War on Christmas is real

If the fundamental bases from which we think are faulty, our conclusions will be faulty. Shayne Felberg’s letter “There’s no war on Christmas” (Dec. 4) is a good example. After stating there is no war on Christmas, she proceeds to call Christmas a myth.

Then she contradicts herself even more by saying that Christmas should not be celebrated in public institutions such as schools or by governments – yet these two institutions are doing much of the battling against Christmas.

The First Amendment to the Constitution reads: “Congress shall make no law (get it, no law) respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” The statement is clear! But the liberal judges who passed this rule of “church and state” were confused as to what this statement meant, because their fundamental basic thinking was faulty – or was it a personal agenda they were following, like attacking Christians and perhaps Christmas? Forbidding the manger scene comes to mind.

Getting back to Christmas, if it is a myth then the whole Jewish nation is a myth, because the story of Christmas began in its history when God promised them a Messiah would come, and He is Yeshua.

As far as America being a Christian nation, look up the preambles of several states’ constitutions and you will find that the people give thanks to God for His blessing upon their states.

Marry Christmas, everyone.

Gil Ward

Evans

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/05/11 - 10:57 pm
I swear you guys will make a

I swear you guys will make a mountain out of a molehill. Why aren't you writing letters about American boys in a REAL war than this mythical fight you keep whining about?

TParty
TParty 12/05/11 - 11:36 pm
What exactly is christmas? Is

What exactly is christmas? Is it the celebration of Jesus being born? Does anyone think it's weird that Jesus was born on the 25th of December? Well, a 1 in 365 chance isn't too far fetched I suppose... I just think it's weird that it coincides with the popular pagan solstice holiday, especially with the Cult of Mithras who also celebrate the birth of their infant god of light on the very same day.

Besides, it's weird that gospel of Luke tells us that shepherds were tending their sheep in the fields when Jesus was born. In Israel at that time, shepherds stayed outside from approximately June until November....

There is so much taken from other holidays and attributed to Christians Christmas, it's fascinating. For instance, Saturnalia is a roman holiday which gave us the gift-giving aspect of Christmas. It's because of the Asheira Cult we have Christmas trees. Has any Christian read Jeremiah 10:3, where it says 'For the practices of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.'

From my understanding of english, that would be mean no trees, since it's worshiping idols...

My favorite is that Santa Clause, also known as Bishop Nicholas of Myra in Lycia, died circa 345 ad and then was sanctified roughly 1500 years after his death, was strongly promoted by Coca-Cola to increase sales. With how much money was spent last black friday, I think corporations are amazing at marketing.

I just bring this up because there is no war on Christmas, and if you really want to put the Christ in Christmas you have to get rid of everything you call ‘Christmas’ and sit there praising Jesus in the dark without any gifts.

Or you could just have a merry Christmas and realize how ungodly this holiday is.

Techfan
Techfan 12/06/11 - 03:23 am
"Getting back to Christmas,

"Getting back to Christmas, if it is a myth then the whole Jewish nation is a myth," Jews celebrate Christmas?

soldout
soldout 12/06/11 - 06:14 am
The real point is Christ is

The real point is Christ is real and was a real person. His spirit lives in those who follow Him today. They have power that the non-Christian does not have. This causes fear in the non-Christian. The non-Christian has to have enough faith to believe in a creation with no creator. The non-Christian is in a struggle their whole life because they have an empty part that only God can fill. Anything that might make Christ real scares them so bad they fight it at every turn. Strong Christians are a threat to their sinful life style ( can we say Tim Tebow). I just don't have the faith of a non-Christian and don't want the stress of it in this world or the consequences of it in the world to come. Make Jesus number one in your life, let the Bible be your reality, feel His un-conditional love and you will never regret it. Now that you have read this and know; you are without excuse. God made sure someone told you and I just did. He loves you enough to die for you and you only are required to live for Him. What a good deal that is and the power and authority of being a king's kid comes in real handy in your daily life. He also said He enjoys showing you things that will be unknown to the non-Christian. He said He would meet all your needs and His spirit (the creator of the universe) would live inside you showing you all things that are needed for peace and joy. Okay non-Christians offer someone a better deal than that.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 12/06/11 - 06:29 am
for all of you who are

for all of you who are attacking the premise that a war on the christian christmas does not exist i marvel at your rant and raves about this subject. you all are sure touchy about this...if there is no war your responses would be different or it would be a non-topic.. but the truth is there is a war on christianity. and techfan if you do not see the connection between christ and the jews i am sorry...so please do not try to explain something you do not understand..

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/06/11 - 06:37 am
What’s not to like about

What’s not to like about Christmas? It’s the most Liberal hippy holiday of the year:

Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men

A Christmas Carol: sour and stingy Ebenezer Scrooge's ideological, ethical, and emotional transformation from anti-empathetic conservative to bleeding-heart liberal; the whole story is an indictment of nineteenth century industrial capitalism.

It’s a Wonderful Life: can there be any doubt about Henry F. Potter’s political affiliations? Or for that matter, the idealistic George Bailey, who puts people over profit?

Miracle on 34th Street: Santa sends Macy’s shoppers to other stores if Macy’s doesn’t have what the child wants; thus hurting Macy’s almighty profit margin. The judge that saves Kris is a Democrat, while the prosecutor is a Republican. Good old Kris Kringle is saved from a declaration of mental incompetency by a big government agency Republicans love to hate – the U.S. Postal Service.

Fred Gailey: “Your Honor, every one of these letters is addressed to Santa Claus. The Post Office has delivered them. Therefore the Post Office Department, a branch of the Federal Government, recognizes this man Kris Kringle to be the one and only Santa Claus.”

Judge Henry X. Harper: “Uh, since the United States Government declares this man to be Santa Claus, this court will not dispute it. Case dismissed.”

Think of the old Andy Williams song: “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year”. Now replace those words in your head with:

It’s the most hippy time of the year…

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 06:50 am
Western Christians first

Western Christians first celebrated Christmas on December 25 in 336, after Emperor Constantine had declared Christianity the empire's favored religion. Eastern churches, however, held on to January 6 as the date for Christ's birth and his baptism. Most easterners eventually adopted December 25, celebrating Christ's birth on the earlier date and his baptism on the latter, but the Armenian church celebrates his birth on January 6. Incidentally, the Western church does celebrate Epiphany on January 6, but as the arrival date of the Magi rather than as the date of Christ's baptism.

The pagan origins of the Christmas date, as well as pagan origins for many Christmas customs (gift-giving and merrymaking from Roman Saturnalia; greenery, lights, and charity from the Roman New Year; Yule logs and various foods from Teutonic feasts), have always fueled arguments against the holiday. "It's just paganism wrapped with a Christian bow," naysayers argue. But while kowtowing to worldliness must always be a concern for Christians, the church has generally viewed efforts to reshape culture—including holidays—positively. As a theologian asserted in 320, "We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of him who made it."

Most Christians realize that December 25th is not the actual date of Christ's birth but it is the day we celebrate and worship Him. Christians tried to put a positive aspect on a pagan holidy in hope of coverting some to Christianity and save them from an eternal death in Hell. IMO, it's more important that we worship and honor Him, than when. As the last statement says we hold this day Holy because of Him who made it.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/06/11 - 07:40 am
I will be A.W.O.L today.

I will be A.W.O.L today. Hopefully , I will see you tomorrow.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/06/11 - 07:06 am
lol about the fear

lol about the fear part...once again a christian judges...wow I'm shocked...not!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/06/11 - 08:15 am
I love Christmas so much I

I love Christmas so much I think I'll marry it!
Actually I love the whole Christmas season. The movies, food, friends, music, football and a million other things.
Personally there's no other feeling like Christmas morning.
As far as gift giving goes I do it but I've always believed that aspect of the holiday should be mostly about the kids.
Arrrrrgggg! I can't stand Christmas trees. We never get one. I don't believe in cutting down a tree and dragging it into my house. We do have a Cypress tree that we bought about 5 years ago and planted in a big pot. It's close to 5' tall now. We decorate it. (no tinsel or anything else that doesn't come off easily)

I don't know if there is a war on Christmas because I never really thought about it.
I try to stay out of religious debates because no one ever wins unlike debating my wife when we both know who's going to win. HER!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 09:34 am
Iwannakno, soldout is not

Iwannakno, soldout is not making a judgement, she's only stating how she see's things. I tend to think God probably makes a large majority of non-believers as well as believers, uncomfortable. I believe that God has placed a longing in everyone's heart for God but some choose to ignore it, some have hardened their hearts to the point they no longer feel it. It is similar with believers, we are not perfect people and most times we do a good job of ignoring His will. Only difference between the two, believers have the blessed forgiveness from their Father when we fail, and the love and mercy to help us get back on our feet, nonbelievers don't and unless they first come to Him and accept Him they never will. So if you find it humorous for soldout to use the word fear, maybe uncomfortable would be a better analogy.

allhans
allhans 12/06/11 - 10:29 am
bj...We already knew that

bj...We already knew that filmmakers are mainly liberal but even a conservative can enjoy the show.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/06/11 - 11:54 am
allhans, teacher says

allhans, teacher says everytime a bell rings an angel gets his wings.

kmb413
kmb413 12/06/11 - 01:53 pm
Tparty, all he presidents

Tparty, all he presidents weren't born on Presidents Day either.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/06/11 - 02:26 pm
I'm not uncomfortable with my

I'm not uncomfortable with my beliefs at all. I am, however, uncomfortable sharing them publicly because of the stigma christians heap upon you for not following their beliefs. The joy I have is I allow you to believe whatever you choose to believe and believe you to be a good person no matter what your beliefs are. I find that very rare in the christian faith. If you are a honest person you would admit that much is true.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 04:30 pm
Iwannakno, I never said you

Iwannakno, I never said you were uncomfortable in your belief. I said God makes some uncomfortable. If you don't fall into that category, that is for you to decide. Yes, I can admit there are those who are believers that go about sharing the Christian faith by the wrong means and end up offending those who do not believe but the issue of whether a person is good or not does not come into play where eternal salvation is concerned. According to Christ, none of us are good. It is only by His Grace and Mercy we are saved and have forgiveness when we do mess up. No one is perfect because of sin. You can be the best person, kind, considerate, giving, and still spend eternity in Hell. That is usually the point some try to make, although there passion for the lost can sometimes end up doing ill instead of showing the way.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/06/11 - 04:34 pm
Well on that we agree. I am

Well on that we agree. I am sorry that some christians judge others so harshly that any door they could open to someone that is wavering on their beliefs is slammed in their face. It's really sad to see someone that belongs to a religion that preaches love to show so much hate. Present company excluded. You have a nice day.

OJP
OJP 12/06/11 - 04:49 pm
Ah yes, the War on Christmas.

Ah yes, the War on Christmas. Two points I make every year:

(1) No one is trying to remove the Christian version of the Winter Solstice from anyone's life. But a healthy separation between church and state makes both institutions stronger and more focused on their respective purposes.

(2) This holiday IS NOT exclusively Christian. The Christians simply co-opted the celebration of an occurrence that has been celebrated by human beings for millennia: the Winter Solstice.

I don't mind "Happy Holidays", "Merry Christmas", or anything else (coming from a non-governmental individual or entity). This season is about our shared humanity, regardless of religion. But please, Christians, do not try to take this holiday from me, when it was not yours to begin with - apart from the accepted name, there is very little that is uniquely Christian about Christmas.

OJP

OJP
OJP 12/06/11 - 04:43 pm
@kmb413, No one celebrates

@kmb413,

No one celebrates President's Day as if it is the birthday of all our Presidents. However, most Christians celebrate Christmas as the actual date of Christ's birth. Big difference.

OJP

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 04:44 pm

Thank you Iwannako, and likewise, I am sorry that some non-believers judge most Christians in the same fashion (presently company excluded). We are all human and none of us are perfect so we should try and look beyond the faults of each other and live together the best we can. My only consulation is this isn't my home, one day for me it will get better. You also have a nice day and please do not take offense, but a very Merry Christmas.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/06/11 - 04:55 pm
None taken and I use the

None taken and I use the greeting myself. It is, after all, still a time of family and giving and togetherness no matter your beliefs :)

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 05:16 pm
"do not try to take this

"do not try to take this holiday from me, when it was not yours to begin with - apart from the accepted name, there is very little that is uniquely Christian about Christmas"

Do holiday's belong to anyone?? Very little uniquely Christian about Christmas? Evidently you have not spent any time within a Christian church this time of year honoring the birth of our Lord or been in the homes of Christians when they explain to their children the wonder joy of a Savior being born and what it means to the eternal salvation of His people. Evidently you do not know what Christmas actually means to Us, so how can you say there is nothing uniquely Christian about this time of year?

OJP
OJP 12/06/11 - 05:24 pm
InChristLove, Well, yes...

InChristLove,

Well, yes... religious specific holidays belong to members of that specific religion.

I was raised in Church (Southern Baptist); my entire family is still extremely religious. So you are wrong to assume what you did.

And those two things, i.e., the name and the celebration of Jesus' birth, are the only two exclusively Christian aspects of Christmas I can think of. And if the celebration of Jesus' birth (and all that comes with it, as listed in your post) is removed from the holiday, it looks almost exactly the same.

OJP

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 05:45 pm
And what did I assume OJP? I

And what did I assume OJP? I was questioning your statement not to take this holiday away from you.....I simply questioned does any holiday "belong" to anyone. Who owns the rights to that particular day...do you, do I, does anyone else? Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I'd say the day belongs to the creator of the day. It's neither yours nor mine to take away from anyone.

Well OJP, if you remove all the aspects concerning the birth of Christ from Dec. 25 then I would have to disagree. It may look exactly the same to YOU but it sure wouldn't look the same to ME or any other Christian.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 05:51 pm
OJP, had to go back and

OJP, had to go back and reread your comment. I can only come to the conclusion that if you have been raised in a Christian home and attended church, but appears that you are either a non-believer or a Christian who have strayed away from the Lord, I can see where you would think there is nothing unique concerning Christmas from a spiritual standpoint. It is only through a relationship with Christ that you would understand the true meaning of Christmas and the uniqueness that goes along with the celebration.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 06:06 pm
The uniqueness of a virgin

The uniqueness of a virgin birth
The uniqueness of being man and God
The uniqueness that everything He touched he utterly transformed.
The uniqueness that due to His birth we measure time differently
The uniqueness of His life, death, and resurrection
Truely sad that you can not find anything unique about the birth of a Savior and the time we celebrate this magnificent event.

OJP
OJP 12/06/11 - 06:19 pm
InChristLove, Well of course

InChristLove,

Well of course the Christian version of Christmas would look and feel different if Christ were taken out of it... that's not what I'm saying.

The traditions that make up Christmas (e.g., Christmas tree, mistletoe, gift-giving, candlelight, yule log, wreaths, family and friend togetherness, celebration of life) would be the same had Christ never been born.

That's my point. Apart from the name and the religiousness (for Christians), Christmas would look almost the same without Christ.

OJP

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 06:40 pm
OJP, LOL!! Without Christ

OJP, LOL!! Without Christ there would be no Christmas (none of us would be here)

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/06/11 - 07:28 pm
Who is “booda”? When did the

Who is “booda”?

When did the continent of Africa unite into one country?

Obama’s birth certificate has State of Hawaii acknowledged provenance, did that change recently?

Just asking.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/07/11 - 12:07 am
Just goes to show for every

Just goes to show for every good christian, like ICL, there are the ones, like pitchfork, that show why we are allowed to believe whatever we want. That Delta plane works both ways...for those that think you should believe as they do or leave.

Thanksgiving burns injure 8

Eight people have already been admitted to the Joseph M. Still burn center for cooking related burns this Thanksgiving.