Don't bug fun-loving teens

I am sick to death of teenagers being treated like second-class citizens. And don’t even try to lump the good in with the bad – I know the difference as well as anyone.

My 19-year-old has the exact same right to enjoy the Evans library and park as any adult who happens to use the same area at the same time. If an “adult” is intimidated by four or five teenagers sitting under a pavilion, then that adult should stay home where he or she won’t feel endangered!

God forbid teenagers have a place to go to talk, relax and maybe enjoy a laugh or two. Horrifying thought, isn’t it?

The sheer number of adults who cannot tolerate teenagers in the park is so great that many police officers answering calls of complaints actually apologize to the teens when asking them to relocate. Officers know the trouble-makers from the kids who just want to hang out, but they have to satisfy the paranoid complainants who won’t be happy until their own personal sense of entitlement is fulfilled.

So the kids are more mature than the complaining adults, by vacating when they know they’ve done nothing wrong!

If you see a group of teens breaking the law, call the cops. If you see a group of kids having fun, do yourself a favor and see if you can join them! Otherwise, get a treadmill. I’m out of excuses for you sorry individuals who think you are entitled to jog the track without being distracted by anything or anyone.

I suppose the same “entitled” few will try to keep teenagers from using the new Evans park as well. If so, we will probably meet someday – as I pay taxes, too – and I’ve had it.

By the way, exactly where do you think is an appropriate place for teenagers to congregate?

Paula Wahlert

Evans

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/31/11 - 10:50 pm
I have to agree with this

I have to agree with this letter. 18 year old's have rights too. Personally, I believe if you can serve in the military, can vote and can enter into legal contracts authorities should respect your rights in all matters including alcohol consumption.

As far as law abiding teens of all ages just having fun in the park, leave them alone. Snitches have a special place reserved for them.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/31/11 - 10:53 pm
Between 6 AM and 11 PM? A

Between 6 AM and 11 PM? A library, a movie theatre, the Waffle House, to name three.

Between 11 PM and 6 AM? Home.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/01/11 - 04:43 am
Totally agree Riverman! When

Totally agree Riverman! When i was growing up you could drink beer and wine at 18.
A lot of happy teenagers!

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/01/11 - 05:33 am
There are those in every

There are those in every group who make life hard for the rest. That's life. Either find a new place to hang out (home of one of the group would be nice) or bring a football and toss some around. Maybe the fact that the teens are just "hanging out" at the pavillion makes some nervous. With as much nonsense going around, it's understandable.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/01/11 - 06:28 am
18=CONSCRIPTION.

18=CONSCRIPTION.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/01/11 - 06:37 am
I heard they are dancing

I heard they are dancing belly to belly too, ICL.

When I was that age, we used to cruise up and down washington road and park and talk about cars. The cops would always run us off. When that happened, we took it to Riverwatch and raced. I embarrassed quite a few Mustangs in my hopped up 1961 beetle...

Chillen
Chillen 11/01/11 - 07:55 am
If the kids aren't doing

If the kids aren't doing anything wrong then why are they being asked by the cops to relocate? Sounds like the police dept is the problem, not the complaining adult.

Now if there are "no loitering" laws in place for public parks, then the teen adults have to follow them.

Which is it? Because its one or the other.

The author of the letter says. "If so, we will probably meet someday – as I pay taxes, too – and I’ve had it."

Sounds like a threat to me.

catfish20
catfish20 11/01/11 - 08:07 am
I would suspect these

I would suspect these teenagers were cursing and dressed as gangsters.

allhans
allhans 11/01/11 - 09:08 am
I know women who walk at a

I know women who walk at a different park, sometimes singly, sometimes in pairs, and I assure you, that if they saw several youths sitting at a table in the park, they would leave and go back later.

Vito45
Vito45 11/01/11 - 09:26 am
It all depends on how these

It all depends on how these teens are presenting themselves. If they are sitting around cussing and carrying on, look like they just stepped out of Hip Hop Gangsta Weekly with the hoodies and pants down to their crotch; then I understand people being uncomfortable. Yes, that is stereotyping, but that is what you get when you emulate thugs. Want respect, then act and look respectable.

Now, if they ARE respectable in behavior and appearance, I don't see the rub. Leave them be.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/01/11 - 10:37 am
Paula, my 19 year old uses

Paula, my 19 year old uses the facilities with friends and hasn't been asked to leave. If they are behaving why would anyone care, why should they have to leave? If yours isn't, they should leave. Contact the officer that asked them to leave. If not satisfied then, hey, go see Clay Whittle. CCSD is very easy to deal with.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/01/11 - 10:38 am
Taylor B, I fail to see the

Taylor B, I fail to see the point you are trying to make concerning my post. I believe your statement "When I was that age" proves my point. When we were their age, we didn't have all the mess teens seem to get into as they do today.

I agree with Vito45, it is how you present yourself. If you are being respectful, leave them be. A park is a public place and I'm sure if they are behaving themselves all the officer would have to do is speak with them, assure them to continue behaving themselves and when the next complaint comes in, assure the complainer the teens have been spoken too and are not being disruptive.

iLove
iLove 11/01/11 - 12:00 pm
..so only "hip hop" heads

..so only "hip hop" heads cause "trouble" in Evans? Really....?!?

Who knew that a PUBLIC PARK could cause so much confusion amongst people who feel that they are entitled to do what they want? (Both sides)

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/01/11 - 12:43 pm
I don't think the letter is

I don't think the letter is telling the whole story. I am the type of parent that did not always believe everything my teenager said and I find it hard to believe that some teens are not asked to leave and others are for no reason at all. I agree that the teens may be making some people feel uneasy by their actions. I will give it to the letter writer though, she is PO'd but why didn't she rant to the CC Times?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/01/11 - 12:49 pm
Well, notice I qualified my

Well, notice I qualified my support of the teens by saying "law abiding." I've walked past there and have seen groups of them. They were playing guitars, singing, etc. Some were girls. I mean it's like kids trying to find a parking lot to congregate in. The police stop at nothing following them around and running them off. It's simply a youth thing to get together talk and laugh. People desire to be around others.

I went to Waynesville, NC one night and the lone Winn Dixie grocery store in town had a jam packed parking lot with a steady stream of vehicles cruising through it. It took me a while to figure out it was what the kids there did on a Friday night. I mean this goes on in every city, state and country in the world.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 11/01/11 - 01:45 pm
I wonder if this is a case of

I wonder if this is a case of "my child could never do wrong". I've known several of those in my lifetime, and the outcome is never good! But I agree...if the teens are not being disruptive, leave them be. On the other hand, I see teens walking through my neighborhood who aren't hurting anyone. However, their appearance makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't call the cops "just because" but I can understand why someone walking around the blook would feel uncomfortable around a group of teens. In today's society, people fear others because that is what we have been driven to.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/01/11 - 02:04 pm
The new park is awesome. I

The new park is awesome. I love seeing all the toddlers enjoying it with their moms during the day. Brings back the memories...those were the days. It's a nice place to walk too. I love it. It's such a beautiful addition to Evans. I'm confident people will get the hang of sharing it. The only thing I miss, is that was my riding field for a long time...:(

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/01/11 - 02:07 pm
stillamazed, My child's pre

stillamazed, My child's pre school principal told me if I didn't believe everything my kid told me about her, she'd do the same for me!! I never forgot it:) I still love that woman.

athome
athome 11/01/11 - 03:26 pm
I agree with the writer who

I agree with the writer who suggested talking to the responding officer to get the rest of the story! It is often different from the child's story. If you don't believe the officer, find out when visiting hours are on Saturdays.

eagle
eagle 11/01/11 - 04:04 pm
Vito45..couldn't have said it

Vito45..couldn't have said it any better!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/01/11 - 05:51 pm
Vito45..That said it

Vito45..That said it all.....Period.

Vito45
Vito45 11/01/11 - 08:44 pm
EHS Knight Tuesday, Nov. 1

EHS Knight
Tuesday, Nov. 1 6:25 PM
FROM:
Don't bug fun-loving teens

Vito 45,

People have different styles. Dressing one way or another doesn't mean a person is a bad or a thug. I don't particularly like rap music or the rap culture myself. However I've got friends who love the music and who dress what you would probably call "thuggish". None of them are thugs though. They work hard, none of them have ever been arrested, and they are nice as can be. Who are you to say they are less deserving of being left alone and being allowed to hang out somewhere because of how they dress?

What I'm saying is people make choices and they must live with the consequences; those being that people will look at them and make initial impressions on what they see. That is the first thing that hits the brain. If someone is sitting behind me at a ballgame throwing around the Eff word, the first thing that hits my brain about them is what I hear and I immediately have a negative impression. You walk in my office tatted up and down, you have just wasted your time for the professional customer facing position I'm hiring for. By the same token, if you can't speak clearly, you have also wasted your time. In either case, plan on spending your career somewhere else where initial impressions aren't important. Whether thug or not, if you emulate the culture, you've led me to believe it is a good chance that is what you are, and I am not willing to risk my safety or life for your tender feelings. Politically correct or not, I do not care one iota. Prejudiced? Darn tootin it is because I've prejudged them from a distance. I'll take that hit every day to avoid encountering people I don't want to be around. I'll also take that hit every day to avoid the possibility of a negative encounter on the street.
I remember a black guy in Atlanta several years ago complaining that when he is on the street in his Air Jordan's, baggy jeans, and oversize Falcon's jersey, he can hear automatic door locks clicking at intersections when he is crossing and approaching the stopped car with the white lady in it. When he is in his suit in the office he works in they same kinds of ladies give him deference and call him "sir".
Well DUH!! What the heck do you expect? What else does one have to go on but what they see? Anything else is just ignorance and taking chances just to serve PC. I've never done it and won't start now. I trust my instincts and me staying alive is worth more than all of the PCness in the world. Again, people are free to stick all manner of metal in their bodies, all manner of ink ON their bodies, and all manner of sloppy clothing on their bodies. Go right ahead, it is their right, just don't expect the mainstream to accept or like it. That is OUR right.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 11/02/11 - 08:21 am
i agree with the letter

i agree with the letter writer. where can kids congregate? i know of basketball hoops being taken down by the city because kids were congregating there.