Power bills too costly

Georgia Power has taken the brightness out of Christmas. Therefore, there will be no lights in my front yard. I’m scared to death anymore to turn on the bathroom exhaust fan.

When we the people get through building the new reactors, will our power bill go down or will we get a return on our mandatory investment?

I’m hoping others have taken extreme measures to show Georgia Power they are not as big as they think they are. We the people still have power in numbers.

Donald O. Gregory

Martinez

Comments (32)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/29/11 - 11:46 pm

I agree Mr. Gregory. My wife

I agree Mr. Gregory.
My wife is a thermostat fanatic. In the summer it is kept at 78 degrees. In winter it's 66. (59 at night.)
The kids complain all the time in the winter but they (and me) are not allowed to touch the thing.
A light that is not being used is not to be on.
No TV as background noise and none after 10pm.
There are many more ways to save electricity and she has found them all but I must admit we do have our Christmas lights. Not a lot of them. Just enough so that you know that it's that time of year.
Somehow our bill with four children my wife and I is much less than it would be had we no electricity warden. If someone had to enforce the electricity laws in our house I'm just glad it's her and not me because I'm with the kids when they say..."Mom can you heat this dungeon up a little?"

Vito45
Vito45 11/30/11 - 12:05 am

SFB, she and I would have to

SFB, she and I would have to part company in the summer. We are in a constant battle with the tstat, with "she who must be obeyed" cranking it up, and me going behind her cooling it back off. Funny though, we are only quibbling about 2 degrees as a rule; she wants it 73 and I want it 71. In the winter I can walk around in boxers and a t-shirt when it is low 60's.
I grew up in a old frame house at a time when we only had gas space heaters, and they were turned off at night, or down very low if it was sub freezing outside. You slept under a pile of quilts that were so heavy it was hard to roll over. If you got too hot, just throw a leg out from under the cover into the cold and it would cool everything down. That old room would be so cold that ice wouldn't melt in the water glass overnight.
Summer was the inverse. No air conditioning, just a box fan set in the window. I would lie there spread eagle in nothing but my drawers, dreaming of the cool swimming pool tomorrow, or how I could make enough money to get the heck out of there and live in air conditioning.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 12:18 am

Does anyone ever marry a

Does anyone ever marry a person with the same thermostat?

KSL
KSL 11/30/11 - 12:19 am

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 12:23 am

That may be your shortest

That may be your shortest comment, ever. KSL:)

KSL
KSL 11/30/11 - 12:24 am

Probably.

Probably.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/11 - 07:07 am

Same here!

Same here!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/30/11 - 08:01 am

Vito that was funny! Everyone

Vito that was funny! Everyone else too!
Yea growing up we had a window unit in one room but I have no idea what it felt like because my folks acted like it was some fancy contraption that was only to be used in emergencies.
Thank God I grew up on the coast with the ocean breeze or I would have melted. I can still go without AC and just use a fan but when I'm cold I'm miserable!

I'm still laughing at Vito saying if he got too hot under his pile of quilts that he would just throw a leg out from underneath! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/11 - 08:14 am

Vito, I still remember how we

Vito, I still remember how we did the thing at night with the window fan on reverse in the living room in humid Charleston. Everyone kept his door open to get the pull from the fan and you kept your window only slightly cracked to feel the air being sucked in. I mean that cooled you off like nothing else.

If anyone ever opened his window too much, the suction wouldn't work right. You could tell when someone was cheating because the breeze slowed. My daddy would find the culprit.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/11 - 08:23 am

I remember throwing 1 leg out

I remember throwing 1 leg out from behind the cover...a bunch of kids in 1 bed kept us warm in the winter...:)

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/30/11 - 09:11 am

The window fan was in my

The window fan was in my bedroom. 50 years later and the whir of a fan and a little breeze still puts me comatose.

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/11 - 09:33 am

Mr. Gregory, if you really

Mr. Gregory, if you really want to get back at them, go out & get a bunch of solar panels & take yourself almost totally off the grid. They are getting cheaper. You will be much better off in the long term if you do it because energy prices are never going back down, they will only go up.

I've been thinking about investing in some myself.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 10:26 am

How times have changed. As a

How times have changed. As a child I went to bed every wintry night with a hot water bottle and two feet of blankets. During the summer the family would sit on the front porch waiting for the house to cool down while listening to Amos and Andy on the radio. There was no AC or attic fans just hand fans most with ads paid for by local merchants.

kkirk007
kkirk007 11/30/11 - 11:08 am

How short-sighted. New

How short-sighted. New reactors aren't cheap. You would probably have us tie Georgia Power's hands in terms of price limits...but then when the existing reactors becomes to old to continue safely operating, or insufficient for the power demand, you'd be the first to complain about Georgia Power's incompetency.
Think "big picture".

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/30/11 - 11:32 am

Scooby I see you have me by a

Scooby I see you have me by a few years but I remember the hot water bottle as a wintery compainion.
Sitting on the front porch waiting for the house to cool down really brought back some memories.
We had a small heavy metal fan that had virtually no protection from the sharp blades but I can't remember anyone getting hurt. I do remember that fan lasting for years and years of non-stop blowing.
Shoot it's probably still running somewhere out there! hahahaha!

Vito45
Vito45 11/30/11 - 11:42 am

Ahhh, the old church fans...

Ahhh, the old church fans... We had a few around the house too. You coastal folks were lucky, winters were moderate and summers with a breeze. I grew up in central Ga, right in the middle of the gnat zone.
One funny memory is that since there was no AC, the only thing that stood between you and the outside was a window screen. The only time the windows came down was when it rained or got cold.
My grandmother kept a can of roach spray on the night stand (American roaches, aka "palmetto bugs" are plentiful in that neck of the woods), so I didn't think too much about it until I moved away. I was expressing my concern for her staying there alone and sleeping with open windows. She said she wasn't worried; if there was a peeping Tom or prowler at her window, she would put his eyes out with that roach spray! All those years and I thought she was killing roaches!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/11 - 11:42 am

Shrimp, about the open fans

Shrimp, about the open fans with no protection, by the time I was 12, I could stop those smaller ones, not the window kind, with my hand. You just let it hit the heel of your hand gradually and it slowed until you could actually stop it. It was kind of a good hurt. Of course we were also having BB gun fights without shirts on. It's a wonder I made it to 13 with all my fingers, eyes and other body parts.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 02:15 pm

So you stole fans from the

So you stole fans from the church also, Vito45. I guess God has forgiven us for that. It was a matter of need.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 12:38 pm

Vito45 said: My grandmother

Vito45 said:

Hilarious!!

Tell it like it is
Tell it like it is 11/30/11 - 01:35 pm

Will someone please explain

Will someone please explain to me why we have to pay for new construction on power plants when we don't share in the profits. Seems sort of onesided to me, but we can't do any thing because we have to buy from them or creat our own methods of producing power.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 01:44 pm

Get in on the action, Tell

Get in on the action, Tell it, buy some Southern company stock, parent of Georgia Power. It pays about a 5% dividend and the value grows steadily. Just remember corporations are owned by people like you and me.By buying stock you can share in the profits.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 11/30/11 - 01:46 pm

I thought we were already

I thought we were already paying for Vogle. My electricity bill this summer was over $450 one month and $350 the next. I asked Georgia Power about it because our daughter went to college and there are only two people in our house. They told me we had used less electricity than last year it was true, must be the summer rates. Thanks, Georgia Power.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/30/11 - 02:19 pm

As usual the consumer always

As usual the consumer always has to foot the bill for someone else's bright ideas. They nickel and dime us to death and neither are worth a penny anymore.

swcohen
swcohen 11/30/11 - 02:20 pm

I used to work in an office

I used to work in an office building that had seen several remodelings. As a result, there was a thermostat on the wall near my cubicle that had been"abandoned," that is, didn't control anything anymore. My cubicle neighbors and I would watch, amused, as a constant parade of passers-by would adjust it up or down, as suited their nature. Some would even ask us if it was okay to bump it up... Or down... A few degrees. "Sure," I'd tell them, "go crazy with it."

I've often thought about rigging up a bogus thermostat at home. I'd buy a convincing-looking digital one, power it with a doorbell transformer hidden in the attic, and let the rest of the household play with it to their hearts' content. Meanwhile, the real thermostat would be somewhere only I would know about.

You know... The more I think about this... I think I'll head to Lowes this afternoon...

alinchron
alinchron 11/30/11 - 02:22 pm

"A typical Georgia Power

"A typical Georgia Power customer will have to pay an extra 57 cents next year to finance the construction of more nuclear reactors at Plant Vogtle."

I certainly agree Mr. Gregory's sentiment about Georgia Power, but I'd be surprised if we weren't paying a good bit more than 57 cents a year. I know my rates are up a good (or bad, actually) 30 percent the past couple of years.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 03:00 pm

Blaming the power company for

Blaming the power company for the cost of electricity falls into the same category as blaming the oil companies for the cost of gasoline. Well, I guess we have to blame someone, don't we. Hey! I know, it's "W" fault.

swcohen
swcohen 11/30/11 - 03:12 pm

On a more serious note, of

On a more serious note, of the checks I wrote to Georgia Power this past summer, two were over $400, and the third wasn't far from it. I mentioned this to a friend who lives on Long Island. Her highest bill last summer was $891 (I'd have had a stroke, thus wouldn't have paid it.) that was a ConEd bill for a 3,600 sq. ft. beach house. So, compared to people I know, our rates are low... Uh, not as high.

One more thing. GaPwr offers free energy audits of your homes. I say get 'em out there, make 'em show you how you can save money. I did this with the house I bought in 2000. I ended up installing a lot more attic insulation, and I replaced the ageing upstairs heat pump with a then-best SEER 13 unit. Year-to-year KWH usage showed a marked improvement.

One last tip... Gas heat, please! Inexpensive and very effective.

allhans
21921
allhans 11/30/11 - 03:19 pm

When it's cold outside the

When it's cold outside the heat will be the very last thing I cut off.

madgerman
madgerman 11/30/11 - 03:22 pm

What a country we are. In

What a country we are. In 1974 I lived in a german house that had two power meters, one for daytime and one for nighttime useage. That house had heaters that loaded up at night with heat and released it slowly during the day. The cost of night power was less than one half of daytime usage. By the way the heaters were designed to last at least a couple of decades, hardly possible with our chinese imports. P.S. the house had a central hot water system that only came on when the hot water was used. Yes that was 37 years ago. I won't go into the energy and security design of the windows or doors but you can rest assured they will never be available (quality and cost) here because we are in love with our cheap chinese imports.

madgerman
madgerman 11/30/11 - 03:29 pm

Wow. What about people who

Wow. What about people who are going to live here for just a couple of years (soldiers), why are they paying for advanced infrastructure for people who will live here cradle to grave. I thought this idea lost in court? In any event keep electing the same old folks to the PSC. I mean its a party thing after all isn't it?

Regents approve tuition hikes

DAHLONEGA, Ga. - Tuition is going up for Georgia students at all 31 state colleges and universities under a budget plan approved Tuesday by the state Board of Regents, including the largest ...