Old accusations dredged up

It seems women are coming out of the woodwork now after Herman Cain. While I am a Cain supporter, that part is irrelevant. Whether he is guilty or not guilty is not the object of this letter.

What I fail to understand is how the American public can be so gullible. Whether they are Republicans or Democrats, when these types of accusations arise, it is always when the accusing party is feeling threatened in its position. Every time there is talk of stress and trauma – yet, always, none of these are current events; they supposedly happened years ago. Now, all of a sudden, they are relevant and fresh.

It doesn’t matter which party – Americans should pay attention to the ways their own parties try to sling mud and brainwash them.

Surely sexual harassment is a serious thing – but so is the sexual incident in the Clinton White House that the Democrats so readily pushed under the rug.

If these accusers were so traumatized by Mr. Cain, why were they not at the forefront before now? Sexual harassment cases are one of the court system’s priorities. Charges, penalties and punishment should have been taken care of years ago – if they were legitimate.

William Miller

North Augusta, S.C.

Insider Information
Insider Information 11/09/11 - 12:00 am
Why did they wait until now

Why did they wait until now to make up these ridiculous stories?

Simple.

Money.

Someone dangled a little money out there and they came a runnin'.

True or not, there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove the allegations, so the accusers get used, Cain gets attacked and the public gets duped.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/09/11 - 12:16 am
A couple of days ago when the

A couple of days ago when the NRA released the first women from her confidentiality agreement and she said, through her lawyer, that she decided to not revisit the issue, there were some on here that implicitly thought it was over. Hurray for our guy Cain!

I warned there were other shoes yet to drop; I don’t want to say it (yes, I do):

I told you so.

There goes my hypothesized Republican dream ticket: Romney/Cain.

faithson
faithson 11/09/11 - 02:19 am
The bookee's had Herman at

The bookee's had Herman at 6.4 in Vegas before the Fourth one came out. He is now down to a 3.8 to 100 chance of being the Republican Candidate. Romney is at 67. I kinda like the odds on Romney, no matter my 'emotions'. Herman is TOAST.

burninater
burninater 11/09/11 - 03:56 am
I don't know, maybe it's

I don't know, maybe it's because the guy's running for the most powerful position in the world that they felt the need to come forward? And what is wrong with people's heads that their first reaction is to immediately dismiss these accusations -- multiple accusations, some that had already been settled with hush money, and that Cain has already admitted to lying about to the press and the voters?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/09/11 - 05:41 am
Cain came across very well at

Cain came across very well at the press conference and pointed out there's a difference in paying a small nuisance settlement and hush money. Seemingly trying moments like this get the attention of the country and if you are likeable as Cain is, it can be beneficial. I'm reminded of Oliver North before Congress completely turning the table on his detractors.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/09/11 - 06:59 am
Anything Gloria Allred gets

Anything Gloria Allred gets involved in is about money and attention.

carcraft
carcraft 11/09/11 - 07:53 am
Burninater- Would have been

Burninater- Would have been nice for the press to have isited Bill Ayers, Rezko, Rev wright, and the old neighbor hood Obama organized in as well as Obama's connections to Blagojiviche. What About Obama's connection to Solyndra, Fisker Motors, Tesla motors, Gun Walker and the latest 7.8 bilion Dollar bail out of Fannie Mae since Obama is the most powerful office holder in the US..OH I know 15 year old alligations are much more important...LOL

Techfan
Techfan 11/09/11 - 07:40 am
Oliver North? You mean the

Oliver North? You mean the traitor who sold weapons to our enemies? He should have gotten the firing squad. He should be thankful for immunity.

robaroo
robaroo 11/09/11 - 08:05 am
The reasons the allegations

The reasons the allegations have been brought up now tells me it is the Republicans who started it. Let me explain.

Since Mr. Cain is a front runner, the leadership did their homework on him. They found something that might be an issue with the voters. The last thing they want is to have the issue come out after someone is the official candidate. So they release the information now, before the primaries.

If voters don't like it, the Republican candidate is somebody else. If it's no big deal, Mr. Cain is it.

Techfan
Techfan 11/09/11 - 08:07 am
So you're happy that a

So you're happy that a traitor walked. Very interesting. Any other anti-American sentiments that we should know about?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/09/11 - 08:31 am
Just read that one of the

Just read that one of the first accusers did the same thing 3 years later at her next job. (I can't believe she was allowed to speak out after she accepted the confidentiality agreement to get her bucks. If she wanted to break the confidentiality clause, she should have had to pay back the money she received.) Anyway, at her next job she started making demands for more money and to be able to work at home, and complaining about being offended by some sexual comment or email and demanding money. Some people are just parasites that will do and say anything for $$$

carcraft
carcraft 11/09/11 - 08:38 am
Techfan-no I am not happy

Techfan-no I am not happy that the DEMOCRATS gave North immunity, traitor is a pretty harsh label, any proof other than honorable service in Viet Nam? If you are upset talk to the Democrats that did it!

TParty
TParty 11/09/11 - 08:48 am
Whenever Gloria Allred gets

Whenever Gloria Allred gets involved, I automatically side against her. This newest woman to come forward- she was photographed a month ago with Cain, and she was all smiles and supportive. Certainly not the behavior that supports the attempted rape she is trying to claim that happened.

I don't believe Cain did anything malicious. The woman who were given hush money (it's hush money when a gag order if given to one party) have stated Cain's actions were just weird and creepy. I know what they mean- I've seen his commercial where he has that creepy slow smile while staring at the camera for 20 seconds.

This is all a non-issue (Which came from Perrys camp by the way). Cain should be criticized from taking a tax plan from SimCity and his numbers do not work unless you're super rich, using a quote from a great poet as closing statements at debates which really were word for word from Pokemon's theme song, how Cain is on a book tour instead of having teams in important states, how Cain has zero foreign policy knowledge, ranging from China (not knowing they have had nukes since 1960's, he said China is seeking out the bomb) to Israel (not knowing what Right of Return was, but fudged an answer anyways) to policy here in the States. When asked difficult questions this weekend with his debate with Ginrich, Cain would have Newt answer first- because Cain doesn't know, but he can fudge answers after hearing what people in the know have said. Does anyone remember Cain's bizzare interview on Fox about abortion..which left the FOX interviewers with their mouth's open? Speaking of bizarre, his ads are the weirdest things...

Cain is not really running for President seriously, he's doing it to promote himself and book, and I feel bad for his supporters, especially those who donated money.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/09/11 - 08:50 am
It is the ole Saul Alinsky

It is the ole Saul Alinsky strategy-if you can't beat em on the issues then destroy their credibility or character. Simple. This has been judicated so it is really a dead issue, except for the latest obvious gold-digger.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/09/11 - 08:58 am
I agree with the letter

I agree with the letter writer.

Bruno
Bruno 11/09/11 - 09:12 am
I think that Cain is toast

I think that Cain is toast but I also think that the accusations are baseless. As to Cain not having any foreign policy background, our last three... no four... no five or six Presidents didn't have any or very little when they took office either.

Also, Oliver North was "initially convicted of three felonies: accepting an illegal gratuity; aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry; and ordering the destruction of documents via his secretary, Fawn Hall." He was never charged with treason nor did his involvement in the Iran-Contra Affair rise close to the level of treason or a traitorous act. This is not to say that what he did was right. It is simply to point out that the charge of North being a traitor is made from a position of ignorance on the legality of the subject.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/09/11 - 10:37 am
I'll just be so glad when

I'll just be so glad when this mess is over and we can get on with deciding on a Republican candidate that has a chance to win. I was never interested in Cain and now I am even more less than interested in him.

The women didn't come forward on their own, they were thrown into the media/trash area and are defending themselves.

If there is even a doubt, that we would have to endure the Clinton years again, let's not go there. We have too many critical issues to spend everyone's time on discussing who's grabbing who's what. Yuck!!

Chillen
Chillen 11/09/11 - 10:49 am
The whole scandal is wrought

The whole scandal is wrought with evil intent. And, it doesn't change the fact that Cain would be very good for America. He has mostly the right ideas. He's one of the 3 candidates I support.

These allegations will not affect my decision to vote for him or against him one single bit. Because I believe they are politically or financially motivated.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/09/11 - 11:42 am
What is weird is our

What is weird is our president wrote in one of his books about drug usage and committing grand larceny stealing a car, and used racially charged profanity. Then there is Rev. Wright who he called his mentor and dedicated a book, then his pinko friends. But all that seemed to just melt away. Weird eh.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/09/11 - 11:42 am
Chillen, I'm not interested

Chillen, I'm not interested in demonizing him, but, honestly, would you pay me off if I told a lie about you? Wouldn't you have the good sense to know, it's not going to go away with money. The truth is the best defense that we have. I don't think we can find a perfect candidate, but we need one without the distractions. Herman Cain wasn't the answer to the Rep ticket before this story broke. I hope the national discussions will go back to the issues.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/09/11 - 12:39 pm
Biz, not really weird at all.

Biz, not really weird at all. You have to possess the values yourself, to hold another accountable for them.

carcraft
carcraft 11/09/11 - 01:54 pm
Willow- Maybe, just maybe the

Willow- Maybe, just maybe the NRA saw that this women was trouble and her acusations baseless so they paid her to leave. It wans't hush money and they readily agreed to let her talk when so requested. Cain had no part in the dispositon of this case, it was the legal eagles. Since this women has accused others of harrassment so perhaps the lawyers were correct. Bielk had similar trouble at one of the news stations where she worked. I am not sure about the third women but as I understand it only two have come forward.

allhans
allhans 11/09/11 - 01:58 pm
Is it possible that the hotel

Is it possible that the hotel the woman stayed in has records from 12 (?) years go, if so, and the records show that Cain upgraded her room to a suite, then she has some proof.
How about the restaurant association he was connected with, could they have records of that time that could possibly show if he upgraded the room and used his expense account?
I would imagine that the MSM is all over this, looking, searching..

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/09/11 - 01:59 pm
How about the "men" barney

How about the "men" barney frank has "sexually harassed"? How about the women john edwards harassed? How many women have been harassed by that paragon of virtue, jesse jackson? Or jfk? Or lbj? The democratic party, the land of Oz!

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/09/11 - 02:20 pm
If we count Herman out (I

If we count Herman out (I am), that leaves:

Michele Bachmann (I don’t think so; gone after NH)
Newt Gingrich (might surprise everybody in NH & SC; could take VP slot)
Jon Huntsman (no way; gone after NH)
Gary E. Johnson (no way; gone before NH)
Ron Paul (no way; too honest for any party except the Libertarians)
Rick Perry (becoming more doubtful every day; gone after SC)
Buddy Roemer (no way; gone after NH)
Mitt Romney (Alpha Dog)
Rick Santorum (no way; gone after NH)

TParty
TParty 11/09/11 - 02:37 pm
It's a shame the right

It's a shame the right doesn't like Jon Hunstman. He's a guy who can take a lot of votes away from Obama, and I mean a lot! It's my professional opinion that Jon Huntsman is the only person able to beat Obama.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/09/11 - 02:41 pm
What about the VP slot?

What about the VP slot?

Chris Christie
Mitch Daniels
Nikki Haley
Bobby Jindal
Bob McDonnell
Marco Rubio
Tim Pawlenty

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/09/11 - 03:01 pm
TParty: “It's my professional

TParty: “It's my professional opinion that Jon Huntsman is the only person able to beat Obama.”

I think Romney can go head-to-head with Obama; yes he’s a flip-flopper but so is Obama. Obama can try to throw the flip-flop-Frisbee but it will just boomerang so what’s the point. Obama has flip-flopped on many, many small and medium issue things; while Romney has flip-flopped on a couple of big issue things like healthcare and abortion. I think the sum of Obama’s many is equal to or greater than the sum of Romney’s few. In the end it will come done to a choice between two, plus their VP. All Romney has to do is pick a non-offensive, reasonably personable running mate and I think he can win. Romney/Rubio? The Hispanic vote is in play; identity politics still powerful voodoo.

Romney has already floated a great tagline for Obama; approximate quote:

“He’s a good man and a nice guy but he’s in over his head.”

Think about that, it’s not mean, it’s not a smear, and has a ring of truth to it. Independents that like Obama could buy into that tagline.

allhans
allhans 11/09/11 - 03:06 pm
Why don't we ignore all

Why don't we ignore all conversation about Cain, the NBC affiliates (CNBC, MSNBC) is hung up as if this is the biggest thing going on right now. Let's let them to talk to themselves.
At least CNN and Fox is talking about the national repercussions of things like the story of
Sarkozy, Obama bemoan Netanyahu over open mic...

So ignore the fact that the liberals want to direct the conversation away from their boy and get back to that which is important to the country. WE can survive without Cain, I'm not so sure we can survive WITH Obama.

Vito45
Vito45 11/09/11 - 03:26 pm
"think Romney can go

"think Romney can go head-to-head with Obama; yes he’s a flip-flopper but so is Obama. Obama can try to throw the flip-flop-Frisbee but it will just boomerang so what’s the point. Obama has flip-flopped on many, many small and medium issue things; while Romney has flip-flopped on a couple of big issue things like healthcare and abortion."

I think it is a bit unfair to categorize anyone as a flip-flopper unless they obviously change opinions just to gain support. I change opinions from time to time as I gain new knowledge, or see that what I supported before has proven to be a bad idea (Romneycare?). Sometimes you don't know something is a bad idea until it has been proven so. You can't hold that against someone; that should be considered as a virtue rather than someone who is so ingrained in a philosophy, they are willing to drown in it, right or wrong. Those people are typically described as wingers.