Let owners decide smoking

If I were a business owner and I wanted my customers to be allowed to smoke in my taxpaying business, and the door was closed except for customers to open it to come and go, then why shouldn’t I be able to choose what I want to do? If there is a sign on the door that says smokers are allowed, and you are of age, of sound mind and can read, then it is your choice to open that door and go inside.

Is there any common sense left in this country? If you don’t want to go in because of smokers, then don’t open the door and go in! If I don’t like a certain restaurant, then I don’t eat there.

We should be able to choose what we do as long as it doesn’t involve breaking the law, and I do not condone imposing a no-smoking ban behind closed doors on business owners who pay taxes, if it is not agreed upon by the owners themselves.

Belinda Ramirez

Hephzibah

copperhead
copperhead 10/16/11 - 10:50 pm
Citizens making their own

Citizens making their own decisions about their own property?? How absurd can it get?? We all know the government knows what is best for us!l They are on our side are here to kelp us! They must protect us from ourselves.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/16/11 - 10:57 pm
Spot on LTE!

Spot on LTE!

Haki
Haki 10/17/11 - 01:16 am
Yeah, I should be able to

Yeah, I should be able to carry anything considered ultra hazardous amongst the public when I feel. Forget what the government officials elected by the citizens enact for their constitutes.

david jennings
david jennings 10/17/11 - 08:05 am
I have never used tobacco,I

I have never used tobacco,I don't like to be around the terrible atmosphere it creates when it is burned, so I simply stay away from it. I do so by choosing not to go in a place where it is being used. There are one or two places I visit occassionally where smokers are present. I go there knowing people are smoking and I go on my own free will and I don't complain, when I've had enough I leave, no problem. When the government makes these laws that makes people feel good that they are being protected is good but we need to stop and think of the freedom lost also. Let the private business owners decide what's best for thier investment.

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/17/11 - 08:33 am
Hey Brenda, instead of

Hey Brenda, instead of whining about the state smoking ban in restaurants, why don't you complain about the health care bill Obama and the Dem controlled congress rammed down our throats requiring everyone working to purchase health insurance. Isn't THAT our government overstepping its authority as well?

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/17/11 - 09:21 am
Very well stated david

Very well stated david jennings!

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 10/17/11 - 09:38 am
Honestly, that's exactly why

Honestly, that's exactly why I stopped my daily routine of buying a newspaper from the newsstand and visiting my favorite diner every day. I started brewing my own coffee at home and reading the news online.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/17/11 - 08:03 pm
Banning a private business

Banning a private business from allowing smoking just seems like the ultimate overreach of the nanny state government. What is next? Shall I be banned from smoking in my own home because the pest control guy has to "work" there? I surely wouldn't want to expose the pest control guy to cigarette smoke while he sprays my house with toxic chemicals. How far will these crusaders be allowed to go? They need to keep their nose out of smoking establishments and out of other people's business. Non-smokers have been sufficiently protected for many years. Smokers have been segregated, regulated, and taxed beyond any other segment of the population pursuing a legal activity. If a business wants to cater to smokers is there any logic in the world that would not allow that to happen? If I have to make the choice, and I do, to not take my wife out to a restaurant very often because they do not allow a smoking section (sorry restauranteers, it used to be twice a week and now it's maybe once a month), why is it too much to ask that non-smokers make the choice to not patronize a bar that allows smoking? It's time for the crusaders to get a different cause. I recommend crusading against all scented makeup, creams, perfumes, after shave, and cologne in the workplace, government buildings, and restaurants. They give me an allergy attack. On the other hand, crusaders make me want to puke so could you outlaw them too.

Vito45
Vito45 10/17/11 - 08:26 pm
All of the above comments are

All of the above comments are just anti-government rantings. Way too much common sense being spoken here to be pro- gov! :)

Myfather, you will probably disagree; but I do NOT mind government requirements to list nutritional contents. That way, for those of us who might be on a nutrient restriction can make informed choices on what dish to order at a restaurant. I need to watch saturated fats for chronic hypercholesterolemia for example, so if I know I've had 10 grams that day I need to steer clear of any dish that has a lot. Sometimes you intuitively know what to avoid but not always, and it is not a particular inconvenience for the restaurant to list it. I can take any recipe and have the major nutritional values calculated in a matter of minutes. If I can, they can.

Mother arrested with pot in car

Richmond County sheriff's deputies arrested an Augusta woman Saturday after she was found with 447 grams of marijuana in her car hidden near her children, a police report states.