Occupiers want fairness

Recent editorial cartoons regarding the Occupy Wall Street movement are among the most ignorant I’ve ever seen. Yes, there may be a handful of kooks associated with the movement, but really no more than are associated with the Tea Party. The majority of those who back the Occupy movement simply want to restore a sense of fairness to this nation.

As your own Oct. 24 editorial observed (“The senator from another planet”), those who still have jobs in the private sector are too often finding themselves doing the work of two or three people with no more compensation than they received for doing the job of one person. Another recent editorial pointed to the fact that many CEOs and other corporate executives are so grossly overpaid that they could easily take pay cuts that would release funds to help hire other people and still not feel any great economic pinch.

What we have seen over the past decade in this country is a great imbalance in the distribution of wealth. The rich and powerful take a greater share while the poor and so-called middle class have seen their incomes and buying power fade away.

We need to re-establish this nation as being “of the people, by the people and for the people” rather than of the few, by the few and for the few. We must break the power of people such as Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, who has all Republican political candidates living in such fear that they feel they must sign his no-taxes pledge to gain or remain in political office.

I would agree with those who insist we need to cut government spending, but why must these cuts be to programs that benefit the people? Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc., keep many of our citizens from having to live on the streets. Before any of these programs are touched, we need to cut back on all the programs that benefit corporations, banks and the über-rich.

Is over-regulation hurting business? Yes, there are some really questionable regulations, but for the most part the regulations are in place to protect citizens from corporate excess and greed, and to protect the health and welfare of the general public. Our government does not need to allow more pollution; industries need to take advantage of scientific and technical advances to manufacture goods or extract ores, oil and other materials without poisoning our air and water.

The Occupy Wall Street movement is not about socialism or communism. It’s not about forcing wealth redistribution. It’s about saying we the people have had enough of the lies and whining of a greedy, selfish few who care only about themselves. It’s about seeing a handful of people concentrate all the power and wealth in their hands while the majority of us slowly slip into Third World conditions. But mostly, the Occupy Wall Street movement is about restoring faith in America.

Henry Rockwood

Augusta

desertcat6
desertcat6 11/25/11 - 03:58 am
OK, so how is the Occupy

OK, so how is the Occupy movement going to achieve any of its lofty - I hesitate to use the word - goals. Revolution? To what end? I haven't seen or heard anything that suggests this movement has any rational idea on how to advance it's agenda within the constitutional framework upon which this country was built. OWS organizers and supporters had so many ties to self avowed Socialist organizations, unions and left wing zealots its hard for me to believe there isn't an underlying desire/goal to push the country in that direction. How else will they end the concentration of power and wealth?

stanchaz
stanchaz 11/25/11 - 06:22 am
There's one more item to be

There's one more item to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day : the fact that we have Barack Obama as President of the United States (and as a viable candidate for re-election.....as opposed to the sorry set of rivals on the other side). Thank you Mr. President : your heart, your values, your basic decency.. are all in the right place. But... your hands are tied. Unfortunately they were tied by us, the electorate.....by not providing you with a Congress that you can work with. Instead you have a don’t-tax-the-1% Congress that instead battles you at every turn, while the people suffer.  God, they don't EVEN let you pass your own appointments. It's not Tea-publican gridlock- It's Tea-publican SABOTAGE. And then they try to pin the blame on Mr. Obama. These people have no shame...or else its been purchased by those who can afford to do so. Thankfully, Occupy Wall Street is part of an emerging grass-roots evolution that will help to both re-elect you Mr. President, and to give you a more progressive Congress. Therefore, on this Thanksgiving day,  I am thankful and grateful that you are the President Mr. Obama! And I wish you well. You STILL give me hope.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/25/11 - 07:29 am
Stanchaz, I know a place

Stanchaz, I know a place online where you can order large posters of our leader, Barack Obama, to put in all rooms of your home. Union halls boast these large, color posters already. Some hospital delivery rooms in large cities such as Detroit and Atlanta have them on the walls so newborns will see the leader when they set foot in this world. The website also has compiled a small booklet you can keep in your pocket titled "The Thoughts of Barack Obama." High O salute to you signifying our obedience to our leader.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/25/11 - 07:37 am
Well said, Mr. Rockwood. I

Well said, Mr. Rockwood.
I work very hard, sometimes 12 hours a day, I often go into my office on the weekend and am not paid for doing those extra hours. I do it because I am a professional and believe that one blessed to have a job does what is required to get the job done. I sympathize with the Occupiers and guess what, I DO NOT WANT nor NEED other people’s money. I am not rich but I budget and have money left at the end of the month—most of the time. It’s so disingenuous for the Newt Gingrich’s and Karl Rove’s of the world to dismiss the OWS-ers as simply wanting something for nothing. Public beware, these young people are simply pointing out the obvious, our system is broken. (Isn’t that what the Tea Party said?)
When the Tea Party first surfaced (or was pushed up by the Koch brothers), I was very critical and suspicious of their motivation. The language and signs I heard and saw were offensive. Many held signs depicting the president as Hitler and worse, if you can imagine anyone worse than Hitler. They carried guns to venues when the president was present as if daring someone to stop them in the interest of security, and still accused him of being anti-gun rights. They shouted down politicians at town hall meetings. Conservatives said it was because they were frustrated and politicians (Washington) had better listen. They defended the movement and declared that the negative behavior did not represent all Tea Party members. Okay, I am reasonable so I let up on my disdain.
Fast forward to 2011, the defenders of the Tea Party movement now see evil everywhere there are Occupiers. Karl Rove got into a shouting match when he was “mic checked” by a group of Occupiers but he loved it when Tea Party members shouted down politicians at town hall meetings in 2010. Can anyone say hypocrisy? Finally, a journalist has uncovered a memo where a group of bankers were plotting to tie the Occupiers to the Democratic Party and to drag the movement through the mud. Now, that says to me that the bankers association knows that these people have a valid concern.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/25/11 - 08:07 am
Mr. Rockwood wrote: As your

Mr. Rockwood wrote:
My response is:
Surely, sir, you are not serious about this statement. I spent my entire career in the manufacturing sector. It is impossible for an employee of a manufacturing plant to do more than one person's work. Modern manufacturing processes have long been established to be as effiecient
as possible getting maximum production out of each employee . Once that is accomplished that person can do no more.

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/25/11 - 08:26 am
Henry, when you speak of the

Henry, when you speak of the lies and whining of "the greedy, selfish few," does that include those in congress and this president? Look at the perks they all enjoy, AT OUR EXPENSE. Instead of occupy Wall Street, it should be occupy Washington, DC. Come on November 2012!!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/25/11 - 09:41 am
What exactly is fairness? I'm

What exactly is fairness? I'm broke and hungry because of all of the miserable life's decisions I've made. I decide the shop owner down the street makes more than his/her allotted amount, I rob him/ her. Maybe I will feel benevolent and not kill him/her. Then maybe not. Lefties, what kind of parents raised you?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/25/11 - 09:41 am
In the printed version of the

In the printed version of the AC this letter is identified as the featured letter. I wonder why. Maybe , Sean will tell us.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/25/11 - 10:08 am
"Yes, there may be a handful

"Yes, there may be a handful of kooks associated with the movement, but really no more than are associated with the Tea Party." ha ha. You probably couldn't even find 20 liberals who would agree with that ridiculous statement.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/25/11 - 10:30 am
Truth Matters said: I work

Truth Matters said:
My response;
Good for you. if everyone had your work ethic we would be much better off. Sadly, I am afraid that many, not all, of the OWS movement do not share your attitude.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 11/25/11 - 10:39 am
scoobydoisback, I tried to

scoobydoisback, I tried to find an answer for you, but it looks like the Editorial Dept. is taking the day off. I don't know what "Featured Letter" means.

willie7
willie7 11/25/11 - 10:43 am
Well stated letter. Thank you

Well stated letter. Thank you Mr. Rockwood for spreading the truth.

carcraft
carcraft 11/25/11 - 10:54 am
Lets see, OWS block people

Lets see, OWS block people from going to work, have shut down busineses, threatened violence, disrupted travel, sought to shut down major traffic corridors. Very similar to the TEA Party? Please!! Quit trying to blow smoke up my butt. On top of all this they have cost cities across America millions up on millions of dollars and destroyed businesses by seeking fairness. For whom, certianly not the business owners who have suffered from this nonsense. Certainly not the employees of these businesses who have lost jobs...Oh like Obama it is all about THEM! They are whiney greedy smelly snottie nose little twitts who have no idea how to wipe their noses let alone their rear ends and now realize mommy and daddy won't be there to do it so they want a nannny state to do it and make life fair....here is an aloe nose tissue so they won't chaffe after blowing their noses during one of their tantrums...LOL For a good rebuttle read William's column in todays paper!

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/25/11 - 10:51 am
scoobydoisback: “Modern

scoobydoisback: “Modern manufacturing processes have long been established to be as efficient as possible getting maximum production out of each employee.”

I’m betting that’s probably true in a manufacturing environment. I remember my first run in with the Time & Motion police; I was a welder pup at EZ-GO. A T&M guy with a tie, clipboard, and stopwatch was observing me work. I did not know what he was doing and thought he was sent by high command to “grade” the Oompa-Loompa’s. I thought I’d impress him by welding parts twice as fast in a spurt of enthusiasm.

A small metal part comes flying through the air and hits my welding booth, then another, then another…I looked up and all the old timers were giving me the evil eye. One beckoned me over and told me in a whisper: “slow down hippy, that guy is collecting time to set quotas”. Later at lunch the process was explained to me; when the tie shows up, slow down. On payday Friday, speed up and get your quota done before lunch so we can slack off for the last half of the day.

On payday Friday, the good old boys would eat lunch in their cars and down a little shine, while the brothers would do the same, replacing the shine with weed. They would all come back from lunch and have a kind of blue collar Friday afternoon hillbilly/brother jovial welding humor fest; having met their respective quotas earlier that day.

Looking back on it, I think this collective behavior served a valuable psychological and sociological function. They bonded as a band of brothers and made the best of their limited lot in life and released tension through mechanisms no Efficiency expert will recognize or can measure.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/25/11 - 10:54 am
Thanks, Sean. I suppose the

Thanks, Sean. I suppose the editorial department selected it because of the controversy it would create and it looks, so far, that they were right. I think that it is going to be a fun day and I promise to try to behave myself but it won't be easy

Thanks again

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/25/11 - 10:57 am
BJ, The guy with the

BJ, The guy with the stopwatch is known as an industrial engineer. They are considered the lowest form of life.

carcraft
carcraft 11/25/11 - 11:02 am
One question Mr. Rockwood,

One question Mr. Rockwood, who decides how much some one should be paid? Corperations have Board of Directors and stock holders who help decide, not Oumbler, the government or a bunch of loser whiney kids who disrupt the lives of those trying to make a living. A long time ago my folks told me life isn't fair, never was and never will be deal with it.. I guess these clown at OWS missed that part of life's lesson. Obumbler can't even read a stupid tele prompter about half the time, think he is qualified to decide executive salaries? BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

carcraft
carcraft 11/25/11 - 11:04 am
Truth matters, please prodice

Truth matters, please prodice a source for your assertion that bankers planned to tie OWS to the Democrats. Obama has alread expressed sympathy for them!

TParty
TParty 11/25/11 - 11:04 am
We held rallies, as Tea

We held rallies, as Tea Members. We did not protest. OWS is protesting, it's going to be disruptive and look bad. Just look at what is going on in the middle east- those are protests.

As far as OWS costing the cities millions, the OWS have been peaceful until the police show up and shoot civilians with rubber bullets, pepper spray Americans, and throw concussion grenades at non-violent protestors. There are way too many videos on youtube of this happening, the police being the aggressors. There is no need to pay all the police overtime to stand around in riot gear and harass Americans exercising their first amendment right. It's not the OWS fault the police have been dispatched. They should be going through files in walls street and other places to find fraud.

I was reading this article of a women who committed fraud, and received a little over $4,000 of welfare, so she could feed her children. She paid the money back, but it wasn't enough, and she was sentence to three years in prison. There is another fraud case involving Citi bank, in which a pair of executives were fined the in amounts of $100,000 and $80,000, respectively, for lying to shareholders about the extent of Citi’s debt. They kept their jobs, and did not see any jail time. Also, Citi got $45 billion, plus hundreds of billions in government guarantees.

So it's this socialized losses and private gains that are a problem. If you look into this and say it's fair, then so be it. I don't believe this is the American dream, or fair.

allhans
allhans 11/25/11 - 11:08 am
The protesters are to decide

The protesters are to decide what the meaning of fair is, I guess.
Walter Williams has a column in todays paper that gives a much better expanation of the "hate the rich" lunacy..like if Bill Gtaes had been stopped when he had made "enough", you likely wouldn't have the quality computer you have today.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/25/11 - 11:08 am
BJPhys, your 9:51 was great.

BJPhys, your 9:51 was great. I worked two year at the General Electric plant in SC as a welder and had the same kind of experiences before I decided to get edumacated. On Fridays we went across the highway to the beer joint and that's where I learned to drink 4 beers in 20 minutes. Hilarious...thanks for the remembrances.

allhans
allhans 11/25/11 - 11:16 am
Hooks are baited today, just

Hooks are baited today, just waiting.

A Dem Senator on c_span scolded his fellow liberals a few days ago telling them that accusing someone of "lying" is showing ignorance. If you want to accuse someone, you tell them what exactly they said or did..not just throw the word out there and let it lie.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 11/25/11 - 11:26 am
Fairly even-handed letter

Fairly even-handed letter considering who he's defending. Most OWSers seem to be loaded with hate for anyone who has anything more than they do. In the printed version of the paper immediately below this letter is a great column by Dr. Walter Williams that explains why these OWS types are just plain wrong.
Basically, that the assumption by the protesters that there is a pile of money somwhere and the rich got there first and stole more than their share and should be obliged to give some of it back. I contend wealth is not distributed but earned.
His last line is brilliant. "Prospects are dim for a society that makes mascots out of the unproductive and condemns the productive.
You OWS people should give it a read.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/25/11 - 11:32 am
Tparty, Great post. Brad

Tparty,

Great post.

Brad

Bruno
Bruno 11/25/11 - 11:37 am
If the OWS protestors were

If the OWS protestors were truly about fairness then you would see "FairTax" or "FlatTax" signs everywhere. Having been by the Atlanta OWS protest, I can say for a fact that many there were very much pro-socialism and openly so.

Careful allhans, I got reported for saying that someone was ignorant of things. Apparently, pointing out a person's lack of knowledge on a subject is insulting.

Vito45
Vito45 11/25/11 - 11:48 am
RM, I don't know if I could

RM, I don't know if I could drink 4 in 20, but I could (maybe still can) down a 12 oz mug in < 5 sec.: LOL. Won a free beer or two along the way with the chug-a-lug bets.

A little irony in this convo is I welded golf carts for E-Z- Go too. Burned my eyeballs twice in a month, so gave it up to do electrical work.
Parallel story to BJ's on that:
We were subcontracting electrical construction at Sonoco paper products in Hartsville, who had a union shop. Their union boss, Charlie Bell was a slow talking good 'ol SC boy who did all of the time/material estimates for Sonoco, who then put it out for bid. We worked hard to get the jobs done, just the natural thing for people with work ethic. Old Charlie would come around every day, checking the quality and progress of what we were doing. Every now and again he would urge us to take a break; "it's mighty hot out here boys, ya'll need to go in and take a break..." Come to find out he was estimating the projects at what his union men would do it in, and we were knocking them out in 1/2 to 2/3 the time and it was making them look bad.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/25/11 - 12:02 pm
Great stories, Vito and BJ. I

Great stories, Vito and BJ. I actually quit there before the GE plant closed down, but they started hinting they could make electrical generating turbines cheaper at their plant up north so our work quality started to nosedive.

We had these time card things that told how long a job was supposed to take. I knew those were BS when a two day job would say 2 hours. We had these huge gaps we had to weld on these suckers. I just started throwing the whole unused welding rods in the gap and going over them. I'm sure I'm responsible for the Great Blackout.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/25/11 - 12:02 pm
TParty failed to mention that

TParty failed to mention that the women had a long history of drug convictions.

Bruno
Bruno 11/25/11 - 12:08 pm
justthefacts, much like the

justthefacts, much like the youtube videos that leave out the events leading up to the police having to disperse the crowd with non-lethal means. It is selective editing and shows a strong bias.

Vito45
Vito45 11/25/11 - 12:12 pm
Absolutely Bruno. One would

Absolutely Bruno. One would think that the cops just decided on their own to dress out in riot gear and go crack some heads. They were instructed to disperse people that were in violation of ordinance/law, and when they refused that lawful order the next steps were taken. If there are situations contrary to that, I'm very certain the ACLU will take up their cause.