Coaching unsportsmanlike

I recently attended a girls’ basketball game at my alma mater, Harlem High School, against Greenbrier High School, and was appalled at what I saw.

I played basketball for four years at Harlem, then went on to play in college, and never in all my years of playing did I witness such atrocious behavior by a visiting coach. Whatever happened to ethics? When in high school did coaches start full-court-pressing a team while up by 30 points with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter? How could a coach, who appeared to be a grown woman, even fathom doing that?

It is hard enough for the girls of Harlem to endure another losing season, much less feel embarrassed by the fact that they couldn’t get the ball over half-court because of the full press being applied the whole game.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a competitor, and have no problem with a team winning by 20 or 30 points. But when a coach doesn’t stop pressing after this happens, I have a big problem. I don’t know if the coach for Greenbrier thinks she is legendary women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt and is trying to get a national ranking, but she needs to think of the young girls she is coaching against, and how they may feel.

Brooke Moore

Harlem

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/10/11 - 07:53 am
I'm with Ms Moore on this

I'm with Ms Moore on this one. Running up the score on a over matched opponent shows a lack of class.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 08:14 am
Girls' games should he half

Girls' games should he half court anyway. That would eliminate the problem. 3 girls on defense and 3 on offense. Neither group can cross the half court line.

But speaking of running up scores. when Chris Seagraves coached Evans baseball he beat Laney 66 to 0. Supposedly that was in revenge for Laney not showing up for an earlier game. So there's often a reason for a school to hang half a hundred as Spurrier says.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 08:19 am
If Ms Moore is the person I'm

If Ms Moore is the person I'm thinking about she played Columbia County Rec Dept ball and was a fantastic player. My son's 10 year old team played her team that was boys and girls and she was the best player on the floor, by far. We were all boys and she beat us single handedl almost. Heh.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/10/11 - 08:28 am
I wonder if the ole ball

I wonder if the ole ball coach was pondering the reason Auburn hung "half a hundred" plus on him last year?

allhans
allhans 12/10/11 - 09:01 am
Other than in baseball I

Other than in baseball I haven't seen anything resembling good sportsmanship in years.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/10/11 - 09:13 am
Don't get that comment

Don't get that comment allhans.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 09:16 am
Those who espouse

Those who espouse sportsmanship are never appreciated. I was a pretty fair high school football player who decided to use my future liberal arts education a little early and be a nice guy on the field. So when it came time to vote for co-captains all the seniors had to be voted on. I think I got two votes and they were both from JV players who had got called up and I must have said something nice to them once. On the other hand, I somehow ended up in the Drama Club because we had to take some kind of extra curricular thing. Those suckers voted me president of the club. That's when I decided maybe I wasn't cut out to play linebacker for Clemson....or Newberry for that matter.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/10/11 - 09:32 am
Sorry river and allhans, but

Sorry river and allhans, but I just have to disagree. I am around sports a lot and I see sportsmanship everyday. Maybe we have different definitions. I think the problem is, like everything in life, the "bad" is what always makes the headlines.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/10/11 - 09:33 am
Young Fred wrote: Did you

Young Fred wrote:
Did you know that in Aiken county, school children are UN-allowed to venture outside for recess if the temperature is above 90 or below 40?

Did you know that a “principal” or “vice-principal” can “outlaw” balls during recess because a “student got hurt by a ball”?

You are grounded Fred. I hate to have to educate you again today but that seems to be my lot in life.
They do these things, Fred ,because of liability concerns. If they send children out in the heat and ones dies of a heat stroke they are up s---
creek without a paddle. Some lawyers are waiting for something like this to happen. We have become a very litigious society and, therefore, schools have to be very careful.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 09:35 am
JTF, the chant for my team

JTF, the chant for my team was "Blood, blood, blood." But you know I'm a big sports fan, too. The fact is it keeps young people focused on good things during that high energy period in their lives.

I know my time playing football helped me throughout my life, especially in the military. I was able to do lots because I had learned how to be tough physically and mentally playing football. Same with you?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/11 - 09:41 am
Know what, something just

Know what, something just popped into my mind thanks to my excellent long term memory. I distincly remember crawling up a hill with my M-16 thinking I can make it because I PLAYED FOOTBALL....as the others slowed behind me. The experience helped me more than once in life.

Remember what the General said in WWII when the unit was having a hard time making it up the hill at Normandy. "Give me a West Point football player to lead the next attack."

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/11 - 09:50 am
This is what we need...more

This is what we need...more General Pattons

good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
George S. Patton

A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end.
George S. Patton

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood.
George S. Patton

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton

All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated.
George S. Patton

Always do everything you ask of those you command.
George S. Patton

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/10/11 - 10:00 am
River, unlike like you, I

River, unlike like you, I never served in the Armed Forces (draft lottery #264). Thanks again by the way for your service. But, sports has helped me in many other endeavors. It builds character. And, in my opinion anyway, teaches sportsmanship and fair play. Now, I am going to go demonstrate some of that on the course. Man, it's going to be cold. See ya later.

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/11 - 11:38 am
Young Fred said "Let's just

Young Fred said "Let's just all try to protect our children from any and everything that is difficult, uncomfortable, or ugly. Therefore they will be perfectly prepared for life."

Yeah. Let's not let them play outside, or explore the stand of trees a couple of blocks away either. Let's make them wear helmets, gloves, and pads on their knees, shoulders, and elbows when they ride bikes so they look like the Michelin man. Let's make them ride in special car seats until they're teenagers and keep safety rails on their beds until they're teenagers as well.

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/11 - 11:45 am
When I was still playing a

When I was still playing a fair amount of golf, sometimes for a fair amount of money, the last thing I wanted to do was make my opponent relaxed, comfortable, and at ease with the game. I wanted him upset, nervous, and shaking. I was polite and courteous at all times, but if the last thing I was worried about was his "feelings."

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/11 - 11:52 am
If the Harlem girls were

If the Harlem girls were expecting Greenbrier to slow it down and keep the score closer, the problem isn't the other coach, it's their own coach.

Poor babies. That mean ol' Greenbrier coach is the reason we got beat so badly. And those Greenbrier players, they should have had more compassion for us poor little Harlem girls. It's not our fault we're such a rotten team.

It's theirs. It's not fair for them to be good and for us to suck.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/10/11 - 12:14 pm
Read my comment again, Fred.

Read my comment again, Fred. I think you missed my point.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/10/11 - 12:38 pm
OK , Fred you are right.

OK , Fred you are right.

brookemoore333
brookemoore333 12/10/11 - 02:06 pm
Unfortunately none of you

Unfortunately none of you actually read what I wrote. I have no problem with teams winning by more 20 or 30 points. We did it on many occasions, but there is a way to go about winning this way. There is no need and will never be a need to press with 30 seconds left in the game and up by 30 points. If a team has only scored 10 points the whole game how do you expect them to score 30 in 30 seconds, hence the press is pointless and only shows a lack of ethics and common courtesy. And I also never said it was her fault for Harlem losing, they do that very well on their own. I was simply commenting on the fact, and call me old school, that no one who has any class would do what that coach did that night.

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/11 - 02:28 pm
brookemoore333 said "I was

brookemoore333 said "I was simply commenting on the fact, and call me old school, that no one who has any class would do what that coach did that night."

You expressed your opinion very well, Ms. Moore. I think it's actually unreasonable to assume "none of (us) actually read what you wrote." I did, for one, and I assume most others did as well.

I don't agree with your position. It's really okay for people to disagree with your opinion on the issue. What happened is history and some of us, including me, do not agree what the Greenbrier coach did in the game indicates she doesn't have "any class" as you have suggested. Some of us, also including me, might question the "class" of someone who would publicly make such a charge against the Greenbrier coach for winning the game so convincingly.

KSL
KSL 12/10/11 - 02:42 pm
Ok, Brook, you didn't say

Ok, Brook, you didn't say whether the first string was in the game or the third. That makes a huge difference, don't you think?

Bruno
Bruno 12/10/11 - 02:56 pm
Which is more insulting,

Which is more insulting, playing the game at the best of your ability or "dumbing down" your game for those that can't keep up?
A rising tide raises all boats.

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/11 - 03:09 pm
Personally, I think there's

Personally, I think there's probably another side to the story. There usually is, you know. These sorts of things usually happen because one side feels the other side has given them good reason to wipe the floor with them. Maybe comments from the coach, maybe a history of the same treatment in reverse, lots of possible reasons.

I'm not willing to admit the Greenbrier coach is without "class" or really deserves all the comments Ms. Moore threw her way without knowing the rest of the story.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/10/11 - 06:15 pm
I have read Ms. Moore's

I have read Ms. Moore's letter and all of the comments that followed. Ms. Moore is wrong and so is each of the posters. Girls should not being playing basketball it is a boy's game. Girls are too short to play basketball. On top of that girls should be in HOME EC. classes learning how to sew, knit, cook and keep house so that they can serve the men that they marry. The next thing they are going to want to do is vote----
Oh, I guess that they can do that already. Shame.

KSL
KSL 12/10/11 - 10:05 pm
LOL, scooby. Back when I was

LOL, scooby. Back when I was in high school, it was thought that girls couldn't run the full court because it was damaging to girls. 3 guards played defense and 3 forwards played offense. None could cross over the center line. (2 3 on 3 games going). I never took home ec. My father wouldn't let me. Consequently, when I got married, the year before I graduated from college, I didn't know how to cook, a bone of contention with my future mother-in-law (who didn't exactly do the cooking in their home until my husband was in high school). She actually said something about it in my presence. My husband to be promptly told her, "She can read" meaning I could read a cookbook.