Cain has common sense

Helen Blocker-Adams’ column Oct. 16 regarding Herman Cain (“Herman Cain’s drive, energy inspired me to run for office”) not only was well-written but defined the man as one who should be taken seriously.

I have been an advocate for Mr. Cain for over two-and-a-half years. Not only is he a role model for personal responsibility, but his commonsense approach to personnel management and problem-solving would be a great asset to the office of president of the United States.

He is not one of the slick-faced, slick-talking politicians who have been on the scene too long. We need to remove all of the self-serving members of both the House and the Senate and replace them with patriots who will serve the will of the people.

I have repeatedly asked our representatives to abide by their oaths of office and to respect and uphold the Constitution of the United States. All I receive back, if anything at all, is some form letter that does not address the problems we are facing in the country today.

Mr. Cain’s 9-9-9 plan would benefit all income levels. Another article in the paper stated that the plan would hurt poor people. That is patently not true. Whoever wrote the article did not do the math or follow the logic to its conclusion. Besides, it is just a plan, and opens the door to other rational approaches to solving the fiscal crisis.

Mr. Cain also is an advocate of using our natural resources to recover from the economy, thus increasing manufacturing in the United States, which will increase the job market exponentially.

We as a nation cannot put up with the reckless spending and the failed policies of Barack Hussein Obama (whoever he is?) any longer.

Bob Cipperly

Evans

Techfan
Techfan 10/20/11 - 04:01 am
Ok until it hits the 999

Ok until it hits the 999 plan, just opinion, but there you have to hit facts. The recent study by the Tax Policy Center of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution show the 999 plan would raise taxes on 83.8% of Americans. Tax savings, for the most part, don't start showing up until you hit the $200k range in income. The big savings start at over at the $1 million dollar income range. Definitely not quite a benefit for all income levels. When it gets to the unFair tax, the poor will do ok, the rich great, and the tax burden will shift to the low wage earners and to the middle class.

Techfan
Techfan 10/20/11 - 06:47 am
When the links are approved,

When the links are approved, you'll see Cain is a liar. You are right in that a person paying 15% on $1 million pays a higher dollar amount than someone paying 28% on $150k, but he is paying a lower percentage of his income. The 999 plan will raise your taxes and probably mine as well, I haven't done the calculations but I'm somewhat of a higher income earner. If you pay no taxes now, and are hit with a 9% income tax, plus 9% of ALL purchases (since you said you are low income, I would think almost 100% would need to be spent), you'd face an 18% tax rate (there are no deductions except for charitable contributions and undetermined enterprise zones) Face it, the 999 plan is extremely regressive. The bright side is that you can buy used food and used medicine tax free.

TParty
TParty 10/20/11 - 07:36 am
The fun thing about those who

The fun thing about those who support Cain's 9-9-9 plan is that Americans rather pay more in taxes then do math.

Myfather- I'm in a bracket of a decent high income, and it's only myself I am supporting. I noticed you said you're in a lower bracket, and that you have child tax credits. With Cain's plan, you won't get those anymore.

I admire your desire to pay more in taxes, I guess your fair share. I just... I just rather live in a society where someone like myself can pay extra on taxes- because I can afford it- if it means you can save more for your children. If it means a family can feed their children and heat their homes during the winter. I want this society, and try to follow in it because it's what Jesus wants.

"Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

david jennings
david jennings 10/20/11 - 07:56 am
Tech you warned me Cain' plan

Tech you warned me Cain' plan would cost me more and I apprreciate the info.However I like the fact this issue is being talked about more,I think Perry is planning to introduce a plan.Cain' idea is far from being implemented and no it's not a perfect solution but I think it is a step in the right direction.

Techfan
Techfan 10/20/11 - 08:11 am
I think Perry is going for a

I think Perry is going for a flat tax, still regressive. Have a bunch of links being held hostage on the 999 plan.

Techfan
Techfan 10/20/11 - 08:12 am
If the papers haven't gotten

If the papers haven't gotten to it yet, Gaddafi was captured, wounded and has died.

Chillen
Chillen 10/20/11 - 09:04 am
We have the second highest

We have the second highest corporate income tax rates IN THE WORLD.

A lower corporate tax rate would encourage businesses to return here and relocate here. It would be a BOOM for business, our economy and much to the Cain naysayers chagrin - our tax base.

Corporate tax rates are roughly 35%. If they are lowered to 9% then we should see a drop in prices of goods & services by 26%. Why? Because corporate taxes are paid by the consumer! It's built into the price! Many companies would immediately do it to get you to buy their product and others would follow suit. Quickly.

A car that costs $30,000 would drop to $22,200.
A shovel that costs $25 would drop to $18.50.
A $3 loaf of obama-inflation bread would drop to $2.22.

Seems like a great plan to me. Unless you are a socialist or a marxist or a moocher who doesn't currently pay one red cent.

Techfan
Techfan 10/20/11 - 09:03 am
Sure they will. When they got

Sure they will. When they got the last tax holiday, no jobs, no drop in prices, it all went to shareholders and bonuses.

Chillen
Chillen 10/20/11 - 09:07 am
Because it wasn't permanent

Because it wasn't permanent techfan. Business owners plan for the future. If they know something is temporary it doesn't change behavior and produce the desired consequences. I know. I own a business.

Techfan
Techfan 10/20/11 - 09:11 am
So do I, although I only have

So do I, although I only have 2 suppliers (artists). Most cost is labor. We still can't compete with the .12 and .14 cents cost on the dollar from China and Mexico without tarrifs.

allhans
allhans 10/20/11 - 09:28 am
Techfan "...Gaddafi was

Techfan "...Gaddafi was captured, wounded and has died."
I was glad to see that Paris and London gets the credit for this. It is about time countries other than the U.S. took the initiative in this fight for freedom.

harley_52
harley_52 10/20/11 - 09:30 am
Chillen said "So, under

Chillen said "So, under Cain's plan, you pay 9% sales tax on products that cost 26% less. You only pay 9% income tax."

This is the aspect of the 9-9-9 plan that is generally ignored. We both understand why it's ignored. It's because if you ignore the secondary and tertiary effects of the 26% reduction in the Corporate Income Tax rates the plan really is what these folks claim about it. So it helps them "prove" their points to ignore it.

allhans
allhans 10/20/11 - 09:33 am
Don't you love Joe Biden..all

Don't you love Joe Biden..all the teachers and law enforcement officers that were hired temporarily are now out of work? What did he and Obama think would happen when the temporary funds ran out?

Good gracious gertie...what a ...

faithson
faithson 10/20/11 - 09:34 am
Cain is just to 'un

Cain is just to 'un cultivated', he steps in it with wild abandon and then walks his way back, expecting all to understand his 'business like' approach, which has served him well in the corporate world, but makes for an unseasoned politician running for the highest job in the land. His 'off the top of his head' responses are to much like his radio show and we don't need a media personality who makes a living being divisive.

allhans
allhans 10/20/11 - 01:38 pm
I look at our tax situation

I look at our tax situation as I did with the health plan. It needs reworking but don't throw the baby out with the bathhwater...
Too much, too fast, in my estimation is the wrong way to go.

We have already seen this with Obamacare.

Chillen
Chillen 10/20/11 - 09:47 am
allhans. Seems as though the

allhans. Seems as though the liberals didn't learn a thing from Biden's experience. Just yesterday Harry Reid said this on the floor of the Senate.

"It's very clear that private-sector jobs have been doing just fine; it's the public-sector jobs where we've lost huge numbers, and that's what this legislation is all about,"

Government is good. Government is great. Government is the answer.

If you repeat it enough times, it MUST be true! LOL!

LemonJello
LemonJello 10/20/11 - 09:48 am
I don't think the plan is

I don't think the plan is perfect. But, I think its a start to thinking outside the box and a start to the conversation of changing how our tax system works for the betterment of this country. Now, if we could get over the dem/rep division and do things for the good instead of for the votes we may be on the right track. Even though Cain is conservative, his plan is quite progressive and worthy of the conversation and attention.

Chillen
Chillen 10/20/11 - 09:49 am
faithson. Have some faith in

faithson. Have some faith in Cain. He's smart enough to pick a very seasoned VP to deal with the "lack of experience" naysayers.

His lack of political experience is what I like about him. Career politicians have utterly failed us all.

faithson
faithson 10/20/11 - 10:04 am
What is being lost in the 999

What is being lost in the 999 discussion is social security and medicare. Here is were the rubber meets the road and you can define your political bent. Should the government be in the retirement savings and medical business or NOT. Should the lowest 25% economically of Americans be expected to be financially responsible for their retirement and if not, let them go live on the trash dump piles like they do in third world countries while the top 20% economically live the 'good life' and will provide for the poor as they see fit. Pretty striking difference. Anyone who believes America is a Great Nation 'in spite of' our socialist tendencies is sorely mistaken. Our ability to provide for our elderly is a 'gold standard' to all the other nations of the world. We can 'dump' this standard, but at the peril of becoming a true third world nation.

faithson
faithson 10/20/11 - 09:59 am
@chillen. You know the same

@chillen. You know the same can be said of our present leader.... an we all know how that is working. It is just to bad that the character of our leadership in government has reached such low levels. Doesn't bode well for dealing with the real world problems that must be addressed.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/20/11 - 10:10 am
There is so much more

There is so much more involved in Cain's plan than meets the eye and all of the what ifs. For the sake of argument even IF Cain's 999 plan could work, it would take years , if ever, to get it passed. This economy needs help now. Major cuts to the budget, reduced government spending here and abroad, rolled back current tax codes, and focus on growing some jobs.

Cain is a nice, smart, hardworking American who has no idea what he is up against in Washington and this country has no time for the years it would take to bring him up to speed. We've already lived with four years of change. We need to do what we know will work -- REDUCE, CUT, WORK.

We had better stop worrying about who is divorced and who cut someone's grass, and elect someone who can help get us back on track financially.

Cain is a marketer, and 999 is a marketing plan.

Chillen
Chillen 10/20/11 - 10:13 am
faithson, I'm not sure

faithson, I'm not sure exactly what you are saying but I think you are saying that the 9-9-9 plan will hurt seniors & the poor.

They will be OK. A huge percentage of their check is used to buy food, clothes, etc - especially the seniors who should have their homes paid for by retirement time. The cost of those items purchased will go down by 26%. In return they will pay 9% sales tax and 9% income tax. 26 minus 18 is 8%. Seems like a gain for the individual to me.

The plan is not perfect. But its better than what we have right now! It sure has America thinking about how much we are actually paying in federal taxes (36% of EVERY SINGLE product you purchase!!!!) plus income taxes for 53% of us.

Your second point - what to do about the govt being in the retirement & healthcare business is an entirely different and lengthy discussion.

Also, no one in America will live in a trash dump. That's what family & friends are for. Right now they aren't stepping up to the plate because the govt provides. If the govt stops, people will rise to the occasion. No one's going to throw Grandma and Grandpa in the trash heap. Have faith in your fellow man.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/20/11 - 10:16 am
Cain's 999 plan; just another

Cain's 999 plan; just another shinny political object: Squirrel.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/20/11 - 10:18 am
According to the Huffington

According to the Huffington Post, under Cain's 999 tax plan, Billionaire Warren Buffett would pay no taxes.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/20/11 - 10:31 am
On any given night in

On any given night in America, anywhere from 700,000 to 2 million people are homeless, according to estimates of the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty. Those numbers are expected to increase by at least 5% in the next year due to the conditions of this economy.

When we think of the homeless, we may think of those who are mentally ill, on drugs, or too sorry to work. That isn't the case at all. There many Americans out of work, homes foreclosed upon who are in this plight. The statistics are complied of single men, single moms, families, the elderly and the youth from 13-17 who have no place to lay their heads tonight.

harley_52
harley_52 10/20/11 - 10:46 am
bjphysics said "Cain's 999

bjphysics said "Cain's 999 plan; just another shinny political object: Squirrel.

Personally, I can't think of any.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/20/11 - 10:56 am
harley_52 >No kidding? If

harley_52

>No kidding? If it's "just another," perhaps you can name a few other "shinny political object(s)?"

Personally, I can't think of any.<

“Nine Nine Nine” (three words, three syllables)

Obama’s jobs plan comes to mind.

“Pass This Bill” (three words, three syllables)

harley_52
harley_52 10/20/11 - 11:07 am
bjphysics said "“Nine Nine

bjphysics said "“Nine Nine Nine” (three words, three syllables)

Obama’s jobs plan comes to mind.

“Pass This Bill” (three words, three syllables)"

Okay, but what's so "shinny" about them? Are you suggesting they're hockey-like, or what?

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/20/11 - 11:25 am
harley_52: “Okay, but what's

harley_52: “Okay, but what's so ‘shinny’ about them? Are you suggesting they're hockey-like, or what?”

ADHOS : Attention Deficit Hyperactive--Ooh, Shiny!

>ADHOS stands for "attention deficit hyperactive--Ooh, Shiny!" It's a very severe case of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, where even the smallest shiny object can capture your attention, forcing you to stop what you're doing and--ooh. That's a shiny marble.<