Remember to respect life

There is a gift called life – a sacred gift from God for us to protect, defend and safeguard from the culture of death. October has been designated as Respect Life Month for the good of all people.

This gift of life is from conception until natural death. It is comprehensive and all-inclusive of all stages of human development, and it is a moral obligation and challenge to be the stewards of this most cherished and priceless gift from God.

I do thank all pro-life people seeking to end abortion; contraception; and violence against the elderly, weak, vulnerable and innocent – safeguarding the rights to be born and live a good, productive life in society, and with the rights, privileges and responsibilities of caring for one another with love.

I keep praying that our society will place a high premium of the gift of life from God at all times as we honor, respect and value all human life from conception to natural death.

The Rev. Michael Lubinsky

Augusta

(The writer is parochial vicar at the Church of the Most Holy Trinity in Augusta.)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/13/11 - 10:20 pm
Now Father I agree life is

Now Father I agree life is precious. I have always thought this way and have acted accordingly.
But when you say that contraception is wrong I must disagree. Just what is a husband and wife supposed to do if they don't want a child yet they want to show each other the utmost love? This is one reason I left the Catholic church. To many things that don't make sense. I can understand the stance on abortion because it doesn't seem right. I'm not sure conception is the beginning of life either. It's just a bunch of cells.
Maybe I'm going to hell. According to you i am. I won't be alone though!

Vito45
Vito45 10/13/11 - 10:33 pm
SFB, you are thinking from a

SFB, you are thinking from a practical/logical POV rather than an emotional/religious/theoretical one. I appreciate people wanting to follow the teachings of the Bible, but my experience has been that it is so wide open for interpretation, that you you need to follow your heart in what is logical and practical, as long as you adhere to some of the basic premises of how you treat other people in particular.
There is no greater pleasure in life than making love. I didn't say "sex"; that is always good, but having sex for the sake of it vs having sex with someone you are in love with are two different things. My practical side tells me that God intended for us to use it for more than just procreation, that is what separates us from lower animals.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/13/11 - 11:04 pm
A little sanity. I understand

A little sanity.
I understand what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/14/11 - 12:23 am
SFB, there are more ways to

SFB, there are more ways to show love than sex.

Vito, it's more than just religious beliefs. It's basic science. If you find someone lying in the street, you check their pulse to see if they are alive. Why is it any different for a baby?

A Little Sanity, murder - even if rationalized - is still murder.

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/11 - 05:31 am
America lost Steve Jobs last

America lost Steve Jobs last week, he was adopted!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/14/11 - 06:12 am
Vito, very nice comment.

Vito, very nice comment. What you described is the difference between immediate and temporary gratification and complete intimacy of which the later is most perfectly accomplished through becoming one in Christ with your mate. As to living well and treating others with respect, I agree, that should be our goal, although it is critical to know that those attributes alone will not lead us to eternal living. The only way for eternity will be through the blood of Christ. Those who have experienced the euphoria of sexual intimacy, have a sample of what awaits for those who will live and reign with our Lord in heaven.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 06:15 am
Willow, your comment is so

Willow, your comment is so well spoken. Have a blessed day.

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/11 - 06:25 am
Excellent Willow!

Excellent Willow!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/14/11 - 06:27 am
Thank you ICL. I hope you do

Thank you ICL. I hope you do as well. Talk to you Sunday. Pray for me, having a Harley weekend. Think he's trying to break me in for Daytona.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 06:40 am
You too Willow.....should be

You too Willow.....should be a good weekend for a nice ride. Bike week in Daytona is this weekend....if that's where you're heading, make sure you bring a strap for your mouth because some sights you see will make your jaw drop.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 06:47 am
Well, it's beyond

Well, it's beyond me....wonder what word the filter caught that would hold my comment for moderation?

TrickMe
TrickMe 10/14/11 - 07:06 am
I doubt over-population is

I doubt over-population is the real concern, but anyone using overpopulation as a support for abortion ought to look at what we do in this country that entices young girls, totally ill-equipped spiritually, physically, emotionally, financially, to have children. We PAY them. And we pay them more for each child they have. I am in a profession that through the years has allowed me to witness this first hand hundreds of times. The 20 year old that has 5 children hasn't hesitated to tell me why she did it - not for love of children, not because she couldn't get contraception - but because she gets a check every month per child. I have heard it over and over again. All too often, the consequences those children have to endure in life are sad. And the consequences can and often do end up devastating everyone involved as well as society. Our current system breeds generational poverty in this aspect.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/14/11 - 07:25 am
Insider Information tells me

Insider Information tells me there's more ways to show love than sex.
While I agree My wife and I never feel closer when we are making love. If you think I'm going to stop because some Catholic priest says contraception is wrong he's out of his mind. It's easy for a priest to say because they're chaste.
My wife would be madder than a hornet if I told her we couldn't make love anymore because of some stupid priest!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/14/11 - 07:51 am
shrimp...Listen to that very

shrimp...Listen to that very smart wife of yours...LOL

We have billions of people on this planet---soon we will overuse our resources...look at the very poor countries right now (Haiti for instance)
Birth control is needed & that is a personal choice...sad that others & some religions want to push their agenda--I'm not advocating abortion but birth control methods that work properly.....
BTW Dr.Oz says to be healthy we should have sex at least a couple of times a week... I know the guys will approve of that.:)

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/14/11 - 08:20 am
I have always supported

I have always supported physicians legal right to perform abortions-not women have a right to an abortion as they have a right to privacy by SCOTUS. But with birth control advances I don't understand why we still average 1.2-14 million abortions per years-seems ridiculous or ignorant or lazy. So in 2009 roughly 2.4 million Americans died-mostly of heart disease and cancer, and then the same year 1.4 million babies are prematurely exterminated. Biologically, life begins at conception because life is a continuum (basic biology and evolution 101). Humans are animals and there is very little to distinquish us from other animals-language, use of tools, etc are all shared by various other animals. We do have great cognitive abilities because of our 6 layered neocortex but so do chimps and dolphins. Advances in science basically point to we are just another animal and not a very successfull one in terms of diversity and numbers-rodents beat us there. Science can be depressing. I don't have a problem with murdering babies or executing criminals-it is all murder. Apparently we humans like to kill. Even David was an adulterer, liar, and murderer yet still the apple of God's eye.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/14/11 - 08:38 am
War, disease, and famine have

War, disease, and famine have always biologically and theologically regulated our population. You can't beat evolution so for every disease we cure a new one will inevitably evolve, famine will always be problem as recorded throughout history (mini-ice age the potato plight and migration of Irish to America for example), and War which marks the history of the human race. Sad but true. I don't believe science will cure these ills, but I do believe the world's religions can teach altruism, love and peace which can go a long way to help solve the problem. Now I realize that all religions have had violent histories too, but that doesn't negate the premise of the religions which are antithetical to this violence and killing. Bizarre or just Bizarro. hee,hee.

Piperpig
Piperpig 10/14/11 - 08:55 am
While I support a woman's

While I support a woman's right to choose abortion as well an individual's right to use contraception, I do believe the Catholic Church's teachings on those issues are quite moving.

Shrimpforbreakfast: I know you were joking, but I have to take this opportunity to say that Father Lubinsky is anything but a "stupid priest." I'm not Catholic (actually I'm Episcopalian), but I've heard a few of Father Lubinsky's sermons and, let me just say, he is a thinking man.

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/11 - 08:59 am
"I don't have a problem with

"I don't have a problem with murdering babies or executing criminals-it is all murder". Removing a person who has demostrated no respect for life to defend the innocent from further damage is the same as tearing a baby out of the Womb? Sicking a needle in the head of a baby as it decends the birth canal and sucking it's brain out is the same as executing a person who raped killed and burned with no concern for the victims? Put these animals in jail for life? So they can plot ways to hurt others like Tookie Williams?

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/14/11 - 09:03 am
The human population has

The human population has skyrocketed from less than 1.25 billion people at the turn of the 20th Century to just under 7 billion people currently. The planet cannot sustain the exponential growth of humans. Contraception is an absolute necessity. We are killing our planet with our demands. Also, how can you sincerely advocate being against abortion AND contraception? Ideology of birth control (or rather no birth control) based on iron age documents from a time when humans were overall a sparse species is senseless.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/14/11 - 09:23 am
Carcraft I'm saying it is

Carcraft I'm saying it is capricious to distinquish killing. It is OK to kill human in time of war-but in reality it is still murder. It maybe legal to execute prisoners or abort babies-but it is still murder. I know in legal terms murder relates to rule of law but any time we take a human life it is fundamentally wrong. But the world is like it is so to be consistent I have to tolerate all this killing by the capricious rationalization of when is it "OK" to kill and when it isn't. So in reality I'm against killing by abortion, death sentence or war, but the reality is so different I realize I have to tolerate what is. It is like "equality under the law" sounds like a great idea but it doesn't exist-the poor are more likely to go to prison, and our progressive tax system discriminates against people by income (no different that discrimination by race which is in essence what is happening too since so many wealthy are caucasian). Bizarro world.

faithson
faithson 10/14/11 - 09:26 am
Women's reproductive rights

Women's reproductive rights is the issue. The good Father advocates for the denial of those rights. A woman has the right to bring a 'wanted' child into this world. We are swamped with the 'unwanted' as the rate of delinquency and child/mothers has increased dramatically. We must deal with 21st century 'reality', not 17th century theory based upon 17th century social demands. (Aquinas)

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 09:51 am
Cassandra I hope you are not

Cassandra I hope you are not saying that birth control is just another form of abortion? Did I misunderstand your comment?

** After reviewing the comment, I believe I misunderstood your comment about being against Abortion AND Contraceptives. I am all for contraceptives but definitely against abortion.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/14/11 - 09:53 am
ICL - yes you misunderstood.

ICL - yes you misunderstood. How can a person be against preventing the undesired pregnancy that will result in the abortion? Makes no sense to me.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/14/11 - 10:02 am
Such disturbing messages. No

Such disturbing messages. No contraception? How irresponsible when there are so many unwanted children out there. Don't come back and say that the children can be adopted out... not unless YOU are going to adopt them because the orphans are plentiful and those who are willing to take them in are not. For those that are lucky enough to find a family- the government makes it difficult as heck for them to even go through the process. As far as when life BEGINS... when that little mass of cells can sustain itself without the mother. THAT is MY definition of when life begins!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/14/11 - 10:12 am
If it weren't for

If it weren't for contraception my wife would divorce me. I suppose there would be a lot of divorces if that were the case.
If you use contraception you won't have to worry about abortion.
One reason I'm against abortion is because if people are so stupid that they don't use birth control then they should be forced to raise the child or put it up for adoption. I just cannot understand people having sex without protection unless they want a child.

And Piperpig yea I was just joking. I didn't mean stupid priest. It just came out wrong. I actually love the Catholic Mass and really wish I could find a good Catholic church in this city. Any ideas?

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 11:32 am
" How can a person be against

" How can a person be against preventing the undesired pregnancy that will result in the abortion?"

Because believers who follow biblical teachings, are basing their view on how they interpret the scriptures. Some have the concept that God is creator of life and if it is His will He alone should decide when life is created and when it is not.

Scripture does not specifically address the use of contraceptives, for or against. It is (IMO) one of those things where we have to pray and ask for God's guidance. One thing all believers will agree on, the Lord holds children dear to his heart and refers to them as blessings. I believe when scripture is unclear, we are to continue to study His Word, pray for direction, and then base your decision on His leading.

If a nonbeliever is against contraceptives, the reason is anyone's guess.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/14/11 - 11:44 am
"Cells forming & multiplying

"Cells forming & multiplying over a period of a few months inside a uterus (i.e the embryo stage) is not a child. They are cells undergoing a chemical reaction & growing to *potentially* form a child. But they are NOT a child." That is ignorant. It is called a conceptus and all the instructions to form a unique human being start at fertilization and the formation of a zygote. The zygote may split and form a monozygotic twin. Further, development doesn't stop at birth-nerve and muscle connections are fine tuned by use, the brain develops a huge amount after birth, babies don't have a shiver reflex yet, they exhibit the Babinski reflex which is abnormal in adults, etc. By your definition even a newborn isn't a fully formed human being. Jeez. Take a good biology course.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 12:00 pm
A Little Sanity, pro-lifers

A Little Sanity, pro-lifers do have compassion for women. A woman has the same right to have or not to have a legalized abortion as to have or not to have an illegalized abortion. Whether it’s dangerous or not, is not the point....legalized abortion is dangerous also. Please explain to me, why I should have to adopt at least 2 children that some woman didn’t want (not that the child is an unwanted child, cause God should wanted them enough to create them) just because I don’t want them killed. Why doesn’t the woman and man that decided to have unprotected sex, that choose to create them, be responsible for them.
Your opinion is that cells forming & multiplying over a period of a few months inside a uterus is not a child. Well my opinion differs from yours. I believe that it is a child. So, why is your opinion the right view and mine is the wrong view? Who gave you the authority to decide?
After reading your second comment, I’m thinking your screen name is perfect. Everyone does deserve a chance at life and miscarriages have nothing to do with this.
There you go again, playing the authoritarian, deciding what constitutes a human and what constitutes a “vermiform lump”. What proof do you have that it is not a real baby, that it has no conscious or feelings? Memories.....Can you recall every memory you’ve had since your mother gave birth to you? Can you recall being 1 year old, what about 6 months.....so if I can remember things of when I was 3 months old or 6 months old, then I’m not human. I say Insanity (or should I say Citibank?)

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 12:03 pm
"Please provide one other

"Please provide one other case in which one human is allowed to attach....." Insanity....That's why it's call a MOTHER

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/11 - 12:10 pm
Sanity. God is the creator

Sanity. God is the creator of life and woman miscarriage because we are imperfect humans. Our bodies are no longer perfect the way He made us so due to the imperfections, sometimes our body rejects a life that has cease to exist due to medical complications in our body.

Abortion isn't about judgement, yes that is God's job, but I do believe it is our job as Children of God to protect the life/lives he has created. There will never be an agreement to this issue because people that believe the way you do, believe from a worldy standpoint. And believers like myself, believe from a spiritual standpoint.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...