Duty isn't abandonment

On Oct. 21, the New York Post featured a story about a married mother of four who abandoned her family to join the Occupy Wall Street protests.

According to the article, her initial plan was to stay only a week. Once she arrived, she now has no plans to return. She exchanged her banker husband and children for a new companion she met at the protest site – a waiter eight years her junior. She exchanged her Florida home for an air mattress and a tarp she shares with her new friend.

Her explanation is appalling and insulting to all who serve our nation, likening her abandoning her family to military service: “Military people leave their families all the time, so why should I feel bad?”

Her comparing her actions to military service offends the senses. True, soldiers, Marines, airmen and sailors leave our families. But we do not choose where to go, or choose causes we support, but we go where our nation sends us. We deploy to hostile areas, with real bullets, where people bleed and die – and not to city parks, as the article mentions, where “hugs” are dispensed at the “empathy table.”

When we leave, we do not abdicate our family responsibilities, leaving them with no plans to return, but while serving our nation, even while deployed, we provide for our families and fulfill our responsibilities.

At the conclusion of my current tour, I will have “left my family” for about 25 percent of my military career – embarrassingly short compared to many of my fellow soldiers. But even so, I did not “leave” them to pursue my fancies, to join a communal protest, or for the purpose of evading my family responsibilities. Every day, when I come home to my empty apartment, I give thanks for my family, who serve their nation by allowing me to be here.

Maj. Robert Lyons

Evans

(The writer, a U.S. Army chaplain, is serving a tour of duty in Germany.)

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/25/11 - 10:14 pm
Well said Major! I

Well said Major! I completely agree!

Vito45
Vito45 10/25/11 - 10:53 pm
I'm speechless at the very

I'm speechless at the very thought of a woman abandoning her children to commune like a 60's hippie. Revolting, disgusting, I can't find the words...

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/25/11 - 11:19 pm
Good letter Major and thank

Good letter Major and thank you for your service to our beloved USA.

I just can't wrap my mind around such a selfish act this woman has displayed. I guess I will never understand why people do the things they do.

allhans
allhans 10/26/11 - 12:41 am
I would think her kids and

I would think her kids and husband are much better off without her.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/26/11 - 03:30 am
Maybe this absconding female

Maybe this absconding female is a distant relative of my father's "mother."

david jennings
david jennings 10/26/11 - 06:45 am
Military people leave thier

Military people leave thier families all the time, so why should I feel bad?
Key words, "why should I feel bad." In my opinion when people do stupid things they must attemp to justify thier actions,actually to themselves, it's dealing with conscience. I believe deep inside there is a truth that cannot be ignored.
Good letter Major, thanks I hadn't heard the story, you very well may be right alhans.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/26/11 - 06:48 am
She met a guy on the internet

She met a guy on the internet is why she's there.

carcraft
carcraft 10/26/11 - 07:10 am
Well these are the folks

Well these are the folks Pelosi and Obama are embracing, go figure!

tinman
tinman 10/26/11 - 07:54 am
A very good letter Major.

A very good letter Major. Thank so much for putting that in perspective. It seems that we have another group of irresponsible society drop-outs. That is so sad, because we live in the best country on Earth and many don't appreciate it.
God Bless America

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/26/11 - 08:24 am
This typifies the

This typifies the rationalizations and pseudointellectualism of the left. Rationalize it is OK to steal from one group of people to give to another-which is basically immoral, unequality before the law, and discriminatory. We seem to be going in the wrong direction. If we all benefit from tax subsidized schools, police, etc. then (to be fair) all should pay. Because my kids are grown and don't attend public schools doesn't give me a free pass not to pay taxes towards that end. Now I'm OK with the progressive system (although I think it unconstitional) but everyone should pay. I have to admit the left's proposal is attractive-forget responsibility, work, ethics, and become a ward of the state. Where do I sign up.

Jane18
Jane18 10/26/11 - 09:01 am

Thank you Major Lyons, for what you do and what you have said. Shrimp, you answered your own question ---selfishness, me, me, me. That is the problem with so many people today. I am wondering why most of our left-leaning friends are not commenting on this article.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/26/11 - 09:06 am
Well said, Major. From a

Well said, Major. From a Vietnam veteran.

Vito45
Vito45 10/26/11 - 09:38 am
Bizkit, we visitied several

Bizkit, we visitied several Scandinavian countries a few years back, and I don't recall which port we were in; but I remember the tour director commenting about their tax system. They had very high income tax rates, but the nanny gov't took care of just about all of their social needs. Some of the people did not like it, but a lot did. It is basically "I give you everything but X% of what I earn, and all I have to do is worry about rent and food."
I think that is what Obama envisions for this country.

Chillen
Chillen 10/26/11 - 10:16 am
Where are all the lefties

Where are all the lefties defending their comrade?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/26/11 - 11:20 am
Yeah Chillen, where indeed?

Yeah Chillen, where indeed?

allhans
allhans 10/26/11 - 11:36 am
Most of the leftist posting

Most of the leftist posting in the last few weeks have been newbies
doing a hit and run thing after a few days of presenting their
retreaded talking points.

Chillen
Chillen 10/26/11 - 12:02 pm
You got it allhans! Paid

You got it allhans! Paid Online Posters. Part of the radical movement we are experiencing in America right now.

Protests, barrage of online posting, legislation, wealth attacks, chaos...they are doing things by the radical rule book.

End Result. Economic destruction of America. Now all of you be good little Soros' and come out today to support your comrade's actions.

carcraft
carcraft 10/26/11 - 12:54 pm
EHS Knight- If this one women

EHS Knight- If this one women were it you would be correct, but so far I have read of paid protestors, occupiers that are stealing from other ocupiers, occupiers deficating on police cars (there was an actual picture on You tube). Deficating and urinating on the ground in parks because they didn't have enought sense to order and pay for proper sanitation. Walking on American flags and getting arrested for all kinds of drug abuse and even parents arrested for letting their kids get drunk. Don't forget the spitting and harrasing active duty military members in uniform. Add to that the fact that protestors actually went to an executives house and terrified his family! Gee sure sounds a lot like the tea party to me....NOT!!!!'Occupy' movements face new concerns over criminal activity
'Occupy' movements face new concerns over criminal activity ... Other members of the Occupy Cleveland movement claim that there have never ...

www.digitaljournal.com/article/313171

Haki
Haki 10/26/11 - 12:52 pm
How do you brand an entire

How do you brand an entire movement with one person's action? And some find the gall to link this to the President. No worry to why we are in such disarray. I thank the writer for his service, but this letter is a little sluggish.

carcraft
carcraft 10/26/11 - 12:58 pm
Haki Obama stated he

Haki Obama stated he supported the movement! www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-occupy-wall-street-we-are-their-side_.... I am not comdemning the movement because of one person, as I said, there have been multiple instances of stupid activity by members of the occupy movement! It just isn't as publicized as the one or two questionable signs at tea party rallies!

carcraft
carcraft 10/26/11 - 01:01 pm
Haki-Here is a link to the

Haki-Here is a link to the harassment of active duty military members! http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/occupy-boston-protesters-spit-...

eagle
eagle 10/26/11 - 03:14 pm
Well said Major. Thank you

Well said Major. Thank you for your service and to your family for their service/support!!

carcraft
carcraft 10/26/11 - 03:56 pm
Major Lyons, an excellent

Major Lyons, an excellent letter, and I to thank you for your service!

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/26/11 - 04:22 pm
EHS - you might want to check

EHS - you might want to check your e-mail affiliated with your AC account. It's not good manners to speak of your host using what may be construed as derogatory language.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/26/11 - 05:47 pm
What less would you expect

What less would you expect from the loony left?