Law-abiding citizens? Hardly

In a debate among Republican presidential hopefuls, at least two of the gentlemen referred to peaceful, productive illegal immigrants as “law-abiding citizens.”

Duh. Is it just me, or are these folks, by definition, neither abiding by U.S. law nor citizens?

Maybe some of our politicians need a sincere reality check!

George R. Clark Jr.

North Augusta, S.C.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/08/11 - 07:46 am
Nope, it's not just you Mr.

Nope, it's not just you Mr. Clark, if they are illegal immigrants, they are neither "law abiding" nor "citizens".

Jane18
Jane18 12/08/11 - 09:32 am
"illegal immigrants as

"illegal immigrants as law-abiding citizens", isn't that an oxymoron? Anyone know who the "hopefuls" are that said this? I'm sorry Mr. Clark, the only reality our politicians know is that little world They live in. Out here where you and I are, they consider it a fairy tale world, we really don't amount to a hill of beans in their minds. When I say fairy tale world, I mean it in a negative sense. They have no concept as to how hard it is for most families. Not only do they not know, they do not care!!

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/08/11 - 09:50 am
Here is just part of the

Here is just part of the problem, politicians can't even call a duck a duck. People who've broken the law once, but have kept their noses clean since, are hardly law abiding. And the last time I checked, these people came here from elsewhere, and haven't been sworn in as citizens, ARE NOT CITIZENS!! You can't even call them illegal anymore. The PC term is "undocumented." I heard a new term the other day, "unauthorized." Yeah, I'm laughing too.

faithson
faithson 12/08/11 - 09:54 am
wait now... Repubs have

wait now... Repubs have elected a Governor that was under investigation for corruption.. now the National party may want these same repubs to vote for a President who was 'convicted' of corruption in congress... Pleeeeeaaaasssse tell me your interest in the criminality of undocumented immigrants should not be directed at the 'criminality' of certain politicians.

Bruno
Bruno 12/08/11 - 10:40 am
Faithson, Newt was never

Faithson, Newt was never "convicted" of anything. He was sanctioned and fined $300k by the House Ethics Committee. There were no criminal charges. If you are going to make charges and allegations at least get the wording correct.

Jane18
Jane18 12/08/11 - 10:45 am
The "criminality" of anyone

The "criminality" of anyone disgusts and angers me, everyone should know that about me by now. I have absolutely nothing good to say about anyone that is guilty of breaking, distorting, and/or most of all, using our laws for their benefit, be it financially or personally.

Bruno
Bruno 12/08/11 - 10:49 am
Jane18, you have a problem

Jane18, you have a problem with someone doing something allowed by the law to better themselves and their financial situation? If I am allowed by law to use a mechanism that allows me to keep more of my own money, why would that bother you?

faithson
faithson 12/08/11 - 11:00 am
critique taken bruno, good

critique taken bruno, good point.. just the same, deviant behavior.

harley_52
harley_52 12/08/11 - 11:04 am
faithson said

faithson said "Pleeeeeaaaasssse tell me your interest in the criminality of undocumented immigrants should not be directed at the 'criminality' of certain politicians."

The democrat former Governor of Illinois gets sentenced to the slammer for fourteen years for multiple counts of corruption just yesterday. There in prison he'll join another Illinois Governor of Illinois already in prison for corruption and will soon be joined by the man with whom the democrat President of the United States made a very suspicious real estate deal, recently sentenced to 10 1/2 years.

In the entire history of the United States only two Presidents have ever been impeached. Both were democrats.

With all those crooked politicians (and more) on your side, faithson, I'd think you'd try to avoid discussions about crooked politicians.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/08/11 - 11:19 am
All I know is Blago is guilty

All I know is Blago is guilty because of the way his hair looks and Hermain Cain did in fact mess with all the women because of the pimp hat he wears. Some things are obvious.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/08/11 - 11:31 am
river..You are killing me

river..You are killing me this am....LOL..LOL

I hated that mop of hair too.....hope they shave it in prison..

harley_52
harley_52 12/08/11 - 11:55 am
Riverman, seriously....do you

Riverman, seriously....do you think Blago's sentence was fair and reasonable in comparison to other sentences you see handed out?

I don't.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/08/11 - 12:03 pm
Harley, I guarantee you if it

Harley, I guarantee you if it had been me, I'd have gotten a haircut before standing before that judge. But, seriously your observation is astute if you are thinking like I think you are.

Blago did no more than what every single politician does. He just had this brazen way about him. He laid the cards on the table and said I'll give you this political favor for that one. You look at the campaign contributions some of our locals get and it makes you want to puke. It's so obvious.

Blago is a weird different sort and that just makes everyone think everything he did was worse. It's funny how some politicians who just look so authoritarian are hands off. Law enforcement and prosecutors don't go after them. Blag was bizarre and vocal. Everyone wanted to lock him up just because.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/08/11 - 12:05 pm
I think it was fair

I think it was fair harley.....the man tried to sell a Senators seat tothe highest bidder....someone who could make laws-change laws--things that make or break our nation..who could give a rats hiney about the USA....I hope they shave that mop on his head & put his ugly butt with some real jerks...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/08/11 - 12:08 pm
Jerks like Blago make me want

Jerks like Blago make me want to upchuck...lies-lies-& try to act like he was working for the common man...:(

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/08/11 - 12:11 pm
SeenIt, my fair lady, he is

SeenIt, my fair lady, he is no different than the others, by your own admission he just makes you sick. There is something about him negative. I felt if from the first time I ever saw him on the news. Did he deserve all that time...Nope.

harley_52
harley_52 12/08/11 - 12:11 pm
Yes, I see it the same way.

Yes, I see it the same way. What he did is what goes on all the time and most any governor has probably done much the same. His big problem was that it was Chicago politics he ran up against and Obama politics. He was destined to be the "fall guy" from the start and his weirdness and cockiness just made it more fun for everybody.

They always say it isn't the crime that gets you, but the cover up. That's true in spades for him. If he had started talking and naming names from the very start things would have gone far differently for him and for others.

I doubt we've heard the last from him because there are a lot of people interested in what he knows and some pretty powerful folks who don't want to see him talking.

When you can rape a child and get a lesser sentence than someone involved in good ol' boy politics, something is askew with the system.

harley_52
harley_52 12/08/11 - 12:19 pm
seenitB4 said "I hope they

seenitB4 said "I hope they shave that mop on his head & put his ugly butt with some real jerks..."

I'm with you on that. And I'm not condoning what he did, either. It was a violation of the law and he should be punished. My point is that they ALL should be punished, every crooked politician in the Country. But the aren't. Jesse Jackson Jr, Rahm Emanuel, Valerie Jarrett, and Barack H. Obama are four still escaping charges in this case. Beyond this case, I'd bet the selection process for most replacement Senators resembles this case to one degree or another.

And fourteen years is a very long prison sentence when we see violent criminals, even rapists and manslaughter convictees getting shorter prison sentences.

I just think he was a scapegoat who took a fall because he was so easy to dislike everybody kinda wished he would (take a hard fall).

Chillen
Chillen 12/08/11 - 01:09 pm
Here is what Blago was found

Here is what Blago was found guilty of. 17 different things. He was one busy little dude.

Count 1 Wire Fraud -- Solicitation of Children’s Memorial Hospital GUILTY
Count 2 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 3 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 4 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 5 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 6 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 7 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 8 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 9 Wire Fraud – Solicitation of racetrack executive GUILTY
Count 10 Wire Fraud – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 11 Attempted Extortion -- Solicitation of U.S. congressman no verdict
Count 12 Attempted Extortion – Solicitation of Children’s Memorial Hospital GUILTY
Count 13 Bribery – Solicitation of Children’s Memorial Hospital GUILTY
Count 14 Conspiracy to Commit Extortion – Solicitation of racetrack executive GUILTY
Count 15 Conspiracy to Commit Bribery – Solicitation of racetrack executive GUILTY
Count 16 Attempted Extortion – Solicitation of construction executive NO VERDICT
Count 17 Bribery – Solicitation of construction executive NOT GUILTY
Count 18 Extortion Conspiracy – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 19 Attempted Extortion – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY
Count 20 Conspiracy to Commit Bribery – Sale of U.S. Senate seat GUILTY

Chillen
Chillen 12/08/11 - 01:11 pm
Back to the letter. Who were

Back to the letter. Who were the 2 Republicans? It would have been nice if the author had named them.

harley_52
harley_52 12/08/11 - 01:14 pm
Chillen said "Fourteen years

Chillen said "Fourteen years seems appropriate. (though he'll only do about 3 and perhaps less than one if obama doesn't win re-election, I smell a pardon coming for him. Chicago thugs protect their own.)

Somewhere I heard/read that because it's Federal time, he'll have to physically serve 85% of the 14 years (about 12 years).

I agree....if Obama is defeated it will only be about one year with a pardon.

allhans
allhans 12/08/11 - 02:32 pm
It possibly had something to

It possibly had something to do with Gingrich saying that if an illegal has been living here for 25 years as a law-abiding citizen..not his actual words but something like that.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 12/08/11 - 02:40 pm
Eric Holder, Attorney General

Eric Holder, Attorney General of the United States says he is not lying or misleading Congress about Justice Department corruption and illegal actions during Operation Fast and Furious because in his mind he "didn't intend to lie or mislead Congress".

Maybe Blago should have used the same logic.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/08/11 - 02:42 pm
14 years is a pretty harsh

14 years is a pretty harsh sentence in my opinion.

Brad

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/08/11 - 02:47 pm
I've got a soft spot in my

I've got a soft spot in my heart for crooks that are open about it.

"You want Obama's Senate seat, give me something. I've got a gold mine here." LOL....is he a trip or what?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/08/11 - 02:54 pm
Jon Corzine should go to

Jon Corzine should go to jail. He said he doesn't know where the billions MF Global lost is. Corzine was paying Bill Clinton $50 thousand a MONTH to advise MF Global. This is going to be one of those cases where they are too big to go to jail. Shoot, Blago looks honorable in comparison.

allhans
allhans 12/08/11 - 03:17 pm
I agree with that. What a

I agree with that. What a mess.

Now the AG Holder before Congress and he was asked why, with all the e-mails sent to them, not a single one was issued by Holder himself.
The hearing on Fast and Furious is going fast and furious.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/08/11 - 03:50 pm
Maybe slick willie has the

Maybe slick willie has the billions?

happychimer
happychimer 12/08/11 - 07:58 pm
This is a case where an

This is a case where an illeagal should be allowed to stay here.

allhans
allhans 12/08/11 - 08:09 pm
The young woman should have

The young woman should have long ago applied for citizenship. I continue to wonder at the people that are said to be illegal, that they work and pay taxes, yet they can't possibly be eligible for a social security card..
Then you hear story after story of those who are claimed to have lived in this country and been self-sufficient, tax paying, law-abiding citizens for years and years and years, but no explanation of how they managed this.
If they are using a fake SS card then they are law-breakers.
Sorry..I just don't get it.