Fight to save post office

At 6 p.m. Dec. 6 at Rocky Ford City Hall, the U.S. Postal Service will dispatch a “post office review coordinator” to town to look at us and consider our review as to their decision of closing our 142-year-old post office.

Can you imagine that?

The post office has lasted through dim lantern lights, no Ma Bell, the mule and plow, the horse and buggy, General Sherman and his buddies, boll weevils and kudzu. Now here we are, all modern and computerized, and Congress and the U.S. Postal Service can’t keep one historical post office open.

The Postal Service says this is necessary for its budget. The cause of all this is simply incompetence and hard-handed politics and it sucks because the potential closing of more than 3,600 small-town and rural post offices would save a whopping 1.2 percent of their multibillion-dollar operating budget, while they are paying out $5.5 billion annually to the “future” pension plans for the unions. Without these future pension plan payments – which were forced upon the Postal Service by our brilliant Congress – all this would be unnecessary.

After four months of perseverance and determination to find the facts, the truth – when you get it – is ugly as homemade sin.

However, in true Southern defiance, we folks shall stand against Washington and their big ideas. Their actions are simply going to hurt folks and they don’t seem to care. We are still waiting for a return call from our congressman. Washington and Congress don’t care that our Mr. C. is legally blind and can’t drive, nor has a computer like President Clinton and his sidekick Al Gore said we all had to have. Mrs. H. feels comfortable behind the wheel for a few blocks but not on a 20-mile stretch for a stamp. Mr. L. can’t sign a check because he doesn’t have a bank account. He handles his bills with money orders from the post office.

These bureaucrats don’t have a clue as to distance or our way of life down here. They haven’t been here. They don’t care.

So, as this battle continues, on Dec. 6 I hope and pray with all my heart that everyone who does read this newspaper will get up off their “convenient position,” and come and join this town in the fight and let your voices be heard or just your presence be known – for citizens everywhere who are seeing their precious traditions threatened and, in many cases, removed.

Greta Newton

Rocky Ford

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 12/02/11 - 07:16 am
what part of broke do we not

what part of broke do we not understand??????? i feel the govt. should subsidize the horse drawn buggy industry. after all it has great historical importance.. no, all things must come to an end as technology forces change thru cost and manpower..why dont you good residents ask for the building and keep it up thru private donations??? if we cant shut down obsolete post offices how will the country ever get a handle on its major debt ridden programs...sorry i love history and the past..but all things must eventually end if there usefulness is no longer there..

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 12/02/11 - 07:36 am
This office has an huge, deep

This office has an huge, deep impact on the life of this community but the heartless "let's lessen big" government folks only care about their bottom line!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 07:40 am
Rocky Ford I feel your

Rocky Ford I feel your pain....but some things will change....a fewer days of service maybe....some offices will close...I agree not all use computers & especially older folks depend of the local POFC..we still need it...I'm hoping they will find away to open small offices inside big stores..maybe grocery-drug stores...banks..
They still get a lot of business from me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 07:41 am
Onlysane1left, I wish we

Onlysane1left, I wish we could give everyone a government job or better still, just give everybody money, but something tells me, it won't work.

We don't need any post offices these days. I'd close all of them. We have instantaneous email and faxes. UPS and FedX can handle the rest. Pay as you use it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 07:49 am
SeenIt, for older folks we'll

SeenIt, for older folks we'll make a little fake mailbox that has a printer inside hooked up to the internet and let them walk out to it every day to get their mail.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 07:57 am
Ok river....funny... The post

Ok river....funny...
The post ofc won't fade away overnight ..Thank goodness....it will change....many don't pay bills over the net......
Kinda amazing that we accept some give-a-ways from giverment but willing to say byebye to postal employees w/o a second thought.....you know my connection & I know how hard some work....

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 08:02 am
Another thing......now that

Another thing......now that I'm thinking........some don't realize how hard ot is for older folks to get around.....going to their mailbox saves them many car trips--gas--help to travel...
I know some & a trip to the store is a luxury....we would have many needy elders if the pofc goes bellyup...

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 08:05 am
I do know postal workers work

I do know postal workers work incredibly hard. They are all very polite, too. I used to have a business PO Box at the one on Wrightsboro Rd and went there everyday. The people were super. I was going in Walmart the other day and the greeter looked familiar to me. I asked him how I knew him and he reminded me he used to work in the post office. These are the kind of people I'd find other jobs in government for. Dedicated and responsible people. It's just that the technology has left them behind.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 08:12 am
Onlysane1left, I wish we

You are right river......we are too busy giving them free lunches-school--college---homes--food---meds---phones---& medical visits---hey....
why not green backs too....we could just throw the bills in the air at the courthouse & let winner take all...
What we are doing IS NOT WORKING------it hasn't for 60 years....we are making it easy to be LAZY..
Will a candidate come to the scene & tell the truth ....he might be surprised just how many would vote him into office!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/02/11 - 09:04 am
Riverman! said: SeenIt, for

Riverman! said:
My response: Thanks , RM1, but i will pass. I have my own little wireless printer set up in my family room. I appreciate the thought though.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/02/11 - 08:17 am
onlysane1left said: This

onlysane1left said:
My respose; The bottom line is your federal income tax bill.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 08:19 am
Scooby, Sir, you are NOT old

Scooby, Sir, you are NOT old in any way. Mature.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 08:20 am
scooby....I'm sure river

scooby....I'm sure river didn't mean you......you are 1 of a kind..:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 08:23 am
SeenIt, about is there a

SeenIt, about is there a candidate who will tell the truth about our spending. Yep, Ron Paul. The problem is he is about as exciting as a ride up I-20 to Atlanta.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 08:24 am
BTW...Does Fedex or UPS have

BTW...Does Fedex or UPS have a little box at the end of your driveway....nnaahhhh...& it ain't gonna happen either!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 08:27 am
Ron Paul would have us blown

Ron Paul would have us blown to bits in his 1st year.....he scares the beegees out of me.....I'd rather have you in the WHouse!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/02/11 - 08:30 am
Just yanking your chain, RM1,

Just yanking your chain, RM1, something my friends say that I am good at.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 08:32 am
scooby....heheheh...I like to

scooby....heheheh...I like to yank his chain too!!!

Some days he NEEDS a good yanking!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 08:38 am
If I were president, talk

If I were president, talk about change....Ha. I'd start dropping bombs over half the world, build a border fence that looks like Mt Everest to see if they could climb over that sucker, make the Treasury hand me every dollar they print so I could see where it was going before I passed it out. I'd also make anyone getting a dollar say thank you.

If you think Iran was scared when Ronald Reagan was elected and they let the hostages go, put me in office and the Ayatollah will turn Southern Baptist fast. He would come on TV and try to prove he was Southern Baptist by handling snakes or something he would be so scared. I'd bomb him anyway for being so dumb...that's Pentecostals, dummy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 08:42 am
RM...Keep talking like that &

RM...Keep talking like that & you will be our next President....write in ...hey...you just got all the good-ole-boys votes....:)

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/02/11 - 09:02 am
The ticket should be RM/Paul.

The ticket should be RM/Paul. They seem to have similar ideas. I would have a hard time, tough, staying awake to vote for Paul.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/11 - 09:06 am
Paul, wouldn't bomb anyone.

Paul, wouldn't bomb anyone. If I were his VP I'd find away to invoke the provision of the VP taking over if the President is incapacitated. I wouldn't wake him from his nap then tell everyone he was in bad shape, I'm in charge, ala Al Haig, and start bombing that half the world that messes with us.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/02/11 - 09:32 am
No Paul would sit back & let

No Paul would sit back & let them bomb us....we know the man has 0 chance of getting on the ticket....noway-nohow...sorry to all the Paul lovers but the man won't make the WHouse..
Trump has a better chance.

The Post Office is here to stay too.....I'l bet my pennies on that!

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/02/11 - 09:37 am
Ms. Newton, respectfully, all

Ms. Newton, respectfully, all change is difficult. When cars began showing up on the road, I'm sure horse & buggy folks saw it as a threat to a great tradition. But you can't stop change, and E-mail has overtaken snail-mail(post). Its faster, cheaper, and more efficient. Furthermore, the losses that the USPS is experiencing every year can't be allowed to continue. When the postal service charges the same to deliver a letter across country as it does across town, something just isn't right. Does it cost them the same to deliver those letters? No. Change must come, and the future of the USPS depends on how they adapt to that change.

allhans
allhans 12/02/11 - 09:43 am
I can sympathise with the

I can sympathise with the letter writer but it has already happened to many others and yet we manage to carry on.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/02/11 - 09:43 am
Read my lips RM, I wrote a

Read my lips RM, I wrote a RM/Paul ticket. Where I come from that would mean you as Pres and Paul as VP. I choose Paul for his small givment and isolationist stance

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/02/11 - 09:44 am
I feel the anguish of the

I feel the anguish of the letter writer, but perhaps the citizens of Rocky Ford should take a drive over to Harrison (Washington County) to see how they get along without a post office.

Now, I'd like to get on my soap box. The USPS has hinted that they will petition Congress to change to five-day delivery instead of six. Of course, they intend to drop Saturday delivery. I have a better solution: Keep Saturday delivery, but drop Monday delivery. There are so many Monday Federal holidays that no one would know the difference!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/02/11 - 09:46 am
A good candidate for Post

A good candidate for Post Office closure would be Tarrytown (Montgomery County). They're only four miles from Soperton; they can buy their stamps there.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/02/11 - 09:51 am
Better still, LL, they can

Better still, LL, they can buy their stamps on line as I do

follower 12/02/11 - 10:05 am
Rocky Ford, Ga. Population

Rocky Ford, Ga. Population 186 [year 2000] with 78 households.

Along highway 17, there are little towns every 5-10 miles that are about the same size, and each one has a post office. While it may be inconvenient, they certainly have to travel to Millen or somewhere like that to shop for groceries. They can pick up stamps and mail a letter there.

To staff a post office with even one person cost not a nickel less than $50k per year, not counting the physical building itself. 186 people can't begin to buy enough stamps to cover it.

Four days of delivery is plenty. Consolidate all of the small towns across the country. We have no money!!! The letter writer CHOSE to live in a small town. The cost of a quiet surrounding is that you will have to travel to buy groceries and yes.....stamps.