Not electing religious head

The 2012 political campaign is getting under way, and the tired old question of religion is coming to the forefront as usual.

Not that people are really interested in religion, but it is a subject on which most have an opinion of what the other man believes, and hypocrisy becomes a useful weapon to destroy the opponent.

Not that people are really interested in Christianity; the numerous denominations within the Protestant faith testify to the fact that they cannot agree even among themselves.

Also, a man’s religion is only what he says it is, and there is no dipstick with which to measure.

Since the problems we are dealing with are secular and in the hands of elected representatives, morality is relative only as it pertains to the Constitution, law and order and the gross national product.

If the Constitution is respected, freedom will be protected and each man’s destiny will lie within the purview of his own dreams.

We are not electing a religious leader. Certainly one committed to the principles that Jesus taught should be desired by an intelligent and moral electorate. But I’m afraid if Jesus offered himself as a candidate, America would be the scene of another crucifixion.

A.G. Blackmon

Warrenville, S.C.

L.A. Sr
L.A. Sr 11/01/11 - 11:52 pm
If people who claim to be

If people who claim to be Christians can not agree on what Christianity is then they are not true Christians. Christianity is just what the bible says it is. If you do not believe the word of God as it is written then you are not a Christian period. Now I know that people who are secular will try to point to some verses and say this or that, but you have to put it into context with the times as they were in that era. The bottom line is this follow the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. The reason we are in this mess is because we Christians let the small voice of the secular override us, and that is a shame. Stand up Christians and put GOD back in our country were he belongs!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/01/11 - 11:57 pm
I believe you're correct Mr.

I believe you're correct Mr. Blackmond (About what would happen to Jesus if he were a candidate allebet a hypothetical crucifixion)

I don't care what religion the candidate is. Like you say we have secular problems. We need a smart person, a strong person. One who has ideas and can actually get others to accept thise ideas. We have a lot of work to do and many hard desicions need to be made. I am so sick of the news I could spit.
Instead of asking a candidate what his plan on creating jobs would be the question was whether he was ever accused of sexual harrasment.
Instead of asking a candidate how he would tackle the crippled economy he is asked whether the "N" word was on a rock at his hunting lodge.
Instead of asking a candidate how he would deal with the threat of Islamic extreemists he is asked whether Mormomism is a cult.

The mainstream media has been useless for many years now going for ratings over substance.
I just thank God that I don't look to a journalist to tell me who to vote for. Unfortunetly there are many pea brains out there who do and they have just as many votes as I do.
Unless we get the dead weight out of Congress, the Senate and the White House this country will just keep on going in the same direction as it has for many years now.
Lobbyists and special intrest groups are a threat to national security and should be treated as such.
Unless you want to see the fall of the United States of America I think we Americans better cast our votes with the desperation of a drowning man clinging to a life preserver.
What religion our leaders are? Who gives a blank!

faithson
faithson 11/02/11 - 01:04 am
Your Religion is the way you

Your Religion is the way you live your life. All will know you by your fruits. All I see is selfishness in politics, I my me and mine. We deserve what we get when we elect men of no character.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 11/02/11 - 05:38 am
"Not that people are really

"Not that people are really interested in Christianity; the numerous denominations within the Protestant faith testify to the fact that they cannot agree even among themselves" (A.G. Blackmon).

The writer ignores how much the denominations--whether Protestant, Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox--agree about the foundational doctrines, for example, the Trinity, the virgin birth of Christ, the inspiration and infallibility of the Scriptures. The areas of disagreement often concern minor things such as style of worship and choice of music. Despite these disagreements, worshipers who agree about the foundational doctrines accept one another as members of the body of Christ.

Faithson is correct to say, "Your Religion is the way you live your life." The apostle James taught, "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world" (James 1:27 English Standard Version). Faithson is also correct to say we get what we deserve when we elect men of no character. Indeed, we reap what we sow.

As to the Constitution, we should remember that it's a piece of paper just as our flag is a piece of cloth. Both can be burned. Both depend on the will and character of the people. Neither is better than the people upholding it, and neither has been around very long.

Our ultimate trust should be in God, who is eternal, all-knowing, and all-powerful. Only by his grace and mercy can our nation hold together. "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD ..." (Psalm 33:12 ESV).

L.A. Sr
L.A. Sr 11/02/11 - 06:12 am
If we would kill the Lord

If we would kill the Lord Jesus Christ again then this country deserves what it gets!!!! Come on people we were founded on Juedo-Christian principles. WAKE UP TRUE CHRISTIANS!! For Jesus said "if you are ashamed of me in front man I shall be ashamed of you before of the my Father"

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/02/11 - 06:27 am
"the numerous denominations

"the numerous denominations within the Protestant faith testify to the fact that they cannot agree even among themselves"

What you fail to understand Mr. Blackmon, there are many denominations within the Protestant faith, and they may have different viewpoints on some minor doctrine, but when it comes to the major point concerning who God is and His character, I believe you will find that they all agree. What family doesn't have minor differences....noticed the "minor". Of course, I guess someone who in not a believer could view this as being "major".

L.A.Sr I have to agree with you, Christians have created this mess. We have rode the fence way too long and become lukewarm. I pray we get off either side and start speaking the hard plain truth.

Faithson, I understand your comment but it should be our "relationship" with Christ that becomes our way of life. We definitely need to elect some men with character.

etlinks
22002
etlinks 11/02/11 - 08:15 am
shrimp for breakfast- You

shrimp for breakfast- You said a mouth full,no pun intended.A very good post. Maybe your words will open some eyes and hearts.

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 08:32 am
Why are we even giving this

Why are we even giving this the time of day when there are many more serious concerns.
Obama made a big deal, even held a news briefing yesterday, he had "signed an executive order to help alleviate drug shortages that would help cancer patients a....."
The FDA says the law is already on the books, that the order changes nothing.
He spoke to an audience of college kids and told them they no longer had to worry about their student loans but ignored the fact that it is for those Qualifying and enrolling after 2012. He told parents that they could put their 26 year old on their family plan, but didn't bother to tell them that when they added an additional dependent the premium would go up..all this bully-hooing when he is in actuality doing nothing at all.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 09:02 am
I read that article about

I read that article about Obama's "order" regarding drug shortages, allhans. It said the order would put extra burdens on drug manufacturers to report to the FDA when there was a drug "shortage." The problem is that the manufacturers are not the ones recognizing a shortage. A shortage is recognized by hospitals administering the drugs to their patients and by pharmacies filling prescriptions. The manufacturers are an easy target for Obama to demagogue, but nothing will be gained by this new order.

It will be a set-up for the federal government to set production quotas for each and every drug in the country. Stalin, Kruschev, and Gorbachev would be proud of Obama.

TParty
TParty 11/02/11 - 08:58 am
L.A Sir- Do you believe what

L.A Sir-

Do you believe what Jesus said in Matthew 5:18 "I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is achieved." meaning that the laws God made in the Old Testament stand true?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 09:05 am
I smell a trap being set.

I smell a trap being set.

hounddog
hounddog 11/02/11 - 09:08 am
shrimp for breakfast, ‘What

shrimp for breakfast, ‘What religion our leaders are? Who gives a blank!’
I would never vote for a Muslim. Look what happened in 08 when people voted for one.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 11/02/11 - 09:28 am
"Do you believe what Jesus

"Do you believe what Jesus said in Matthew 5:18 'I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.' meaning that the laws God made in the Old Testament stand true?" (TParty).

TParty, may I ask what translation you're quoting? I think Jesus was saying, "... Not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished" (ESV). Surely nothing in the law will ever pass away as if God somehow could lose control of everything, but God has made changes to the Law. He did this, for instance, when he did away with the Levitical priesthood and made Christ our high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek. "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there is of necessity a change in the law as well" (Hebrews 7:12 ESV).

The Old Testament laws that God hasn't changed remain true.

TParty
TParty 11/02/11 - 09:58 am
F_A- If you read Matthew

F_A-

If you read Matthew 5:17, Jesus says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Bezukhov
Bezukhov 11/02/11 - 10:04 am
Can any Christian show me one

Can any Christian show me one Scripture where Jesus or any of His Apostles commanded Christians to go forth and seek secular, or Earthly, power over anyone else? Did Jesus ever specifically say that Christians are to impose His moral teachings via any sort of Human government? Can you show me any passage in the Bible where Jesus or any of His Apostles instruct Christians to set up any so-called "Christian Nations"?

In fact, the only example of a Christian being offered any sort of Earthly Power was when Jesus Christ Himself, after fasting in the desert for 40 days., was led by Satan to the top of a high mountain. There Satan offered Jesus 'all the Kingdoms of the World' if he, Jesus do but one act of worship to him, that is to Satan. And Jesus' response? "Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only." (Mathew 4:10)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 10:29 am
They didn't have elections

They didn't have elections back then.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 11/02/11 - 10:30 am
TParty, you've told me, "If

TParty, you've told me, "If you read Matthew 5:17, Jesus says 'Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.'" I've read the verse; but what is the point you're making?

Jesus spoke of what he did and didn't intend to do while he was here. That's why he mentioned coming here for a purpose. According to the Bible, he accomplished that purpose without abolishing any laws. After his resurrection, however, the law had to be changed somewhat because he was made high priest forever although he was not of the tribe of Levi.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 11/02/11 - 10:45 am
"Can any Christian show me

"Can any Christian show me one Scripture where Jesus or any of His Apostles commanded Christians to go forth and seek secular, or Earthly, power over anyone else? Did Jesus ever specifically say that Christians are to impose His moral teachings via any sort of Human government? Can you show me any passage in the Bible where Jesus or any of His Apostles instruct Christians to set up any so-called 'Christian Nations'?" (Brezukhov).

The Bible doesn't prohibit Christians from serving as national leaders. In 1 Timothy 2:1-4, the apostle Paul said God wants all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth, and Paul urged prayer for all people, even kings. So, even kings could be saved, and they're nowhere told to give up their authority once they've converted.

In Romans 13:1-6, Paul said authorities are ministers of God to carry out his will. Carrying out his will, of course, requires that national laws agree with God's laws.

God's second great commandment, requiring us to love our neighbors as ourselves, and our Lord's golden rule, requiring us to treat others as we want to be treated, are a great foundation for any government; in fact, John Locke, whose thoughts influenced our founding fathers, said as much in his Reasonableness of Christianity.

I don't think there can be a better kind of nation than a Christian one.

L.A. Sr
L.A. Sr 11/02/11 - 04:47 pm
InChristLove and

InChristLove and Fundamental_Arinian have made very cogent statements. Their statements give me some hope that we Christians can ban together and put Christian values back in the national spotlight where they belong. May GOD bless you all and yes the secular as well.