Society's violence rising

Your editorial “In defense of self-defense” (Dec. 7) was compelling. More compelling, however, were the 100-plus comments that followed in your online edition.

People are increasingly concerned about their safety, and rightly so. Crime is rampant is our fair city. Reports of murders, robberies and other crimes appear daily in The Augusta Chronicle. The Richmond County jail is filled to capacity.

I was shocked and amazed at the number who are carrying guns, something that I have never considered. Maybe I should, but I doubt that at my age I would be quick enough to draw a hidden weapon to deal with an attack, and would end up being shot with my own weapon. I will confine my weapons to my home.

What is causing this uptick in crime? Unemployment, certainly. Greed, too. The primary cause, however, is an entitlement mind-set in which we have our government paying babies to have babies. The babies are then cast into the streets as soon as they can walk to fend for themselves, and mama gets pregnant again.

It is a vicious circle, and as long as we have voters who send the same crowd back to Washington year after year, things will get no better.

We have an opportunity in 2012 to correct some of the problems, but my hopes for that are pretty slim. As long we have 47 percent of tax filers not paying federal income tax and have no skin in the game, the chances are slim that we will throw the bums out.

Carleton L. Duvall

Augusta

allhans
allhans 12/11/11 - 12:58 am
I agree Mr Duvall. When the

I agree Mr Duvall.
When the thugs are told that they have a right to what is yours, then this is what we get.

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 01:55 am
As do I. He was reared and

As do I. He was reared and reared his children the correct way, as was I and my spouse.

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 01:59 am
By the way, that 47 percent

By the way, that 47 percent is pretty stupid to drive taxpayers away. My husband has always said he would never retire. I don't plan to any time soon. But if the drain on us keeps climbing, we'll definitely retire and not pay the amount that seems to be needed from us at this point. We'll be on the receiving end. Now is that what those non payers want. I think not.

Adder
Adder 12/11/11 - 10:49 am
I sure hope some thug does

I sure hope some thug does not read this letter and jump you while you are outside and then takes the weapons from inside your house.

faithson
faithson 12/11/11 - 11:18 am
you guys are a trip... you

you guys are a trip... you blame all the ills of a growing population on the government's inability to keep YOU safe and find answers in Grover Norquists's 'make government small enough to drown in a bathtub'. You would abrogate the social contract of paying taxes and demanding efficient government for Anarchy, all for one and the one for self. Peace begins in the HOME, not at some government educational institution... Until we collectively start declaring that certain People are not 'functional parents' and thus dealt with, we can only expect the deviant behavior we see today to increase as the home life of the perpetrators devolves. No amount of 'taxing' or no taxing can forestall the coming chaos without an approach to not allow some to be parents.

Techfan
Techfan 12/11/11 - 11:32 am
There's trouble, right here

There's trouble, right here in River City....

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/11/11 - 11:49 am
“you guys are a

“you guys are a trip...”

Blast from the idiom past.

harley_52
harley_52 12/11/11 - 12:05 pm
faithson said "No amount of

faithson said "No amount of 'taxing' or no taxing can forestall the coming chaos without an approach to not allow some to be parents."

That's probably a true statement. The bleeding irony here is that faithson would probably be the last to admit the reason we have so many parents unfit to be parents in contemporary American society.

I'll give it to you in one word.

Liberalism.

Beginning in the 1960s when the ultra-left America haters and wannabe socialists/communists took over the Country and began their attack on Christianity and the family. Since that time the ultra-left has infected the public education system in the United States and legislated trillions of dollars worth of welfare assistance designed to pay people not to work, not to have two parent families, and for people on welfare to have as many fatherless children as possible.

We have trained generations of Americans that the Country owes them a comfortable middle class lifestyle simply because they were born in America. And there's a reason for all of this. None of it happened by accident. Now, almost fifty years after it all started, we're dealing with millions of people who are under educated, under trained, under achievers. People who lack both job skills and social skills. People from whom we must protect ourselves by arming ourselves at home and when we go out. People who roam the streets in search of drugs, crime, and something to pass the time they should be spending working and raising a family. People without a societal purpose but live at the public trough and to vote into office and keep in power the same group of politicians who've made them everything they are today.

Liberals.

yu nah ee tah
yu nah ee tah 12/11/11 - 11:50 am
My wife and I were robbed

My wife and I were robbed yesterday in Atlanta our first day there. Having planned to stay three days, we came home. They stole our peace of mind.

We thought it wouldn't happen to us. Our blessing is we are safe.

harley_52
harley_52 12/11/11 - 11:53 am
By the way....this is an

By the way....this is an excellent letter, Mr. Duvall, one guaranteed to encourage some spirited discussion.

harley_52
harley_52 12/11/11 - 01:15 pm
Yu na ee tah said "My wife

Yu na ee tah said "My wife and I were robbed yesterday in Atlanta our first day there."

Sorry for your misfortune. Glad you both survived.

Can you describe the robbers?

Were they armed?

How did they threaten you?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/11/11 - 01:33 pm
I know the letter writer

I know the letter writer well. We live in the same neighborhood and are exactly the same age. He has a little dog that he walks daily and so do I.
We talk often. He actually believes that everybody should go to school and get an education that prepares them for making a living. He also believes that young people should marry before starting a family. He also thinks that the government should put some restrictions on paying welfare to women who are having one baby after another. GEEZ. He really believes these things. Can you imagine that. He is so out of step with reality. Doesn't he realize that is what our taxes should be going for.

faithson
faithson 12/11/11 - 02:17 pm
@harley... left wing

@harley... left wing liberalism is just as ineffective to solving our social problems as right wing conservatism. Now if you can agree with this statement we can continue the discussion, otherwise your just another righteous opininator, looking to spew a gospel of the few, trying and I repeat trying to convince the many. I consider myself a progressive and a fiscal conservative although many of my friends do put me in the liberal category. You see I propose only two government funded births, after the second, birth control (state mandated)

harley_52
harley_52 12/11/11 - 02:35 pm
Faithson, I'm not at all

Faithson, I'm not at all surprised to see your solution is to have the government dictating family size. It's consistent with your views as I've seen them expressed on these boards. Doesn't it strike you as odd that you proposing the very same Government that has been paying people for having more and more children all of a sudden start penalizing them for doing just that?

What sort of (state mandated) birth control would you force upon them? Who would pay for it? Who would administer it? What would you do to them if they had a third child anyway?

You said "left wing liberalism is just as ineffective to solving our social problems as right wing conservatism. Now if you can agree with this statement we can continue the discussion, otherwise your just another righteous opininator......" That's exactly what I expected....'Agree with me, or we have nothing to talk about.'

Since I believe most of our societal problems result from liberalism and can be solved only through Conservatism I suppose we won't be having any discussions. I'll leave that up to you.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/11/11 - 03:24 pm
Faithson wrote: Now if you

Faithson wrote:
My response: The statement below indicates that Harley's comment is not trying to convince the many but the few. You have it backwards , Faithson. You and your fellow liberals are the minority.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s.

gcvrk6v1yky1kpfyiqjhvw

faithson
faithson 12/11/11 - 05:11 pm
@harley.. 'government

@harley.. 'government dictating family size', sorry for the misstatement, my wife took it that way too. What I propose is that when a new mother leaves the hospital and all her medical; pre, delivery and after care are paid in full by the Government there should be an inquiry into the women's status in life (social worker) to determine what support she has in bringing this new 'gift' who we all expect to be raised as a responsible citizen. If it is determined that she is being irresponsible with her sexual favors, the state thru a committee process can deem her 'sexually irresponsible' and demand she be on birth control until she can come back to the 'committee' and prove her competence to bring children into this world. Oh yea, the guy that got her pregnant will also enter the system and if found to be sexually irresponsible, aka 3 or 4 or more children by his doing he also should be chemically neutered... It's not about FREE children and getting more money from the state... it's about RESPONSIBILITY and consequences.

faithson
faithson 12/11/11 - 05:16 pm
to all... there are reliable

to all... there are reliable studies out there that indicate people who watch only fox news regularly are LESS informed of National and world events than people who DON'T even watch the news... let alone those who use different sources for their edification. Me thinks a lot of people on this board fall under the guise that they watch things because what they watch tells them 'what they want to hear'... pretty small world view by any measure.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/11/11 - 05:29 pm
faithson@ 4;11pm With all due

faithson@ 4;11pm With all due respects, that has to be the most ridiculous theory that I have ever read. Do you have just an inkling of the man power that such a program would require? Do you really feel that the state can control a woman's sexual conduct? Do you really feel that the state can legally neuter a citizen? Come on, even your fellow liberals won't support you on such a program.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/11/11 - 05:33 pm
Faithson, how about directing

Faithson, how about directing us to one of those reliable studies you talk about. I would like to review one. You know, the one that says those that watch FOX are not as well informed as those that don't watch news at all.

allhans
allhans 12/11/11 - 06:13 pm
I watch Foxs News on a fairly

I watch Foxs News on a fairly regular basis. My favorite program of the day is "Five at Five" on Fox. Good show, faithson should tune in sometimes.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/11/11 - 06:25 pm
I watch FOX because of all

I watch FOX because of all the good looking young ladies. They get my pulse all the way up to sixty even on a cold day. Don't knock it, Faithson, if you havn't tried it.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/11/11 - 06:55 pm
News Bunnies, Fox started it

News Bunnies, Fox started it but CNN closed the Bunny gap a couple of years ago.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/11/11 - 07:21 pm
Beyond Red vs. Blue: The

Beyond Red vs. Blue: The Political Typology

"With the economy still struggling and the nation involved in multiple military operations overseas, the public’s political mood is fractious. In this environment, many political attitudes have become more doctrinaire at both ends of the ideological spectrum, a polarization that reflects the current atmosphere in Washington.

Yet at the same time, a growing number of Americans are choosing not to identify with either political party, and the center of the political spectrum is increasingly diverse. Rather than being moderate, many of these independents hold extremely strong ideological positions on issues such as the role of government, immigration, the environment and social issues. But they combine these views in ways that defy liberal or conservative orthodoxy."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The New Typology: Ideological Extremes, Diverse Center

General public Registered voters

Mostly Republican:

Staunch Conservatives 9 11
(Highly engaged Tea Party supporters)

Main Street Republicans 11 14
(Conservative on most issues)

Mostly Independent:

Libertarians 9 10
(Free market, small gov’t seculars)

Disaffecteds 11 11
(Downscale and cynical)

Post-Moderns 13 14
(Moderates, but liberal on social issues)

Mostly Democratic:

New Coalition Democrats 10 9
(Upbeat, majority-minority)

Hard-Pressed Democrats 13 15
(Religious, financially struggling)

Solid Liberals 14 16
(Across-the-board liberal positions)

Bystanders 10 0
(Young, politically disengaged)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

faithson
faithson 12/11/11 - 08:35 pm
scooby.. ' Do you really feel

scooby.. ' Do you really feel that the state can legally neuter a citizen?' For a period of time after which the person can apply for re institution... Heck yea ! Believe me, most of us out here would like to see some sort of control on the out of wedlock, state paid for births by 'children' who have no control over their 'sexual instinct'... I am talking about chemical sterilization with a birth control device that can be implanted under the skin and works for up to 14 months, one of my daughters uses this method, keeps from having to stay up with so many pills. She can have it removed at any time by here Dr. and her fertility comes back.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/11/11 - 09:03 pm
Faithson wrote: Believe me,

Faithson wrote:

My response: Said like a true conservative.

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 11:17 pm
Here is the simple solution.

Here is the simple solution. Before LBJ and his Great Society. Female gets pregnant, it means there is an able bodied man who can work in the picture. He pays for child support. No ifs, ands, or buts. And the woman's existing kids are at risk, because there is now a man in the picture. Of course back then men were expected to be men and man up, earn a living. Now they are allowed all kind of excuses for not being able to, I guess to get those extra votes. At any rate, the illegitimate birth rate with no over the counter birth control was very minimal. Here comes LBJ with his don't punish the children attitude and he created generations of welfare kids. Even the grandparents and great grandparents have complained to me about how those kids were turning out.But that was then. Even they had a different attitude then about how there descendents should act.

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 11:14 pm
faithson, why do you allow

faithson, why do you allow two births? Can't one learn from a single mistake?