Book's tone inappropriate

I was part of an upsetting incident at the Columbia County Library recently.

I ran into a friend of mine who was spending time with her two young grandchildren. While downstairs with her in the adult section, her young grandson picked up a brightly colored and illustrated small hardback book to look at. My friend happened to see the name and became very upset that such a book was on display where a child could read it. The book is called Go the (Expletive) to Sleep, by Adam Mansbach. The word is repeated over and over along with other words and phrases that are not something you want to hear anybody you respect saying.

Is this book funny? No. Is there any redeeming or literary value in this book? No. The tone of this book is disparaging, mean-spirited and nasty. I’m thankful I live in a country with freedom of speech. A citizen has the right to write and publish this book. And another citizen has the right to buy this book and support this author. But should our tax dollars be used to buy this book and support this foulmouthed author? No, no, no.

Should our local library contribute to the downward moral spiral of our society? No.

Ruth Hanneman

Lincolnton

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/20/11 - 12:55 am
I don't like censorship.

I don't like censorship. It's not as if the book was in the childrens section. It was in the ADULTS section! So how about we let the adults decide whether or not to read it? If they don't like the title they can move on to the next book. Problem solved!

Edit:(Because I know someone is going to bring up the child who happened to see this and say "But what about the children? We have to protect the children)

Yes I realize there was a child who happened to see the book but the child in question was in the ADULTS SECTION. He shouldn't have been in that section in the first place. Most libraries carry Stephen King and I guarantee you his books have PLENTY of expletives. You wanna ban those too? Why don't we ban every book that has a curse word in it just in case a child might see it?

*sarcasm off*

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/20/11 - 12:56 am
The audio book, narrated by

The audio book, narrated by Samuel L Jackson is WAY funnier, lady.

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/20/11 - 01:34 am
Truly is Taylor ;-)

Truly is Taylor ;-)

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/20/11 - 07:14 am
If you're worried about

If you're worried about children absorbing an unhealthy tone, you should want this paper's editorial pages hidden from them, too.

Techfan
Techfan 11/20/11 - 08:53 am
Buy every copy you can find

Buy every copy you can find and burn them. I'm sure the author will be very happy as it goes into another printing.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 11/20/11 - 08:57 am
Sorry Ruth but you cannot

Sorry Ruth but you cannot have it both ways. You claim you aren't against freedom of speech but then inject your own set of values into why your rights overrides everyone elses. There are things in public libraries kids shouldn't see. It's the parents job to see to it their children don't see them. Same goes for TV, video games and some music.I don't want to live in a nanny state. I want to be able to make the decision on what I think is moral. I don't want someone else making it for me. Don't like whats in the library? Don't go. Music on the radio? Change the dial. Same for TV or anything else you don't like. You aren't the only tax payer that visits that library so, while I accept your right to speak your opinion, I don't agree with your logic.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/20/11 - 09:21 am
I think her friend was

I think her friend was embarrassed her grandson was reading the book and had to do the Puritan piroutte to save face.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 10:02 am
The very reason you have

The very reason you have adult sections & childrens area....

Get a grip ......kids see far more junk on tv than the library....J Springer show leaves little to the imagination..

southern2
southern2 11/20/11 - 11:20 am
Give me a break, this has

Give me a break, this has nothing to do with First Amendment rights or censorship and everything to do with common human decency. It further reflects the decline of our moral existence. Might be time for the Columbia County Library to post the same warning label, "Tipper sticker", on the door as many recordings are required to do. We should be protected from allowing these gutter mouth's to use our kids ears as sewer pipes.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/20/11 - 12:25 pm
I was not planning to comment

I was not planning to comment on this letter, Southern2, but your comment stuck a nerve. What has happened to common decency? Just because one has the right to read vulgarity or to write vulgarity doesn't make it the right thing to do. I remember people like Jack Benny, Bob Hope , George Burns and others that would entertain us without using any off color words. The loss of morality in our society has struck a blow that we will never recover from. I know, I am an old goat that doesn't understand and I am glad that I don't

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 12:21 pm
I just read that cursing

I just read that cursing babydolls are on the market.....now that is outrageous to me.....who would think a doll would be programed for curse words......the world has changed & not always for the better.....tv & news programs give more info. than any child needs to hear.

Just think of the last week with the Penn state news....

david jennings
david jennings 11/20/11 - 01:39 pm
I agree the book probably was

I agree the book probably was of little literary value. Maybe instead of being so upset the parent should calmly talk to the child and explain why books with so little redeeming qualities are permitted.
I remember the era of Red Skelton but unfortunately times have changed. Like the song said: Teach your childrern well...

allhans
allhans 11/20/11 - 01:46 pm
You would think that a family

You would think that a family oriented place such as a library would be a little more family friendly.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/20/11 - 02:19 pm
Banning books is good path to

Banning books is good path to fascism. Remember people wanted to change and censor Huck Finn. Then Uncle Remus tails have been banned in many places, although they are just recanted tails Harris heard growing up and he phrased it in the vernacular of african-americans of the period. It is fine to censor and ban books from your kids but our society shouldn't be in the business of censorship or banning any book. Be it a Bible or Mao's Little Red Book.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/20/11 - 02:22 pm
I loved Red Skelton and "may

I loved Red Skelton and "may God bless" the end of every show. But I also enjoyed Jackie Gleason and Milton Berl and both could be vulgar human beings. The yin and yang.

Jake
Jake 11/20/11 - 03:09 pm
I always prefered Groucho

I always prefered Groucho when it came to so-called "off color" remarks. My favorite was when he was talking to one of the female contestants on his show "You Bet Your Life" and she indicated that she had 11 children. Groucho asked her why she had so many and she replied, "I love my husband". To which Groucho replied, "I love my cigar, too, but I like to take it out of my mouth every once in a while".

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/20/11 - 05:43 pm
Books, TV Shows, Movies, etc

Books, TV Shows, Movies, etc should never be banned. If you don't like cussing that's fine. Don't go out of your way to watch or read any of those programs. Do the same for your children if you feel the need. But don't impose your sense of morality on the rest of us. Some of us actually have a sense of humor and are ADULTS and would like to be able to enjoy the book if we so choose ;-)

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 11/20/11 - 06:40 pm
Well said Mamba..I agree

Well said Mamba..I agree wholeheartedly. The day we let the government decide our morals is the day your last freedom will be revoked!

southern2
southern2 11/20/11 - 07:06 pm
Such a double standard...we

Such a double standard...we have a problem with nativity scenes, public prayer, displaying the Ten Commandments, but when it comes to vulgarity on our air waves or putting books with the F word title in the hands of our children then we get a little defensive.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/20/11 - 07:12 pm
Well said, southern2.

Well said, southern2.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/20/11 - 07:36 pm
Don't we though, southern2,

Don't we though, southern2, excellent post.

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/20/11 - 07:51 pm
".we have a problem with

".we have a problem with nativity scenes, public prayer, displaying the Ten Commandments, but when it comes to vulgarity on our air waves or putting books with the F word title in the hands of our children then we get a little defensive."

If anyone comes to your house, church, or PRIVATELY owned business and tells you that you can't display things of your faith I'll be the first to defend you. However you have no right to ask for these displays in government buildings...I have a feeling that's what you're getting at. This isn't a Christian theocracy. However I don't see anyone trying to stop Christians, Muslims, Jews, or anyone else of any other faith from worshiping how they so choose. I just see people fed up with people who think their faith should be injected into a government body that presides over people of all faiths and non-faiths.

dougk
dougk 11/20/11 - 08:02 pm
what a way to twist two

what a way to twist two issues up, Southern2.

Jane18
Jane18 11/20/11 - 09:08 pm
I've been told all my life

I've been told all my life that I have the best sense of humor, and I can find something good or humorous about almost anything. But I draw the line as to when something is cute and funny and to when something is distasteful or just plain out vulgar. So, if some of you "adults" need any type of vulgarity(language or otherwise) to entertain you.............................................

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 11/20/11 - 09:37 pm
That's the problem. You don't

That's the problem. You don't get to decide what's vulgar for everyone! Where do people get off thinking they can decide what's vulgar for the rest of the nation? Thank goodness I don't have to live by anyone else's morals but my own. As far as religious displays? It's not a religious display it's a christian display. I have no problem with any religious display but you see where that leads to issues? You would have to have muslim displays...jewish displays...catholic displays...what about agnostics and atheists? That's the reason people complain.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/20/11 - 09:38 pm
Excellent post southern2.

Excellent post southern2.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/20/11 - 09:48 pm
"That's the problem. You

"That's the problem. You don't get to decide what's vulgar for everyone!"

So Iwannakno, anything you don't think is vulgar or immoral you should be able to do or say......got it. No wonder our nation is going to heck in a hand basket.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 11/20/11 - 09:54 pm
Well thank you for putting

Well thank you for putting words in my mouth. That's not what I said and the problem I have with most christians. You think your way is the only way and want to force your beliefs and morals on everyone else. I consider myself a good and decent person with great morals. I don't want the government or anyone else telling me what I should think is good or right or true. I raised 3 boys that all graduated and are fine upstanding citizens. They have never been in any trouble nor caused me any trouble. Keep your righteous indignation to yourself.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/20/11 - 10:06 pm
Iwannakno, I never mention

Iwannakno, I never mention Christianity or that my way is the only way. My comment wasn't putting words in your mouth. You stated "Where do people get off thinking they can decide what's vulgar for the rest of the nation?"

Well if we have no moral standards of what is descent and vituous conduct and everyone gets to decide what is okay, then everyone gets to decide for themselves if something is vulgar or immoral....thus the problem of our nation today. That's not righteous indignation, that's just the way I see the reason for such a decline in morality in our nation today. Everyone gets to choose for themselves what's good and what's bad.

Wonderful that you are a good and descent person and that you've raised 3 upstanding young men who are educated. Never said otherwise. Little touchy aren't we.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 11/20/11 - 10:10 pm
"So Iwannakno, anything you

"So Iwannakno, anything you don't think is vulgar or immoral you should be able to do or say"

This is what you got out of what I said. That is totally not what I said. How would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot and you were forced to worship a particular religion or only read certain books. That's what you ask for when you allow censorship. I'm not touchy at all just pointing out that I don't have to be a church going christian to be decent and moral.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.