Who considers Bible God?

Lt. Col. Mark Thompson’s remarks in his Oct. 29 column (“Too many people turn Bible into God”) require, if not demand, a response.

First, I have never heard or known of anyone, religious or otherwise, who refers to the Bible as God. It could be that some atheistic mind that objects to Bible lovers may imagine that the Bible is considered to be God, but that is very unrealistic. I think little Sunday school children know that the Bible is not God!

On the other hand, the Bible stands alone. We do not have the right to pick and choose the parts we like and ignore the parts we don’t like. It is because the men of the cloth have wrongly divided the word of God and presented a social gospel that humanity does not know – right from wrong, good from evil and God from Satan.

Lt. Col. Thompson’s submitting that we should not worry about heaven or hell was not necessary. One can easy tell from the crime, corruption, lying, cheating and sinful behavior that our society is not worried at all about heaven and hell. Maybe we need to hear more about it from the pulpit. It is in the Bible!

Also, his use of the verses of Scripture saying everyone will someday kneel before Christ is true. The only difference is, some will not like to do so.

Gil Ward

Evans

Techfan
Techfan 11/08/11 - 06:40 am
Don't get to pick and choose?

Radwaste
Radwaste 11/08/11 - 06:53 am
Gil, if you had spent time on

Gil, if you had spent time on the Augusta Chronicle Forums when they were up, you'd see numerous examples of this: people defeding the Bible - not God, or any likeness one could imagine of an omnipotent being without getting tangled up in "definitions" which turn out to be twisted for the user's benefit.

For instance, if you look at the Earth itself, it is CLEAR that no "great Flood" happened as described (yes, you have to know high-school physics and learn some geology). So the story is allegorical. But the defense of the Bible is so important to some that they actually ignore the magnificence of Earth itself in favor of a book!

Which can be faked? Edited? Changed to suit the authors?

When you say that something is "true" w/r/t the Bible, even that term takes on a different definition than the one used in logic - because people insist that "what they believe" is "true". It's easy to show when that's not correct.

All of this argument stains the principal message of Christ's life: that the highest calling you can answer is to the totally unheralded service to another, without expectation of reward.

That pretty much humbles any demand, to cite just one example, that God can only have ONE child because the Bible says so. See, in that case, free will would be removed from God. That's how far logic has been thrown from the discussion of a "creator" which is supposed to have built this work around us - the real world. Which is RULED by the logic of cause and effect!

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 07:27 am
Techfan "Don't get to pick

Techfan "Don't get to pick and choose? When and where is the next stoning for rebellious kids? I've been saving up some danged good throwing rocks."

Just proves there are some who have never cracked the cover of a Bible. Techfan, do some studying of God's Word and you'll find you will have to put those rocks in your flower bed.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/08/11 - 07:34 am
If God had sat down and wrote

If God had sat down and wrote the bible himself then I would be more inclined to believe it. But since a bunch of ancient MEN from the middle eastern part of the world sat down and wrote it in a language I cannot understand and has been interpretted so many diffferent ways- makes it hard for me to believe it's much more than a few historical references with fairy tales and local myths mixed in the middle.

Techfan
Techfan 11/08/11 - 08:01 am
Read it cover to cover in a

Read it cover to cover in a few different translations. Sorry if you don't like that it says the men of the city should stone 'em.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/11 - 08:27 am
The problem with the bible is

The problem with the bible is distinguishing what is allegory and what is real. Read Revelations-you can't tell when your on earth or heaven, God is described liked jewels. But the allegory does have meaning. Just like the flood isn't so much about the flood but the mass extinction of humanity-which scientist believe there has been at least one founder effect where all humanity cease to exist except for a small "founder" population of less than 1000 people. This is the reason there are no biological races-we haven't had enough time to evolve many real differences.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/11 - 08:30 am
The Israeli Bible project (a

The Israeli Bible project (a twenty year project) has been scrutinizing the text for consistencies and what has been modified-which apparently it has. But the changes, as I understand, aren't significant to the grand scheme.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/11 - 08:34 am
The Bible is the "inspired"

The Bible is the "inspired" word of God, which means it was inspired by the writers and has to be inspired to comprehend-basically it says it will be gibberish to non-believers or those God doesn't allow to comprehend. The Bible is "living" so the text is suppose to be applicable to a specific situation of the reader too. I often wonder about the signficance of Bible-like if you are on a deserted island with no Bible does your faith cease to exist or diminish. I would think not, but I would like an answer too.

TParty
TParty 11/08/11 - 08:50 am
ICL- Techfan is right. God

ICL-

Techfan is right. God is pretty violent. One of my favorite stories in the bible is when Elisha, who is follicly-challenged (Bald) is made fun of. So he calls upon the lord who unleashes two bears to kill 42 people. (2 Kings 2 23:25)

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 11/08/11 - 09:33 am
Lt.Col. Thompson's letter did

Lt.Col. Thompson's letter did create quite a stir and I found myself objecting to his letter as well. However, I do believe that what he was trying to say was that WE TEND TO MAKE IDOLS out of everything, even the Bible. And that is true.

Where I went off track with him was his interpretation of some of the scriptures that he used. In any event, his letter did cause great discussion among the people and many to think.
Not a bad thing.

I love God's Word. We should know it, memorize scripture. It has power and authority, peace and comfort. But without having fresh revelations of Jesus Christ, himself, made personal to me, through a relationship with Him, I can easily be drawn into legalism and idolatry. The Bible is God's inspired Word, but it does not take the place of our God.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 09:40 am
Techfan, you can read the

Techfan, you can read the words all day long and still not understand the Word of God. TParty, guess God loved Elisha (a man of God) so much that he destroyed the very people who made fun of him and of God. You proved my comment to Techfan. When the youth made fun of Elisha on his way to Bethel, they were insulting him and mocking, telling him to "go up" as Elijah had done. This mockery was a sin against the great miracle God had just done.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 11/08/11 - 09:47 am
Our God is both the Lion and

Our God is both the Lion and the Lamb. He is just and mericiful. He will forgive, but He will not be mocked.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 09:48 am
Techfan, in the Old

Techfan, in the Old Testament, the punishment for sin was often death or stoning. Yes, sounds like harsh punishment but the severity of righteouness and the requirement of perfection before a Holy God required hard standards. When Christ came and died for us, we entered into a new covenant and the punishment for sin has been covered by the blood He shed on the cross. The reason we do not stone our children, homosexuals or adulterers is because we are not longer under the Old Testament covenant judicial system. Thankfully Jesus paid the price for all our sins.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 09:50 am
Everyone wants to follow the

Everyone wants to follow the side of God that is loving and merciful but we resist the side of God that is Holy, Righteous, and Just.

TParty
TParty 11/08/11 - 10:28 am
"God loved Elisha (a man of

"God loved Elisha (a man of God) so much that he destroyed the very people who made fun of him and of God."

That is horrible in every sense of my understanding. Making fun of someone should has a punishment of being destroyed by bears? Can you imagine a child unleashing bears on some people at school because someone made fun of that child? I will never be able to fathom how anyone could worship anything that would do that to another human being.

The fact there was a time when your god demanded stoning of people shows how evil and terrible your god is.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 10:43 am
You totally missed the point

You totally missed the point TParty.

It was not that they were mocking Elisha's physical appearance but they were mocking Almighty God. Until you can understand the whole character of God, understand His Holiness, I guess you would find it evil and terrible. God takes rebellion and sin against Him very seriously. He gave us life and He has every right to take it away. To us, death is a tragedy. To God, death is a transition. What is horrible, is that we rebel against Him and end up separated from Him for eternity.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 11/08/11 - 10:49 am
Thanks, Bro. Ward, for your

Thanks, Bro. Ward, for your fine letter. As was pointed out by ICL, who posted several responses on the Religion page, Lt. Col. Mark Thompson's opinion column ("Too many people turn Bible into God") was full of errors. So you faced quite a challenge in trying to respond coherently within the editorial page editor's word limit of 300 words. You've done well, and I hope others will respond too.

What's so often missed or ignored is that you and others like you are motivated, not by hate, but by love. To warn is to put love into action. It's an act of love to tell people about their sins, their need for repentance, and their opportunity to be saved through trusting in Jesus as their Lord, Savior, and Messiah.

Such a warning, however, is acceptable only to people willing to please God. It's as Jesus taught: "If anyone's will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God ..." (John 7:17 English Standard Version).

Again, thanks for standing up for our Lord and Savior.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 11/08/11 - 10:52 am
Coming to Christ, seeing God

Coming to Christ, seeing God as a loving Father, rather than busy, angry, distant etc, is directly related to how we view(ed) and experienced our earthly fathers.

iLove
iLove 11/08/11 - 10:55 am
The Bible has been touched by

The Bible has been touched by man's hands. . . so therefore, you cannot hold EVERY WORD AS TRUTH.

Deception = Truth + Lies.

Also, you cannot read the Bible like an ordinary book. You have to ask the Holy Spirit for understanding of what God is telling us.

Also, the Old Testament WAS WRITTEN FOR A SPECIFIC GROUP OF PEOPLE DURING A SPECIFIC TIME.

Have A Great Day in the Lord everyone!

TParty
TParty 11/08/11 - 11:13 am
ICL- If you read in AC

ICL-

If you read in AC tomorrow that Tparty was killed by bears because he mocked god, would you say that's what I get for rebelling against god?

allhans
allhans 11/08/11 - 11:14 am
Non-believers continue to

Non-believers continue to harangue those who know the Truth.
Why is so important to them? I don't believe in atheism so I pass it by. It doesn't concern me. We are of different worlds....

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 11:27 am
iLove, I disagree. God's

iLove, I disagree. God's word is truth. John 17:17 says "thy Word is truth" and in Hebrews 6:18 it say "It is impossible for God to lie" so if God says His Word is truth then you most assuredly can hold every Word as truth.

Deception = Satan
Truth = God

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 11/08/11 - 11:29 am
I would jump in but ICL is

I would jump in but ICL is doing a pretty good job so I will just say, "Amen!" Isaiah 40:8, "The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever!"

allhans
allhans 11/08/11 - 11:39 am
Amen!

Amen!

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 11:45 am
TParty, if tomorrow I read

TParty, if tomorrow I read that you were killed by bears because you mocked God, who am I to question God's judgement. I would pray that in your last minutes of life that you come to realize who and what God is and accept His free gift. If not, then it would be a very sad day in my opinion. I take no rejoice in death if you eternal destination is hell.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 11:53 am
allhans, it is only my

allhans, it is only my opinion but I believe non-believers continue to argue with believers because they are ultimately looking for truth. We all want proof but we don't like to submit. It's the giving up control of our lives that bothers us most, but what they don't understand is when you do, you gain so much more.

TParty
TParty 11/08/11 - 12:03 pm
ICL- I respect your opinion

ICL-

I respect your opinion and honesty.

I guess I will add that as someone who does not believe in Christianity, or the Muslim faith... as an outsider I'm curious what people's feelings would be if your god was switched out with allah, and your statements were coming from a Muslim... a Muslim saying "Hey, if you die for mocking my god, it's what you get"... I struggle to think how quickly people would label that Muslim a terrorist.

It happens in real life when cartoonist are killed for drawing Mohammad... that's crazy and labeled terrorism. However when a person in the bible wants god to kill others for mocking, that's not evil or terrible. It's the whole character of god, and who are we to judge? God gave us life.

I guess a big difference would be that ICL has the true religion and everyone else has it wrong.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/11 - 12:12 pm
Religions definitely have a

Religions definitely have a place as evolved memes in our culture. They are the only phenomena that teaches peace, love, and altruism. The old testament is very violent, but that is a reflection of the barbarism of the people rather than God. The people asked for judges, laws, and government-God didn't institute them. Even the Ten commandments were a low bar for humanity to reach-as when Christ came he raised the bar even higher for most of the commandments. This is the evolution of man. Scientifically we are but animals-no difference killing a rabbit or an ant as a man. But the bible tries to raise man out from his animal nature to that of man or human, gives man a special place in the universe, and gives a special dignity or sanctity to human life. Instead of just another animal we humans become special and are stewards of God's creation. The Jewish faith believes Genesis is an ongoing process, and that humans have a special place in the fulfillment of the process. I have always found it strange the differences between Judaism and Christianity when judaism is the root to the religion.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 11/08/11 - 12:13 pm
I think speaking the truth

I think speaking the truth and standing up for God's Word is vital.

However, it pays us to remember two things: 1) A person who does not believe they are sick or in pain is not looking for a physician. 2) And that as Christians we will have very little influence in the lives of others, without first coming into relationship with them. That was the model of Christ. No one listens to another without a personal connection. When we connect with others through identifying and sharing our own struggles and God in them, they will be open to us, when they are ready. Not many can do this, because it takes a great investment of time, patience and prayer. I like to think of it as the hoovering of the holy spirit..it comes first, anything else is an imitation and won't hold.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/11 - 12:13 pm
TParty, I followed your logic

TParty, I followed your logic until your statement "However when a person in the Bible wants God to kill others, ..."

Elisha did not want God to kill the youth, read the scripture again. He cursed the youth, God choose to the punishment.

TParty, you have it wrong again....I don't have the true religion because my faith is not based on a religion, but a relationship with Christ, not some set of standards of man's doctrine, but by the standard set before me by the Almighty God in His Living Word. If that makes other's wrong, so be it. I will not apologize for my obedience.

Clinician shortage blamed for Augusta VA woes

The acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs said Thursday that the main reason for scheduling problems at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center is a shortage of clinicians, adding that too few nurses ...