Patient data plan intrusive

Does anybody really believe the new federally
mandated electronic patient health data system is now being implemented to benefit humanity? Having others keep track of your medical records can have a real down side.

Your personal health information soon can become fodder for anyone willing to pay. Even the health-care industry recently stated, “It is not adequately prepared to protect patients from data breaches.”

The majority of health-care organizations plan to expand the purpose of the new system. It could track you to see if you are taking your medications, or note that you refused recommended vaccines. Nobody other than my immediate family should know this information.

The fact that doctors and hospitals are having their arms twisted to comply with this plan leads me to wonder if everyone’s guts have been surgically removed.

Maurine Meleck

North Augusta, S.C.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/15/11 - 12:26 am
I went to the emergency room

I went to the emergency room a few weeks ago (MCG) because it was the weekend and my back flared up. I have degenerative disk disease. I have no idea how they knew it but they knew every medication that my Doctor had prescribed for me over the last year. From blood pressure meds to pain killers. I was flabergasted. I was also livid. They were not able to give me a legitimite excuse and my doctor didin't even know how they did it. Needless to say I will not be going back there under any circumstances and I have a good mind to report them to whoever it is you report them too. I thought that there were privacy issues here. I have no idea how they got that information but I wasso mad at them I could have just SPIT!

Vito45
Vito45 10/15/11 - 12:45 am
I would withhold judgment on

I would withhold judgment on the LTE until I knew more. HIPAA violations are taken very seriously; at least for the hospitals and their vendors.

madgerman
madgerman 10/15/11 - 08:43 am
I am not sure how they would

I am not sure how they would track to see if I am taking my medications. As an adult I also don't understand what vaccinations the writer is refering to. As to the medical records, I would hope someone has a list of my medications if I should have a serious accident. I also would hope the doctor I am seeing knows "all" of the meds I am taking before he makes a diagnosis of my health. P.S. unlike a well known radio host, I don't need multiple doctors prescriptions for oxicontin and maybe this is the way to keep addicts from their magic pills.

soldout
soldout 10/15/11 - 09:43 am
By using alternative care and

By using alternative care and getting off all medications after a while there won't be any tracking; if that is a concern. Through the use of NAET, sunshine, plenty of water, organic foods, little sugar and a some exercise; doctors and hospitals won't be a big part of anyone's life. God wants you well and drug companies prefer you be sick. I will stick with God's choice.

Vito45
Vito45 10/15/11 - 09:54 am
Someone feel free to correct

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you sign a release when you first go to a new physician granting permission for them to share your medical information as needed with your insurance company and other medical professionals.
Having it in a central electronic repository makes me nervous, as it should everyone; but one huge advantage is as madgerman points out, in an emergency they have your full medical history instantly at their fingertips. Also, we are on the cusp of utilizing what not too long ago was "futuristic" artificial intelligence to aid in diagnosis. A computer of that type can pool all of the expert and historical information of the best medical minds in the world to diagnose patients anywhere in the world via the internet. It will be able to take H&P, order tests, then follow up tests based on initial findings, collate all of the information, make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment. All with physician oversight of course.

bailmeout4
bailmeout4 10/15/11 - 06:46 pm
Shrimp, If you receive all of

Shrimp,

If you receive all of your medical care at MCG, then all of your records are available to doctors at MCG including ER. Why do you want to hide your medical info from your doctors? Wouldn't you want want them to know what meds you are on so they can prescribe accordingly and avoid any dangerous interactions? Or know that you that you may have had an MRI last week and there is no reason to order another $2000 MRI? Or avoid having drug seekers overdose? HIPPA and other privacy laws are designed to protect your information from those that do not need it. If we move to a national health plan, we need a national health record, the VA is already integrated. It saves docs from repeating tests and having all notes and previous care in one place. It will save millions!

allhans
allhans 10/15/11 - 07:35 pm
I think you are right Vito,

I think you are right Vito, when I was last at one of my doctor's he immediately went on the computer to see what my general practioner had prescribed for me. Fast. It took only seconds, but you know, with all the other intrusions it is hard to work up much enthusiasm.