair market, but also force illegal immigration by the toll taken on Mexican agriculture.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 12/12/11 - 09:28 am
Why is deportation considered

Why is deportation considered the most severe punishment allowable for illegal aliens? When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual to see signs like this on private property:

NO TRESPASSING
VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT.

It would've been absurd if the signs had read:

NO TRESPASSING
VIOLATORS WILL HAVE TO GO HOME.

That's not much of a deterrant.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/12/11 - 09:34 am
seabeau: “Change the 14th

seabeau: “Change the 14th Amendment to eliminate the ‘Anchor Baby’ clause…”

Bingo, give this post a cigar.

allhans
allhans 12/12/11 - 09:46 am
While watching the son and

While watching the son and heir of Warren Buffet on his tractor growing corn, my first thought was hm mm? I wonder how much he gets in ethanol subsidies from the government..must be something good that keeps him on a tractor when it isn't necessary.
It does make for a good photo op though.

allhans
allhans 12/12/11 - 09:56 am
I have posted this before but

I have posted this before but hdere it is, I know a young Mexican..well, maybe not so young now, about 35 years old who for 8 years had a "green card" to work. He worked wiring houses and sent as much of his earnings as possible back to Mexico for the support of his wife and 4 teenagers. During this time he applied for citizenship and received it. He is now an American, and guess what..He hasn't had a real job in more than a year. He went through a training program and got a job at Walmart but he didn't like it. He likes being outdoors.

What I see is a person who while an illegal was working and sending his money back to Mexico, then after the U.S. granted him citizenship he no longer finds working necessary...This is in ACworth GA

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/12/11 - 10:00 am
It is the American way,

It is the American way, allhans. Ain't America grand?

mangum
mangum 12/12/11 - 11:03 am
lets just add to the

lets just add to the situation, why is it that anchor babies are american citizens by origin of birth , instead of following the parents citizenship? ok so the way I also read the situation is that if the wife has knowingly married and harbored an illegal , isnt she too guilty of breaking the law. We have a right to have rules and laws and if you break them no matter how hard working, you must suffer the penalties, just as I would as an hard working, tax paying, american, the status of the persons citizenship only makes it worse if they werent suppose to be here,.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/12/11 - 11:34 am
Well, you are all correct.

Well, you are all correct. Now, if you really think you can deport 12 million illegal aliens, you should get in line behind the people who think we can pay off our $15 trillion dollar deficit by taxing rich people. Neither is possible, so now what you gonna do?

And I agree that illegal immigrants should not be eligible for welfare or free medical care. But consider this. We have MANY more home grown welfare professionals than illegal immigrants on welfare and nobody is this angry about them. They were raised in a welfare family and signed up for their own welfare bennies as soon as they became eligible....errr.....ENTITLED. You take a crew of them and put them in the back of a pickup truck and drive out to the fields. I'll take a crew of illegal Mexicans. I'll be eating peaches and radishes at the end of the day and you won't. And while I'm gone I can probably also get a roof put on my house and the lawn manicured. You, however, will come home with an empty pickup truck and probably some type of Labor Department complaint filed against you. I know this is not a popular view but I have much more respect for a working illegal immigrant than I do for some of our lazy, good for nothing, homegrown "citizens".

You want to make progress on illegal immigrants? Seal the border. Make illegal immigrants ineligible for welfare and free healthcare. That alone would probably cure most of the problem. Get the "anchor baby" ambiguity out of the 14th Amendment. Give the ones that want to work a green card and put them on the tax roles. Deport any that are convicted of a felony. Do the things that we CAN do and leave enough to pick the radishes because nobody here will do it.

madgerman
madgerman 12/12/11 - 11:41 am
Wow I have been misled or

Wow I have been misled or some folks don't realize how businesses work. First off, Who is responsible for deducting and reporting the taxes that Gabino supposedly didn't pay - I am sure that if he is a worker, the business didn't ask him to be the tax clerk. Now assuming the business owner didn't break the law, how did they pay his SSA and workers comp which the law says the owner is responsible for. I have two children that were born in foreign countries and they are U.S. citizens only because we have recripocal agreements with other governments concerning citizenship laws. I am sure that many retirees in the area and maybe posters have forgotten that. Bottom line is why don't we have a reward system and stiff penaltys for businesses that aaren't reporting SSA and other taxes as is required by law? If they are reporting ubder a different name and SSAN then the owner of that SSAN is reaping a gold mine for no reason. I just don't understand how workers would take the side of business owners in this discussion.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 11:45 am
Madgerman, what's that about

Madgerman, what's that about reciprocal agreements? One of my kids was born when we were overseas in the Army. He is an American because his parents are American, not because of any agreements with the other country. Right?

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/11 - 12:01 pm
I'm going to make a

I'm going to make a prediction. In spite of all the "let's get tough" talk I hear about the immigration problems we face, I'm going to predict that we will NOT solve them. The reason we won't is the very same reason we will NOT stop islamic terrorism and the very same reason we won't stop our drug problem, our entitlement problem, our spending problem, our public education problem, or any other serious problem we have facing us as a society.

There is a simple, one word reason we won't solve these problems.

Liberalism.

We are a society paralyzed by liberalism and political correctness. We lack the ability even to make difficult decisions, let alone institute and carry out difficult programs. We've evolved from a society of principled, hard working, God fearing, family loving individualists to a society of undisciplined, weak, indecisive, politically correct, nattering ninnies who cannot accomplish anything because nobody is either responsible or accountable for anything.

The only institutions we have left with any semblance of what we used to be still maintaining the American courage, dependability, pride, dignity, and trustworthiness of old are the American military. And I'm sad to say even our military is under attack from those who want to destroy us as the rest of society stands by and watches it happen.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 12:13 pm
Harley, I don't know if it's

Harley, I don't know if it's all the liberals or not. When I saw those thousand Georgia farmers at the meeting telling Deal to slack off because they needed the workers, I had an inkling things aren't as they seem.

sgmret
sgmret 12/12/11 - 12:17 pm
Well said, Harley

Well said, Harley

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 12:19 pm
RM, farmers are very liberal

RM, farmers are very liberal as a group. They are all on one kind of government subsidy or another. They would be right at home at an Occupy Wall Street rally.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 12:23 pm
LL, I don't know about that

LL, I don't know about that either. On TV one farmer was interviewed and he said they couldn't get anybody but the Mexicans to do the work. He said the goverment gave so much to other people that they wouldn't work. He sounded pretty conservative to me.

Realize what's happened. We have created a class of people that won't work to the degree, people from foreign countries will sneak in and do the work. WE have remodeled American capitalism in a bad way.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 12:24 pm
Riverman asked MadGerman: One

Riverman asked MadGerman:

Your child born overseas has what is known as "statutory American citizenship." Congress has written laws covering that situation. Now, that child cannot become president of the United States, because statutory citizenship is not the same as "natural-born citizenship."

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 12:25 pm
John McCain?

John McCain?

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/12/11 - 12:28 pm
Barack Obama? (just kidding,

Barack Obama? (just kidding, no hate mail please)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 12:28 pm
Regarding what the farmer

Regarding what the farmer said on TV, he left out the "rest of the clause," i.e., what would have made the farmer's statement accurate would have been the following:

"I can't get anybody but the Mexicans to do the work at the low wages I want to offer."

In a capitalistic system, it must take a voluntary agreement between the hirer and the worker. The illegal aliens have bid down the wage rates. Deport them and the wage rates must rise to attract legal workers.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 12:29 pm
John McCain was born in the

John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone which was U.S. territory before Jimmuh Cahtah gave it away.

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/11 - 12:29 pm
Riverman1 said "...I don't

Riverman1 said "...I don't know if it's all the liberals or not. When I saw those thousand Georgia farmers at the meeting telling Deal to slack off because they needed the workers, I had an inkling things aren't as they seem."

I don't need to tell you there's a difference between a symptom and a disease.