Parents, feed your children

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal wrote in the Nov. 24 Augusta Chronicle about his concern for childhood hunger in Georgia and across America (“Georgia steps up with initiatives to ensure no child is hungry”). Many others have brought up the topic, and there are ads on television asking for donations to feed America’s hungry children.

I guess people believe children really are carried to us by storks, so after the stork flies away, there is no one to feed the children. Actually, children must have a mother and a father to get here. Those two people produced a child, and those two people are responsible for feeding, clothing and rearing that child into becoming a responsible, resilient person who is capable of taking care of himself or herself.

Unfortunately, life isn’t fair, and there are children who are born with special needs or with parents who are struggling to get by. Such children deserve our help – but not millions of American children. The millions of hungry American children are the result of both parents not doing right by their own offspring. They know it. You know it. Deal knows it.

But instead of moms and dads feeling the pressure of society to feed, clothe and rear their children, our government taxes all citizens to collect money to do for the children. This is wrong. You know it. All moms and dads know it, too, because all parents know they are responsible for the children they bring into this world.

The fact that so many moms and dads don’t rear their children is because they know Uncle Sam will collect money from taxpayers to rear their children for them (taxpayer-paid school lunches, welfare, food stamps, subsidized housing, paid child care, etc.).

If Deal and the rest of our elected government representatives would enact policies (not taxpayer-paid programs, but actual policies!) that promoted moms and dads raising their offspring together, there wouldn’t be millions of hungry American children to worry about feeding.

Steve R. Smith

Grovetown

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/01/11 - 01:24 am
Very good letter Steve. It

Very good letter Steve.
It really is sad isn't it. I can't understand how a parent could let their child leave the house for school hungry. I don't want to hear maybe they're poor. If you have a cell phone and your child is hungry get rid of the cell phone. If you have a dollar for a cup of coffee on your way to work then skip the coffee and feed your child. If you have cable TV yet your kid has to eat grits for supper then watch network programs. On and on and on.
Selfish, lazy and a bunch of words not fit for a family newspaper.
Like you said Steve the two people who produced the child are responsible. One problem is babies having babies. Another one is a woman with six kids and every one has a different father.
The country has no more morals and TV even promotes it. Everywhere you look it's sex,sex,sex. Garbage in=garbage out.
I'm not looking down on these people from my Ivory Tower. I have my morals though and you can bet your rear end that it will be a cold day in Hades when one of my kids goes hungry because I was too busy to make sure their basic needs weren't met.
As you can see this is a pet peeve of mine. When my kids come home and tell me of one of their friends not having enough food I always tell them to bring them here and I'll feed them. In fact I tell them to tell their friend if they are ever hungry to come by and I will feed them. If I have to feed 100 kids a day I'll find a way.
Again good letter Steve!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/01/11 - 07:16 am
Shrimp, you are a good father

Shrimp, you are a good father and your comment was spot on the mark.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/01/11 - 07:56 am
Great comment , Shrimp.(I

Great comment , Shrimp.(I love your moniker.) It is obvious that you are a caring and loving person.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/01/11 - 08:06 am
Two services that are

Two services that are provided by the state for families today are free transportation for most school children and free lunches for most children. When I was a child we got to school the best way we could. Transportation was only furnished for those that lived too far from school to make it on their own. Also, we had metal lunch boxes that moms filled with a sandwich, a fruit and a drink. This was during the great depression but somehow parents saw to it that their kids were fed. Why can't they do it today?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/01/11 - 09:02 am
Thanks ICL and Scooby. I'm

Thanks ICL and Scooby. I'm very passionate because there is no reason for a child living in this country to ever go hungry. It breaks my heart.

Scooby I missed the depression by almost 30 years but the same was true for me when it came to getting to school. I could ride my bike or walk. It was only about a mile but it was uphill both ways! hehe Actually it was Charleston so it was flat. I too had a metal lunchbox with pretty much the exact same meal.
Why have things changed so much in such a short amount of time?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/01/11 - 09:27 am
shrimp for breakfast, things

shrimp for breakfast, things have changed fast, faster than I would have once thought possible. The liberals in this country have demanded more and more entitlements. I came from a large family and my father didn't earn a high income, but we always got by just fine. I didn't find out until I was an adult that we had pinto beans, stewed potatoes and cornbread one night a week to save money. It was my favorite meal, LOL. My parents paid their bills, filled their cars with gas and bought groceries before they did anything else. Any extra wants came after the needs were met.

Maybe Gov. Deal needs to set up a new program. Let it be courses taught by volunteers about how to be self-sufficient. Teach these people how to grow gardens, buy groceries efficiently and cook at home from scratch. You can make 2 gallons of tea for what it costs to buy one cup at a fast food restaurant.

I also like your generosity shrimp. I myself have donated food many times to those in need, truly in need. If you have big screen TV's, x-boxes, smart phones and fake nails you're not in need, just have your priorities messed up. Charity should come from the heart, not the government!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/01/11 - 09:29 am
Shrimp said: Why have things

Shrimp said:
Why have things changed so much in such a short amount of time?
My response: The rapid growth of liberalism.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/01/11 - 09:30 am
By the way, bring back Home

By the way, bring back Home Ec classes (for boys and girls) I learned quite a bit from my 8th grade Home Ec teacher and the skills are still with me. That was longer ago than I like to mention ;)

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/01/11 - 09:32 am
scoobydoisback said, "The

scoobydoisback said, "The rapid growth of liberalism." That is the answer in a nutshell.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/01/11 - 09:32 am
Augusta citizen. It looks

Augusta citizen. It looks like two great minds have come together on the answer for Shrimp.

Dudeness
Dudeness 12/01/11 - 09:32 am
This country does not have

This country does not have millions of hungry kids who the parents cannot feed. It has millions of sperm&egg donors who know how to work the system. We are having our first child in April and I find myself offended every time someone tells my wife that she should go fill out the forms for different types of government assistance (without any knowledge of our financial status) as if I am unable to care for my own child. We make decent money and can cut back in some areas if needed, but this is what people are teaching each other. There are not that many people going hungry. They just now how to work the system to get more freebies and it is taught to them by their friends, relatives, and coworkers. People no longer look to these programs as being need-based. They think they are entitled to it simply because it exists and their friends have it. When did having a baby stop being about parenting and start being about "free money"?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/01/11 - 09:35 am
scoobydoisback, High-Five!

scoobydoisback, High-Five! :)

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/01/11 - 10:25 am
Congratulations, dudeness on

Congratulations, dudeness on the upcoming birth of your baby. It is a shame that more young people don't share your attitude.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 12/01/11 - 10:50 am
While some will take this

While some will take this letter to slam programs aimed at people who are impoverished, I will take a higher road. Scooby mentioned a time when children brought lunches in metal boxes, I remember that also, but I remember it being a time where one parent was home and the other as, usually, she prepared lunch for everyone who left the home. In today's financially fueled world, there are very few one parent working homes, and if that is the case, that home is usually struggling finanically. Stating the rise of liberialism as the main cause of too many children on free lunch programs is an horribly easy out. Keeping up with the Joneses, materialism, apatheic/absent parents, and improper training as parents are some reasons why children are not being fed and raised properly.

Now, there are programs that are out, funded by the government, that don't check the vaildity of the applicants. They are mostly, understaffed or poorly trained and this is a reason why there are so many people who program don't deserve to be on them. The free lunch program is one. Also, there are horror stories of abused children staying in homes that are malnourished and neglected. Yet, if you look at the budget of government child services departments, it can not support the workers needed to cover the children that are in the system. This problem of too many kids on free lunch plans is bigger than liberialism, and the causes are a lot more diverse.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/01/11 - 11:54 am
Well okay, maybe a little

Well okay, maybe a little more than liberalism, guess it started when the Industrial Revolution kicked off and convinced people to become consumed by consumerism. When people became convinced that they had to have so much junk, both parents had to start working to keep up with the Joneses. Now society is in debt and can't pay for the basics cause they're chasing the wants.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/01/11 - 12:05 pm
Dudeness, congratulations on

Dudeness, congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child!! Wishing good health for your wife and baby!

allhans
allhans 12/01/11 - 12:08 pm
In the midst of this we have

In the midst of this we have parents who DO care for their children, that feed and dress them well, send them to good schools. In return the kids make their parents proud.

My way of saying how grateful I am for the good things.

Vito45
Vito45 12/01/11 - 12:14 pm
A first good step would be

A first good step would be for the mother to name the sperm donor, test him to prove it, then hold him legally accountable for support. If she refuses, then no money from the state.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/01/11 - 12:16 pm
onlysane left: you make some

onlysane left: you make some excellent points. I guess the question remains, what can be done to better the system. Those of us that fund these programs (taxpayers) see these programs as an out for irresponsible parents. There is where the burden always falls when people do not hold up their end. Those that complain about the abuses are accused of being heartless because children are involved. Sadly, the children are victims along with the taxpayers. Rather than debating the causes we should be debating a cure.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/01/11 - 12:38 pm
allhans wrote; In the midst

allhans wrote;

AMEN: I am blessed with those kinds of parents in my family.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 12/01/11 - 02:36 pm
It's not the same in each

It's not the same in each case, but you have the right idea. There are those of us who don't get social security from the dead father because he never went to sign the birth certificate. You don't get child support from the mother because she'd have admit responsibility then or do like normal and just not work. No family support from mother or father's side of the family. No state money to feed or clothe the child because we're not "foster parents". But, the judge awarded custody. Then when you want to adopt the child that you love so much you have to go through all this red tape...to make sure the "mother"? has been given her right. In my opinion...she took this childs rights the day he was born and she couldn't care for him....and all the times she didn't see him, didn't call....but she has rights. We take care of him and love him and he sees us as his parents...but we have NO rights.

allhans
allhans 12/01/11 - 02:50 pm
Did anyone see the link

Did anyone see the link Austin posted regarding the woman with 15 children and 3 baby daddies...nothing new, but a classic example of what is wrong.
It's a 10 min video clip... Tampa Fl
Homeless Woman With 15 Kids Demands More Government Assistance

Bruno
Bruno 12/01/11 - 02:53 pm
On the other hand you have

On the other hand you have the recent issue of a third grader in Cleveland being removed from the home and placed into foster care because the mother didn't do enough to help the child loose weight. The third grader was 200+ pounds.
It is weird to me that the US has the fattest poor people on the planet.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/01/11 - 03:02 pm
Onlysaneoneleft I agree with

Onlysaneoneleft I agree with scooby that you bring up some excellent points.
You also say that you, me and scooby of the metal lunch box gang probably had one parent in the home while one worked. You would be right in my case. But...My dad worked and ALSO made my lunch in the morning until I was old enough to do it myself. Once that happened I was in charge of making sure my lunch was packed. This is how I learned how to make tuna fish salad and egg salad. I also experimented with a bunch of different sandwiches some of which worked and some that didn't. When I was about 10 I found out that Bell pepper and cheddar cheese with mayo went excellent together. I know it may not sound appetizing but you should try it. They go suprizingly well together.
These days my kids are too "cool" to take a lunch to school. I understand and I don't mind shelling out a few clams for them to buy lunch. They also eat their share of "junk food" just like I did but when they're home they eat nutritous meals at night and I'm blessed that they take care of themselves for breakfast although I or their mother don't mind making it for them if they are running late. We are a very busy family in the mornings but we have it down to a routine so things usually run smoothly. And there are no sugary cereals allowed during the week. Bagel-good, doughnut-bad. Cheerios-good, Count Chocula-bad. Eggs-good, pop-tart-bad.
We also do not have white rice, white sugar or white flour (bread). They are useless nutritionally.

allhans
allhans 12/01/11 - 03:02 pm
Just turn on the tube and see

Just turn on the tube and see them waddle. They are there in droves.

Cadence
Cadence 12/01/11 - 05:45 pm
The problem is that the kids

The problem is that the kids come to school hungry because of their worthless parents and they only get food at school. Yes the parents are to blame but if we pull the food programs it is the kids who suffer. Not sure what the solution is but there must be one.

Chillen
Chillen 12/01/11 - 08:23 pm
I wonder how well all the bed

I wonder how well all the bed wetters would take it if they had to personally deliver their tax check each month to a welfare Mom who is sitting at home having kids for a living.

It would be poetic. They would walk in, she'd be talking on her blue tooth headset to her baby daddy, touching up her fake nails and watching Jerry Springer on her flat screen cable enabled TV. Her darlings would be in the background playing x-box.

While said liberal was there, Domino's would show up with 3 pizzas and 2 liters of Coke (heaven forbid they eat chicken, beans & rice and drink water).

When the do-gooder handed over the money, she'd probably take it, stuff it in her pocketbook and shoo them away. They feel entitled, as though they deserve the money. As if it is really THEIRS.

Feed the kids at the public schools - 365 days per year - there is a public school near every child in the nation. Kids show up for breakfast & lunch and then take home a sack dinner. Cut the rest of welfare totally off.

They are abusing the system and the cycle of dependence needs to be broken.

rmajor
rmajor 12/01/11 - 10:05 pm
Things have changed not

Things have changed not because of political, diversity or bias. It has changed because America has changed. No one knows the value of hard work. Kids don't understand the value or meaning of the word "No", and parents don't know how to say "no" and establish values of accountability, self-reliance and pride. It's not a black or white issue (although it seems that's the "undertone" of much of this dialogue). There are blacks and whites who do this. Number one, the credit card didn't come out until after the 1930's of course, and before that, most people saved their money, or they didn't buy it. Period. Plastic created a weak, mentality and an attitude of entitlement. The entitlement goes for parents who buy homes they can't afford, and they buy their kids a smokescreen of a lifestyle to show they have arrived, although all of their money is tied up in their $200K homes, and their new, SUV's. Buying a reliable, used vehicle is almost a crime for some reason. A rick-rack, some jacks, and a kick ball just doesn't cut it anymore for fun. Now we have to pay hundreds of dollars a month just to have our kids to be apart of organized sports or we aren't being good parents. Oh, or we buy gaming systems because we want our kids to have it better than us. Why? I am so proud how I was raised I can hardly stand it! Kids should be raised exactly how we were raised you ask me. Entitlement is what's killing the pride of America....not blacks or whites. Conservatives or Liberals. The ones who are abusing the system are only doing it because this is how it's been set up. There is no pride in hardwork. There is more pride in learning how to work smart....not hard. Kids don't cut the grass anymore. They sleep in until noon on Saturdays (are you kidding me?!). They hardly have chores, and when they do, we pay them an allowance. An allowance? In my home, everyone had a job to do and your pay was eating and sleeping under that roof. That's it! Ok...I'm done. Carry on.....

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/02/11 - 06:19 am
rmajor, you hit the nail on

rmajor, you hit the nail on the head.However, you are the one to bring up the race issue. There is no undertone as you said. It is all in your mind.