The wheels of justice turn

I was thinking about the Oct. 18 verdict in the case against Daniel Johnson in the tragic involuntary manslaughter of bicyclist Dr. Matthew Burke. He received an interesting sentence. In addition to other stipulations including time in jail and probation, Daniel Johnson has had his license permanently revoked – and I don’t believe he lives on a regular bus route.

I guess Johnson will be in the market for a bike when he gets out of jail. He will want passing motorists to give him lots of space and consideration, but they will probably treat him the same as they treat the rest of the cycling community.

Good luck out there.

Gould B. Hagler II

Augusta

TrickMe
TrickMe 11/16/11 - 02:13 pm
Bikers and drivers need to be

Bikers and drivers need to be more careful. I left my Downtown Y workout Saturday, crossed over 15th and Broad only to slow to 15 mph (which was fine) for a group of bikers. Problem - they were riding 5 people wide. I KID YOU NOT. They saw me behind and one car, I guess didn't make a difference to them. So they continued. As we approached closer to Kroc where the road turns into one lane cars started building up behind us. It was then that the guy in the yellow jersey hurried ahead and got everyone in a single line except he and the other front person stayed two-abreast. I do see this quite often on this stretch - bikers riding 2-3 abreast, which is not the way to ride. But this 5 abreast and for several minutes knowing cars were behind you - just a bit blatant and in your face. There are rules on both sides that need to be followed. Bikers would keep themselves safer too if they would acknowledge this as well.

KSL
KSL 11/16/11 - 02:16 pm
I don't mind sharing the road

I don't mind sharing the road with bikers, but they do need to obey the laws and often they don't.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/16/11 - 02:47 pm
Gould B. Hagler II

Gould B. Hagler II wrote:

Daniel Johnson has had his license permanently revoked . . .

I was thinking about this; suppose the judge permanently revoked one's driving license. How far could that extend? The judge presumably serves in a judicial circuit, such as Aiken, Edgefield, Allendale counties, let's say. Would his order have power if Johnson showed up at a DMV post in Florence? Would they even know about the order?

Okay, let's say that a S.C. superior court judge can make orders that apply statewide. That wouldn't work across state lines.

All Mr. Johnson has to do when he's satisfied the jail time requirements would be to move to Augusta and establish residence. Then he could get a Georgia license and cruise the back roads of Beech Island all he wishes.

Piperpig
Piperpig 11/16/11 - 06:45 pm
LL, judges' orders are

LL, judges' orders are binding in every county in the state. Full faith and credit requires all other states to enforce a valid order issued in one state. So this order follows him wherever he goes.

Piperpig
Piperpig 11/16/11 - 06:48 pm
Also, sorry to double post,

Also, sorry to double post, but Circuit Court in SC is equivalent to Superior Court in GA and NC.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/16/11 - 08:08 pm
Is it customary to have one's

Is it customary to have one's license permanently revoked in a situation like this?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/11 - 08:18 pm
I guess he will be a bike

I guess he will be a bike rider now.

bill.waters
bill.waters 11/17/11 - 03:20 pm
While I agree with Mr.

While I agree with Mr. Hagler's sentiments (and as a cyclist, I can only hope that Mr. Johnson has to ride a bicycle for transportation,) the facts surrounding his sentence are incorrect. Mr. Johnson will be serving his time on the weekends only. And, his driver's license is suspended for 1 year, not revoked.

IsAnyoneAlwaysRight
IsAnyoneAlwaysRight 11/22/11 - 05:39 am
Trickme, that was the

Trickme, that was the Saturday morning ride from a bike shop on Walton Way. That ride consists of many inexperienced, new, or not-so-talented riders and that particular ride is considered amongst many of us experienced riders one of the most dangerous ones for us to join in on.

I can name on my fingers and toes the number of incidents and accidents that have occurred on that Saturday ride. What you experienced downtown is far less aggravating than what many on San Bar Ferry and those that live on the "Regular Route" are agitated by.

Some that ride with that shop (not just on Saturday newbie ride) blame the local triathlon for causing the reactions from the Beech Island community; but the triathletes in training usually ride alone or in very small groups and don't ride in 2-5 abreast pelotons. In fact most triathletes that come from other cities to ride The King's Course don't even know the road on which Dan Johnson lives.

In addition, ask the former Mean Gene's gas station about how the Saturday Ride takes over there parking lot and causes congestion not only in the pump area but in the station itself.

Noone can dispute these facts even if it ruffles some feathers.

Speaking of Mr. Johnson, he is free to ride his bicycle anywhere and I am sure all of us cyclists who are also licensed automobile drivers would show him the utmost courtesy and obey the rules of the road regarding autos and cyclists. Two wrongs do not make a right. Mr. Johnson has had his say and day in court and the legal system acted; he has paid a heavy emotional price knowing that his own vehicle took the life another human being.

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved.

Arnold

IsAnyoneAlwaysRight
IsAnyoneAlwaysRight 11/22/11 - 11:40 am
Sorry, was repeat of first

Sorry, was repeat of first comment.

Crowd turns out for Sanders memorial

ATLANTA -- A large crowd filled a downtown Atlanta church Saturday for the memorial service for Carl Sanders, an Augusta native who had served as governor in the height of the Civil Rights Movement.